Start by marking “The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation” as Want to Read:
The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation

The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation

Foreword by Ron Jeffries & Afterword by Lyssa Adkins

Tobias Mayer has always brought both enthusiasm and skepticism to scrum. Whether you agree or disagree with him, and you're likely to do both, the essays in this book will always give you something worth thinking about.

Mike Cohn, author of Succeeding with Agile: Software Development using Scrum

Tobias Mayer’s signature
Published May 2nd 2012 by Dymaxicon

To ask other readers questions about The People's Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Scrum

Clean Code by Robert C. MartinThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesRefactoring by Martin FowlerThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt
Top 100 Agile Books
60th out of 135 books — 57 voters
Management 3.0 by Jurgen AppeloFlow by Mihaly CsikszentmihalyiDrive by Daniel H. PinkThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesAgile by André Faria Gomes
Agile Brazil 2013
62nd out of 68 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Peter
Jul 07, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing
This book touches the real heart of scrum and the values that lie beneath the surface of the framework. The truth that lies within that essays are things one felt when beginning the road to an agile implementation. It shows merciless some uncomfortable truths, which perhaps you did not realize yet. At the end you'll see where your path has lost the connection to the values and where the concentration back on the soul of scrum is needed.
Tobias Mayer
This is a collection of essays on the human aspects of Scrum—a software framework/process. I'm the author of this book, so will refrain from rating. Naturally, I recommend it :)
Olli Sorje
Jul 26, 2014 Olli Sorje rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading ideas of Tobias. This book really shakes you to think what agile and Scrum is all about. Must read for anyone working with any agile methods.
Maria Cerase
Aug 05, 2013 Maria Cerase rated it it was amazing
Eye opening
Eduardo Ferro
Sep 10, 2016 Eduardo Ferro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La lectura de este libro me ha resultado de lo más sorprendente. El libro está compuesto de una serie de ensayos cortos de Tobias Mayer complementados por anexos creados por Alan Cyment. Con este formato se ha generado una especie de diálogo entre los dos autores, Tobias, como el autor original de los ensayos y Alan (de cierta manera uno de sus discípulos), como coautor y traductor.

Para cada ensayo Alan amplia la idea original, la pone al día o aporta nuevas ideas y en algunos casos incluso la e
Ben Linders
Apr 27, 2014 Ben Linders rated it really liked it
The The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation by Tobias Mayer is a collection of essays based on material written by him between 2005 and 2012.

The essays describe agile ideas and practices, examples of the topics covered are self-organizing, team working, craftsmanship, technical debt, estimation, retrospectives, culture and Scrum adoption.

I did an interview with Tobias Mayer for InfoQ about the importance of people, teams and self organization with Scrum and about AgileLi
Craig
Sep 03, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it
I think this book is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here.

The book is made up of independent self contained stories and reflections on various themes related to the Agile Software Development movement. Each one is a parable seeking to impart some of Tobias' wisdom onto the reader.

Hopefully people will be open to the ideas. It isn't for beginners or for people who think agility is about technical excellence alone. It is about values and mindsets and the way we choose
Sebastian Gebski
Jun 06, 2013 Sebastian Gebski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it, sadly.

It's not a typical book - more like a collection of blog posts / short articles. Believe me, it's not the easiest way to write a good book - each post has to be able to "defend itself": be good enough to justify its presence in the book. It may work for Umberto Eco, but Mayer's articles are ... boring and not really revealing.

Was there anything I liked about this book?

Sure, Weinberg's quote (first rule of bad management) - "If something isn’t working, do more of it.”. And
Radu Davidescu
Apr 29, 2016 Radu Davidescu rated it it was amazing
Tobias presents Scrum in his way: plain, straight and emotional! If you want to read a bollocks free, sometimes uncomfortable book about Scrum, this is the book.

The book is excellent for both newcomers and experienced Scrum practitioners. It's a presentation of concepts and, in the same time an open debate with Scrum world.
Being and essay book, it can be read in Scrum style in short time-box cycles, with personal retrospective after each essay. I encourage you to read it this way.
The value added
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Oct 06, 2013 Henrik Berglund Berglund rated it it was amazing
Reading some previous reviews I was hoping to be provoked by this book, but to my surprise I was not. It seems we have similar views on what matters when it comes to workplaces and the future of work.

Five stars is since I'm glad he wrote it! I do not know of any "agile book" that gets right to the essence like this.

Naturally then, for me this is the best Scrum book so far.
Diogo Freire
Feb 12, 2015 Diogo Freire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile-stuff
Tobias' book is a great reference for questioning a few of your own beliefs and gain some perspective on how to "think agile". The prescriptive approach taken by so many is tiring, and this book helped me open my mind to being wrong, being adaptive, being comfortable when faced with uncertainty and, most of all, to just listen.
Silvia
May 21, 2015 Silvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agilidad
El libro de Tobías Mayer me dió algunas ideas para tener en cuenta al facilitar al equipo de desarrollo del que soy Scrum Master. Los anexos tendenciosos de Alan me parecieron, algunos buenos, otros no tanto. Sin embargo pensé que el libro iba a tratar sobre más experiencias del autor como Scrum Master.
Edward Dahllöf
Jul 25, 2016 Edward Dahllöf rated it it was ok
Shelves: agile
I had higher expectations of this book, it's a collection of Mr Mayers blog post from the last decade, some of it is interesting and so, but I thought a book with the name "The Peoples Scrum" would be more thoroughly worked through
Juanma
Nov 04, 2013 Juanma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
In only two simple words: inspiring and encouraging. This collection of articles and essays from Tobias will help you to continue in the fight for "agility" (my personal case) or to start your discovery of what scrum (and agile as a consequence) truly means.
Dave
Apr 19, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead I want to approach my work with an open heart, a beginner's mind and an anarchist's soul.
Pirkka
Sep 10, 2016 Pirkka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
A collection of blog posts - but they are top notch! If you have read Tobias Mayers blog, this might not be such a great book, but for me the material was all new and very exciting.
Flavius
Mar 17, 2016 Flavius rated it it was ok
Shelves: get, agile
Not my type of book. I abandoned it halfway through because it read suspiciously like a moralistic sermon.
Diego
Sep 23, 2013 Diego rated it liked it
Good enough. The author is bright and convincing. It is a collection of blog posts however, so the quality of the different articles varies significantly. Recommended reading.
Randy Herring
Randy Herring rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Eduard Kunce
Eduard Kunce rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2014
Tst
Tst rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Krzysztof
Krzysztof rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
André Heijstek
André Heijstek rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
José Monterroza ALvarez
José Monterroza ALvarez rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Cuellared
Buenas ideas pero parece m��s una opini�_n personal. M��s blog que libro.
T-bone
T-bone rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Luis Miguel Jiménez
Luis Miguel Jiménez rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
David Coutu
David Coutu rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Seth Richards
Seth Richards rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Sebastian Gnagnarella
Sebastian Gnagnarella rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Retrospective Handbook: A guide for agile teams
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
  • Training from the Back of the Room!: 65 Ways to Step Aside and Let Them Learn
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • The Elements of Scrum
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Commitment
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Doing scrum” is as meaningless (and impossible) as creating an instance of an abstract class. Scrum is a framework for surfacing organizational dysfunction. It is not a process and it is not prescriptive.” 1 likes
“Another way of looking at it might be to say that scrum doesn’t actually do anything; people do things.” 1 likes