Start by marking “Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)

Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Society often makes strange bedfellows—and even more surprising betrothals...

IS IT A REASON FOR ROMANCE?

Young widowed Georgina Mowbray is settling into her role as Lady Russell’s companion quite well—until the lady’s nephew Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, arrives in Bath for a visit. Georgie’s always found him shallow and too smooth, and trusts him as much as she trusts mos
Published January 28th 2014 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Why Earls Fall in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Earls Fall in Love

Romancing the Duke by Tessa DareThree Weeks With Lady X by Eloisa JamesVixen in Velvet by Loretta ChaseWhen the Rogue Returns by Sabrina JeffriesRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie Alleman
2014 Historical Romance (January - June)
24th out of 291 books — 548 voters
The Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyWhen He Was Wicked by Julia QuinnSlightly Dangerous by Mary BaloghRomancing the Countess by Ashley MarchWicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
Historical Widows
22nd out of 89 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is the second book in the Wicked Widows series from Manda Collins.

The series centres on sisters, Isabella and Perdita, and their friend, Georgina… all widows of abusive husbands. They share a terrible secret concerning the death of Perdita’s husband, the Duke of Ormonde, but find themselves threatened by someone who obviously knows that secret and is out for revenge. The first book, Why Dukes Say I Do , told Isabella’s story and this is Georgina’s (Georgie’s) story.

“…he has nothing more t
My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE by Manda Collins is an exciting Regency Historical Romance. #2 in the "Wicked Widows" trilogy, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Why Dukes Say I Do". Fast paced filled with deception, passion,danger and love.

Meet Georgina Mowbray and Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, Lady Russell's nephew. Georgina is Lady Russell's companion as well as one of the Wicked Widow's.

A delightful tale of finding love, trust,acceptance and the power of love. You must check out Manda Collins'
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2) by Manda Collins
Manda Collins

Isabella, Perdita and Georgina were all in the room when Perdita's hubby, the cruel and evil Duke of Ormond, was shot and stabbed to death and, now over a year later, a evil unknown nemesis wants REVENGE for the Duke's untimely death!

Mrs. Georgina, Georgie, Mowbray married an Army man and, like her mother, followed her hubby from post to post. But unlike her mother, her hubby used cruel words, huge fists, belt, boots or anything handy, to abuse her with. Now that he is dead, she is
Goldie
Manda Collins is back with Why Earls Fall in Love, the sequel to Why Dukes Say I Do, the first book in her Wicked Widows series. When I saw that Manda had a new book out, I immediately had to get it. I didn't realize until today out of her eight novels, I've already read five, and I'm pretty sure that number will still increase with her other future releases.

I enjoyed the first book so much and liked the romantic, albeit a bit predictable, pairings that I did not hesitate to read Why Earls Fall
Gerrie
Manda Collins is a polished author who writes well. The plot of this book, as well as the first book in this trilogy, was very well done. Collins definitely kept my interest in the mystery, and I look forward to its conclusion in the third book. I also liked the characters of both Con and Georgina, the hero and heroine. They were engaging and interesting, and their romance was believable. Further, this whole series shines a light on the plight of abused women. Women in regency England (as well a ...more
Esther Somorai
I won this book from St. Martin's Press through GoodReads, first-reads giveaway. Thank you.

What a Beautiful Cover. A really enjoyable, well-written, exciting, fast read. With a diverse cast of characters plus the story as presented kept me reading and guessing to the very end and beyond.
Mary Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Rather than to point out outstanding elements from this novel, it is fairer to say that this story runs like well-oiled clockwork, every plot, character development in perfect harmony, executed flawlessly.

Full review to come...(eventually)
Charlene
For some reason, I thought that Perdita's story would come second and that Georgina's would be last, so I was surprised when I began this second Wicked Widows novel. I also should mention that wicked really is not a descriptor for these unfortunate ladies who had all been abused by their now-deceased husbands.

