Start by marking “Something to Remember You By: A Perilous Romance” as Want to Read:
Something to Remember You By: A Perilous Romance

Something to Remember You By: A Perilous Romance

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Romantic, dramatic fiction set during World War II by the actor and author of Kiss Me Like a Stranger and My French Whore
Something to Remember You By begins during the siege of Bastogne, Belgium on Christmas Day, 1944. In a foxhole where he is caring for five American soldiers, innocent but clever young medic Corporal Tom Cole is injured. Convalescing in wartime London, wi
Published April 22nd 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Something to Remember You By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something to Remember You By

The plot was great however to me the writing (which consisted of mostly dialogue), was simple. And as others have said, "choppy." Any middle schooler could have written something similar. Or even better. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the amounts of description that authors use however, as this book had practically none (hence was only 163 pages), I see that description is what I crave and is most necessary. I'm giving the 2 stars instead of 1 merely because I liked the plot.
I remember when I first listened to and enjoyed an unabridged audiobook presentation of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. It was 45 hours long. It was not at all too long, and was a wonderful book! My other option at the time for listening to this book would have been an abridged 2.5 hour version. What the heck would the story be like if you trimmed more than 90% of it?? Well, I think if you transcribed it on to a book of its own, the pacing and structure might very much resemble Gene Wilder's b ...more
Gene Wilder creates a love story filled with bravado and mystery. Everything falls into place for our hero, but wouldn't it be something if our hero loses the love of his life on the way to learning a painful life lesson? Such endings are not pursued by writers who are infatuated with building up the hero and forcing him to succeed against all odds. Prepare yourself for the A-Team meets Inglorious Bastards.
Michelle Wilson
Something to Remember You by is absolutely wonderful. Gene Wilder takes a look at a devastating period of time and transforms it into a beautiful Romance! I am quite impressed. Never before have I read such a continuously heart wrenching book about the time of Hitlers reign. From the beginning to the end this book draws your attention gracefully from page one. I would definitely recommend this book!
Very charming little book. Well written and smart. It would make a nice film. I can imagine Mr. Wilder in it, playing the hero. I liked it very much. Witty and sweet.
Darren Ashley
SOMETHING TO REMEMBER YOU BY Lt. Tom Cole gets injured while fighting at war and his corporal gives him a week off during which he meets Anna in a local cafe where they enjoy dinner together, get passionate afterwards in Anna's apartment planning to meet at the cafe the following day. But the next day he does not find her at the cafe and spends time trying to figure out her whereabouts. The story tells of Tom's time at war and how he wonders if he'll ever see the woman he has fallen in love with ...more
Julia Coty
This certainly isn't the best written book, but if you're a Gene Wilder fan, you'll get some enjoyment out of it. The storyline is a very stereotypical WWII love story; it feels as if it's written in a way to reflect an old black and white film. The writing is rather dry and cookie cutter. I wasn't head-over-heels for this one, but I don't think Wilder intended it to be a masterpiece. What I did enjoy about it is that Wilder's acting style is evident in it's content. I could've seen him playing ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
I didn't know Willy Wonka wrote books! Easy, fast read with a plot similar to other World War II stories about a young soldier named Tom about to meet the love of his life before being caught up in the perils of the conflict that would become "The Good War".
Tom starts out like any other humble American soldier serving his country but ends up a little too good to be true by the last page. There's the old cliché of bedding the love interest only to have her disappear the next day. During the sear
What a funny little novel this is. I am a huge fan of Gene Wilder and this definitely reads like the sort of thing the guy behind the screenplay for one of the greatest comedies in film history (Young Frankenstein) would write, but it has a twisted, broken darkness ribboned through it that at times almost made me think I was in the middle of a David Lynch fantasy.

"Something To Remember You By" is indeed "A perilous romance." Corporal Tom Cole, a heroic medic recently reassigned to special forces
Melissa A Comer
While not a particular fan of this writer's film work, I was curious about his writing--did not realize that this was his fourth or fifth book. This is a novella about wartime activity in Europe
in 1944. Seems simplistic, not much room for description--a short story about a romance in precarious times. I was not very interested in how it would end!
TheIron Paw
Do I really have to give it one star - pity negatives aren't allowed here. The only saving grace for this book is that it is short. There is not character development, no feeling for the setting or the times (perhaps as a playwrite Wilder hoped the director would provide these). The plot is something a 10 year old boy would be ashamed of: really, an enlisted medic is injured and then promoted to an officer, given a couple of weeks training as a spy and then leads 2 rescue missions into France - ...more
Megan Burnett
Gene Wilder is an actor, and it shows in his writing. This little novel reads very much like a script, and though it is still a decent and entertaining read, I found it difficult to connect with the characters. It felt like Wilder left a lot of the introduction and development of the characters in his head, rather than on the page, and it made it difficult to connect and care for them. All in all, I'm glad I tried it out, especially as it's set in WWII, but I have to admit I couldn't force mysel ...more
Mary Kay
Gene should have employed a better editor. In just one example, a guy who was 25 in 1943 could not have had a father who left Germany because of Hilter's rise to power.
Marissa Morrison
The story is compelling, but the storytelling lacks artistry. This is basically a movie script with an occasional he said inserted.
Ivy Courtney
very simple story, something a grade school student could write. overall didn't seem very romantic.
William Dickerson
When I had heard that Gene Wilder had moved into writing novels, I had to check out one of his books. I can picture Gene working through the story and the look of delight with the twists and turns he was adding.

