Start by marking “The Loner” as Want to Read:
The Loner

The Loner (Jackson Hole #7)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  39 reviews

A man at war with himself
In all her years as deputy sheriff, Shelby Kincaid never met a man as stubborn as Dakota Carson. Practically eaten by a grizzly bear and still that man insists on returning, alone, to his isolated cabin in the Tetons. Shelby's not even sure why it ruffles her--but she suspects it has a lot to do with the instant, powerful connection she feels with
Published July 1st 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Loner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loner

Lady Heather
Well Geez... that was anti-climatic!

I was right into the story, and the author had built such a good story-line and characters and then... the author all of a sudden (the last 30% of the book) starts to tell me how the characters are feeling all the time, and repeats it often like every other paragraph.
It just turned me off the story completely.

Sometimes it's so much better for the characters actions and dialogue between characters to speak for the story, than the characters every 'thought' b
Susan
Fantastic book. It starts with a rush as Dakota is attacked by a grizzly and must save himself and get to a hospital. While there he meets Shelby, a deputy, who ends up rescuing him when he gets an infection. After he recovers both are asked to serve as trackers for two escaped convicts who have a connection to them both. Shelby's life is in danger and Dakota steps in to protect her. As the search goes on, they grow closer and find that they have the power to heal each other.

I loved both Shelby
Lisa
The publisher says it best when they write the following:
In all her years as deputy sheriff, Shelby Kincaid never met a man as stubborn as Dakota Carson. Practically eaten by a grizzly bear and still that man insists on returning, alone, to his isolated cabin in the Tetons. Shelby's not even sure why it ruffles her—but she suspects it has a lot to do with the instant, powerful connection she feels with Dakota. If only he'd let down his guard with her….

Ten years as a Navy SEAL took its toll on Da
Deanna also on Leafmarks because I miss Marco
A slow moving book especially for an adventure based romance. If the romance had been steamier, the lumbering story would have had at least had some upbeat parts. I did like that the female MC was strong and could handle herself in dangerous situations. She was also an excellent tracker. It was also good to see a book attempt to deal with PTSD, but it did not go deep enough. Easy cure is not realistic. I liked the wolf a lot. The last part of the book was a set up for the next one. Hit me over t ...more
Susan
Something about the wounded hero that drags you in from the very first scene and the fact that the female lead is sone-one who comes to the heroes rescue certainly didnt hurt either. Love when two strong independent characters meet and you can almost feel the heat . Well worth keeping and reading again.
Wayne Jordan
I've always loved Ms. McKenna's work. She is an awesome and talented author. The Loner is a perfect example of Ms. McKenna at her best. While there is lots of action, this story is a story about to scarred, tortured individuals, who finds love and in the process start to heal.
Charlene
3 - 3.5 Stars.

The focus in this Western Romantic Suspense novel is on the effects of PTSD on a former Navy SEAL and his inability to fit into his post-military situation. The heroine is a strong female figure, a deputy sheriff who is an expert tracker out in the Grand Teton/Jackson Hole/Yellowstone region of the country.

She had testified at the trial of two men convicted of rape and murder of a college student some years back, and the hero is this student's younger brother. A wolf cub rescued fr
Deborah
Sad to see it end!
Rhonda
4 STARS

It seems to be that most of all Lindsay McKenna stories have some military theme to them. This is no exception. Dakota is an ex-navy seal dealing with PTSD. So he lives high up in the Teton mountains in a cabin no running water. He hunts for most of his food. He found a wolf pup that a bear killed his whole family and Dakota rescued and raised him. Storm he calls him.

When Dakota was out checking on his traps he runs into a grizzly bear. He takes a beating for he is able to kill the bear.
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
This is a fast moving romance and suspense story that will keep you from getting a good night’s sleep! I know because that is exactly what happened to me. The Loner has two very strong characters who have both dealt with some powerful loss and yet they are able to help each other out in their times of need.

