Start by marking “Nobbut A Lad” as Want to Read:
Nobbut A Lad

Nobbut A Lad

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A Yorkshire Childhood
Published 2007 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nobbut A Lad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobbut A Lad

Clive Walker
A wonderfully warm, gentle, honest book. Titchmarsh has a gift for recounting the simple everyday things that defined an era. Memories of a Northern upbringing came flooding back. Brutally honest, he spills his soul generously so that we may easily recognize ourselves and understand that we are not alone.
A charming book, I really enjoyed it. Alan Titchmarsh is the gardener from shows like Ground Force (shown on HGTV) and has been a garden presenter on British TV shows since he was in his late teens. He's a very down to earth guy (no pun intended) and this is one of his memoirs - less of a true autobiography, more stories of being a child in a not so well-off North Yorkshire small town. It explains how he got into gardening - not a likely profession in his home town at that time.

By the way, Nobb
This is the 4th Titchmarsh book I've read, and I wasn't expecting more than a gently, pleasant read. But I was agreeably surprised. Reminiscences of Titchmarsh's childhood years in Ilkley on the Yorkshire moors, these are little stories put together in no particular order and containing nothing particularly extraordinary. No, what I most appreciated in "Nobbut a Lad" was the way he describes the little things around him, painting a realistic but charming picture of the fifties in the UK that con ...more
This 2nd book of memoirs is an interesting read but not as good as his first.
wishing won't make it happen, but it would be oh so lovely to have a childhood like this

reading about growing up with Grandpa Hardisty in the beautiful landscape surrounding Ilkley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire, makes it almost real

"Church attendance at matins and evensong on a Sunday brought a kind of calming routine to the end of the week. Though we were always told that Sunday was the first day of the week, it seemed more like a sedate finale."

this is a classic childhoos memoir
Paul Knighton
A collection of short recollections of Alan Titchmarsh's childhood, particularly his contented years with family in their Yorkshire home. He writes modestly about his role, his experiences and their influence on his life as an adult.

He writes as an author who is shy, unassuming, honest and clearly reflective. The prose is easy to follow and enriched by many Yorkshire idioms of language, all for the better education of the reader :)
Not an over inspiring story......could relate to some things but it shows that he got hos hoity toityness from his mother....she had ideas above her station.....Titchmarsh reckons hes proud of his yorkshire heritage so why does he hide it behind a "posh accent". Not the best autobiogrsphy by a long chalk.
Enjoyable collection of tales from Titchmarsh's childhood, which was pleasant and made me smile. Reminded me of things people said or did in my own childhood (although I'm not as old as him! honest). genuine affection for the Yorkshire ways and turn of phrase.
Aaron Chynn
I found that I could really identify with Alan as a lad - once I had picked this book up I found myself reading it at every opportunity until I finished it. Really enjoyable.
Anyone born in the North of England will love this book and be able to relate to all of Alan's funny tales of his childhood. I loved it and it took me back!!
Nice recollections from childhood. A book where it is easy to read short fragments. Not a gripping read, but a warm one.
A charming autobiography from a television gardener and talk show host.
Ian Anderson
Harder work than the fiction obviously, but the lad done good!
Rosemary Manthorpe
A brilliant read. Loving Alan Titchmarsh more than ever now.
A good self-indulgent warm read. I enyoyed it .
Peggy Dyer
A lovely gentle read from a lovely gentle man.
May 20, 2012 PSL9 marked it as to-read
Riehle Reading Group May 2012
Heleen marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Douglas marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Christine Muddiman
Christine Muddiman marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Rilla Sigler
Rilla Sigler marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015