Start by marking “The Alecto Initiative (Loralynn Kennakris, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alecto Initiative (Loralynn Kennakris, #1)

The Alecto Initiative (Loralynn Kennakris #1)

Published May 18th 2013 by Pleiades Web Press (first published May 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Alecto Initiative, please sign up.

Owen O'Neill The genesis of this story is some work I did in the late 80s for the Office of Naval Intelligence, related to human trafficking. Originally, it was a…moreThe genesis of this story is some work I did in the late 80s for the Office of Naval Intelligence, related to human trafficking. Originally, it was a contemporary story, but for personal as well as professional reasons, I decided to it should be told as science fiction. The universe was created to suit the story I wanted to tell.

Thanks for asking the question!(less)

Christina McMullen
Jul 25, 2015 Christina McMullen rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I sat down with a classic, military sci-fi story, but diving into this one made me think it's time to pick up the genre again. The authors pull no punches. Right from the opening scene, we know that we're dealing with a main character with some major damage. The background we are given is brief, telling us only as much as we need to become invested. But if you're expecting a cookie cutter space opera, this isn't it. I'll admit I went into some of the scenes expecting a ...more
Charles Hash
Dec 21, 2015 Charles Hash rated it it was amazing
This book gave me exactly what I expected it to. Strong, detailed prose, combined with realistic and gritty characters, and displayed a strong understanding of the inner workings of the military, all of which is transposed into a grim and authentic world. It has a solid backbone constructed from classic structure. The dual authorship allows freedom to go places most cannot on their own, and helps to balance the world and characters between their emotions and the technical construction of the ...more
Fiannawolf
Oct 04, 2016 Fiannawolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn. I'm gonna read them all. *stuffs series nicely next to Weber's bricks of fun* Yes.
Coyora Dokusho
06/25/13

Reminiscent of authors: Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, David Weber, Mike Shepherd...

It was great! I can't wait for the next book!!! I liked all the characters, except for the villians, and want more, more more!!! Grrr, seriously... want. more... And what exactly did she do to that guy?!?! Ahhhhh! The agonies of starting a new series... I never learn XD

Originally 4-stars

12/7/14

In anticipation of a Brand. New. Book. coming out.... THE RE-READ!!! I loved it a lot more on the repeat, why? I
Dan
A good solid start on what promises to become a great series...
A.E. Hellstorm
Jul 31, 2015 A.E. Hellstorm rated it liked it
I read the ‘Alecto Initiative’ without having any expectations about it, since I didn’t really knew what to expect. Sci-fi is not the genre I go to as my first choice, and honestly, I can’t recall if I’ve read any sci-fi-related books since ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’.
“The Alecto Initiative’, however, did intrigue me since it was promoted as a novel based in a gritty reality with a strong female lead. I overall find it rare with strong female leads in these kinds of genres, so this bo
multitaskingmomma
Life's never easy out in the Methuselah Cluster, the most remote region humanity ever settled, but when her alcoholic father found her a 'job' while he went off-planet to look for work for a 'few months', 11-year-old Loralynn Kennakris began to learn just how ugly it could get. Within the year, her employers sold her to a brutal slaver captain, who took from her the last thing she owned: her name.

Most girls in Kris's position last a year or two. The strong ones might last four. Kris survived f
April Wilson
Aug 30, 2015 April Wilson rated it it was amazing
I just finished this scifi novel yesterday. I'm a romance reader/writer, so this book is sort of out of my genre. However, it was so well written - so compelling - I couldn't put it down. That's rare for me to be so invested in a book outside my normal genre.

I loved this book. While I was reading it, I felt like I was reading something special. It's hard for me to articulate my feelings... I think I felt like I was reading a blockbuster movie, if that makes sense.

Setting: the book takes place in
T.A.
Oct 17, 2015 T.A. rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5 stars (rounding up because I think the story deserves it)

I picked this book up for free as part of a promotional thing back in July and finally had time to start reading it this week. I finished in four days, despite being super busy with school and life in general. It was one of those stories that kept me up late at night saying, "One more chapter, then I'll go to sleep."

