Start by marking “The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim, #1)

The Nethergrim (The Nethergrim Trilogy #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
The people of Moorvale put their faith in the legend: The knight Tristan and the wizard Vithric, in an epic battle, had defeated the evil Nethergrim.

That faith is shaken when livestock go missing, only to turn up as piles of bones. But it’s when a group of children disappear that they know for sure: The Nethergrim has returned.

Edmund’s brother is one of the missing, and Ed
Published April 8th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nethergrim, please sign up.

Dee1 Book 2 in The Nethergrim series, The Skeleth, is planned for release May 2016.
Matthew Jobin I am so glad you have enjoyed Book 1 of the series. I will keep you posted about book 2, first there is the paperback release of book 1 in February…moreI am so glad you have enjoyed Book 1 of the series. I will keep you posted about book 2, first there is the paperback release of book 1 in February 2015.(less)

Faye, la Patata
For many months now, I've been trying to find that perfect YA Fantasy book to satisfy my thirst, but have found nothing that could really satiate that intense craving. So many of them these days have vague and shitty world-building, flat characters, and plotlines that are more apt to be called "plotholes". The majority of them also put too much emphasis on the romance, so much sometimes that other important aspects are forgotten and greatly overshadowed (I am looking at you, The Winner's Curse). ...more
Morgan
Nov 21, 2013 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
So very impressed. It was darker and grimmer than I expected, but had that thread of hope in it that reminded me of both the first Harry Potter and the Seven Realms series. I was drawn in from the start and thought it was such an enthralling adventure. I loved Edmund and Katherine and Tom, though I felt desperately sorry for him. They were believable albeit very brave 14 year olds. I loved the legends and the magic system. And I just loved the writing, it was crisp and melancholy, menacing and e ...more
Dolores
Mar 12, 2014 Dolores rated it it was amazing
What a pleasant surprise! I am not a fan of fantasy novels, but I am now a fan of the Nethergrim series. The main characters and the world building were interesting and well-drawn, with a perfect dose of medieval magic. I became so immersed in this story and it was so believable; not once did I find myself saying, "Are you kidding me?"

This is perfect for fans of "Eragon" and "Narnia". I can't wait 'til someone else I know reads this so we can talk about it.
Sydney
Apr 06, 2014 Sydney rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS SO MUCH. My only regret is not waiting to start until all three books have been released. It's going to be a very long wait, indeed.
Lisa A.
Jan 15, 2014 Lisa A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
While browsing through the book galleys at work I came across "The Nethergrim". It looked interesting and although it is written for children 10 and up, I gave it a try. I was immediately drawn into the story of three friends (Edmund, Katherine and Tom) and their lives in the tiny village of Moorvale. After mysterious animal and children disappearances, the friends are forced into battle against the evil Nethergrim and his horrible minions. The Thornbeast was especially disturbing and scary to m ...more
Tess
Mar 13, 2014 Tess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: waiting-for-next
JUST BEAUTIFUL. Dark, yet full of hope and real human nature. This is sure to be the next big thing, it was an amazing book and I can't wait for the next one. This book is definitely worth picking up even if you don't normally like YA or fantasy, it transcends those genres. I'm going to read it again and savor it.
Alice
May 29, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing
It has been such a long time since I've been so engrossed into a book. This book was amazing and is definitely one that I'm going to keep an eye on.

I loved Edmund. He isn't described as tall, dark, and mysterious probably because it is a middle-grade book. I'm not one who fawns over male protagonists who have everything going on for them. Edmund was really likeable and felt really real to me. Maybe it was the underdog vibe I was getting from him.

The only thing that got me a bit iffy was Edmund
Alex Scholz-lague
Mar 04, 2014 Alex Scholz-lague rated it it was amazing
The Nethergrim by Matthew Jobin was absolutely stunning. When this book is out in April, I would strongly advise picking up a copy, as I couldn't stop reading. The world and characters felt truly alive to me, and I can't imagine the quality of this book when the final version is released. If you enjoy fantasy on any level, this is a must read.
Tamara Richman
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Lord of the Rings lite! Great adventure fantasy with enough dark mystery to keep middle schoolers enthralled. Would have liked more background about magic and out it works but I'm sure it will be addressed in the sequel. Great for fans of Ranger's Apprentice, Eragon, etc.
Ruth Feathers
4.5
Colin
Apr 01, 2014 Colin rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Oh man, what a surprise this book turned out to be. Firstly, shout out to Mr Jobin for creating a YA fantasy book that I don't want to throw out the window. Secondly, shout out to my friend and book reviewer extraordinaire Faye! For introducing this gem of a book to me in the first place!

