Ivy Cole and the Moon

Ivy Cole and the Moon

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Ivy Cole has returned home to her North Carolina community with a special gift that erupts in howling on full-moon nights, and makes her judge, jury, and executioner. As Ivy says, "sometimes folks deserve a good killing." But this night, something wants her dead as well.
Published October 3rd 2006 by Berkley (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ivy Cole and the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy Cole and the Moon

Angela
The idea is raised in Gina Farago's Ivy Cole and the Moon tha a girl born south of the Mason-Dixon line is always a part of the South. My parts of Kentucky are more Midwest than Southern--yet they're close enough that I suspect something of that very idea may draw me to novels set there. Especially fantasy novels, or in this particular case, horror.

Ivy Cole and the Moon is not a particularly fast-paced work. But then, it doesn't need to be; instead, like a summer night in the South, it is heavy...more
Karen
This book caught my eye in a bookstore a while back. I'm glad that it did because it was an extremely well-written book. The plot was tight - there was a lot of mystery, but the information was given just at the right time; the characters are great. The only thing I didn't really like was the way that it ended, but perhaps the author was leaving it open for a sequel.
Anita
This is Southern gothic style contemporary fantasy set in the hills of North Carolina featuring werewolves - the not-so-friendly kind. The point of view shifts among different characters, so you know what's coming, and yet there's still a lot of suspense. My only complaint was the Epilogue. I wonder if it was an afterthought to set the stage for a sequel, because it didn't make complete sense given what was written in the rest of the book. The author should have gone back and adjusted a couple s...more
Anna
I have such incredibly mixed feelings about this book that it's just not funny anymore.

After much searching (and eventually finding the object of my former desires on the shelves of a second-hand bookstore), I did eventually track down this strangely hard-to-find book. Unfortunately, though, it's one of those two steps forward, one step back things. As much as the lack of subtle-as-a-brick-to-the-face sexual metaphors (even though modern writers get them rather...wrong. Werewolves were metaphors...more
Georgia
Years ago, I met Gina Farago at a Dragon*Con convention where she had a table with her book Ivy Cole and the Moon and some information about wolves. Being a lover of wolves myself, I was curious and we spoke a bit about her book. I was intrigued and decided to buy it from her. Fast forward past three moves to new homes to now and I found the book again. I finally sat down to read it.

If you are a lover of wolves like I am and aware of the plight of them, you will definitely be glad to read this b...more
Heather  * lost in her own world*
Ok..hmm not how I expected it to end. This is not a type of book I normally read, it is supposed to be horror but I thought it more along the lines of suspense with a hint of romance. I liked how we got to read from so many different perpectives and view points. Most of the times that annoys the heck out of me put it actually worked well in this book.

I never thought I would like reading in the view point of a dog or wolf but I did. The information about wolves and their history will seem overwhe...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Rating: 4.0
Genre: Dark Fantasy, with slight Romance involved.

Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago is a much different story than I was expecting. The story starts out at a slow pace, but that is not always a bad thing. If you allow yourself time to actually take in the world building, and the characters that are introduced to you, you will find that this is a pretty decent story that straddles the line of between dark fantasy and PNR. THe last half of this story is filled with tension and suspen...more
Leslie
Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago is not the type of book I would normally pick up. On the surface it seems to be of the horror genre, not one of my personal favorites. But this 'werewolf' book is far more than it seems on the surface. I was immediately struck by the beauty of the structure as the writer weaved her tale with flashbacks and revelations about the characters. The setting, familiar to me as my own backyard, only added to my interest in the story and the names of the characters we...more
J.s. Wayne
Mar 26, 2011 J.s. Wayne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes werewolves and things that growl in the night
Recommended to J.s. by: I stumbled across it.
This was an excellent book. Gina takes the werewolf mythos out of the forests of Europe and drops it squarely in the middle of a small Southern town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The results are surprising, as her werewolves are in their own just as much victims of their own gifts as the animals and people who cross their paths. There were a few moments where the plot dragged a little, which was the only thing keeping it from a five-star review. However, this book is well worth the read i...more
Ashke
This book isn't bad, per se. I quite enjoyed the plot and thought it was paced nicely from start to finish. The characters and events were very memorable, and I felt the werewolf lore/premise was unique compared to most of the stuff out there. However, the main character came off as extremely Mary Sueish, and this was a hindrance to some of the more horrific and suspenseful plot elements. Also, I felt the author got a bit convoluted with her writing in the final confrontation scenes, so that the...more
Emily
I bought Ivy Cole and the Moon at a dollar store, and as much as I hate to admit it, I started reading the book with lower expectations. But it turned out to be really good! It’s the perfect blend of suspense and romance. The author has an extraordinary ability to describe the scene and the setting. The description is so vivid that I almost felt as if I were in the Blue Ridge Mountains alongside the characters in the book! There were a few minor questions in the story that were left unanswered...more
Ivy Cole and the Moon was loaned to me by my best friend so I knew I was going to love it already, since we have the same taste in books! And I wasn't disappointed! One of the best werewolf tales I've read/seen, Ivy's world is one of true terror. Gina Farago isn't afraid to get her hands messy with gore and surprise endings. You'll love this dangerously delicious novel if you're ready to meet the wolf-woman!
Shari Vassello
Ivy Cole is an unassuming werewolf with the ability to choose her victims. She oftens chooses based on her own unique brand of justice - such as a wife beater or animal abuser. This book is the story of her life - how she became a werewolf and how she lives with it. The author, Gina Farago, is a local NC author and the background of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the story provides another pull to the book.
Amber
A great read! Found this little treasure in a bookstore and fell in love with it! This is my second time to read it. The characters are great and the storyline is perfect! I have always loved wolves and werewolf tales, so this was really fun to read. I actually learned a lot of folklore and wolf behavior from this book that really piqued my interest for history.
I'm so excited to read the next book, Luna! :D
Min
Nov 05, 2009 Min rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
I really can't believe I read this book. None of the characters intrigued me. The imagery and descriptions were a bit heavy-handed through most of the book. At times, it felt pieced together without much thought as to flow. The ending was not a surprise in the least.
I still don't know why I finished it, especially when I have many other books waiting to be read - books which I may actually enjoy.
Lee Ann
Anybody reading this book and thinking they are getting a paranormal romance with a happy ending should wise up. It's a fantastic werewolf horror story with suspense, violence, and, yes, a sad romance featuring a lead female character you won't soon forget. Couldn't wait to see if there would be a sequel and years later came Luna.
Victoria
What a terrific werewolf story! I absolutely loved it! It was quite different from what I expected - and in a very good way. The book was impeccably researched, with a solid plot and fantastic characters. I really loved it! It was an absolute pleasure to read and I am SO happy to have the sequel already. I just can't wait to read it!
Call Me Cranky
It took me a good 100 pages to get into this book, but when it got going, IT GOT GOIN'! This is definitely not a happily every after story, which I almost wish it was, but I don't think it would have been as good if it had been.
N8's True
Its a good book that is not just a romance story but goes deep into the mystical world of werewolves. It was alittle predictable and could have had a better plot line but overall it wasnt a bad book.
Tasula
Different sort of werewolf story set in the American South. Lots of comments about real wolves and what they have endured over the centuries at the hands of mankind. Mystery, plenty of bloodshed.
Monica
Sep 18, 2008 Monica is currently reading it
she is some kind of creature but a human and she murders men who deserve it like men that abuse their wifes
TAMMY mchale
Little slow in the beginning but picked up in the middle. Seemed like there should have been a book before this one.
Marley
Long book, not really worth it to be honest. Wouldn't read again to long and a lot of pointless information.
Courtney
Someone...or something is attacking livestock...as well as the more deleterious citizens of a small town.
Miranda King
It made for a good read and after I finished I reread it again which rarely ever happens
Stacey
Would have given it five stars but for a scene that talks about a Kitty being abused.
Krystle
It was an interesting read, I would like to see another installment.
Jennifer Osterman
So much better than the Twilight series, I think.
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Running with the Pack
  • The Wolfman
  • Shadowglass (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #2)
  • Benighted
  • Wolf Hunt
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1)
  • Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers, #2)
  • In the Dark
  • Frostbite (Werewolves, #1)
  • Dance with Darkness (The Clann Series, Adult)
  • The Turning Tide (Crosspointe Chronicles, #3)
  • Darker Than You Think
  • Hell Kat
  • The Book of Werewolves
Luna The Yearning Tree: A Children's Bereavement Resource Making Do: How to Cook Like a Mountain Mema

“It's not the wolf that makes the killer, Deputy. It's what lies in the heart of the man."
-Ava”