The story opens with the enslavement of young protagonist Kris, then flashes forward eight years to the day she
Richard Tongue
Jul 03, 2013 Richard Tongue rated it it was amazing
I've seen this book bouncing around the upper ends of the rankings for the last few days, and the description was appealing enough to convince me to buy it. I'll get the technical side of the review out of the way quickly; the formatting was fine, no problems at all that I could see, and certainly no typos or errors made themselves apparent when I was reading, so a good, professional book. (I suppose at this point I should clarify that I read the Kindle copy; I presume the paperback version is ...more
Y. Correa
Jul 11, 2013 Y. Correa rated it it was ok
I'd like to start off by saying that I am AN ENORMOUS Indie Author Supporter. “Go Indie Authors!!” all the way... usually!

But I'm saddened to say that in this particular predicament, I can not give a “gung-ho” review.

I was given this book as part of a giveaway. I was excited at first as I love those sorts of things and much, much more when it's from an Indie author. So, I was reveled in enthusiasm.

As soon as I received the book, I immediately started reading it. Almost instantly I was hooked. Th
K. Kidd
Jun 24, 2015 K. Kidd rated it it was amazing
What does it take to inspire a Romance Reader/Writer to defect to reading Sci Fi? I never had any plans. That is until I discovered The Alecto Initiative (Book 1 in the Loralynn Kennakris series). This book is a well-written, intelligent, science fiction story with a strong female lead that completely captures your attention.

I heard about the infamous totally-techie-talk Chapter 6 in the book…but only after I breezed past it. Happy to say it only strengthened my resolve to crash through that wor
Robert Zwilling
Sep 01, 2015 Robert Zwilling rated it it was amazing
A highly entertaining action and adventure story with realistic character interaction that is skillfully woven into a futuristic space setting.
Andrew
Apr 17, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
The Alecto Initiative (Loralynn Kennakris book 1) by Hunter, Jordan Leah; O’Neill, Owen R.

I was concerned with the initial slave trade element - quite brutally graphic - which finds a balanced remedy as the story unfolds and sets the stage with atrocities which need to be dealt with. It almost demands gratifying retribution against the ‘Slavers’ scourge and you know it’s coming.

I like this aspect of the egalitarian society within this world:
[Senior Lieutenant Huron] “. . . and somebody will go
Tony Hisgett
Sep 14, 2016 Tony Hisgett rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This story started well and had me hooked very early, I love Kris, she is my type of heroine, slightly damaged but still highly capable. I like the way the story developed and was especially pleased it didn’t dwell on her abuse as a child.

However there were quite a few problems with the book. Towards the latter half of the book the story started to lose its way and became a little confusing and a bit boring.
Also at times there is too much detail and scientific explanation, its always nice to ha
Diane
Aug 22, 2016 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent writing and plot w/some original elements, grade B- proofreading

The lead character is pretty well developed, though I'll have to see how the authors deal with her repressed memories in later volumes -- especially the way no one has told her a pretty important traumatic fact that's somewhat common knowledge. That's just asking for trouble depending on how/when/from whom she finds out! There's a fair amount of "adult" language, but considering we're talking about (a) someone raised among sl
Kat
Jun 05, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
I see quite a bit of potential in the character and universe, but the book sometimes felt choppy. According to the back-blurb, the next book should be out soon; I'd read it it has the same price point ($4)(EDIT - Um, $2.99, actually)

EDIT: Posted the first part on my cell, which is why it was so brief. I'd like to state that the choppiness I noted really worked for a friend of mine who read the book based on my rec. And actually, it isn't a consistent distraction, only something I occasionally no
S.J. Higgins
Feb 11, 2016 S.J. Higgins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loralynn Kennakris or Kris as she affectionately becomes known is rescued from a slaver ship where she was enslaved for eight years as the captain of the ship’s main slave. This position found Kris doing anything and everything in order to survive the years in captivity.