Dakota is a vet who served in the Navy Seals and is dealing with PTSD. He lives alone is the woods with a wild female wolf he calls Stormy. He meets Shelby when he brings himself to the local
Paranormal Kiss
3.5 Stars

The Loner by Lindsay McKenna is a Romantic Suspense novel that delves into the condition of PTSD, (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I’ve always admired the elite forces of the American Armed Forces. The Loner takes us into the mind and heart of a former Navy SEAL struggling with the effects of PTSD. It’s fiction of course but I can’t help feel there was a lot truth to the trauma that the character of Dakota went through.

I enjoyed The Loner and my only complaint is that it dragged a bit
Moria
Should have let the embarrassingly bad title be a warning. No spoiler because it's the opening of the book & alluded to on the back cover - the hero is attacked by a bear & goes to the ER where he meets the heroine. Virtually everything is woefully inaccurate for the setting, which immediately pulled me out of the story. This includes when a nurse calls the heroine over to give her (and us) the hero's life story including confidential medical history.

Then, dun dun, the hero's "in troubl
Moira
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads and have read other books by Lindsay McKenna although this was tough to get through. I almost put it down but did manage to finish reading it. The character development of both Dakota and Shelby was a bit dramatic. You understood from the beginning that PTSD can affect both men and women in not only the armed forces but in all jobs relating to service (fireman, policeman, etc). Their reactions to extreme situations and dedication to prot ...more
L M
If I could I would rate THE LONER a whopping ** 10 **

This book is very spell binding and captures your interest from the very beginning. It subtly teaches you to appreciate the depth of trauma in our military, particularly SEALs, who endure, while bravely putting it ALL on the line to defend our rights and freedom. PTSD not only affects service men and women, but everyone in uniform (or plain clothes) who step up to protect us. The Loner, Dakota Carson, is an ex-SEAL with a wounded soul. With pa
Angela
Jul 24, 2013 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: netgalley
I liked this book but didn't love it. I was excited to start reading it because I have been on the look out for a good romance featuring a military man or woman. Well, I found this one about an ex-Navy SEAL with PTSD and thought it sounded pretty good. My problem was it took me awhile to read it (I kept picking it up then setting it aside to read something else) because I got tired of hearing about him being a SEAL. I mean I read the blurb, so I know he's ex-military I don't it told to me repeat ...more
Tatiana
Just terrible. Terrible. There's no suspense, there's no building of mystery, there's endless repetition of the same facts and such blatant hints at ~dark~ past occurrences that there's no tension whatsoever. The characters open up to one another too quickly, and the first kiss feels gross, sandwiched as it is between stories of two people's violent, terrible deaths.

Linda
A very good book that is a tribute to our men and women fighting in combat, especially the SEALs and Special Forces.

Deputy Shelby Kincaid first sees Dakota Carson during the trial for the murderers of his sister. Years later, as she sees him stumbling to the hospital’s ER after a bear attack, she goes to help him and realizes she has seen him before. Then, she gets word that the two murderers have escaped prison and are on the loose. It was due to Shelby's tracking them that got them caught befo
Sr Landai
This book was FANTASTIC. I learned so much. My appreciation for our military and especially the very unigue SEALs increased 10 fold!

The very brave SEAL Dakota Carson returns from war wounded in body, mind and soul. He hesitates to accept help from anyone or even be around anyone but Sheriff's deputy, Shelby Kincaid does NOT give up on him.

The connection they make and TRUST that slowly grows ends up helping both in times of grave danger. The amazing gray-wolf Storm even becomes a hero.

The chara
Janet
This premise could so very well have gone wrong - but I am glad to say Ms. McKenna hit the mark with this one. Troubled, wounded both in body and spirit, man meets stubborn take no prisoners woman. Woman needs help, man steps up to the plate. The pacing in this book was excellent, just enough romance, plenty of suspense, characters you can connect to emotionally, an adventure setting, the story seemed to flow seamlessly. PTSD is difficult to read about and tricky to write without over-playing, b ...more
Stacie
A story of a Navy SEAL named Dakota who is suffering post traumatic stress syndrome and retreats to a mountain cabin to be alone. He gets attacks by a grizzly bear and has to go into town for help. He meets deputy sheriff Shelby Kincaid. She is pretty and petite so Dakota judges that she is fragile and a helpless type. He soon learns that she is very capable to taking care of herself. Then a criminal who is released from prison comes after Shelby for revenge for putting him away. It just so happ ...more
GONZA
More than a story, this one seemed to me like a long advertisement for Veterans, Seal, PTSD and all the soldiers that fight for the U.S. The 2 characters were just the actors.

