Start by marking “The Age of the Image: Redefining Literacy in a World of Screens” as Want to Read:
The Age of the Image: Redefining Literacy in a World of Screens

The Age of the Image: Redefining Literacy in a World of Screens

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
An urgent, erudite, and practical book that redefines literacy to embrace how we think and communicate now

We live in a world that is awash in visual storytelling. The recent technological revolutions in video recording, editing, and distribution are more akin to the development of movable type than any other such revolution in the last five hundred years. And yet we are no
Published April 8th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Age of the Image, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of the Image

Chris
Jan 30, 2016 Chris added it
The first half of this book was disappointing. The author uses numerous examples throughout history to prove that images are a powerful as the written word and, therfore, need to be included in the idea of "literacy". There's interesting bits of science and biology and "mirror" neurons that show the viewed "film" can create companion feelings in the viewer.
I found it disappointing because most of this I was already aware of. It's all, blah, blah, blah, cave paintings, blahblahblah, people exper
Jessica Plante
Jul 02, 2014 Jessica Plante rated it it was ok
Not terribly impressed. It's an important concept and he makes a lot of good points... but I'm not convinced that we need to formally teach literacy of the image to the same extent that we teach how to digest written texts since so much of visual media is intuitive. How to make videos and dissect their presentation is certainly important in our day and age, but I think he goes too far-- the written word is timeless and will certainly not be replaced by visual media.
Roderick Mcgillis
Dec 03, 2014 Roderick Mcgillis rated it liked it
Maybe a star too many. The argument is: literacy in the twenty-first century crucially involves visual literacy. This is not surprising to hear. We get a brief overview of technology's impact on social and political change. What is less convincing is the suggestion that the means to visual expression are democratic in that everyone has access to the mans of visual communication. Nevertheless, Apkon is right to emphasis the importance of teaching visual literacy. And his book offers a very brief, ...more
Daniel Carson
Jan 11, 2015 Daniel Carson rated it liked it
The main focus of the book is an urgent one, but by 2/3 of the way through the book, one gets the impression that he ran out of things to say after the first third.
Carina
Amazing book talking about how our society has adopted visual works into our own literacy. Has great examples, talks about some of the biology and psychology behind it. Highly recommended.
Anna Dickson
Decent read

I could have done without the instructional chapter on making films, however the argument that visuals are changing our world and we need to teach visual literacy is on point.
Sam Baber
May 04, 2015 Sam Baber rated it really liked it
for anyone who desires a crash course in how we read or misread visuals in film and other media, this is a great text
Ty Martinez
Ty Martinez marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
 Barney
Barney is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
Lilian Galante
Lilian Galante is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2016
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Shvaugn Craig
Shvaugn Craig marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Gian Luigi
Gian Luigi marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Filippo
Filippo rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Danielle Shelley
Danielle Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 22, 2016
Dayna S Rubin
Dayna S Rubin rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Thomas Schubert
Thomas Schubert rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Destiny Deleon
Destiny Deleon marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jennifer Goen
Jennifer Goen marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Pablo Corbett
Pablo Corbett is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Nico
Nico rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Vicente Sarmento
Vicente Sarmento marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Vanissa
Vanissa rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Chris Desimone
Chris Desimone rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Katherine Maley
Katherine Maley marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen Apkon is the Founder and Executive Director of The Jacob Burns Film Center, a non-profit film and education organization located in Pleasantville, N.Y. The JBFC presents a wide array of documentary, independent, and foreign film programs in a three theater state-of-the-art film complex, and has developed educational programs focused on 21st century literacy. Under Steve’s leadership, the J ...more
More about Stephen Apkon...