Start by marking “Wild-born (Psionic Pentalogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wild-born (Psionic Pentalogy, #1)

Wild-born (PSIONIC Pentalogy #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  54 reviews
When young Adrian Howell discovers he possesses powerful telekinetic abilities, he is plunged into a sinister world of warring paranormal factions and terrifying government organizations. Adrian must discover what really happened to his missing sister. But to do this, he will first have to find his place among fugitives like himself, and protect the life of a deeply scarre ...more
Published (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wild-born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild-born

Sean Endress
Taken from my Amazon.com review

Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The opinions below are entirely my own.

At first glance, "Wild-born" does not appear to be unique in its genre. Orphaned boy with magic powers? Check. Scary organizations trying to kill/capture/use said boy? Check. Mysterious old man, kindly mother figure? Check and check! So what exactly sets Wild-born, and the PSIONIC Pentalogy apart?

For starters, you've got a fairly uncommon fi
Dennis De
Apr 01, 2014 Dennis De rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dennis by: Dennis de Wit
Most self-publishing authors, especially in their first works, play things safe by clinging to more or less cliched subjects and characters. They start out with a little backstory on the hero, and then comes a shocking revelation of some kind followed by the introduction of the antagonist(s). After this, the hero suffers some form of defeat before slowly crawling back up and emerging victorious in the end. It’s an easy model to follow and has proven successful so often new authors seem to feel c ...more
The Psionic series is a pentalogy revolving around a highly detailed world of humans and Psionics. Psionics refer to people who have acquired extra mental capacities such as telekinesis, mind control and a whole range of completely original abilities too.

The Pentalogy follows the story of Adrian Howell who coincidentally shares the name of the author. (Henceforth if I refer to Howell I mean the author and Adrian, the character.) Adrian is just about thirteen years old in Book One: Wild-Born alth
Maria
First of all, I could have done without the introduction. I get that starting the story with the main character retelling it after having lived through it gives the story a sense of urgency, but I really don’t think it needed it. Also, the writing of the introduction was pretty bad and I almost gave up on the book before it even truly started.

That said, once Adrian’s powers began to manifest and the mythology began to unfold, I was hooked. The world Howell describes is vast, and gives you the s
Terisa
Adrian Howell always thought that it was normal for things to fall off shelves and walls, after all it had been happening around him his entire life. It had gotten to the point when he could pinpoint the moment that it was going to happen. It wasn’t until he was in a terrible accident that he discovered the real truth and that is that he was making it happen. He thought that discovery that he had telekinetic powers was really going to make school more interesting when it started back up, oh the ...more
Michael Andrews
This book is the first in a five book series and if the remaining four are anything like it, then Mr Howell has an amazing series of books to his name.

I found the main character, 13 year old Adrian, to be a well written individual and the author has managed to achieve joining the anxieties that go with any adolescent boy coupled with the weird, growing powers that he possesses.

The book is split into three plots, all of which work well. The first part goes into his growing up and how he comes to
Paul
Wild Born is the 1st of a five book series and is free in ebook form so give It read, I wasn't sure what to expect but that's always good when you stumble in clueless and find yourself drawn in. It soon became obvious I would be reading the 2nd book "TheTower" and from there.. Well I just finished the fifth and final book "Guardian Angel" yesterday. Throughout there was only one time I felt let down when I thought the writer Adrian Howell (same name as the books main caricature) not sure what. T ...more
Patricia Walker
This is one of the best young adult books I've read in a while. From the start there is action that demands attention as we follow the story of Adrian and the disaster his life seems to become. We follow him through some very tough growing up and some very tough decisions until he finally realises that not all is as it seems nor does it have to be a difficult road to travel. There is enough angst and attitude to keep any reader spellbound throughout the book - indeed I found it very hard to put ...more
Tabarak
Shirley A Gray
Wild-born (Psionic Pentalogy Book 1)

This was a very interesting book......with new and different characters who had new and exciting unknown powers. (To me)
I did have a hard time keeping track of ALL the characters though and that was frustrating for me. After all the books I have read, this should not be a problem for me.
I am not sure if I will read another book by this author.....we will see. :|
As for recommending this book...I am 50-50.
Read or not?
If you have other books to be read...as all
Haleigh Whitlock
The storyline itself was intriguing and I enjoyed the progression of his powers and the diversity of relationships between characters aside from the usual romance. I read this in two sittings. It isn't long enough to be tedious, getting straight to the meat of most situations.

However, Having the narrator describe himself and foreshadow how terrible his life was going to became came off as a bit unprofessional and took away from the drama when these events actually occurred. Yes they were ugly,
Maria
3.5/5 Stars

Nearing his thirteenth birthday, Adrian discovers that he has special abilities; he's telekinetic. An attack on his family by an evil force sends his world spinning as he discovers who he is and how to survive. (I am beyond the age of thirteen, so I can't really review the book as such.)

Narration: First person – Adrian

Character Development: Adrian has a good heart and tries to do the right thing. He is still a kid after all and makes mistakes. He soon learns there are consequences for
Kristine
A supernatural adventure with giant hurdles to overcome, Adrian (the young main character) faces many emotions while trying to save his own way of life. This novel was very well written and was hard to put down. A FOUR STAR read for readers seeking an adventure through a world saturated with hidden supernaturals.

Adrian Howell is a 12 year old boy when his world is flipped upside down. He is captured and he loses his sister, after he witnesses the murder of his parents. His old games playing with
phyllis
No fairy tale

A young boy trying to learn about his telekinesis, only to be thrust into the fight for his life. Confused and uncertain about who is right bad who

A young boy trying to learn about his telekinesis, only to be thrust into a fight for life. Confused and uncertain about who is right and who is wrong, he struggles to find his way. A good book that not only moves along quickly, but is hard book to put down. It deserves the awards it has gotten.