Piú che una storia, questo mi é sembrato un lunghissimo spot per perorare la causa dei veterani, dei Seal, del Disturbo Post Traumatico da stress e per onorare tutti i soldati che combattono o hanno combattutto per gli Stati Uniti. I due personaggi sembravano solo gli attori.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARLEQUIN FOR THE PREVIEW
Carol
More like 3.5 stars. I liked it but I didn't love it. I think our military men and women are heroes and deserve even more than this country does for them but I didn't appreciate constantly getting hit over the head with the information. It seemed like every character in the book, major and minor, waxed endlessly and poetically about our military vets. It made for some pretty clunky dialogue in spots.

I'm glad I read it but it won't go on my keeper shelf.
Betty
Well, there goes a week's worth of reading I'll never get back. What a disappointing book. Too, too much throbbing and burning and other romance novel clichés. Aren't we past that sort of thing by now? Not to mention the constant repetition of things we already know and the rapid-fire POV shifts that left me dizzy. I finished the book because that's what I do, however long the journey might take, but I did not enjoy myself on this particular ride.
Lhenry
Liked it, didn't love it. Liked the setting of around Jackson Hole, liked the action, including the bear attack at the beginning, very exciting. But I though that even with all the action, the author did too much telling, especially about the nature a Navy SEAL, how stalwart, etc. they are. She didn't need to keep saying it because it was obvious through the brave, sacrificing actions of the characters. It would have made for a tighter story.
Harlequin Books
"McKenna understands the mind of a warrior, and readers will love this story of a scarred soldier and his own personal Valkyrie finding salvation in each other's arms. With warriors returning from the war suffering from PTSD every day, McKenna's story is relevant, moving and eye-opening." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 1/2 stars

Category: Suspense
Book 4 from Jackson Hole, Wyoming series
Sandhya
The summary of Loner had attracted me a long back and from then, the book was in my kindle. And, as i expected it was just an ok read for me! Even though it was a suspense read, there was not much of a suspense...we were knowing everything from first! Romance was nice....I like Shelby's character...a strong female character, you wont find in much books!
Overall, not a bad read!
Sherry
This book was filled with adventure, suspense, & romance. The good guys were very likable, the bad guys each to dislike. The story kept you interested right to the end. It also gave you some very important facts. No spoiler alerts here. I think anyone who enjoys romantic suspense will enjoy this read.
Jeff
I read this book in two days!! I loved it! Dakota was a strong character and great inspiration to vets who have PTSS. This had an impact on me and opened my eyes to how our vets feels when they are lucky enough to make back home. Great story.
Deb
Meh. It was a decent plotline, but I so don't care for getting "ly"ed to death. After coming off a JD Robb marathon of rereading, McKenna's writing seemed choppy -- which isn't fair [it's like comparing apples to oranges] but there you have it.
Amber
I loved the intense storyline, great mystery, and the romance was really good! However, it sometimes became redundant (especially talking about SEAL stuff), and there's not much more that annoys me when I am trying to enjoy a book!
  • Forsaken (Beartooth, Montana, #3)
  • Tempted into Danger (ICE: Black Ops Defenders #1)
  • Falcon's Run (Copper Canyon, #4)
  • One Night Heir (By His Royal Decree, #1)
  • Special Ops Exclusive (The Hunted, #3)
  • All Riled Up
  • A Real Cowboy (Rich Rugged Ranchers #2)
  • The Magic of "I Do" (Faerie, #2)
  • My Naughty Little Secret
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Stern
  • Aftershock (Aftershock, #1)
  • The Student (His Dark Lessons, #1)
  • An Outlaw in Wonderland (Once Upon a Time in the West, #2)
  • Just for Today...
The Last Cowboy  (Jackson Hole, #4) Unforgiven (Warriors for the Light #1) The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5) Down Range (Shadow Warriors, #2) Shadows from the Past (Jackson Hole #1)