Start by marking “Ivy Cole and the Moon” as Want to Read:
Ivy Cole and the Moon

Ivy Cole and the Moon

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Ivy Cole has returned home to her North Carolina community with a special gift that erupts in howling on full-moon nights, and makes her judge, jury, and executioner. As Ivy says, "sometimes folks deserve a good killing." But this night, something wants her dead as well.
Published October 3rd 2006 by Berkley (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ivy Cole and the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy Cole and the Moon

Master of the Hunt by Nickel CrowHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Mercedes Favorite Books
11th out of 51 books — 4 voters
Bitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterNightshade by Andrea Cremer
best werewolf books
254th out of 263 books — 215 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Dec 22, 2008 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The idea is raised in Gina Farago's Ivy Cole and the Moon tha a girl born south of the Mason-Dixon line is always a part of the South. My parts of Kentucky are more Midwest than Southern--yet they're close enough that I suspect something of that very idea may draw me to novels set there. Especially fantasy novels, or in this particular case, horror.

Ivy Cole and the Moon is not a particularly fast-paced work. But then, it doesn't need to be; instead, like a summer night in the South, it is heavy
Linda Thompson
Aug 25, 2015 Linda Thompson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I came to care about Ivy and Melvin and Gloria. I hope this one has a sequel.
Traci
Jan 30, 2016 Traci rated it liked it
This book had been sitting around our branch for a long, long time. One day it was returned, and I realized that it was pretty much in two pieces (not uncommon with mass market paperbacks - they don't last long), so I withdrew it from circulation and prepared to give it a proper burial. And stopped. And looked at it again. And realized that I'd always sort of wanted to read it, so why not take it home and put it in my To-Be-Read pile? A much more fitting end than the trash can, right?

As usual, i
Karen
Oct 13, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye in a bookstore a while back. I'm glad that it did because it was an extremely well-written book. The plot was tight - there was a lot of mystery, but the information was given just at the right time; the characters are great. The only thing I didn't really like was the way that it ended, but perhaps the author was leaving it open for a sequel.
Jennifer Osterman
Aug 20, 2008 Jennifer Osterman rated it really liked it
So much better than the Twilight series, I think.
Moondance
When darkness falls on a mountain, it does not descend slowly, like the sinking of a great black ship over the peaks.

Ivy Cole returns to her home state of North Carolina after being away for a decade. Strange things are happening in the small town of Doe Springs. A "devil" appears each full moon and people disappear or die. Ivy has always tried to be careful about the prey she chooses during the full moon. They are bad hurtful people that she hopes no one will miss. Killing the local postal carr
Anita
Dec 17, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it
This is Southern gothic style contemporary fantasy set in the hills of North Carolina featuring werewolves - the not-so-friendly kind. The point of view shifts among different characters, so you know what's coming, and yet there's still a lot of suspense. My only complaint was the Epilogue. I wonder if it was an afterthought to set the stage for a sequel, because it didn't make complete sense given what was written in the rest of the book. The author should have gone back and adjusted a couple s ...more
Anna
Jun 21, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok
I have such incredibly mixed feelings about this book that it's just not funny anymore.

After much searching (and eventually finding the object of my former desires on the shelves of a second-hand bookstore), I did eventually track down this strangely hard-to-find book. Unfortunately, though, it's one of those two steps forward, one step back things. As much as the lack of subtle-as-a-brick-to-the-face sexual metaphors (even though modern writers get them rather...wrong. Werewolves were metaphors
Georgia
Mar 06, 2013 Georgia rated it liked it
Years ago, I met Gina Farago at a Dragon*Con convention where she had a table with her book Ivy Cole and the Moon and some information about wolves. Being a lover of wolves myself, I was curious and we spoke a bit about her book. I was intrigued and decided to buy it from her. Fast forward past three moves to new homes to now and I found the book again. I finally sat down to read it.

If you are a lover of wolves like I am and aware of the plight of them, you will definitely be glad to read this b
Heather
Jul 15, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Ok..hmm not how I expected it to end. This is not a type of book I normally read, it is supposed to be horror but I thought it more along the lines of suspense with a hint of romance. I liked how we got to read from so many different perpectives and view points. Most of the times that annoys the heck out of me put it actually worked well in this book.

I never thought I would like reading in the view point of a dog or wolf but I did. The information about wolves and their history will seem overwhe
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Rating: 4.0
Genre: Dark Fantasy, with slight Romance involved.

Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago is a much different story than I was expecting. The story starts out at a slow pace, but that is not always a bad thing. If you allow yourself time to actually take in the world building, and the characters that are introduced to you, you will find that this is a pretty decent story that straddles the line of between dark fantasy and PNR. THe last half of this story is filled with tension and suspen
Leslie
Feb 01, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago is not the type of book I would normally pick up. On the surface it seems to be of the horror genre, not one of my personal favorites. But this 'werewolf' book is far more than it seems on the surface. I was immediately struck by the beauty of the structure as the writer weaved her tale with flashbacks and revelations about the characters. The setting, familiar to me as my own backyard, only added to my interest in the story and the names of the characters we ...more
J.s. Wayne
Mar 26, 2011 J.s. Wayne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes werewolves and things that growl in the night
Recommended to J.s. by: I stumbled across it.
This was an excellent book. Gina takes the werewolf mythos out of the forests of Europe and drops it squarely in the middle of a small Southern town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The results are surprising, as her werewolves are in their own just as much victims of their own gifts as the animals and people who cross their paths. There were a few moments where the plot dragged a little, which was the only thing keeping it from a five-star review. However, this book is well worth the read i ...more
Ashke
Feb 01, 2011 Ashke rated it liked it
This book isn't bad, per se. I quite enjoyed the plot and thought it was paced nicely from start to finish. The characters and events were very memorable, and I felt the werewolf lore/premise was unique compared to most of the stuff out there. However, the main character came off as extremely Mary Sueish, and this was a hindrance to some of the more horrific and suspenseful plot elements. Also, I felt the author got a bit convoluted with her writing in the final confrontation scenes, so that the ...more
Emily
Nov 25, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
I bought Ivy Cole and the Moon at a dollar store, and as much as I hate to admit it, I started reading the book with lower expectations. But it turned out to be really good! It’s the perfect blend of suspense and romance. The author has an extraordinary ability to describe the scene and the setting. The description is so vivid that I almost felt as if I were in the Blue Ridge Mountains alongside the characters in the book! There were a few minor questions in the story that were left unanswered ...more
Kathleen
Feb 09, 2014 Kathleen rated it liked it
I have a review posted on my blog: http://wolfsecho.blogspot.com/2014/02...
Annabelle Morehouse
Jan 25, 2015 Annabelle Morehouse rated it liked it
Good writing, I just like first person more.
May 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, paranormal
Ivy Cole and the Moon was loaned to me by my best friend so I knew I was going to love it already, since we have the same taste in books! And I wasn't disappointed! One of the best werewolf tales I've read/seen, Ivy's world is one of true terror. Gina Farago isn't afraid to get her hands messy with gore and surprise endings. You'll love this dangerously delicious novel if you're ready to meet the wolf-woman!
Shari Vassello
Dec 03, 2011 Shari Vassello rated it really liked it
Ivy Cole is an unassuming werewolf with the ability to choose her victims. She oftens chooses based on her own unique brand of justice - such as a wife beater or animal abuser. This book is the story of her life - how she became a werewolf and how she lives with it. The author, Gina Farago, is a local NC author and the background of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the story provides another pull to the book.
Amber
Oct 04, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
A great read! Found this little treasure in a bookstore and fell in love with it! This is my second time to read it. The characters are great and the storyline is perfect! I have always loved wolves and werewolf tales, so this was really fun to read. I actually learned a lot of folklore and wolf behavior from this book that really piqued my interest for history.
I'm so excited to read the next book, Luna! :D
Min
Nov 05, 2009 Min rated it did not like it
Shelves: library
I really can't believe I read this book. None of the characters intrigued me. The imagery and descriptions were a bit heavy-handed through most of the book. At times, it felt pieced together without much thought as to flow. The ending was not a surprise in the least.
I still don't know why I finished it, especially when I have many other books waiting to be read - books which I may actually enjoy.
Lee Ann
May 26, 2011 Lee Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anybody reading this book and thinking they are getting a paranormal romance with a happy ending should wise up. It's a fantastic werewolf horror story with suspense, violence, and, yes, a sad romance featuring a lead female character you won't soon forget. Couldn't wait to see if there would be a sequel and years later came Luna.
Victoria
What a terrific werewolf story! I absolutely loved it! It was quite different from what I expected - and in a very good way. The book was impeccably researched, with a solid plot and fantastic characters. I really loved it! It was an absolute pleasure to read and I am SO happy to have the sequel already. I just can't wait to read it!
Call Me Cranky
Dec 06, 2012 Call Me Cranky rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
It took me a good 100 pages to get into this book, but when it got going, IT GOT GOIN'! This is definitely not a happily every after story, which I almost wish it was, but I don't think it would have been as good if it had been.
N8's True
Nov 20, 2008 N8's True rated it liked it
Its a good book that is not just a romance story but goes deep into the mystical world of werewolves. It was alittle predictable and could have had a better plot line but overall it wasnt a bad book.
Tasula
Nov 04, 2011 Tasula rated it liked it
Different sort of werewolf story set in the American South. Lots of comments about real wolves and what they have endured over the centuries at the hands of mankind. Mystery, plenty of bloodshed.
Monica
Sep 18, 2008 Monica is currently reading it
she is some kind of creature but a human and she murders men who deserve it like men that abuse their wifes
TAMMY mchale
Apr 26, 2007 TAMMY mchale rated it really liked it
Little slow in the beginning but picked up in the middle. Seemed like there should have been a book before this one.
Marley
May 04, 2013 Marley rated it did not like it
Long book, not really worth it to be honest. Wouldn't read again to long and a lot of pointless information.
Courtney
Feb 25, 2007 Courtney rated it really liked it
Someone...or something is attacking livestock...as well as the more deleterious citizens of a small town.
  • Shadowglass (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #2)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Running with the Pack
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Lycanthia: or The Children of Wolves
  • Benighted
  • The Wolfman
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • The Werewolf's Kiss (Voodoo Moon, #1)
  • The Midnight Work
  • Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts
  • Frostbite (Cheyenne Clark, #1)
  • The Wild
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)

“It's not the wolf that makes the killer, Deputy. It's what lies in the heart of the man."
-Ava”