Start by marking “Nobbut A Lad” as Want to Read:
Nobbut A Lad

Nobbut A Lad

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A Yorkshire Childhood
Published 2007 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nobbut A Lad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobbut A Lad

Clive Walker
A wonderfully warm, gentle, honest book. Titchmarsh has a gift for recounting the simple everyday things that defined an era. Memories of a Northern upbringing came flooding back. Brutally honest, he spills his soul generously so that we may easily recognize ourselves and understand that we are not alone.
Jan
May 07, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
A charming book, I really enjoyed it. Alan Titchmarsh is the gardener from shows like Ground Force (shown on HGTV) and has been a garden presenter on British TV shows since he was in his late teens. He's a very down to earth guy (no pun intended) and this is one of his memoirs - less of a true autobiography, more stories of being a child in a not so well-off North Yorkshire small town. It explains how he got into gardening - not a likely profession in his home town at that time.

By the way, Nobb
Nov 26, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is the 4th Titchmarsh book I've read, and I wasn't expecting more than a gently, pleasant read. But I was agreeably surprised. Reminiscences of Titchmarsh's childhood years in Ilkley on the Yorkshire moors, these are little stories put together in no particular order and containing nothing particularly extraordinary. No, what I most appreciated in "Nobbut a Lad" was the way he describes the little things around him, painting a realistic but charming picture of the fifties in the UK that con ...more
Karen
May 20, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
This 2nd book of memoirs is an interesting read but not as good as his first.
Janice
Mar 11, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it
wishing won't make it happen, but it would be oh so lovely to have a childhood like this

reading about growing up with Grandpa Hardisty in the beautiful landscape surrounding Ilkley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire, makes it almost real

"Church attendance at matins and evensong on a Sunday brought a kind of calming routine to the end of the week. Though we were always told that Sunday was the first day of the week, it seemed more like a sedate finale."

this is a classic childhoos memoir
Paul Knighton
Aug 06, 2015 Paul Knighton rated it it was amazing
A collection of short recollections of Alan Titchmarsh's childhood, particularly his contented years with family in their Yorkshire home. He writes modestly about his role, his experiences and their influence on his life as an adult.

He writes as an author who is shy, unassuming, honest and clearly reflective. The prose is easy to follow and enriched by many Yorkshire idioms of language, all for the better education of the reader :)
Teacherspet
Not an over inspiring story......could relate to some things but it shows that he got hos hoity toityness from his mother....she had ideas above her station.....Titchmarsh reckons hes proud of his yorkshire heritage so why does he hide it behind a "posh accent". Not the best autobiogrsphy by a long chalk.
Fluffychick
Apr 01, 2009 Fluffychick rated it really liked it
Enjoyable collection of tales from Titchmarsh's childhood, which was pleasant and made me smile. Reminded me of things people said or did in my own childhood (although I'm not as old as him! honest). genuine affection for the Yorkshire ways and turn of phrase.
Aaron Chynn
Oct 11, 2010 Aaron Chynn rated it it was amazing
I found that I could really identify with Alan as a lad - once I had picked this book up I found myself reading it at every opportunity until I finished it. Really enjoyable.
Julie
Apr 09, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Anyone born in the North of England will love this book and be able to relate to all of Alan's funny tales of his childhood. I loved it and it took me back!!
Gemma
May 22, 2013 Gemma rated it liked it
Nice recollections from childhood. A book where it is easy to read short fragments. Not a gripping read, but a warm one.
Dreamer
Jun 02, 2012 Dreamer rated it really liked it
A charming autobiography from a television gardener and talk show host.
Ian Anderson
Jun 03, 2013 Ian Anderson rated it liked it
Harder work than the fiction obviously, but the lad done good!
Rosemary Manthorpe
Sep 18, 2013 Rosemary Manthorpe rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read. Loving Alan Titchmarsh more than ever now.
Gillian
Jun 09, 2011 Gillian rated it really liked it
A good self-indulgent warm read. I enyoyed it .
Peggy Dyer
Jan 27, 2013 Peggy Dyer rated it it was amazing
A lovely gentle read from a lovely gentle man.
PSL9
May 20, 2012 PSL9 marked it as to-read
Riehle Reading Group May 2012
Ellie
Ellie is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2015
Carole Frost
Carole Frost rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Alan Price
Alan Price rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Dai Reading
Dai Reading rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Heleen
Heleen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Christine Muddiman
Christine Muddiman marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015