Murder in the Afternoon

Murder in the Afternoon (Kate Shackleton #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An intricate plot in the post-WWI English countryside and Frances Brody's "refreshingly complex heroine" (Kirkus) combine in Murder in the Afternoon, an absorbing mystery perfect for fans of Jacqueline Winspear and Agatha Christie.

Dead one minute…

Young Harriet and her brother Austin have always been scared of the quarry where their stone mason father works. So when they fi...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2011)

Nancy
Given the comparative improvement in this volume, I guess I have to push this to a 3.5 in its genre.

More focused than the other books, other POVs balanced and did not interfere with the story, fewer plot digressions. There are still 3 main issues (including the murder) that Kate is dealing with but they fit together and did not distract. Maybe a bit swiftly wrapped up/solved at the end, but all-in-all a decent read. I will say that Marcus is not growing on me, his characterization is either weak...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘Murder in the Afternoon’ by Frances Brody
Published by Piatkus, 1st March 2012: ISBN: 978-0-7499-5487-1

Kate Shackleton is called to help locate a missing stone mason. His wife Mary Jane Armstrong is adamant that Kate can help her, and in the face of such belief Kate agrees to accompany the woman back to her home in Great Applewick.

The story Kate pieces together is, that Mary Jane’s children Harriet and Austin had gone to the quarry where their father worked to bring him lunch, and that the daug...more
Barbara
Frances Brody's mystery series is getting better. In this book, the part time detective Kate Shakleton pursues the disappearance/death of a stone mason, Ethan Armstong, who was found by his daughter unresponsive at a stone quarry, and then he/the body disappeared. The plot is made more interesting by the appearance of Kte's biological sister, or is she? And to top it all, her sister is also Ethan's wife/widow. It's a good fun plot!
Gerry
A murder in a quarry, discovered by the children of the dead man sets the scene for this tale of mystery. The quarry scenes are dramatically described and capture the ambience admirably as Kate Shackleton, an amateur female detective, sets out to discover what is going on.

The body disappears, to turn up later but another murder takes place and Kate wonders if the two are connected. Scotland Yard get involved and Kate works with the Superintendent (is she in love with him? Does she want another r...more
Helen
My second book by this author, and I still like it. She's got an interesting mixture of background, and her family gets involved in this book too. Quite telling on the subject of the huge social upheaval that took place after the first world war, this episode involving Communism and trade unions as well as references to the increasing advance of women into the male workplace. Not all the characters view this in quite the same way, making for some interesting conflicts. If I happen to see another...more
Hiede Lai
As usual, it's a good read :)
Wyshona D. Lawson
This might be the best one yet.
Deb
I've been reading mysteries for more than 50 years (she realized, to her surprise,) and I've found there's three sorts of series; the ones that are dependably the same each time, the modern one ones that start strong and get worse as the authors and editors get tired and/or greedy, and the ones that get better as they go along.

This is the third sort, I think, and I hope it continues to improve as it goes.
Annie Jones
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The background is authentic, the characters well drawn and the plot sufficiently complicated to hold the attention. I have found these Kate Shackleton books, based in Yorkshire, very soothing reading.
Kathy Moberg
A terrific addition to this excellent post-WWI series! I found it quite gripping and didn't want to put it down. Many plot twists, very well-drawn characters, good writing... If you like Maisie Dobbs or Bess Crawford, you'll like Kate!
Melanie Goldmund
Kate is an engaging character and I enjoyed discovering more about her background. I admire her pluckiness in 1920's Britain. The book somehow manages to appear leisurely and yet keeps me turning the pages at the same time.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Another interesting case for Kate. I think the 1920s setting works well and I enjoy seeing how women's roles are changing in the aftermath of the first world war as well as the mysteries themselves.
Lizzy Kingston
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Silly period crime drama ( in a good way!) Lovely to read with cake and tea on a rainy afternoon.
Lewis Birchon
Enjoyable, frothy, but with an edge. Well executed murder mystery in the tradition of Marple, et al.
Teddi
Another good read. will have search out the next one!
Diana
Series just keeps getting more interesting!
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mcdebbie
Mcdebbie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Meghan Curran Darling
Meghan Curran Darling marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Rasamee
Rasamee marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Delia
Delia added it
Apr 09, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Sara Repasy
Sara Repasy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Frances Brody's highly-praised 1920s mysteries feature clever and elegant Kate Shackleton, First World War widow turned sleuth. Missing person? Foul play suspected? Kate's your woman. For good measure, she may bring along ex-policeman, Jim Sykes.

Before turning to crime, Frances wrote for radio, television and theatre, and was nominated for a Time Out Award. She published four sagas, winning the H...more
More about Frances Brody...
Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1) A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2) A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4) Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5) Murder in the Afternoon