Start by marking “Ship It Holla Ballas!: How a Bunch of 19-Year-Old College Dropouts Used the Internet to Become Poker's Loudest, Craziest, and Richest Crew” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  28 reviews
To be a kid in 2006 meant growing up with the Internet. A group of smart, resourceful teens used it to master the game of poker. Taking advantage of online poker's lightning-fast pace and lackluster efforts at age verification, they earned, in just a few months, the kind of professional gambling experience that used to take a lifetime.

The Ship It Holla Ballas were the most
Published April 15th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ship It Holla Ballas!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ship It Holla Ballas!

Rob Slaven
As usual I received this book from GoodReads as part of a giveaway. Also as usual, despite the very kind and generous consideration of getting a free book, I give my candid opinions below.

The subtitle really sums it up pretty nicely. A group of kids from different parts of the country get hooked on online poker, do nothing but play all day for years and make a ton of money doing it. They live decadent lifestyles, learn some key life lessons (or don't) and finally end up happy (or not). Think bil
Aviv
This book was absolutely awesome! It was so well written, fast paced and crazy that I completely forgot that I was reading a book of non-fiction. Completely nuts! I would most definitely recommend reading this book!
Daniel
Basically, this one is The Dirt: Confessions Of The World's Most Notorious Rock Band, only instead of being about rock stars, it's about poker stars. It's fine as far as it goes, but nothing special.

Having spent years playing, I already knew a lot of these stories and basically all of these players, but I can see the appeal to a certain sleazy glance into what happens when people who are very young suddenly find themselves making absurd amounts of money.

The book never really does the job it sets
Daniel
Ship It Holla Ballas is a fun, but hardly relatable book. A group of college students get hooked into online poker, and learn important life lessons throughout their money-making journey. The novel represents the simple message that you should do what you have most desire of doing, which is represented by the main characters actions.

In my opinion, the book can be read with minimal interest in poker, since it is all about the protagonist's money-making strategies and luck. The characters spend t
Robert
Mildly entertaining account of a group of extremely successful poker players. Don't expect any insight into why they've enjoyed such success, though. Nor is there any self-reflection by the players themselves on how lucky they've been. I'm not suggesting poker is entirely a game of luck -- it certainly contains an element of skill. But when you rapidly go from a tiny bankroll to millionaire, it's predominantly because of a horseshoe up the rear. Overall, this book is more of a literary "Life Sty ...more
Richard Magahiz
Sep 20, 2013 Richard Magahiz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in celebrity culture
Luck delivered this paperback into my hands when I won a giveaway on Twitter; it was not one I normally would have pulled off the shelf. It's a book you can read with virtually no poker knowledge at all, just substituting "extreme good luck" and "extreme bad luck" at appropriate points. Mainly I kept with the reading as a sort of reference to a set of characters I know I wouldn't meet in person if I were given a thousand years, because the kinds of things that motivate them never matched those t ...more
Mike
They lived the life everyone wants to lead. Some are still living it.

In Ben Mezrich fashion, co-authors Jonathan Grotenstein and Storms Reback chronicle the mid-2000s lives of a bunch of young online poker players who share info through an online poker forum called Two Plus Two (of which I'm a member but missed out on these stories) and storm the poker world, making millions. They live it up like a bunch of young, rich dudes will -- dumping the winnings into strippers, cars, Dom Perignon, and an
Jeff
I really enjoyed this book about the true story of a group of college kids who drop out to pursue the riches, rewards, and pitfalls of the online poke craze of the early 2000's.

The kids earn more in a few hands sitting behind a laptop than some people do in a lifetime. Although, there are stories out there about the true stories of players exploiting the game this is not one of them. This is a bunch of college age kids who, too young to play in live tournaments, are able to play online using mu
Bill Mackela
This the true story of a few teenagers who are used to playing video games on their computers. These guys are able to convert that experience, along with their knowledge of how to get the most out of the internet into a ton of cash. This is a story of what they did, not a "How to Win at Online Poker" book. The book is about their lives as they found out that they could win a lot of money playing Texas Hold'em on the various online poker web sites. They got together in online forums and discovere ...more
Miriam Downey
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

The obscure title Ship It Holla Ballas turns out to be the name of a group of online poker players. The subtitle says it all: “How a bunch of 19-year-old college dropouts used the Internet to become poker’s loudest, craziest, and richest crew.”

I have to admit at the outset I know nothing about poker, so I was a bit amused when I was sent this book from the publisher. However, I do know something about 19-year-olds, and their part
Emi Bevacqua
I actually dated an unemployed, multi-tabling, 2+2posting, 20-something, online poker player who subjected me to hours upon hours of waiting table-side at casinos in Reno, Vegas, Niagara Falls, Missouri Riverboat, etc not to mention the watching of forevermany hours of televised poker play; so I have a rudimentary understanding of the subject matter, and I have to say this is the funniest non-fiction poker book I ever read!

