Start by marking “The Smart Girl's Guide to Going Vegetarian: How to Look Great, Feel Fabulous, and Be a Better You” as Want to Read:

What would you love. Love what you eat.

No labels. No fuss. It's not about what you call yourself--it's about how you feel. Whether you're going vegan, vegetarian, fish-only, chicken-only, or all veggies except grandma's famous pigs-in-a-blanket, this book is your new best friend.

Eating less meat can boost your energy, help you lose weight, and it's better for the environme
Published January 7th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published December 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Smart Girl's Guide to Going Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smart Girl's Guide to Going Vegetarian

Chrissy
Jan 12, 2014 Chrissy rated it really liked it
I absolutely love reading about vegetarianism and veganism, especially after dabbling in the lifestyles myself lately, so I couldn't miss the opportunity to review THE SMART GIRL'S GUIDE TO GOING VEGETARIAN: HOW TO LOOK GREAT, FEEL FABULOUS, AND BE A BETTER YOU. I mean, the cover is vibrant and colorful, which definitely got me intrigued, and the unique perspective that speaks specifically to a younger female audience is one that is definitely needed in the library of natural health. The best ...more
Jami
Jan 12, 2014 Jami rated it it was amazing
(ARC Review) Where was this book when I was a teen? I was fortunate to receive a review galley of this title was very impressed. Warren starts by tackling many of the questions that plague would-be or new vegetarians. Her thoughtful breakdowns of the vegetarian spectrum, nutritional needs, and responses for nagging parents ("You're not getting enough protein!)are extremely helpful for those contemplating the switch. Unlike some similar titles, this book doesn't make you feel guilty to eating the ...more
Mallory
Jul 11, 2015 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I can't recommend this highly enough. It's geared towards teenage girls, but I still found it incredibly helpful (I'm 29). It helped answer a lot of questions I had about exploring vegetarianism, and it gives great meal examples to help ensure you're getting the proper nutrients you need, which I know is going to be a huge help for me.
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Jun 22, 2015 Marcela (BookaholicCat) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A good book for young people who are considering becoming vegetarian.
alana
Jun 18, 2014 alana rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had The Smart Girl's Guide to Going Vegetarian when I was in high school! (Just a side note on the subtitle of the book, there's nothing in it that addresses looking great. It's all about food and the reasons we should select certain foods when constructing meals.) While I borrowed this from the teen annex in my local library, I've since ordered a copy for myself since I know I will want to share it with others.

Rather than preaching a strict vegetarian dogma, Rachel Meltzer Warren pr
Erika
Feb 02, 2015 Erika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Who says nonfiction has to be boring? I found myself wanting to read this quick guide to vegetarianism more than the drama novel I started at the same time. Rachel Meltzer Warren communicates herself with the same affection and frankness of your supportive and level-headed best friend. Not only does she insert humor when you least expect it, but she also talks about becoming a vegetarian (or vegan, or red head, or lacto-ovo, etc.)in a non-threatening way. If you are thinking about reading this ...more
Rhiannon Johnson
Jan 19, 2014 Rhiannon Johnson rated it it was amazing
While this book is geared toward young women, I found it very insightful and will suggest it to other demographics. I've tried to "go vegetarian" several times in my life but felt like I "failed" if I eventually ate meat. This book describes vegetarianism as a spectrum and helps you find where you currently are in your eating habits and gives advice for getting to where you want to be. I've read and seen documentaries where you are shocked, scared, or grossed out to the point that I have changed ...more
Elysa
Jan 12, 2014 Elysa rated it really liked it
(I received an advanced copy of this book). The intended audience is teen and college age girls looking for information on being a vegetarian. I really enjoyed the author's writing style. The book overall has a lot of great deal of information presented in a casual, conversational manner. I'd certainly recommend this book to young girls who are considering becoming a vegetarian or vegan as well as their parents. I learned quite a few things myself about meat being a "secret ingredient" in very ...more
Terri
What a great book! I didn't realize at first that this is a YA book: I got so many good tips! This would be a great book for the young adult in your life who's looking to make a compassionate and healthful change in their life...this book will answer SO many questions! And loads of delicious-looking recipes, too :)
Carter
Jul 16, 2015 Carter rated it really liked it
As an aspiring vegetarian (lacto-ovo) teenager, I found this book considerably helpful. Although my parents still like me to have about three meals a week that include meat, Smart Girls Guide informed me that I was not a bad veg for doing this, and that I am still making more ethical decisions, which in the end is what really matters.
Rachel
Jun 14, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great book for people thinking of making the switch to vegetarianism. The book goes over the varying degrees of being a veghead, from being a vegan to a flexatarian. It's a great resource for teen girls with many recipes include inside.
Maddy Finch
Mar 30, 2016 Maddy Finch rated it liked it
A really great resource and this book helped a ton in my research towards the vegan (or veg head) lifestyle!
The Wishing Well
Jan 12, 2014 The Wishing Well rated it it was amazing
The Smart Girl’s Guide to Going Vegetarian by Rachel Meltzer Warren is a comprehensive guide for the vegetarian-curious teen. As the title suggests, the book is aimed at teenaged girls but the advice is general and could apply to boys as well.

