Start by marking “The Private Life of the Brain” as Want to Read:
The Private Life of the Brain

The Private Life of the Brain

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What is happening in the brain when we drink too much alcohol, get high on ecstasy or experience road rage? Emotion, says internationally acclaimed neuroscientist Susan Greenfield, is the building block of consciousness. As our minds develop we create a personalized inner world based on our experiences. But during periods of intense emotion, such as anger, fear or euphoria ...more
Paperback
Published February 28th 2002 by Penguin (first published May 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Private Life of the Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Life of the Brain

Rory
May 11, 2014 Rory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This writer believes themselves to be more interesting than they actually are. Every other sentence is a jam packed michael bay movie. Having trouble moving forward as the book never seems to start but is endlessly spinning its wheels to impresses you.

Randomly chosen passage:

"Drugs. Whisper the word and immediately you are in smoky opium dens, or face-to-face with the brutalized alcoholic, or peering over the shoulder of the adolescent glue sniffer, or cross-legged on the student floor, beatifi
Frank Jude
Oct 17, 2009 Frank Jude rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the science of consciousness.
Nueroscientist Greenfield offers up a hypothesis waiting for more advanced technology to test it. The good news is that it IS falsifiable, so it's scientifically coherent. Central to her thinking is that the brain creates consciousness and the unique sense of a self from the mechanics of neuronal functioning that correlate with emotions. Thus, Greenfield says, emotions are the most basic form of consciousness and determine, ultimately, the depth and or breath (or lack of such) of consciousness. ...more
Darron
Dec 01, 2015 Darron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I agree that it's a tough read at times, but overall found it to be a very interesting and thought provoking book. Has certainly equipped me with a better understanding of the workings of the brain and it's myriad of chemical, electrical and cellular processes/interactions. Susan's model of consciousness and emotions is heavily based on research and comes across as being at the forefront of books covering neuroscience. Whether this is your field of interest or not it's certainly worth reading
Daniel Wood
Sep 09, 2010 Daniel Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: neurology
"What is happening in the brain when we drink too much alcohol, get high on Ecstasy or experience road rage?"

These and other questions neuroscientist Susan Greenfield attempts to answer whilst proposing a hypothesis on how emotion, conciousness and mind are formed within the brain.

A fairly heavy read that had me rereading several parts to properly understand the reasoning, this is nonetheless a very enjoyable book. The chapters on The Child and The Junkie I found particularly interesting.

A criti
Lise
Jun 04, 2010 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, brain-psych
I enjoyed the book a lot, but found it a bit difficult to slog through, probably because I don't have any background in neurology at all. The endnotes are very clear and helpful, though, and she lays out her model very clearly.

I'm still a bit confused on the working definition of consciousness, though. If it's purely 'self awareness' then why are dreams considered non conscious? I was also bothered that the quantum association was added, since it seems to be predicated on a pretty wacky strong-
Kdrathbone
Jun 25, 2015 Kdrathbone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baroness Susan Greenfield may be one of my favorite new psychology icons.
Sonal
Nov 28, 2014 Sonal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed every bit, very enlightening, pleased to know why somethings happen
MiChAeLPaUl
Jun 13, 2014 MiChAeLPaUl marked it as fini  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, fiction
The inner workings of the brain ignite as the gates of consciousness open up for the mind.
Luca Campobasso
Feb 06, 2016 Luca Campobasso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it was a rather difficult read, because of the author's digression habits, the content was pretty enjoyable and I got many more insights in emotions' inner working. Who is searching for a read dense of information but not too heavy, it is suggested. Also for whom doesn't know anything about this field, because of the lack of too-technical language.
Pirronne
Jul 10, 2007 Pirronne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as readable as "a user's guide to the brain," but very interesting. it takes a while to get used to her sophisticated lines of logic, but it's totally worth looking at. just read the user's guide first, i'd say.
Dec 12, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for one of my classes in college. I really enjoyed reading it. I am glad that there are more than one kind of intelligence, and I don't have to be book smart to be considered intelligent.
Barbara
Dec 07, 2014 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been a few years since I read this book. I can't remember the content just my irritation that a scientist should not have collected her ideas better and written less sloppily.
Dan Martin
Jan 31, 2016 Dan Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Far too technical for a so-called popular science book. A real struggle. Yawn.
Tim Dempsey
Not the most accessible read but interesting. Certainly not a page turner!
Gael
Nov 08, 2013 Gael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to grasp. Very interesting.
Alterstuart
Feb 07, 2013 Alterstuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and concise.
Stray
Stray is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Jeevan Duggal
Jeevan Duggal marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Gabriel JC
Gabriel JC rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Felurina
Felurina is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2016
Hal 9000
Hal 9000 is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Xanthippi
Xanthippi marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Ifrah Qureshi
Ifrah Qureshi marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kanay Khakhria
Kanay Khakhria rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Ana
Ana rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
book lover Lark
book lover Lark marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Deena
Deena marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Penny Pritchard
Penny Pritchard marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • Sweet Dreams: Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness
  • Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality, Identity, and the Self
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • Freedom and Neurobiology: Reflections on Free Will, Language, and Political Power
  • Astonishing Hypothesis: The Scientific Search for the Soul
  • Being No One: The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity
  • The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
  • Looking for Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain
  • Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension
  • The Brain and the Inner World: An Introduction to the Neuroscience of Subjective Experience
  • Conversations on Consciousness: What the Best Minds Think about the Brain, Free Will, and What It Means to Be Human
  • Neurophilosophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain
  • The Neural Correlates of Religious and Nonreligious Belief
  • The Ethical Brain: The Science of Our Moral Dilemmas
  • The Really Hard Problem: Meaning in a Material World
  • The Mysterious Flame: Conscious Minds In A Material World
  • Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind
Greenfield is Professor of Synaptic Pharmacology at Lincoln College, Oxford. On 1 February 2006, she was installed as Chancellor of Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. Until 8 January 2010, she was director of the Royal Institution of Great Britain
More about Susan Greenfield...