These 19-year old Hundredthousandaires made me cringe, with their disres
Lynn
Ship It Holla Ballas is a group of young men around 2006 - 2008 who dominated the world of poker through the internet. They were computer geeks from the US and Canada among other places who figured out algorithms and had strength in probability to figure out how to win online. The men forsook their families, college and other parts of their life to play poker, often to move to Las Vegas to play in the big games. At the time, three large companies ran most the online poker games and from overseas ...more
Christopher
This is a fantastic, quick read that couldn't have been more fun for someone who spent most every waking moment from 2003 to 2006 thinking about cards. It's a sort of pop-anthropology of a brief era in the gambling world and gaming culture that will never be replicated, when a bunch of insanely talented teenagers got fantastically wealthy by becoming very good cardplayers at exactly the right moment.

I picked this up the night before a day I knew would be filled with standing around and killing t
Bryan
I haven’t read anything by Tucker Max, but I can imagine that there’s a little thematic overlap between this book and the Tucker Max oeuvre. I enjoyed the hell out of this book, though, because however much Tucker Max there is in this story about young, wealthy poker players indulging alcohol, pot, strippers, and various acts of obnoxiousness, there’s also a lot of Michael Lewis.

Like the baseball nerds of Lewis’ Moneyball, or the finance professionals of his The Big Short, the (very) young prota
 wade
If I was more of a person interested in the gambling world I would probably give this book five stars. The book tells the story of a group of under twenty men who strike it rich by playing internet poker before it is banned in the United States. For me, it was more a fascinating story of how young people think they are invincible. The guys become wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and the book tells of how their lives change for better or worse. Some of them are still players in the Las Vegas g ...more
Eddy
It was okay. Good background story of an amazing poker crew.

On finishing this book I felt like something was lacking, like I was waiting for some great piece of wisdom or insight to be bestowed upon me but it didn't come. It also didn't really talk about how today the playing field has been levelled and how much more difficult it is to make it on the poker circuit.

I would have liked to know more about what the new 'crews' are up to, how they're making their money, and what makes them the equival
Jered Johnston
Interesting but not surprising

the book was interesting and extremely easy to read. not sure someone with no interest in poker would enjoy the book, but I found it very entertaining.

that being said the stories told are not that surprising, and the book comes to an obvious and abrupt ending, closing with black Friday.

recommended to any card player
Jay
The screennames were different, the experiences different, but it was the same wild ride for all of us. So much nostalgia revisiting the past through the coming of age story of kids I grew up with during the online poker boom. What a unique and amazing journey winning and losing enormous sums of money on the Internet.
"Whether you believe they're brilliant young minds who braved uncharted waters to make their wildest fantasies come true or arrogant little pricks who got beaned in the head by goo
Paul Carr
As fast-paced and enjoyable as the financial rise of the book's young protagonists, vacillating between pensive and vacuous.
Scott
A quick read, somewhat fun and interesting. I found it hard to connect with any players involved with the stories. Could be just a bit of envy keeping me from investing. I have been on a bit of a poker strategy book bend as of late, so SIHB was a nice break from sample hand problems, and M vs Q scenarios.
Cyberpope
Wild! Interesting tales from a bunch of college dropouts who became rich playing poker online before they were legally old enough to play in Vegas; at 18 & 19 they lived a rock star lifestyle, with limos, Cristal, & strippers. . .

Big surprise: Tom "Durrrr" Dwan started with them, & was once a Holla Balla, too!
David Bond
I could not put this down, a truly inspiring and interesting story. This book fired me back up into poker, I actually got so fired up to play from the inspiration I had a $2k upswing the two weeks while reading it.

Ha, thanks BRO
Lain
Interesting from a cultural/sociological perspective. The nicknames drove me nuts, plus the moral bankruptcy. Liked seeing some redemption at the end.
Shawn
Probably most interesting to those who lurked or posted to 2p2 back in the day through Black Friday. Third person narrative was a bit taxing by the end.
Jon Power
Quick read. Nothing complicated just a fun recap of young kids making millions in online poker in the early 2000s. Pretty fun book
Jonottawa
This book is ridiculously underrated. The writing is wonderful. The story is engaging. I read this straight through.
Maren Crowley
Didn't finish the last 30 pages... Story started out interesting but became very redundant..
Michael Keresztes
Fun read... If you like poker at all, you will enjoy this book.
Reads really fast.
Teal Allen
Teal Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • The Mental Game of Poker
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure into the Heart of a Gambling Country
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • Straight Flush: The True Story of Six College Friends Who Dealt Their Way to a Billion-Dollar Online Poker Empire--and How It All Came Crashing Down . . .
  • How to Play No-Limit Hold 'em Cash Games (Harrington on Cash Games, Vol. 1)
  • Cowboys Full: The Story of Poker
  • Private Rights and Public Problems: The Global Economics of Intellectual Property in the 21st Century
  • Full Upright and Locked Position: The Insider's Guide to Air Travel
  • Big Deal: One Year as a Professional Poker Player
  • Molly's Game: From Hollywood's Elite to Wall Street's Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Baby Be Kind
  • Check-raising the Devil
  • Blood Aces: The Wild Ride of Benny Binion, the Texas Gangster Who Created Vegas Poker
  • Adam Copeland on Edge
All In: The (Almost) Entirely True Story of the World Series of Poker The Todd Glass Situation: A Bunch of Lies about My Personal Life and a Bunch of True Stories about My 30-Year Career in Stand-Up Comedy Poker: The Real Deal 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method The Sportsman