I'm a huge Fantasy fan in general and I read everything from epic fantasy to urban fantasy but I have to say, YA fantasy is a genre I'm not too fond of these days. Most of the time, thes
Jacki
Mar 26, 2014 Jacki rated it really liked it
Dark, enthralling, and charming. Great for Last Apprentice or Harry Potter fans.

Review at storytimehooligans.wordpress.com/2014...
LovesHorses
Jul 08, 2013 LovesHorses rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Ranger's Apprentice
The Nethergrim is the kind of new book many of us have been awaiting for a long time - a story that engrosses us fully in a world so well crafted that is seems entirely real. The middle ages world of the Nethergrim is immersive and captivating with a cast of characters that will become your friends - and your foes - that stay with you long after you finish the book. The characters and the plot have the depth and richness to make this book as entertaining for adults as it is for kids.

The three yo
Booklover23
Dec 06, 2013 Booklover23 rated it it was amazing
The Nethergrim is being marketed a young adult or maybe middle grade fantasy, but it is definitely appealing to adults. The author manages to craft a story with layers that provides great crossover potential. The writing is so well crafted it is difficult to believe this is his first book. I got so caught up in the characters and their story that I could not put it down, I barely got any sleep for 3 days while I devoured this book! I contemplated taking time off work to stay home and read it :)

T
Alex
Nov 01, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
This was a completely blind read for me that I was fortunate enough to pick up at Comic Con before it is to be released this coming April. What started as a, "let's try it out on the subway ride home" became a reading frenzy to the finish. Always trust a book with a map inside the cover, I say. It's hard to believe Mr. Jobin is a first time writer. As a fantasy fan and a school teacher I will recommend this book both to nerds and students alike. Mr. Jobin is a fantastic writer with a skill for w ...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This series opener has the feel of classic fantasy, yet it still comes across as fresh. Plenty of scary action and extremely likable young heroes.
Julie
May 20, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
A great young adult novel.
Kelly Sierra
“Edmund felt despair eating away at his victory. ‘Why is the world like this?’ He shivered. ‘Why does it feel so cold, so hard?’
A smile flickered on John’s face, one that was neither happy nor sad. ‘What would be the worth of goodness, in a world that always rewarded it?’”

Edmund is the older of two sons, and will one day inherit his father’s tavern; however, Edmund has other dreams. He wishes to be as powerful as the legendary wizard Vithric. Many years ago, a dark shadow passed over the land
Mark E.
Jan 17, 2014 Mark E. rated it it was amazing
I picked up an advance copy from a good friend of mine, and I do not regret reading it one bit. After I kept thanking him, he suggested I join goodreads and share my thoughts instead. Here goes:

The Nethergrim is a surprisingly dark fantasy novel perfect for the early-teen crowd. It has a lot of suspense: from whodunnit to "oh please, no, don't go in there!"

It also paints a wonderfully everyday picture of life for everyday people in a setting rather like the European Dark Ages. Our heroes aren't
James Huffman
Jan 17, 2014 James Huffman rated it it was amazing
Jobin creates a fully realized world with internal myths, broad family dynamics, and complex main characters. He leaves you hungering for the next volume!
Jesse
Loved this. fast paced. well written.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 28, 2014 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy books, until I get one that I like. This one looked like standard medieval monster fighting fare, but our School Secretary Extraordinaire, Amy, really liked it, so I soldiered through. I'm glad I did, because fans of The Ranger's Apprentice or The Last Apprentice will need to read this one. There are always a handful of students who only want to read medieval fantasy, so I need to get a few new titles every year.

17938370Jobin, Matthew. The Nethe
Maki
Jun 05, 2014 Maki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been needing a good, solid fantasy story, and The Nethergrim worked perfectly.

