Start by marking “Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management

Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management (Mrs Beeton's Cookery Collection #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  50 reviews
'As with the commander of an army, or the leader of any enterprise, so it is with the mistress of a house.' A founding text of Victorian middle-class identity, Household Management is today one of the great unread classics. Over a thousand pages long, and written when its author was only 22, it offered highly authoritative advice on subjects as diverse as fashion, child-ca ...more
Published January 1983 by Chancellor Press (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Beeton's Book Of Household Management

Whitaker
Sep 22, 2011 Whitaker marked it as celebrity-death-match  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW IS SOLELY FOR CELEBRITY DEATH MATCH

From his vantage point on a hill, Napoleon surveys the carnage going on between French and Russian troops below. Suddenly, to his astonishment, he sees a woman wandering around amid the fighting soldiers. She seems to be carrying a large kettle of soup.

Sacre bleu! Qu’est qu'elle fait là-bas?” [Good lord, what is she doing there?]
Lieutenant! Saisissez cette femme, et l’emmenez ici!” [Lieutenant! Seize that woman, and bring her here!]

The trusty li
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Mary Poppins (32) versus Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management (16)

[Breakfast at the Banks's. MR BANKS eats his toast with an irritated expression]

MR BANKS: Winifred?

MRS BANKS: Yes dear?

MR BANKS: Don't you sometimes think that Mary Poppins is a little too, how shall I put it, magical?

MRS BANKS: Yes dear.

MR BANKS: Then don't you think we should do something about it?

MRS BANKS: Yes dear.

MR BANKS: Well, what are we going to do then?

MRS BANKS: Don
notgettingenough
A Celebrity Deathmatch review. Mrs B vs War and Peace.

Me: They’ve announced the draw for the fight tonight.You’ve got Leo.

Mrs B: Tolstoy? That – that – that –

Me: Vegetarian?

Mrs B: Exactly. That vapid wimpy, let’s not be killing animals, I eat to live Russian borscht swiller. Well, pluck me dead and –

And, yes, saute some shallots gently in butter, add some white wine and –

Mrs B hastily collects herself. Ha. You know he hates the sight of blood. He won’t even turn up at the ring. Who do I get ne
Ellen

description

In The Awakening we are prompted to sympathize with Edna Pontellier, who feels unfulfilled, a piece of property her husband owns. At one point in the book, Edna steps over a servant, a “quadroon,” and I thought, “What about her life?” In more books than you would suppose, the servants, the lower classes, are presented so fleetingly, they become invisible.

One of fascinating aspects of The Remains of the Day--both the book and film-- was how fully the lives of the servants were depicted. Underneat
Sakkfeminizmus
A "straw feminist" a feminista változata a hírhedt szalma ember. A szalma ember a személy, aki feltalálta a tulajdon egy pontot, általában összefogást szálat a másik oldal érveit, és hiedelmek, valamint a hamis nyilatkozatokat tett a másik oldalon. Gyakran elofordul, hogy szalmát ember kifejezetten könnyen megtámadják, a teremto így hiányosságok a fiktív teremtés logikája amely bántalmazták könnyedén, és ezzel "megcáfolása" pontok által a másik oldalon.

Abban az értelemben, a feminizmus, a "straw
Manny
Sep 29, 2011 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management (16) versus War and Peace (17)

- Count Tolstoy, to what do I owe the pleasure of this unexpected visit?

- Mrs Beeton, admit defeat. Your goose is cooked.

- What, already? Let me check the thermometer... no, still well under 180 degrees, so I'm relieved to see you are mistaken. But that reminds me, I must put on the potatoes and beans. I apologise, I'd love to chat, but this is a rather busy moment. Could you
notgettingenough
Celebrity Death Match review vs M. Poppins.

‘You have to admit you’re a bit light weight aren’t you?

It’s going to take more than a spoonful of sugar to win this competition, you understand. I mean look at what Heart of Darkness is doing to Pooh and 1984 to Alice. You kiddy characters who think life’s all about honey and sweet things…we’re going to have to cook up something pretty good to take on the heavyweights here.

It’s a pity, of course, that we aren’t meeting in the final.’

