Start by marking “Why Place Matters: Geography, Identity, and Civic Life in Modern America” as Want to Read:
Why Place Matters: Geography, Identity, and Civic Life in Modern America

Why Place Matters: Geography, Identity, and Civic Life in Modern America

Contemporary American society, with its emphasis on mobility and economic progress, all too often loses sight of the importance of a sense of “place” and community. Appreciating place is essential for building the strong local communities that cultivate civic engagement, public leadership, and many of the other goods that contribute to a flourishing human life.

Do we, in lo
Published February 25th 2014 by Encounter Books (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Why Place Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Place Matters

Jennie Richards
Sep 21, 2015 Jennie Richards rated it really liked it
This well-researched book has given me a deeper awareness and consciousness about the meaning and sense of "place." I bought the book because I have come to believe that there are places where we really thrive better than others. Whether it's the energy of the place or city, the sense of community, the physical beauty, culture, arts, nature, people or parks -- there are certain places where each of us becomes more alive, reaches our potential more easily and naturally, and we became our best ...more
The American Conservative
"Ted McAllister closes his essay by noting that “Healthy freedom, at least in the American story, require[s] places that move citizens to love where they live, to find themselves part of a local story … and to invest their time and energy in the evolution of a place strange, distinct, and perhaps even a little weird.” Why Place Matters provides resources that challenge, educate, and encourage anyone disquieted by a felt loss of attachment to consider seriously how place might be revived and our ...more
Bruce
Aug 23, 2014 Bruce rated it really liked it
Collected reflections on local places from a number of disciplinary perspectives, growing out of a 2011 conference at Pepperdine's public policy school. There are several common themes, most notably the importance of place to individual identity, and the need to protect places from the bigs (government, planners, developers). I particularly valued Joseph A. Amato's essay on the role of local historians, and Gary Toth's piece on the impact of transportation policy choices on places.
Jake Cooper
Jan 15, 2015 Jake Cooper rated it it was ok
Two of the 16 essays are good, but the majority do little to dispel the humanities' reputation as:
- vacuous ("Place draws us back to the past, but it also serves us as a launching pad from which we are made capable of thrusting forward and upward.")
- vague science minus data ("What family members do around each other at home has less and less to do with each other.")
Mark Perkins
Mark Perkins rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Michael Krysiak
Michael Krysiak rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Sequoia
Sequoia rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Michiel
Michiel rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Christopher Jackson
Christopher Jackson rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Becky Hsu
Becky Hsu rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Jonathan DenHartog
Jonathan DenHartog rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Ashton Tassin
Ashton Tassin rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Quinn Parman
Quinn Parman rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Blake Blount
Blake Blount rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Kenny
Kenny rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Kyle Vander meulen
Kyle Vander meulen rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jon Trainer
Jon Trainer rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Jon Scruggs
Jon Scruggs rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Elizabeth Horst
Elizabeth Horst rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
David Shelton
David Shelton rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Mills College Library
917.3 W6293 2014
Ron Bergquist
Ron Bergquist rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016