Again, Manda Collins has written a book that managed to hold my attention and that has me actively waiting to read the third and last story in the series, to be released later this year. Fo
Janga
Collins, who promises her readers “romance spiced with mystery,” has upped the stakes and the tension of the mystery element in Why Earls Fall in Love, and she manages to do so without sacrificing the centrality of the romance. In Georgina and Con, Collins creates likeable protagonists whose choices preserve the integrity of their characters. Georgina grew up with her father away with his military duties much of the time, a pattern that was repeated with her husband. She is accustomed to making ...more
Tracy
I enjoyed this book and it was a quick, well written read.

Con and Georgina were both good characters - but I felt like their "relationship" moved too fast. Georgie went from not liking Con and being uncomfortable around him to kissing and confiding in him within days. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. And let's not forget that Con had been betrothed to Georgie's best friend. A romance between these two was improbable at worst and highly unlikely at best.

As far as the my
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

The widowed Mrs Georgina Mowbray is finding life as a ladies companion far preferable than the life she ever had as a wife to her brutish and new deceased husband. There are only two things disturbing her new life, one being the Earl of Coniston, Con, who is far to handsome and charming by far and seems determined to befriend her and two a dark secret that only she and her two closest friends are privy to. But Georgie and friends secret may not quite be as secret as they thought as they all get
Amy *Rawr*
When I really think about it. I didn't like this historical romance novel. The historical part of a novel part of that genre is what makes it so enticing. However, many authors fail at connecting the history and romance enough in a concrete mesh that is both interesting and entertaining to read.

What I'm saying is that this book falls into the category of really boring historical novels that take forever to read. I'm sorry it just wasn't my type. I couldn't relate to Georgina or Coniston at all.
Linda
This time around we have Georgina Mowbray's account of overcoming her history of domestic violence. Unlike her friends, sisters Isabella and Perdita, Georgie is not a noble. She was a military wife who followed the drum until her abusive husband died on the battlefield freeing her yet leaving her with no money.

She becomes a companion to a noble lady whose grandson used to be sort of engaged to Perdita. But for Perdita and the Earl, there was no passion. She and Con remain friends, he is free to
Zel Polev
Emily
This book frustrated me with its major - and minor - timeline issues. On the major front, it was one month, then three, then what seemed like six months since Georgina began as Lady Russell's companion. There seemed to be the same confusion over when the events of the previous book took place (one month, three months, "last year"). And Chapter 4 - oh my what a mess. First it was the morning after their trip to the castle (Georgina went to bed early and awoke the next morning feeling refreshed) b ...more
SidneyKay
Pirouette
I love Manda Collins's regency romances. Like the previous trilogy, the Why stories have a mystery to resolve, a love story and some good friends.

Manda's writing is light but well-crafted. The whodunnit part keeps us reading, without taking itself too seriously, and the whole book is a delight to read.
Artemiz
Why Earls Fall in Love from Wicked Widows series by Manda Collins is one extremely infuriating book.

