Start by marking “The Waterman: A Novel of the Chesapeake Bay” as Want to Read:
The Waterman: A Novel of the Chesapeake Bay

The Waterman: A Novel of the Chesapeake Bay

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Set along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, this first novel tells the story of Clay Wakeman, who spent his boyhood on the water and finds he can't leave it. When his father is lost in a storm off the Eastern Shore, Clay drops out of college to take possession of his father's boat and his work as a waterman, that is, as an independent commercial fisherman. Since the old bo ...more
Published January 9th 1999 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

To ask other readers questions about The Waterman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waterman

Kory
I've read this one several years ago and enjoyed it so much I figured I'd give it another try over the holiday break. One can relate and almost interact with the characters by sensing their emotions and feelings throughout the entire read. This book is wholesome in that it helps the reader gain an excellent understanding of a fisherman's life while adding a bit of suspense and intrigue at the same time.

Final update: I realize I had gotten this book confused with another one depicting a similar b
Cindy
Again, another novel I bought on sale because I kind of liked the title. If reading is to learn about a completely different world, this book fills that need. Never been to Chesapeake and the descriptions sent me to maps more than once; quite good descriptions and beautiful in places. Really enjoyed meeting these characters and following their journeys.
Michael
Junkin's strong sense of life on the water enhances this belated coming of age story that ends with a long suspenseful boat chase along the Virginia/Maryland coast.
Vern
Vern added it
May 20, 2015
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Lloyd Hinkle
Lloyd Hinkle marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Cyberhiker
Cyberhiker marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Erika Brown
Erika Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA Good Counsel Im Sog der Gezeiten.