Start by marking “Murder in the Afternoon” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Afternoon

Murder in the Afternoon (Kate Shackleton #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  41 reviews
An intricate plot in the post-WWI English countryside and Frances Brody's "refreshingly complex heroine" (Kirkus) combine in Murder in the Afternoon, an absorbing mystery.

Dead one minute…

Young Harriet and her brother Austin have always been scared of the quarry where their stone mason father works. So when they find him dead on the cold ground, they rush off quickly to loo
Published February 11th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Afternoon

Rachel
Just finished reading this, a good read. Kate Shackleton is a woman in a mans world but she stands her ground and solves the mystery with her sidekick the reliable Sykes.
Liz
Murder in the Afternoon is the third book in the Kate Shakleton series by Frances Brody. Set in England between the Great War and WWII, Kate Shakleton has become an expert in finding people. She is asked to help find Mary Jane Armstrong's husband who has disappeared. Ethan Armstrong is a stone mason and does his work at the quarry. Hired to complete a sundial he goes to work on his off day and is found lying on the shed's floor by his two young children who braved walking across the quarry to br ...more
Rebecca
Kate Shackleton is a WWI widow who has set herself up as an investigator near Leeds. One morning, very early, she is wakened by a woman named Mary Jane desperate for her help in finding her missing husband. Her husband was working at their local quarry, but when their children went to bring him dinner, ten-year-old Harriet found him dead. She went to the nearest farm to report, but by the time anyone arrived, the body was gone and no one but her mother believed her. Mary Jane seems vaguely famil ...more
Damaskcat
Kate Shackleton is woken early one morning by a young woman who claims to be her sister. Mary Jane Armstrong's husband, Ethan has disappeared and the police are not taking the matter seriously as they believe he has left her. Kate is dubious about Mary Jane but when she goes to her home and meets her young daughter, Harriet, who is the spitting image of Kate at that age she is convinced.

Curiosity soon drags Kate into the case and she is convinced that Harriet saw her father dead when she went to
J
Found this on the shelves of the library and it ticked a lot of my interest boxes: Modern English author, detective story set in England post-WWI. The first half of the book was excessively dry and boring. I felt lost because almost no background or description was provided on the main character. I just assumed she was an old Miss Marple type, but discovered over 100pgs into the book that she was youngish. This is book #3 in the series and apparently you have to read the series from book #1.

The
Grey853
Kathleen
The third book in a series about Kate Shackleton, a private investigator emerging in post WWI England, introduced me to a protagonist, different from Maisie Dobbs and others we have met in the last ten years, yet still struggling with the same prejudices about class and women. This mystery also serves as a platform for the political and social issues that simmered in England at the time, men frustrated after returning from their sacrifices during the war only to find poor wages and working condi ...more
Nancy
Given the comparative improvement in this volume, I guess I have to push this to a 3.5 in its genre.

More focused than the other books, other POVs balanced and did not interfere with the story, fewer plot digressions. There are still 3 main issues (including the murder) that Kate is dealing with but they fit together and did not distract. Maybe a bit swiftly wrapped up/solved at the end, but all-in-all a decent read. I will say that Marcus is not growing on me, his characterization is either weak
April
Enjoyable mystery in the Kate Shackleton series. In this one, her long-lost birth sister, 1 of 10, emerges (Kate was adopted)and asks Kate to help her find her husband, a quarry stonemason who dabbles in labor unions. Her little girl (Kate's niece) claims to have seen her father dead in the quarry before his body disappeared. Was it labor union politics gone bad? Or is Kate's sister hiding something much more sinister than their long-lost connection? Kate unravels the mystery with typical nerve ...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Murder in the Afternoon’ by Frances Brody
Published by Piatkus, 1st March 2012: ISBN: 978-0-7499-5487-1

Kate Shackleton is called to help locate a missing stone mason. His wife Mary Jane Armstrong is adamant that Kate can help her, and in the face of such belief Kate agrees to accompany the woman back to her home in Great Applewick.

The story Kate pieces together is, that Mary Jane’s children Harriet and Austin had gone to the quarry where their father worked to bring him lunch, and that the daug
Susan
Mason's wife Mary Jane turns to Kate Shackleton, World War I widow and adopted daughter of a high-ranking police officer, for help when her husband Ethan disappears. In addition to her problems, Mary Jane brings insight into Kate's own life. At first the police assume that leftist Ethan deserted his wife and two children; when they are convinced to look into the case, which also involves the wealthy local landowner, they target Mary Jane as Ethan's murderer.
Barbara
Frances Brody's mystery series is getting better. In this book, the part time detective Kate Shakleton pursues the disappearance/death of a stone mason, Ethan Armstong, who was found by his daughter unresponsive at a stone quarry, and then he/the body disappeared. The plot is made more interesting by the appearance of Kte's biological sister, or is she? And to top it all, her sister is also Ethan's wife/widow. It's a good fun plot!
Rita	 Marie
I stumbled into the middle of this series, because my library considers a book published three years ago to be "new." Oh, well.