Isabella and Mary w
John Lewis
A remarkable classic and fantastic insight into Victorian life through the auspices of the kitchen - Isabella Beeton, often mistaken for a much older woman, was merely 22 when she compiled her seminal tome of good recipes, seasonal produce and practical advice for the everyday running of the home and the caring of the ill and infirm. Despite it's age; Household Management is still a go to book today for remedial action, and although the methods and even ingredients are by today's standards somew ...more
Scott J.
An interesting way of approaching an epoch -- through advice meant to be purely practical. A modern day (sort of) version of Virgil's Georgics? We read: pastoral splendor. He meant: particulars of animal husbandry.

Beeton's text is sort of the same thing. She meant: how to manage your footmen & butlers, prepare meals for invalids, host a 9-course dinner for 80 guests, etc. We read: hilarious Victorian novelty from cover to cover.
Bec
My grandmother brought all of her grandchildren (who all happen to be girls) a copy of this book, so that we would have no excuse for an untidy house or going hungry. All it made me do was research getting servants.
Zombaby Cera
It's completely astounding how much involvement went into running a victorian household of good standing. Thank goodness for modern conveniences and lower standards! *lolz*
Caly
This was a free Kindle book for the purpose of research for my NaNowriMo '11/12 project. Interestingly, my first introduction to this book was through the wonderful BBC show, Supersizers. As such, when I read through this guide of running a household -- I hear it read in my head in the voice of Sue Perkins.

This book is progressive for the era it was written, though it still at times, of course, annoys my feminist sensibilities. It is, however, an invaluable resource in understanding both the wa
Cindy
I thoroughly enjoyed this tome (no other description will do). This book is eminently approachable, one can either read it sequentially, or mine for data at will. At times the book leaves a faint taste of admonition, but nevertheless, I would heartily recommend this book to cookbook collectors and lovers of history, alike. The window through which readers gaze upon this slice of life is captivating and sure to please the "Upstairs, Downstairs" crowd, et al.
Rey Walker
Provides an excellent snapshot of middle class British households in the mid 1800s. Even the author's misguided opinions and instructions are enlightening. I particularly enjoyed the "General Observations" sections that provide tangential, historic, or seemingly random notes about the chapter. The section on domestic help is interesting too because it provides the duties and expectations of the various types of employees hired to run a household.
☯Bettie☯
REVIEW FOR Celebrity Death Match Review Elimination Tournament ONLY

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management (16) versus War and Peace (17)

Setting - Mud Wrestling Ring on a pontoon in the middle of a lake.

Mrs B faces the forces of both leaders of Le Grande Armee and Hussars and spoons them generous portions of...