The Smart Girl's Guide to Going Vegetarian is a supportive, agenda-free guide to giving meat (and perhaps more) the boot. Rather than preach about one specific brand of vegetarianism, this book welcomes a young meat-averse reader to the fold, whether she id
Janis
Aug 20, 2013 Janis rated it really liked it
This is a great little book for teens and college students on becoming vegetarian--and uses that term to encompass the varieties followed. Best of all, she accepts all types, AND gives suggestions, recipes etc. with adaptations for the different types.

Sometimes the author is a bit cloyingly cute (if I read "VegHead" ONE MORE TIME...), but overall she knows her audience, is understanding and at their level, and also manages to prepare teens for the coming future (college, travel, etc.).

Excellent
Renja
Jan 03, 2016 Renja rated it it was amazing
Wish I had this book when I first became a vegetarian.
Great resource for anyone considering becoming a "veg-head", AND anyone already a vegetarian/vegan.....
This is a really cool book.
The author explains how to get the nutrients (protein, iron,etc) found commonly in Animal products, in VEGGIE foods, definitely my favorite thing about this book; when I became a Vegetarian that was my primary concern.

I love the recipes included at the end of the book, can't wait to try some of them.
Easy book t
Jenilee Rollefstad
Mar 14, 2016 Jenilee Rollefstad rated it it was amazing
Great resource for anyone thinking about making a lifestyle change. Super helpful because it is so practical! Answered questions I didn't know I had. And I love that she addresses stigma attached to labels and how to address it in various situations. Not exhaustive on recipes but the recipes that are included feel like personal recommendations and I loved that detailed nutritional information follows each. She does a good job of covering the spectrum, from conscious carnivore to vegan.
Heather Jones
Apr 13, 2016 Heather Jones rated it really liked it
I'm not the target audience here - I barely even remember being a teenager. But I like the author's lively style, and her relaxed attitude about the various ways of eating, so a person like me (not a vegetarian, just interested in eating less meat) can enjoy and learn without feeling judged.
Mary Leversen
May 16, 2014 Mary Leversen rated it liked it
Extremely informative. It not only busts myths and gives info, it has a quiz to help you determine what kind of "Veghead" you should be and recipes in the back. brb im a vegetarian now
Emily
Mar 28, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Very informative, motivated me to go veggitarian.
AnnieM
Apr 05, 2014 AnnieM rated it liked it
It is very good. It gives excellent information on why different vitamins and minerals are important and where to get each one when you cut meat out of your diet.

It also isn't just vegetarianism or veganism. It also includes definitions doe people giving up jus red meat or only eating fish.

The recipes are good and not too hard considering it is geared toward teens who might end up cooking for themselves.

My only gripe is that it didn't really cover how these choices might not work for those wi
Crash Queen (Whimsy and Stardust)
Super quick to read and great to look through if you're curious about becoming vegetarian, vegan, etc. There are some great recipes and a shopping list to help you decide what to make and non-meat options to make sure you're eating a nutrient rich diet.
Jenni Frencham
Dec 05, 2013 Jenni Frencham rated it really liked it
This is a great book for teens and tweens who are interested in the various shades of vegetarianism and perhaps want to try it for themselves. The book has lots of good advice and information about ways to cut out some of the animal products in a person's diet and includes both menus and recipes.
Molly Walker
Molly Walker rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Pennyloper
Pennyloper rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Jamie Gogocha
Jamie Gogocha rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Momoko
Momoko rated it liked it
May 06, 2014
Hally
Hally rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Kristal
Kristal rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015