Start by marking “The Hellsblood Bride (Mookie Pearl, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hellsblood Bride (Mookie Pearl, #2)

The Hellsblood Bride (Mookie Pearl #2)

Yes, we're going back deep underground for another twelve rounds with Mookie Pearl. Father, barkeep, former Mafioso, ruler of his subterranean crime-kingdom. The Organization is back, and they'll do anything to get Mookie on board, but Mookie has gone legit, and it's taking every ounce of effort for him to keep his new bar from crashing and burning. To top it all, his ...more
Published by Angry Robots (first published December 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Hellsblood Bride, please sign up.

Shane Keene Chuck Wendig just posted this today: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/.... Looks like Mookie Pearl is alive and well. Hellsblood Bride should be…moreChuck Wendig just posted this today: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/.... Looks like Mookie Pearl is alive and well. Hellsblood Bride should be out sometime around halloween.(less)

Dan Schwent
Jul 15, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
Nora Pearl is stuck in Hell and the only way out is to marry a demon. Her father, Mookie, has other ideas...

The second Mookie Pearl book is just as bad ass as the first. When the book starts, Mookie has one foot in the grave and a daughter that's all the way there. From there, things just get worse.

The book shifts viewpoints between Mookie and Nora and both threads are full of awesomeness. Mookie is like a human battering ram and Nora is much more subtle, making their viewpoints very distinct. T
Cathy
I got into it right away even though I couldn't remember anything about the first book except that I really liked it, and that I really wanted this one and that I was super frustrated that my library never got it. The important things came back as the story went along. I liked that the author didn't do any infodumps at all, the history was just worked into the story. As it should..

Don't read this if you're sensitive to violence (knives, some guns, lots of fighting, gangs, supernatural assassins
Gabriel
Nov 08, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
The world Chuck Wendig created in The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl Book 1) was violent and fascinating, a version of Hell right under the streets of New York that festered with nightmarish creatures and was mined by a criminal group called the Organization for its mystical drug Blue, derived from the mineral Cerulean. Mookie Pearl, a wrecking ball of a man, ran that operation for them until his daughter Nora decided to turn the whole thing on its ear.

The Hellsblood Bride expands the mythology of Bl
Nick Nafpliotis
Nov 01, 2015 Nick Nafpliotis rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected surprise to get this book a year earlier than anticipated. As expected, it was fantastic. Not quite as great as Blue Blazes, but darn close. Wendig also promised a definite ending...and we get one...but I really hope he continues with the series. The potential third chapter he set up would be awesome.
Kdawg91
Nov 14, 2015 Kdawg91 rated it it was amazing
if you like urban fantasy, you can not do better than Mookie Pearl, period.

(thats pretty much all I got to say about that)
Curtis Edmonds
Nov 19, 2015 Curtis Edmonds rated it really liked it
You could make the argument that THE HELLSBLOOD BRIDE is an exercise in deconstructionism. It would be a remarkably stupid argument, but you could make it. Applying deconstructionism to genre fiction is a little bit like applying plastic explosives to the LEGO model of the Star Wars "Death Star" that the nerdy kid next door spent three months slaving over--essentially pointless, but good fun that could never hurt anyone unless you actually stepped on a LEGO brick.

When you blow a genre of fiction
Chris Bauer
Dec 10, 2015 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it
"The Hellsblood Bride" is the sequel to Wendig's book "Blue Blazes" and like the first of the series, this particular book is written very well.

Our protagonist, Mookie, is one-man wrecking machine with a will of iron. When his daughter Nora, is trapped in a literal Underworld, it is up to him to find a way to bring her home.

Many of the excellent characters introduced in the first book make appearances once again - even if they were killed off in the prior work.

The writing is tight and filled wit
Karl
Nov 02, 2015 Karl rated it really liked it
Another brain-bruising romp from Chuck Wendig! 4.5 stars.
Kelly
Nov 11, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Excellent sequel. Beautiful writing, great story. Can't wait for the next one!
James Cox
Mar 19, 2016 James Cox rated it really liked it
Really entertaining with great characters!
Sunil
Apr 18, 2016 Sunil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
I loved the hell out of The Blue Blazes , so I eagerly anticipated the follow-up, and despite some publisher hiccups, it finally came out! And it was worth the wait. The Hellsblood Bride is a hell(sblood) of a (b)ride. I read it all in one day.

Whereas The Blue Blazes was supernatural crime noir, The Hellsblood Bride is more urban fantasy, but Wendig-y. Given that the previous book focused on, well, wiping out most of the crime noir element, I understand why this would be a very different book.
Kenny
Feb 13, 2016 Kenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The ONLY reason this isn't a 5 star is : not enough Mookie. Well, that and Nora is an annoying brat for too much of the book.

Actually, screw it - 5 stars...

OK. This book is like watching a Guy Ritchie or Tarantino film, and I mean that as high praise! It is visceral - you can hear, smell, even taste what is happening. The tension is pretty much ratcheting up non-stop. In the few times that we get to take a breather, you can almost feel something moving around in the darkness, just setting up to
Andy Robson
This book is intense,rocket fast paced,viceral,brutal and a total blast from start to finish.Just shy of 300 pages means there's not a bit of fat on it.I doesn't stop,and i really mean that.No stopping to take in the scenery,no pause for thought. Just full on Mookie destroying everything in his path. Amazing stuff,and one of the best endings ever.
Eileen Lane
Jan 07, 2016 Eileen Lane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Book 2 gives the reader much of that same ride and tone as book 1, although the focus is on Mookie’s daughter Nora and her desperate need to get out of hell. Action packed, lots of blood, gore and humor. Fast-paced and well written. I really enjoy the writing style of this author, and would definitely buy the sequel to this installment.
Matt
Nov 23, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing
Well, I hope this isn't the end of these books. Both of these books are just great. The ending to this one, in particular, is amazing. I really hope wendig gives us more in this series because the first two simply amazing.
Andy
Jan 10, 2016 Andy rated it liked it
In book one, the ending managed to make the potentially enormous world feel really quite small. That was fixed here. The world feels vast and full of interesting stuff.

Half way through I was losing interest, but it ended really well.
amyextradot
Apr 26, 2016 amyextradot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent follow up to The Blue Blazes. Um, that's all I want to say so I don't ruin it. But, further character development, new beasties, new mythology.
Petr
Petr rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
John Hofstee
John Hofstee rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Luther Siler
Luther Siler rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
David Solan
David Solan rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
max o dowd
max o dowd rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2016
Joe Hughes
Joe Hughes rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Lloyd
Lloyd rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Witch Finder, #2)
  • Year of the Demon (Fated Blades, #2)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
  • A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Tales from the Archives, Volume 3
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Fortune's Blight (Shattered Kingdoms, #2)
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)
  • Winterlands (Winterlands, #1-2)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies - FREE PREVIEW EDITION (The First 87 Pages)
  • At the Gates (Demon Squad, #3)
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 4)
  • A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan, #2)
  • Mythmaker (Peacemaker, #2)
  • Witches With the Enemy (Mist-Torn Witches, #3)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Lustlocked (Sin du Jour, #2)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig...

Mookie Pearl (3 books)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Red Devils Rise (Mookie Pearl, #3)

“It’s cliché, but you know sorry doesn’t actually do anything, right? It’s like a birthday card a month after the day has passed. It’s just a, a, a… a token, a word that makes you feel like you did something but that doesn’t do anything to fill the hole inside of me.” 0 likes
“He’s the meat in the meat locker. The wrecking ball at the end of a crane’s chain. The seawall that stands between the ocean and the shore. Big. Bald. Beaten down.” 0 likes