(From page 133) - "USEFUL SOUP FOR BENEVOLENT PURPOSES: Ingredients - an ox-cheek; any pieces of trimmings of beef, which may be bought very cheaply (say 4 lbs); a few bones; any pot-
Karen
My mom got a copy of this, and I greatly enjoyed reading it and looking through it. Some of the recipes sound quite doable, and other seem quite alarming. It took us a while to figure out some of the ingredients as well; who knew that isinglass was a kind of gelatin, and forcemeat meant stuffing(I think)? There are also some really interesting sections on how to manage your servants (hah!), and how much to pay them and so on. There were also sample dinner menus for the family, and for dinner par ...more
Mikael Lind
I have a facsimile of the original, a beautiful hardback book that I randomly read every week or so.
I haven't tried a simple recipe, but that's not what matters. This book is simply a fabulous time document of the Victorian era. Also, it can be both informative and less-so, and at times it is just (unintentionally) really funny.
I love this book, my friends love it and always flick trough it when they come to visit. Try to find a beautiful copy of this; that's the most important thing. My hardbac
Rosie Claverton
Good contemporary reference for nineteenth century household management - essential reading for Victorian era fiction, though I recommend skipping over the recipes (i.e. most of the book)
Gisela Francisco
The edition I have is from 1907.
Brilliant way to look into the victorian era.
Elisha (lishie)
I have been reading/looking over this Reference book while reading Mary: A Novel by Janis Cooke Newman (Mrs. Lincoln mocks a "Mrs. Beecher" when she is trying to learn to keep house and the reference must be to Mrs. Beeton.) Isabella Beeton was considered a "Domestic Goddess", the Victorian eras' Martha Stewart and any Lady of the House owned a copy of the book. I remember watching Victorian House on PBS and the mother being given this book for all cleaning and cooking reference. 580 pages of Vi ...more
Kim
As a woman and a medical professional, this book made me laugh sometimes in some of the
practices and recommendations given by Mrs Beeton.
Keeping windows closed at night, and also not allowing adults to sleep in the same room as babies, because babies suck all the oxygen, was astonishing.
I was horrified as some of recipes and foods eaten, and also amazed and envious at others.
As a top seller during it's day, I can see a lot of households trying to live as Mrs Beeton recommended, as people do toda
Amanda Nuchols
Sure, it's dated in many respects, especially considering some of the social advice, but the recipes are worth every minute you spend reading this book. It's also interesting learning about older cooking tools, old names for ingredients/spices and the history of pricing for many meals. Anyone who considers themselves a "foodie" or a proficient cook should absolutely read this book to learn more about the history of food. I guarantee you will also find piles of recipes still good for today's tabl ...more
Regina Hunter
Amazing book. I wish that I would have it sooner.
Ailish
Mine is an 1890s edition I found in a garage. Contains wonderful things like how to truss a fowl, recipes for arrowroot blancmange, grouse pie, roast widgeon and mulligatawny soup as well as 'Soup, useful for Benevolent Purposes', menus for ball suppers, cleaning the drawing room, instructions on the division of labour between the servants and how much beer to allow them.
Jayne
I am delighted to have a copy of this book to browse over the next three weeks. I inherited 'Mrs Beeton's Cookery' from my beloved GrandMother and have recently wanted to get hold of a book about the art of Home-Making, so I'm really looking forward to delving deeper into this book, as it seems so close to my heart already :)
Gobnait
This is a fascinating look at how households were run in the Victorian era. At the time that it was written, it was considered a handbook. Now, it would be considered a wonderful glimpse into our history. Some of the things about manners, propriety, and conservative dress make me long for those days.
Rachel
Love this book. I was bracing myself for a stuffy Victorian voice, but I was curious, so I opened it up and immediately found myself drawn in by bright, clear and interesting writer. It is a delightful read and has some pretty good recipes...although I doubt I will ever try the tourtise recipe, yuk.
Robyn
I've read the text on mrsbeeton.com several times over the years, and it only today occurred to me that it was probably available as a free Kindle version. It's amazing how useful an 1861 book on household management and other domestic matters can be today. Also totally fascinating, of course.
Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2010 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Olivia
Shelves: cookbooks
To call this a cookbook is to totally sell short both the text and its author - a woman who is to some extent responsible for the existence of cookbooks as we know them. I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon for free, and am looking forward to paging through this at my leisure.
Gillian
This is a facsmile of the original print and as such is a really, really interesting read (if at times unintentionally hilarious). I love this book. I'll probably never cook anything from it but it's so worth having a copy as a social commentary. Brilliant.
  • The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs. Beeton: The First Domestic Goddess
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy
  • Governess
  • Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England
  • English Bread And Yeast Cookery
  • Victorian People and Ideas
  • The London Underworld in the Victorian Period: Authentic First-Person Accounts by Beggars, Thieves and Prostitutes
  • Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking
  • Victorian London: The Tale of a City 1840-1870
  • Domestic Manners of the Americans
  • Daily Life In Victorian England
  • Medieval Women: A Social History of Women in England 450-1500
  • Our Tempestuous Day: History Of Regency England
Isabella Mary Beeton (née Mayson) universally known as Mrs Beeton, was the English author of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, and is one of the most famous cookery writers.

Popularly known as Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, it was a guide to running a Victorian household, with advice on fashion, childcare, animal husbandry, poisons, the management of servants, science, religion
More about Isabella Beeton...
The Campaign for Domestic Happiness The Best of Mrs Beeton's Cakes and Baking The Best of Mrs Beeton's Household Tips Beeton's Book of Needlework The Best Of Mrs. Beeton's Easy Everyday Cooking

“Afternoon tea should be provided, fresh supplies, with thin bread-and-butter, fancy pastries, cakes, etc., being brought in as other guests arrive.” 6 likes