Her grit and tenacity is to be admired and victim is not a word I would use to describe Kris. With the help of Lieutenant Huron, she makes a life for herself after her release.
A strong bond is formed with Mariwen who was also r
Dec 27, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An interesting story with an interesting protagonist. There were a few points in the book that I felt dragged on a little, particularly with the hard sci fi bits. But there were also points that I thought could have benefitted from further development. There seems to be a fairly large setting for the story but in this first book the reader only really gets a narrow look at it. I would have liked a more extended read as far as what was the norm outside a Slaver ship, to what extent the military ...more
Cynthia Spada
Dec 27, 2013 Cynthia Spada rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The main character, Loralynn Kennakris, is strong, fierce, and fascinating. A sex slave recently freed, Kris may be a genius space pilot, but the military does not seem to trust her, and as a reader, I know that there is a lot simmering beneath her gorgeous surface. After reading The Alecto Initiative, I cannot wait to read the next book in this series to learn more about Kris’ strengths and fragilities. While I do not normally read science fiction novels, this book transcends ...more
Kjirstin
A fun read. We follow our heroine, Loralynn Kennakris (aka 'Kris') from her neglected childhood, through being employed as child labor, to being sold into slavery... and eventually rescued! Most of the story is about her adjustment to "real life" after her rescue, and the series of events that suggest she might not have left the plots of the slavers entirely behind her...

The action was gripping and the eventual resolution surprised me (in a good way!). I'm looking forward to reading about how th
John
Nov 03, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
It is solid book with something which makes it 5* for me. Probably won't feel like it for most people but a couldn't stop reading.
I opened it at 11PM to read first few pages and no more before sleep. It is 3.30AM in the morning now and I finished it few minutes ago. The impression was strong enough for me to get up from bed and write the review right now. Quite extreme reaction considering I get up at 7AM for work.
John
Dec 14, 2014 John rated it liked it
Like the other reviewer found here Y. Correa's Review

I found the end of chapter 5 and the next few chapters hard to understand, here was someone who had underwent a dramatic ordeal who suddenly acted entirely out of character.

The book was good if you get over that blip, and future installments will be worth reading.
Jay
May 31, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, ebooks
The story flowed seamlessly around several themes, with the lead character, Kris, becoming thoroughly frustrated at the pace set for her.

Rescued from a Slaver ship she struggles to adjust to 'Normal/Civilian' life with the help of Senior Lieutenant Huron, a man who knows a gift or talent when he sees it.

A good Naval/Sci Fi Military read splashed liberally with politics and suspense.
Sam Gilbert
The military jargon is confusing but I can follow the plot well enough. It's a good thing I like space opera, though. The military jargon would not be so confusing if the authors didn't insist on using abbreviations at every opportunity.
Ilona
Jun 13, 2013 Ilona rated it it was amazing
To paraphrase the last paragraph of the blurb: This is an extraordinary story about a courageous heroine! She had me rooting for her to succeed from page one. This is the first in a new series and I look forward to reading many more books about Loralynn Kennakris and the universe she lives in.
Mein Hime
Oct 26, 2013 Mein Hime rated it really liked it
Quick summary: interesting premise, well crafted characters though I spotted the twist coming. Loses a point for excessive space jargon and tech-fap which could have been trimmed considerably without harming the plot. I'm looking forward to part 2 despite this rather serious flaw.
Ariel Stirling
Jun 23, 2013 Ariel Stirling rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, for a first novel it was very well done. It could have been smoother in places, but all in all it was definitely worth reading and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Myz
Myz rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Support for Indie...: The Alecto Initiative 13 73 Aug 01, 2015 03:52PM
  • Temporary Duty
  • Vengeance from Ashes (Honor and Duty, #1)
  • Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • The Outcast (The Empire's Corps, #5)
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • Castle Vroman (A Galaxy Unknown #6)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Just Determination (JAG in Space, #1)
  • Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)
Owen R. O’Neil is a physicist, a writer, an amateur historian and the descendant of a long line of engineers. After three years working for the US Navy as a missile systems engineer, he became a member of the intelligence community and spent the rest of his career there. One of the last generation of Cold Warriors, he worked on topics as diverse as satellites, telecommunications, infrared ...more
More about Owen R. O'Neill...

Loralynn Kennakris (3 books)
  • The Morning Which Breaks (Loralynn Kennakris, #2)
  • Asylum (Loralynn Kennakris #3)