Start by marking “Murder in the Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Afternoon

Murder in the Afternoon (Kate Shackleton #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  33 reviews
An intricate plot in the post-WWI English countryside and Frances Brody's "refreshingly complex heroine" (Kirkus) combine in Murder in the Afternoon, an absorbing mystery.

Dead one minute…

Young Harriet and her brother Austin have always been scared of the quarry where their stone mason father works. So when they find him dead on the cold ground, they rush off quickly to loo
Published February 11th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Afternoon

Rebecca
Kate Shackleton is a WWI widow who has set herself up as an investigator near Leeds. One morning, very early, she is wakened by a woman named Mary Jane desperate for her help in finding her missing husband. Her husband was working at their local quarry, but when their children went to bring him dinner, ten-year-old Harriet found him dead. She went to the nearest farm to report, but by the time anyone arrived, the body was gone and no one but her mother believed her. Mary Jane seems vaguely famil ...more
Damaskcat
Kate Shackleton is woken early one morning by a young woman who claims to be her sister. Mary Jane Armstrong's husband, Ethan has disappeared and the police are not taking the matter seriously as they believe he has left her. Kate is dubious about Mary Jane but when she goes to her home and meets her young daughter, Harriet, who is the spitting image of Kate at that age she is convinced.

Curiosity soon drags Kate into the case and she is convinced that Harriet saw her father dead when she went to
J
Found this on the shelves of the library and it ticked a lot of my interest boxes: Modern English author, detective story set in England post-WWI. The first half of the book was excessively dry and boring. I felt lost because almost no background or description was provided on the main character. I just assumed she was an old Miss Marple type, but discovered over 100pgs into the book that she was youngish. This is book #3 in the series and apparently you have to read the series from book #1.

The
Grey853
Kathleen
The third book in a series about Kate Shackleton, a private investigator emerging in post WWI England, introduced me to a protagonist, different from Maisie Dobbs and others we have met in the last ten years, yet still struggling with the same prejudices about class and women. This mystery also serves as a platform for the political and social issues that simmered in England at the time, men frustrated after returning from their sacrifices during the war only to find poor wages and working condi ...more
Nancy
Given the comparative improvement in this volume, I guess I have to push this to a 3.5 in its genre.

More focused than the other books, other POVs balanced and did not interfere with the story, fewer plot digressions. There are still 3 main issues (including the murder) that Kate is dealing with but they fit together and did not distract. Maybe a bit swiftly wrapped up/solved at the end, but all-in-all a decent read. I will say that Marcus is not growing on me, his characterization is either weak
April
Enjoyable mystery in the Kate Shackleton series. In this one, her long-lost birth sister, 1 of 10, emerges (Kate was adopted)and asks Kate to help her find her husband, a quarry stonemason who dabbles in labor unions. Her little girl (Kate's niece) claims to have seen her father dead in the quarry before his body disappeared. Was it labor union politics gone bad? Or is Kate's sister hiding something much more sinister than their long-lost connection? Kate unravels the mystery with typical nerve ...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Murder in the Afternoon’ by Frances Brody
Published by Piatkus, 1st March 2012: ISBN: 978-0-7499-5487-1

Kate Shackleton is called to help locate a missing stone mason. His wife Mary Jane Armstrong is adamant that Kate can help her, and in the face of such belief Kate agrees to accompany the woman back to her home in Great Applewick.

The story Kate pieces together is, that Mary Jane’s children Harriet and Austin had gone to the quarry where their father worked to bring him lunch, and that the daug
Barbara
Frances Brody's mystery series is getting better. In this book, the part time detective Kate Shakleton pursues the disappearance/death of a stone mason, Ethan Armstong, who was found by his daughter unresponsive at a stone quarry, and then he/the body disappeared. The plot is made more interesting by the appearance of Kte's biological sister, or is she? And to top it all, her sister is also Ethan's wife/widow. It's a good fun plot!
Rita	 Marie
I stumbled into the middle of this series, because my library considers a book published three years ago to be "new." Oh, well.

But a great find. The sense of time and place is excellent, plot nicely puzzling right up to the end, and engaging characters too.

Library has the two earlier books; heaven knows when they will get anything more recent than 2011.