But a great find. The sense of time and place is excellent, plot nicely puzzling right up to the end, and engaging characters too.

Library has the two earlier books; heaven knows when they will get anything more recent than 2011.

Mayda
Kate is in for some surprises of a personal nature in this third installment in this series. Working a missing person case that may indeed turn into a murder investigation, Kate could be in danger herself. Set in the years following The Great War, this novel is rich in delightful characters, has a captivating plot, and paints a vivid picture of a time period long since vanished. The audio is pure entertainment.
Gerry
A murder in a quarry, discovered by the children of the dead man sets the scene for this tale of mystery. The quarry scenes are dramatically described and capture the ambience admirably as Kate Shackleton, an amateur female detective, sets out to discover what is going on.

The body disappears, to turn up later but another murder takes place and Kate wonders if the two are connected. Scotland Yard get involved and Kate works with the Superintendent (is she in love with him? Does she want another r
Kyla Zerbes
Another series I'm really glad I gave a chance to. This 3rd book in the cosy mystery gives us more background & history about the main character, a female inquiry agent. And again the mystery was pretty well done and leaves you guessing until near the very end!
Joanna Warrens
Another satisfying read

I enjoy this series very much. Brody writes in a visual way so the settings and actions are realistic and memorable. Also I enjoy the main character Kate. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
David Marshall
This is a nicely balanced book which captures life in the Britain of the 1920s and gives our female investigator an interesting murder mystery to get her teeth into.

Terri
Set right after WWI, I thought this might be like the other 'girl' detectives of that time. It is, but she's a likeable character, and while it did take me a few chapters to really get into the story, I finally did, and enjoyed the read.
Meg Trager
Brody definitely knows how to spin a yarn and keep the reader guessing. You do get a clear picture of most of her main characters -- some strong and compelling, especially Kate Shackleton, the primary character -- and some not so much. The telling of the tale is the interest for me here because I don't feel drawn to the victim or many of the characters. Historical atmosphere, greatly affected by WWI is always compelling.
Nancy H
I like this series. It reminds me a lot of the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear, which is similar and which is also very good.
Homerun2
I read the first three books of this series. I really liked the debut novel but found the second one to be just an average cozy. In this third book, I felt like the author was finding her voice and gaining confidence. I liked her somewhat quirky style, and the feistiness Kate exhibits.
Dany
Another good story in the Kate Shackleton cozy mystery series. Not overly gripping, but entertaining and an easy read.
Judith
Third in the series. Not quite as good as the first two but developed some interesting characters for future adventures in the series.
Julie
British mystery set in the 1920's.
Hiede Lai
As usual, it's a good read :)
Wyshona D. Lawson
This might be the best one yet.
Vanessab
This is an entertaining read. I thought that it would be fairly straightforward, but I like the way the author acknowledges some of the political issues. It's a good yarn and I love the descriptions. It did keep me guessing and I look forward to reading some more books by Frances Brody.
Deb
I've been reading mysteries for more than 50 years (she realized, to her surprise,) and I've found there's three sorts of series; the ones that are dependably the same each time, the modern one ones that start strong and get worse as the authors and editors get tired and/or greedy, and the ones that get better as they go along.

This is the third sort, I think, and I hope it continues to improve as it goes.
Emma
I bought this book at a charity shop without realising it was set in the Leeds area. This added to my enjoyment of the book but it was overall a decent murder mystery anyway. It's the first book from this series I've read and even though it's not the first in the series it was still easy enough to pick up on the characters' pasts etc. I'll likely read more from this author.
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery series, #1)
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War, #9)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford, #5)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Beneath the Abbey Wall
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #19)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mystery #3)
  • A Killing of Angels (Alice Quentin #2)
Frances Brody's highly-praised 1920s mysteries feature clever and elegant Kate Shackleton, First World War widow turned sleuth. Missing person? Foul play suspected? Kate's your woman. For good measure, she may bring along ex-policeman, Jim Sykes.

Before turning to crime, Frances wrote for radio, television and theatre, and was nominated for a Time Out Award. She published four sagas, winning the H
More about Frances Brody...

Kate Shackleton (6 books)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4)
  • Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5)
  • Death of an Avid Reader (Kate Shackleton, #6)
Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1) A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2) A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4) Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5) Death of an Avid Reader (Kate Shackleton, #6)