"Something to Remember You By" is a delightful story about a romance that buds from a chance encounter during the second World War. The characters are a genuine fit for the era, and it is worth the time to read. (It's a quick read too.)
Faith Piskor
This book was a quick read but chock full of twists and turns. It was a bit choppy but that was due to the fast-paced nature of the story. The dialogue was era-appropriate which was nice and gave the story a vintage feel (as it should have since it is set during WWII). Definitely would recommend as a novelette for someone who is really into love stories without all the "love" of a romance and more of the deep-seated sentiment.
Amy Livingston
Quick read. Simple story, not fantastic, but it kept my attention. I caution writers of period pieces to be careful with the language they use. I found myself ripped from the time period when a 1968-origination word (workaholic) popped up in a 1940's conversation. Some better proofreading/editing is also recommended, as there are several double words to be found; two on the same page (added added, and how how). Overall, it was a nice little book that only took a few hours to read, and I'm glad I ...more
Jeanne Blandford
You can always hear Gene in his characters. In their lines, in their sentiments. Knowing you as I do, I feel the honest love and care you put into your characters. It was a lovely Christmas Day read!
Joy H.
Added 6/7/15. (First published April 2nd 2013)
(Found via Goodreads when searching for books by Gene Wilder)
Katie Berning
Gene Wilder writes these wonderful little books that are so simple and succinct and yet so full. They really are a treat. And this being the third that I have read, I like the little surprise of certain little items that he carried through from the other books even though they are not a series. He really does an amazing job.
Jennifer Golden
Apr 13, 2013 Jennifer Golden marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was good and I almost just pushed my way through but to me the writing was choppy and it did not flow at all. I read about 1/3 of the book and just couldn't read any more. I loved the other books he has written and was excited when I saw this was out but it was quite disappointing.
Audrey Henning
I sort of enjoyed this book. It was choppy like other reviewers said, but that's to be expected with such a short book. It's a nice book to read in one sitting, but it's not something to read if you're looking for a story that's descriptive and mind blowing.
Allison Free
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was similar to many WWII historical fiction books with romance tied in, which I love. The writing seemed awkward at times, which I think was due to the choppy sentences, but overall this book was really good!
I enjoyed this book but I wanted more. I ended up finishing it in one sitting. Still, the characters were good and the story was very sweet. It was one of those books that gave me the satisfaction of a good romance without all the wait.
A good quick read. If you like WWII novels you'll like this one. Other than some swearing, including several uses of the F-word, it was an enjoyable read. It holds your interest from beginning to end. I couldn't put it down.
Found this quite by accident at the library..turned out to be a fun little love story
set during WWII. Surprise author is Gene Wilder. Really just a novella, sweet, romantic
with just a bit of drama.
A World War II story of love and bravery which would have been much better in the hands of a more experienced writer. But it is written with a sweetness and naivety that is refreshing in it's own way.
Short sweet book about the lives of two people that met during the war and what one of them would do to be with the other. Love story with a lot of sadness poured in.
Who knew Gene Wilder was so sensitive? Although all 3 of his books that I've read are very similar to each other. It's worth it to read one though.
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • Fangs Out (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #2)
  • The House of Redgrave: The Lives of a Theatrical Dynasty
  • Alias Declassified: The Official Companion Guide
  • The Avenue Goes to War (The Avenue, #2)
  • Manhattan
  • Casablanca: Script and Legend
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.
  • Six Feet Under: Better Living Through Death
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • The Secret Journal of Ichabod Crane
  • An Heiress For All Seasons (The Debutante Files, #1.5)
  • Dorinda and the Doctor (The Duke's Men, #2.5)
  • Beware This Boy (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #2)
  • Once Upon a Highland Summer
  • Echoes of Titanic
  • Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #1)
  • The Mitten: An Old Ukrainian Folktale
Gene Wilder is an American Emmy Award-winning and twice Academy Award-nominated stage and screen actor, director and screenwriter.

Wilder began his career on stage, making his screen debut in the film Bonnie and Clyde in 1967. His first major role was as Leo Bloom in the 1968 film, The Producers. This was the first in a series of prolific collaborations with writer/director Mel Brooks, including 19
More about Gene Wilder...