Mayda
Kate is in for some surprises of a personal nature in this third installment in this series. Working a missing person case that may indeed turn into a murder investigation, Kate could be in danger herself. Set in the years following The Great War, this novel is rich in delightful characters, has a captivating plot, and paints a vivid picture of a time period long since vanished. The audio is pure entertainment.
Gerry
A murder in a quarry, discovered by the children of the dead man sets the scene for this tale of mystery. The quarry scenes are dramatically described and capture the ambience admirably as Kate Shackleton, an amateur female detective, sets out to discover what is going on.

The body disappears, to turn up later but another murder takes place and Kate wonders if the two are connected. Scotland Yard get involved and Kate works with the Superintendent (is she in love with him? Does she want another r
David Marshall
This is a nicely balanced book which captures life in the Britain of the 1920s and gives our female investigator an interesting murder mystery to get her teeth into.

Terri
Set right after WWI, I thought this might be like the other 'girl' detectives of that time. It is, but she's a likeable character, and while it did take me a few chapters to really get into the story, I finally did, and enjoyed the read.
Meg Hadley Trager
Brody definitely knows how to spin a yarn and keep the reader guessing. You do get a clear picture of most of her main characters -- some strong and compelling, especially Kate Shackleton, the primary character -- and some not so much. The telling of the tale is the interest for me here because I don't feel drawn to the victim or many of the characters. Historical atmosphere, greatly affected by WWI is always compelling.
Dany
Another good story in the Kate Shackleton cozy mystery series. Not overly gripping, but entertaining and an easy read.
Judith
Third in the series. Not quite as good as the first two but developed some interesting characters for future adventures in the series.
Hiede Lai
As usual, it's a good read :)
Wyshona D. Lawson
This might be the best one yet.
Vanessab
This is an entertaining read. I thought that it would be fairly straightforward, but I like the way the author acknowledges some of the political issues. It's a good yarn and I love the descriptions. It did keep me guessing and I look forward to reading some more books by Frances Brody.
Deb
I've been reading mysteries for more than 50 years (she realized, to her surprise,) and I've found there's three sorts of series; the ones that are dependably the same each time, the modern one ones that start strong and get worse as the authors and editors get tired and/or greedy, and the ones that get better as they go along.

This is the third sort, I think, and I hope it continues to improve as it goes.
Emma
I bought this book at a charity shop without realising it was set in the Leeds area. This added to my enjoyment of the book but it was overall a decent murder mystery anyway. It's the first book from this series I've read and even though it's not the first in the series it was still easy enough to pick up on the characters' pasts etc. I'll likely read more from this author.
Susan
Fully rounded characters with their own emotional lives live in this book. This is a Jacqueline Winspear read-alike recommendation and I was prepared to say HA! Though different, she writes a darn good book about Britain after the Great War and I hope she'll write another soon./
Annie Jones
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The background is authentic, the characters well drawn and the plot sufficiently complicated to hold the attention. I have found these Kate Shackleton books, based in Yorkshire, very soothing reading.
Kathy Moberg
A terrific addition to this excellent post-WWI series! I found it quite gripping and didn't want to put it down. Many plot twists, very well-drawn characters, good writing... If you like Maisie Dobbs or Bess Crawford, you'll like Kate!
Melanie Goldmund
Kate is an engaging character and I enjoyed discovering more about her background. I admire her pluckiness in 1920's Britain. The book somehow manages to appear leisurely and yet keeps me turning the pages at the same time.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Another interesting case for Kate. I think the 1920s setting works well and I enjoy seeing how women's roles are changing in the aftermath of the first world war as well as the mysteries themselves.
Lizzy Kingston
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Silly period crime drama ( in a good way!) Lovely to read with cake and tea on a rainy afternoon.
Lewis Birchon
Enjoyable, frothy, but with an edge. Well executed murder mystery in the tradition of Marple, et al.
Pamela Wiggins
This series gets better and better as it goes along!
  • Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver, #7)
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #19)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • Brighton Belle
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mystery #3)
  • Beneath the Abbey Wall
  • Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell
Frances Brody's highly-praised 1920s mysteries feature clever and elegant Kate Shackleton, First World War widow turned sleuth. Missing person? Foul play suspected? Kate's your woman. For good measure, she may bring along ex-policeman, Jim Sykes.

Before turning to crime, Frances wrote for radio, television and theatre, and was nominated for a Time Out Award. She published four sagas, winning the H
More about Frances Brody...
Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1) A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2) A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4) Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5) Death of an Avid Reader (Kate Shackleton, #6)