Start by marking “Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness” as Want to Read:

Thousands have found renewed health and increased sensory awareness through the Feldenkrais method as explained in Awareness Through Movement. Here is a way for people of every age to integrate physical and mental development into a new, invigorating wholeness. Feldenkrais provides a modern-day, practical program for the perennial ideal of a healthy mind in a healthy body. ...more
Published July 28th 2009 by HarperOne (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Awareness Through Movement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awareness Through Movement

Oct 17, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
It took a long while for this book to warm up - the first 70 pages were pretty esoteric and random. However, once Feldenkrais began to discuss awareness, and the methods he is now known for, this book turned fascinating.

Awareness is the highest stage of development, and when it is complete, it maintains a harmonious rule over the body's activities.

Awareness and authentic attention: at the root of it is pure mindfulness on the physical form. The exercises and scripts here were fascinating to re
Jul 22, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing
Feldenkrais was one of those extraordinary individuals who can do anything. Engineer, physicist, sonar expert, soccer player -- he injured himself first playing the latter and then on a submarine in WWII. So he developed a unique set of exercises designed to help people with injuries or handicaps. The result is a physical regimen that will increase your self-awareness and poise, not to mention your fitness and overall health. Highly recommended.
Jul 20, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Moshe teaches you how to be aware!
Was not an easy read until after taking the Feldenkrais training.
I would not have understood most of the book if not for the training!
Oct 24, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
I'm rating the practice as much as the book. I have no idea what my experience of this would be if I had no experience of the practice - but I do, and so it's a very useful support of my immersion in Feldenkrais' work. At first it seemed impossible to do the lessons from the book (nothing can compare to having a live person giving a lesson) - but eventually I found a way and there are, unsurprisingly, many insights to be gained.
Feb 04, 2013 André rated it it was amazing
Feldenkrais, being formerly plagued by an immobilzed knee, began to research the mechanisms of it as a young adult. He was able to cure his immobility and to walk again by the time. Not only did he continue to walk again, but he continued his studies about the human body.

over the years, Feldenkrais developed with theoretical as well as practical research a well-formed concept about the correct movement and use of the body. he also drew the conclusion, that our psychological self-images is stron
Jun 25, 2015 Katsu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
It is great book! A bit rough at the beginning, but get more smooth with time.
Lot of exercises are same as in yoga, but here focus is completely different. Main topic is our conscious of body, muscles and changing bad physical habits, where yoga is more about calming down, reduce stress and tension in body. At the end both do the same, but I found that not everybody is benefiting from yoga. That's probably because of just following instructions and not gaining conscious of body during practice.
we spend so much time in our brains; we think that we know ourselves because we are engaged in mental activity; but our bodies are misguided machines that we never learn to operate; this guy was a physicist. it's all just physics.
May 25, 2011 Pegggggy is currently reading it
from the 70's but so far has a lot of good to say. recommended and sent to me by a very aware friend. nice to find a "self help" book that isn't written at a 4th grade reading level.
Aug 06, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
A wonderful find. It is possible to work through the exercises by yourself and get amazing results. Hoping to find a class or instructor nearby.
Jan 03, 2011 Amelia rated it really liked it
Kooky, but effective. You need a buddy to read the narrative so you can do the exercises. I am still looking for a buddy!
Mar 13, 2011 Bud rated it liked it
This was the initial book that started the Feldenkreis movement - and has provided helpful techniques for my back.
Jul 30, 2007 Blake marked it as to-read
Once upon a time I got halfway through this book... then things got convoluted and elliptical.
Olivier Goetgeluck
Feb 12, 2015 Olivier Goetgeluck rated it really liked it
In families where children are judged primarily by their achievements, all spontaneity will disappear at an early age.

Individuals tend to identify their self-images with their value to society. [...] Ub this way society comes to be made of persons increasingly alike in their ways, behaviors, and aims. [...] there are few individuals who view themselves without reference to the value attributed to them by society. [...] so the individual tries to smooth out his biological peculiarities by alienat
Jan 02, 2015 Vs rated it really liked it
I need to to revisit this. I took a few classes at the local YMCA a few years ago. It was very slow paced (in a good way).
Alethea Hammer
Jan 09, 2015 Alethea Hammer rated it really liked it

It is a short book. Not too wordy. Very useful, but only if you actually do the exercises.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 John Hawkins rated it really liked it
Lots of good stuff in this book. I am amazed at how simple movement can open the body.
Sep 10, 2015 chelsea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: very-helpful
Fascinating way of looking at human psychology and mechanisms of change that takes the body into account instead of focusing exclusively on thoughts, emotion or brain chemistry. Instead of ignoring the body as a simple machine that does what it's told in a one-way communication pattern only, Feldenkrais suggests that the body has a very strong ability to impact the mind. Articulates everything I've observed in 20+ years as a nonprofessional dancer about the way the study of different ways of mov ...more
Jul 21, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Still need to go through all the exercises and finish off end of book
Apr 12, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
I took this from the shelf rather randomly, but, am simply fascinated....
Jan 21, 2015 Alea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feldenkrais
Have you ever asked yourself what self image really is, or how your self image is constructed? How about what Health is? We know what it means to be healthy, but how do you define Health? Now read Moshe's thoughts on self-image and health. I guarantee he'll make you think...

Ahmed Ismail
Feb 22, 2016 Ahmed Ismail rated it it was amazing
a great read from a legend in awareness and mobility. a must read.
Deana Morris
Apr 20, 2014 Deana Morris rated it really liked it
Strange and fascinating. To do the exercises I suggest recording yourself reading through them and then do them to the sound of your own instruction.
Mar 24, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing
This work is part physics, part judo, and is heaped with inspiration; so worth understanding. And personally, I have witnessed the "elusive obvious" while working with a Feldenkrais practitioner. Very very cool.
Alexandra Lehmann
Sep 30, 2016 Alexandra Lehmann rated it it was ok
Feldenkrais continues to improve my life and I re-visited the practice after breaking my foot this summer. This book, however, is too convoluted to make much sense and it is too hard to read.
This is defintely harder to read than Feldenkrais lessons are to do. But still, worthwhile to read some of the theory.
Aug 20, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: bezit
Zeer interessant boek, maar het lijkt me toch niet zo eenvoudig die oefeningen alleen te doen.
Jan 06, 2008 Vivi rated it really liked it
to control and command to my muscles ..
Sep 08, 2012 Aross rated it really liked it
The title pretty much says it all.
Andreas Golemis
Andreas Golemis is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2016
Laura Kavanagh
Laura Kavanagh marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health
  • Bioenergetics
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Bodymind
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • ChiWalking: Fitness Walking for Lifelong Health and Energy
  • The Thinking Body
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
  • Wisdom of the Body Moving: An Introduction to Body-Mind Centering
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Take a Nap! Change Your Life.
  • KI in Daily Life