The synopsis compares it to the Ranger's Apprentice series and Chronicles of Narnia, but it's definitely more Ranger's Apprentice. Not quite sure how it's supposed to be like Narnia. But whatever.

Everybody knows the story: The great knight Tristan and the wizard Vithric went to slay the Nethergrim. Sixty men went up - three men came down. But Tristan had managed to defeat the Nethergrim.

Except...that's not quite h
Chi-chi
Oct 13, 2013 Chi-chi rated it really liked it
Matthew Jobin’s The Nethergrim faced an uphill battle when I began reading. It’s classified as a children’s book, instead of the YA book that it is. It’s got a weird looking cover and even stranger back cover. The title is offputting. Honestly, after all that, I only gave it a try because I got the free ARC. So consider me shocked when I was drawn in after the first page.

The book is framed by the legend of a great hero named Tristan. Once you hear his story, you are brought to a sleepy small tow
Jolandie Fourie
Apr 04, 2014 Jolandie Fourie rated it really liked it
Really, really good. Could easily be compared to one of the great children adventure stories.
Surprisingly eager for the next book to come out!
Nancy
Feb 09, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Legend says that the mighty knight Tristan and the powerful wizard Vithric entered the lair of the terrible Nethergrim and slew it. "And there, in those chambers, did I see with mine own eyes his works in all their dread and decaying splendor, for rotting there in that cold sanctuary lay the hoarded wealth of centuries, taken by force and fear and left to ruin in a lightless grotto. Upon the star lay seven children. The people wept for fury and for shame as the light of their torches did fall up ...more
Evelyn Romp
Jun 11, 2014 Evelyn Romp rated it it was amazing
Ik heb gelachen, ik heb gehuild, ik heb pagina's overgeslagen omdat het te spannend was (en toen toch maar weer terug gebladerd om het alsnog te lezen) en ik heb alleen maar aan dit boek gedacht op de momenten dat ik het niet aan het lezen was.
Dit boek is echt heel erg goed geschreven. De personages zijn levensecht en kruipen direct onder je huid. Er zijn helden en anti-helden. Ze zijn sympathiek en hebben allemaal hun sterktes en zwaktes. Tom was mijn favoriet, zo'n soort type kom je te weinig
Angelica
Apr 08, 2014 Angelica rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read! It's suspenseful, a page turner, and a crazy twist at the end!
Chapter by Chapter
Nov 22, 2013 Chapter by Chapter rated it really liked it
Right from the get-go it was the title of author Matthew Jobin’s The Nethergrim that had me interested in reading. It sounded interesting, foreboding and after reading over the novel’s description I was interested in finding out where it would go. A middle grade novel dealing with fantasy and a bad guy way more powerful than they could even dream of being? Sounded like a great read and luckily for me it totally was.

It’s been years since the evil Nethergrim was killed and main characters Edmund,
  • Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times
  • The Forbidden Library (The Forbidden Library, #1)
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • The Castle Behind Thorns
  • A Path Begins (The Thickety #1)
  • Dreamwood
  • The Dyerville Tales
  • The Last Wild
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Allies & Assassins (Allies & Assassins, #1)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Lost Children of the Far Islands
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Omega City (Omega City, #1)
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly
When I was small, I often spent my free time playing in a little forested ravine near my house. I found names for places, climbed trees as high as they would bear me, watched the change of seasons – I even rafted down the creek that wound through it one flooded spring. Somewhere back in those days a place began to take shape in my mind that I have been exploring ever since. I loved to read, and lo ...more
More about Matthew Jobin...

The Nethergrim Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Skeleth (The Nethergrim, #2)

“Edmund felt despair eating away at his victory. "Why is the world like this?" He shivered. "Why does it feel so cold, so hard?"
A smile flickered on John’s face, one that was neither happy nor sad. "What would be the worth of goodness, in a world that always rewarded it?”
7 likes
“Every spell is something special, fit for the moment when it's done." Edmund pushed his bowl across to Tom. "It's not just the words you say, but the way they make you feel, the meaning and the rhythm, the connection you make with them. It's not just the things you think, but how the place and time you're in can change them.” 6 likes