The time line all messed up (view spoiler), the story is not consistent, surprise inform
Kimia Safavi
Why Earls Fall in Love is a mystery historical romance, I couldn't guess who was the villain until the end of the book. The story was engaging with romance, mystery and threat. I like the way Mrs. Collin tell the story even I have not read the first in this series I could follow the story about three friends with their secrets. I am looking forward to read the next in this series and find out who is the villain. Thank you Mrs. Collins
Audrey
This was a wonderful love story with a bit of mystery intertwined. A story of love overcoming status when the earl falls in love with the widow companion to his Aunt while trying to figure out who wants revenge on the widow. I could not put this down!!
Sarah Andre
Absolutely loved this 2nd in a trilogy, featuring 3 friends who share a dark secret and are being blackmailed by someone. Chemistry and conflict between the Earl and Dowager's companion sizzled. As usual, Manda Collins reigns over all other historical writers (IMO) when it comes to alpha dialogue between male friends. Just a hoot! Highly suggested read!
Gwen Hernandez
I loved this installment of the Wicked Widows series. I keep thinking about the characters, wanting to pick up the book and then remembering that I've already finished it. WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE is a fabulous blend of intrigue, fun sexy times, and tender romance. Con and Georgina are perfect together. I'm anxiously awaiting book three.
Mainer207
I don't think the Widows series is this author's best work. I found this book tedious and not interesting. The main characters were fairly likeable but the situations seemed forced or made little sense. I struggled to finish this.
Cocktails and Books
Dominic and Georgina were both good characters. I felt like their relationship was a bit to fast paced . Georgie went from not liking Dominic and being uncomfortable around him, confiding in him and kissing him with in days time. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. But other then that "Why Earls Fall in love was a great book. The end really shocked me and threw me through a loop. I have really enjoyed the series so far, and can't wait to read the next book to find out who ...more
Alisha
Can't wait to read about Perdita
Jessi
At the beginning of this book, we once again recap exactly why the three widows who are heroines in this series are so closely tied together. Georgina Mowbrey is forced to work for a living. She rather likes Lady Russell. That makes it hard when Georgie starts receiving mysterious threats against her life. She doesn't want anyone else harmed just because she helped a friend.
Lord Coniston "Con", is Lady Russell's nephew so he's also in Bath to attend her 70th birthday celebration. After meeting G
Connie Fischer
Mrs. Georgina Mowbray is a war widow making her living as a companion to Lady Russell. They are currently staying in Bath to allow Lady Russell to take the waters in hopes that it will help her arthritis problems. They have developed a close relationship and friendship.

Dominic, the Earl of Coniston and known as Con, is the nephew of Lady Russell and has arrivde to visit her. Although a polished man, Georgina does not trust him or even men in general. While his charms attract her, she does all sh
Dolly
Much as the first the romance itself is quite nice but the plot is quite average. This one seemed to continue the trend of a mentally ill and/or vulnerable villain and I hope it doesn't continue to play off that trend in the future.

(view spoiler)
Cindy
Ulrike
Problems with this book:
1) The story dragged. The book is probably 30% longer than necessary for the actual content.
2) It's pretty much the same story as the first book in the series. This makes a mystery a lot less mysterious.
3) The characters aren't particularly interesting or likable. Quite a few of them are clones of each other.
Q & A with Ma...: You Choose the Cover for WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE! 7 10 Jun 12, 2013 12:54PM
  • Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals, #1)
  • Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton, #1)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregors, #3)
  • The Greatest Lover Ever (The Westruthers, #2)
  • What a Reckless Rogue Needs (The Sinful Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Trouble With Honor (The Cabot Sisters, #1)
  • It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)
  • How the Scoundrel Seduces (The Duke's Men, #3)
  • The Winter Bride (Chance Sisters, #2)
  • Between a Rake and a Hard Place (The Royal Rakes, #3)
  • One Rogue Too Many (Rival Rogues, #1)
  • A Wicked Pursuit (Breconridge Brothers, #1)
  • Miss Molly Robbins Designs a Seduction (Sydney Dovedale, #4)
  • Rogue with a Brogue (Scandalous Highlanders, #2)
  • Moonlight On My Mind
  • Twilight with the Infamous Earl (Lords of Vice, #7)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
Manda Collins spent her teen years wishing she’d been born a couple of centuries earlier, preferably in the English countryside. Time travel being what it is, she resigned herself to life with electricity and indoor plumbing, and read lots of books. An affinity for books led to a graduate degree in English, followed by another in Librarianship. By day, she works as an academic librarian at a small ...more
More about Manda Collins...
How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1) How to Romance a Rake (Ugly Ducklings #2) How to Entice an Earl (Ugly Ducklings, #3) Why Dukes Say I Do (Wicked Widows, #1) The Perks of Being a Beauty (Ugly Ducklings, #3.5)