Dana Wood
I ended up enjoying this book even though I was beginning to think I would not. the author was quite up front with how much he did not like religion. especially jesus. his viewpoint on life is summed up in the firt chapter that there is no good or bad depending on what side one is on. anyway, once I got past the obvios disdain for religion, the story was actually complelling and interesting. the character likeable and you truley rooted.for.them.
Nataša
This book is about people with supernatural talents that are called psionics. There’s a male protagonist whose perspective we’re reading named Adrian. I actually thought of him a bit older in his actions and behavior than what he was portrayed. I always find it interesting when a certain branch of government gets involved. It’s a fine line from believable to unbelievable and I think this author did a good job on that. Definitely a good read.
Cindy Cunningham
Enjoyable read

I liked reading about this young man coming into his powers. He was multilayered and interesting. This is for young readers....maybe intended for tweens, but I enjoyed it as an adult reader. The opening was exceptionally compelling and you're never quite sure who is on the "right side." Will read the next in the series.
Vivian Corey
Got My Attention Right Away

Although not the type of book I normally read this storey caught my attention right from the beginning. I had a hard time putting it down once I started reading. Highly recommended to those who like mysteries with a touch of the supernatural. I will be downloading the sequels in this series for sure!
Lee Schneider
It is a book about kindness. Main hero teen Adrian Howell is kind and smart person and also very brave. People hate anybody with such abilities and try to use them, but I am sure he will not allow it and everything will end successfully. It will be hard for teen, but he is not ordinary teen with his soul abilities too.
Michael
Psionic power and what to watch out for

An interesting premise fun at first, but like Ben Parker said "With great power comes great responsibility." some scary human emotions but when you think about it maybe truth. Start the adventure follow a young boy and decide if you would have made the same choices???
Janet L. Hage
Young adult talent

Twelve year old Adrian's world turns upside down when he learns how to overcome gravity. Well-written with well developed characterization. Guardians, Angels, and government scientists together make a very spellbinding novel and not one to miss. Ages twelve to adult.
Kira
A riveting read. I enjoyed the first person narrative, even though I prefer third person I think it worked well here. The characters were good and the writing was well done. it did feel a little repetitive in places which is why it lost a star but I enjoyed the twist at the end. A nice quick read.
Polly P Rowan
Well written

Well written

One of the few free books that made me actually considered buying the follow-ups. Most realistic kids...actually reacted like kids do when struggling to understand adult motivation.
Tricia
Takes a something humans would actually do to individuals with unique abilities and makes an interesting story from it. Not a "cliffhanger" like a lot of books are becoming, it ends this part if the tale. But it does leave you with more stories.
I can't wait to see what happens with Addy & Alia in the future books. Plus learning about Cat, will she be recovered or lost for good.
Kim Monroe
A good book

was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. even tho it user-friendly much youngerreaders than myself, Ithaca celebratory.only wish the rest of theorizing this series werefreeaswell.
Jack
A well written book, but the narrator doesn't really know how bad the world is compared too his world. He described his tale as something terrible and horrible. When really, a kid in Africa would find it a lovely holiday
Terence
The book was excellent it had no down time action from beginning to end .I LOVE THIS BOOK

A most read Adrian Howell did a great job on this one here I'm going to start on the next one now
Nadine Ahearn
Interesting read that leaves you wanting more.

Interesting read that leaves you wanting to jump right into the very next one. Heading to Amazon now to find the next one.
Karen Parker
Attention getting

Attention getting

I read the engine book today well worth the time spent doing so. I just bought the second book in the series
Richard Preston jr
Psionc is adventure!!

The way Psionc is written it draws one in and does not let you go tell the end nothing but praise and good wishes for Adrian Howell.
Adrian's life 1 3 Jan 18, 2015 03:56AM
  • Mark of the Mage (Scribes of Medeisia, #1)
  • Ghost Hand (The PSS Chronicles, #1)
  • Born Lucky (The JD Chronicles)
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • Secrets (The Hero Chronicles #1)
  • The Raven Mocker: Evil Returns to Cades Cove
  • The Protector (Descendant Series #1)
  • Land
  • Cloak
  • Callis Rose
  • Child of the Ghosts (Ghosts, #1)
  • The Woodlands (The Woodlands, #1)
  • Contributor (Contributor, #1)
  • Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)
  • In Cold Blood (Beatrix Rose #1)
  • Small Town Witch (Fae of Calaveras, #1)
  • Island of Fog (Island of Fog, #1)
  • Ethan Wright and the Curse of Silence
Adrian Howell (pen name) is the author of the Psionic Pentalogy: five novels that follow the life of a telekinetic teenager through a dark world of warring paranormal factions, deadly religious cults and secret government organizations.

Born of a Japanese mother and American father, Adrian was raised for a time in California and currently lives a quiet life in Japan where he teaches English to smal
More about Adrian Howell...

PSIONIC Pentalogy (5 books)
  • The Tower (Psionic Pentalogy, #2)
  • Lesser Gods (Psionic Pentalogy, #3)
  • The Quest (Psionic Pentalogy, #4)
  • Guardian Angel (Psionic Pentalogy, #5)
The Tower (Psionic Pentalogy, #2) Lesser Gods (Psionic Pentalogy, #3) The Quest (Psionic Pentalogy, #4) Guardian Angel (Psionic Pentalogy, #5)