Start by marking “Eat What You Kill: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Eat What You Kill: A Novel

Eat What You Kill: A Novel

In Eat What You Kill by Ted Scofield, Evan Stoess is a struggling young Wall Street analyst obsessed with fortune and fame. A trailer park kid who attended an exclusive prep school through a lucky twist of fate, Evan’s unusual past leaves him an alien in both worlds, an outsider who desperately wants to belong. When a small stock he discovers becomes an overnight sensation ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Eat What You Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat What You Kill

Anna Janelle
I've purposely been dragging my feet on this review, as I'm not entirely sure what to say. I can honestly say that Evan Stoess may be ever bit as off putting and terrible as the unforgettable narrator of American Psycho, a fellow narcissist and capitalist, Patrick Bateman. Evan is a slightly tamer psychopath, limiting his kills on and off Wall Street to those that will be financially beneficial to him. He craves status. Every page of the novel is littered with the names of products that I could ...more
Ted Scofield
Jan 18, 2014 Ted Scofield rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone!
EAT WHAT YOU KILL was released by St. Martin's on March 25. Here is my favorite review to date, from Mystery Scene Magazine:
After experiencing firsthand the negative effects of an “act of God” on the stock of a company he was touting (when that firm’s charismatic leader dies suddenly of a heart attack), high-strung Wall Street analyst Evan Stoess is a little more proactive the next time he is close to a big score, murdering a famous but flighty game designer after shorting the stock of the desig
Marvin
Mar 21, 2014 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In some strange way, The pychopathic stock analyst Evan Stoess in Ted Scofield's debut novel Eat What You Kill reminds me of Clyde Griffiths, the struggling lower class dupe from Theodore Dreiser's classic An American Tragedy. Both are from less than desirable circumstances, both are obsessed with joining the privileged class while that same group of people look down upon them, and both become so desperate they consider murder as a desirable option.

But that is where the similarities end. While C
Rickie Blair
Aug 01, 2014 Rickie Blair rated it really liked it
Evan Stoess, after a deplorable childhood, becomes a Wall Street analyst obsessed with the good life, or what he considers to be the good life. Furthermore, he's willing to do pretty much anything to obtain it.

The plot moves along quite smartly and it's a quick read. The financial industry details are spot on, and Stoess is an excellent creation, very real and compelling. The author's many, many literary and mythological allusions (Stoess is depicted as an English Lit grad as well as an analyst
Lance Charnes
Mar 08, 2014 Lance Charnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of well-shod predators
Shelves: fiction-crime
Ted Scofield's Eat What You Kill is a rare bird: a business psychological thriller that’s both tightly bound to the business world and genuinely entertaining.

Think the people on Wall Street are psychopaths? Scofield's protagonist, Evan Stoess, is the real deal: a completely amoral man with a huge chip on his shoulder, scrambling his way up the financial world's ladder via lies, blackmail, extortion, and ultimately, murder. It’s pretty easy to get caught up in Evan's machinations and to enjoy tag
Liza Smith
Mar 30, 2014 Liza Smith rated it it was amazing
Eat What You Kill is a true category-buster. It's billed as a financial thriller, but Scofield's novel is much more literary and thought-provoking than a typical thriller. One reviewer called it a "philosophical thriller," and if you must label it, that is appropos.

Regarding the protagonist, Evan Stoess, he is certainly a challenging character. Even though I tried my best to resist, I found myself hoping he would get away with his nefarious activities.

Finally, I loved all of the fun and random
Aral Kizilkaya
Apr 23, 2014 Aral Kizilkaya rated it it was amazing
As a liberal lawyer dude with a fascination of Ayn Rand (Well, awkward) and American Psycho. This is my favorite book of the year. All the little references are tailored for the money-hungry little wannabe yuppies which also happened to be poor in real life. All the struggle all the hate are clear, I don't think any one of them actually are capable of killing a human being but Evan does and this is going to be an amazing film also.
Judy Breedlove
Apr 29, 2014 Judy Breedlove rated it it was amazing
Great read - blew through it in two days. Well written and an interesting take on how far one might go for money/success. It's definitely a dark and twisty tale, and dives into the complex world of NY finance (but still easy enough to follow for a layman). Highly recommend!
Peg Samuel
Apr 04, 2014 Peg Samuel rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book and it was incredible. Bravo Ted Scofield. There was depth & reasoning behind everything. Some of my favorite parts would be spoilers if I mentioned in a public forum. What I will say is it's definitely a page turner!
Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister
Mar 23, 2014 Gail Ofterdinger-Ledgister rated it it was amazing
Lusting after what he cannot afford, Evan aspires to wealth and status. He is ready and willing to do anything to achieve his goal. Landing a stock market job that requires him to pick companies that will fail, so that he and his employer will make zillions on their demise, Evan has what it takes to insure success. His plots and schemes are so spot on that the ending is a complete surprise. The decision he makes is totally not him. The book is a quick read, well written and completely entertaini ...more
Cheryl Sutton
Apr 06, 2014 Cheryl Sutton rated it it was amazing
OK Here go's I just finished the BOOK,read it out loud to my husband at Parts & at the end...On our way back from a trip to the Ozarks ..what a compailing story... what a LOVE / HATE relationship in a wierd sorta way (Almost Felt Bad with the LOVE part..lol) I had with Evan?? hum.. Kinda felt sorry for him at times. Hated him at times,Loved the Karma he had planed for some.. Can't wait for the MOVIE!!I'll be First in Line!
Lisa
Jun 27, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, smart and engaging thriller. Once I started, I couldn't put it down.
Truman32
Mar 02, 2014 Truman32 rated it liked it
Let me first disclose that I won an advanced copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Eat What You Kill: A Novel by Ted Scofield is a very light quick read. I beleive if you look up the definition of "beach read" in the dictionary there might even be a picture of the cover...

This book is a marketing firm's dream. There are so many different ideas floating around the story becomes a hobo-stew of different themes and directions. Did you watch Dexter on Showtime? We have a protagonist for y
Benoit Lelièvre
Sep 07, 2014 Benoit Lelièvre rated it liked it
EAT WHAT YOU KILL was not an emotional experience by any means, but it kind of held its own.

Ted Scofield's first novel is a typical successful first novel: it's not strikingly original, but it doesn't copycat anything; its twists are a tad predictable, but they are fun and bold and it doesn't have memorable characters, yet protagonist Evan Stoess has a quirky charm. Long story short, it's a novel that stays within itself.

I liked EAT WHAT YOU KILL. It's a rather twisty, yet simple financial thri
Kristi Patchen howerton
ehhhhh
Shawn
May 11, 2015 Shawn rated it did not like it
I don't understand all the good reviews, I found this book completely absurd. What a waste of time!
Fern Michaels
Fern Michaels rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Lyndsey Stewart
Lyndsey Stewart rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2014
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
kay sturgeon
kay sturgeon rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Arieta
Arieta rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2017
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Brian Paul
Brian Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Denise Fast
Denise Fast rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Greg Roussel
Greg Roussel rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
  • Covert Dreams
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Outlaw (Robin Monarch, #2)
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Resurrected (Adam Wolf Thriller, #1)
  • Healing Rain (Rain Trilogy, #2)
  • Lust, Money & Murder (Lust, Money & Murder, #1-3)
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • Stalked
  • London Twist
  • The Depths
  • The Enemy
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • No Place to Die
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • Identity X