Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)

Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Society often makes strange bedfellows—and even more surprising betrothals...

IS IT A REASON FOR ROMANCE?

Young widowed Georgina Mowbray is settling into her role as Lady Russell’s companion quite well—until the lady’s nephew Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, arrives in Bath for a visit. Georgie’s always found him shallow and too smooth, and trusts him as much as she trusts mos...more
Published January 28th 2014 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE by Manda Collins is an exciting Regency Historical Romance. #2 in the "Wicked Widows" trilogy, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Why Dukes Say I Do". Fast paced filled with deception, passion,danger and love.

Meet Georgina Mowbray and Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, Lady Russell's nephew. Georgina is Lady Russell's companion as well as one of the Wicked Widow's.

A delightful tale of finding love, trust,acceptance and the power of love. You must check out Manda Collins'...more
Goldie
Manda Collins is back with Why Earls Fall in Love, the sequel to Why Dukes Say I Do, the first book in her Wicked Widows series. When I saw that Manda had a new book out, I immediately had to get it. I didn't realize until today out of her eight novels, I've already read five, and I'm pretty sure that number will still increase with her other future releases.

I enjoyed the first book so much and liked the romantic, albeit a bit predictable, pairings that I did not hesitate to read Why Earls Fall...more
Charlene
For some reason, I thought that Perdita's story would come second and that Georgina's would be last, so I was surprised when I began this second Wicked Widows novel. I also should mention that wicked really is not a descriptor for these unfortunate ladies who had all been abused by their now-deceased husbands.

Again, Manda Collins has written a book that managed to hold my attention and that has me actively waiting to read the third and last story in the series, to be released later this year. Fo...more
Janga
Collins, who promises her readers “romance spiced with mystery,” has upped the stakes and the tension of the mystery element in Why Earls Fall in Love, and she manages to do so without sacrificing the centrality of the romance. In Georgina and Con, Collins creates likeable protagonists whose choices preserve the integrity of their characters. Georgina grew up with her father away with his military duties much of the time, a pattern that was repeated with her husband. She is accustomed to making...more
Tracy
I enjoyed this book and it was a quick, well written read.

Con and Georgina were both good characters - but I felt like their "relationship" moved too fast. Georgie went from not liking Con and being uncomfortable around him to kissing and confiding in him within days. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. And let's not forget that Con had been betrothed to Georgie's best friend. A romance between these two was improbable at worst and highly unlikely at best.

As far as the my...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)

The widowed Mrs Georgina Mowbray is finding life as a ladies companion far preferable than the life she ever had as a wife to her brutish and new deceased husband. There are only two things disturbing her new life, one being the Earl of Coniston, Con, who is far to handsome and charming by far and seems determined to befriend her and two a dark secret that only she and her two closest friends are privy to. But Georgie and friends secret may not quite be as secret as they thought as they all get...more
SidneyKay
Pirouette
I love Manda Collins's regency romances. Like the previous trilogy, the Why stories have a mystery to resolve, a love story and some good friends.

Manda's writing is light but well-crafted. The whodunnit part keeps us reading, without taking itself too seriously, and the whole book is a delight to read.
Kimia Safavi
Why Earls Fall in Love is a mystery historical romance, I couldn't guess who was the villain until the end of the book. The story was engaging with romance, mystery and threat. I like the way Mrs. Collin tell the story even I have not read the first in this series I could follow the story about three friends with their secrets. I am looking forward to read the next in this series and find out who is the villain. Thank you Mrs. Collins
Audrey
This was a wonderful love story with a bit of mystery intertwined. A story of love overcoming status when the earl falls in love with the widow companion to his Aunt while trying to figure out who wants revenge on the widow. I could not put this down!!
Sarah Andre
Absolutely loved this 2nd in a trilogy, featuring 3 friends who share a dark secret and are being blackmailed by someone. Chemistry and conflict between the Earl and Dowager's companion sizzled. As usual, Manda Collins reigns over all other historical writers (IMO) when it comes to alpha dialogue between male friends. Just a hoot! Highly suggested read!
Gwen Hernandez
I loved this installment of the Wicked Widows series. I keep thinking about the characters, wanting to pick up the book and then remembering that I've already finished it. WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE is a fabulous blend of intrigue, fun sexy times, and tender romance. Con and Georgina are perfect together. I'm anxiously awaiting book three.
Mary  Chen *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Rather than to point out outstanding elements from this novel, it is fairer to say that this story runs like well-oiled clockwork, every plot, character development in perfect harmony, executed flawlessly.

Full review to come...(eventually)
Cocktails and Books
Dominic and Georgina were both good characters. I felt like their relationship was a bit to fast paced . Georgie went from not liking Dominic and being uncomfortable around him, confiding in him and kissing him with in days time. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. But other then that "Why Earls Fall in love was a great book. The end really shocked me and threw me through a loop. I have really enjoyed the series so far, and can't wait to read the next book to find out who...more
Alisha
Can't wait to read about Perdita
Amethyst
When I really think about it. I didn't like this historical romance novel. The historical part of a novel part of that genre is what makes it so enticing. However, many authors fail at connecting the history and romance enough in a concrete mesh that is both interesting and entertaining to read.

What I'm saying is that this book falls into the category of really boring historical novels that take forever to read. I'm sorry it just wasn't my type. I couldn't relate to Georgina or Coniston at all....more
Dolly
Much as the first the romance itself is quite nice but the plot is quite average. This one seemed to continue the trend of a mentally ill and/or vulnerable villain and I hope it doesn't continue to play off that trend in the future.

(view spoiler)
Jo
Mar 11, 2014 Jo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Manda Collins seems to write in a way that simply appeals to me. I didn't engage with these characters as much as I have some of her others, but nevertheless overall I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to Perdita's book.
Claire
Another "guilty pleasure" historical romance that I am glad to have been able to add to my shelves. The dialogue is at times stilted and there are lapses if you were not fortunate enough to read the first book in the series beforehand, however these minor flaws aside this was a great quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Sandy
Still pretty good but the "culprit " in this book (and I fear in the next one) follows the same pattern as the first book.
Mary Squier
I wish it had been a bit longer....can't get enough
Christina
2014?!?! GGAAAHHH! -_-
Ericamt79
Ericamt79 marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kschorr
Kschorr marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
4rocks
4rocks added it
Apr 13, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Q & A with Ma...: You Choose the Cover for WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE! 7 10 Jun 12, 2013 12:54PM
  • Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton, #1)
  • How the Scoundrel Seduces (The Duke's Men, #3)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • The Rogue Returns
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • One Rogue Too Many (Rival Rogues, #1)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Three Weeks With Lady X (Desperate Duchesses, #7)
  • The Trouble With Honor (The Cabot Sisters, #1)
  • Once She Was Tempted (Honeycote, #2)
  • Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals, #1)
  • The Heart of a Duke
  • The Greatest Lover Ever (The Westruthers, #2)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregor Trilogy, #3)
  • Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)
  • What a Reckless Rogue Needs (The Sinful Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Gentleman 'Til Midnight
Manda Collins spent her teen years wishing she’d been born a couple of centuries earlier, preferably in the English countryside. Time travel being what it is, she resigned herself to life with electricity and indoor plumbing, and read lots of books. An affinity for books led to a graduate degree in English, followed by another in Librarianship. By day, she works as an academic librarian at a small...more
More about Manda Collins...
How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1) How to Romance a Rake (Ugly Ducklings #2) How to Entice an Earl (Ugly Ducklings, #3) Why Dukes Say I Do (Wicked Widows, #1) The Perks of Being a Beauty (Ugly Ducklings, #3.5)