Start by marking “Everything I Ever Needed to Know About _____* I Learned from Monty Python: *History, Art, Poetry, Communism, Philosophy, the Media, Birth, Death, Religion, Literature, Latin, Transvestites, Botany, the French, Class Systems, Mythology, Fish Slapping, a...” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A comprehensive and hilarious guide to understanding the many Monty Python jokes and allusions

Throughout their five seasons on British television (and well into the troop’s movie sequels and assorted solo projects), Monty Python became a worldwide symbol not only for taking serious subjects and making them silly, but also for treating silly subjects seriously.

Monty Python
Published March 18th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books

Be the first to ask a question about Everything I Ever Needed to Know About _____* I Learned from Monty Python

Amanda
Apr 12, 2014 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Similar to the Pop Culture and Philosophy books, but more interesting and enjoyable.

What I didn't like about this book were the errors I found in the finished book. They ranged from mildly irritating typos (mixing symbols and numbers to indicate notes) to factual errors (repeatedly saying the Pythons were in their thirties while making Meaning of Life when they were all in their forties).

Received via Goodreads First Reads.
Cale
Critical Analysis of a series that focuses on parodying criticism seems like quite the challenge. The authors do a fairly good job, recognizing the impossibilities in some ways, and still mining a fair bit of critical depth and introspection of the Python troupe and their show. There are a number of weaknesses (the editing isn't wonderful; the footnote style varies occasionally, and there are numerous quotes and references that are used two and three times in the book, and most of the attempts a ...more
Eric Bauman
I thought that this was going to be a serious look at what the work of the Monty Python troupe could teach us. And indeed, it did start that way. But then, it seemed to devolve into something like the authors auditioning for the Improv. Now, I have no problem with the use of humor in a book like this--I would expect it. The problem for me was that the authors resorted it to it too much. There were constant footnotes which consisted of a line from Monty Python that might have applied to what they ...more
Randall Wallace
As Gillian said, “We approached the Grail as seriously as Pasolini did.” Heroes to most of us, Monty Python showed how rules appeared arbitrary and authority itself was suspect. To many of us being told that we now had to specialize and the days of the generalist were over, Monty Python showed us that specialists rarely saw from the birds eye view – they were too caught up in the rules and narrow definitions of authority (much like our parents!). One member said simply, “We did it to make oursel ...more
Brian Palmer
This book is like having a conversation with a knowledgeable friend, reminiscing about classic Monty Python skits. Much like having a conversation with a friend, I wouldn't rely on it for anything too important, and they have a tendency to repeat themselves, and parts of the at times quite funny conversations are really derivative of python humor in general, but .... And, of course, some of the interpretations are amusingly strained, but it's peppered with interesting facts and factoids.

After ea
Jean
Jun 12, 2014 Jean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
Okay, so I didn't actually finish this book. I was very interested in it upon first glance, but by the time I got through the first 100 or so pages, I decided to give up on it. I love Monty Python, and the authors (both Ph.D.'s),definitely know their stuff, but it was just a bit too dense for me. I'm not sure "dense" is the right word, but I'd rather say that than "too intellectual." I consider myself a smart person, but this book just got into the academics too much to be very entertaining for ...more
Kerry
It's time to come clean... (well as clean as I CAN be)... I was never a Monty Python fan. ::GASP:: I know, I know you ask, HOWE is it possible that I have SUCH an amazing sense of humor?! I think it's pretty much bc I grew up in a traveling family comedy troupe. Only we didn't travel. Except occasionally in an '83 Buick LeSabre Wagon. And before you ask, YES it WAS wood-paneled. Therefore my childhood > yours. Pay no mind to the occasional times it didn't have heat or the breaks went out or t ...more
Martinp
"This hilarious and helpful guide puts Python's myriad references into context . . . " I could tell the authors were trying to be funny, but I found it not so. Too much asterisked copy so that you had to stop what you were reading to read what was at the bottom of the page.
Kareninsacramento
A terrific idea, and much of this was fun (the tone is light, and has much of the Python humor).

But it is written as if it were a Ph.D. thesis (and it most likely was), so there is a great deal of overanalysis, source-citation, and other bogging-down that make it less strictly enjoyable than it could be.

I skimmed parts of it heavily after about the middle, but it's worthwhile read for Python fans, regardless.
Miriam
Pretty good, but the style was more academic that I would have liked.
Will
A highly useful examination of how Monty Python references are linked to contemporary society, culture and history... including who Semprini really was!

And now for something completely different: the last paragraph.

The last paragraph.
Lynne Cosmano
very comprehensive
David Melbie
May 21, 2014 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans
Recommended to David by: Library pick
Ha! Yup, I believe that I have a Python education as well!
Pam
Pam is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Taylor
Taylor is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Harveth Gil
Harveth Gil is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Malcolm Pellettier
Malcolm Pellettier marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Tom Morgan
Tom Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Spencer Blow
Spencer Blow marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Nemo
Nemo marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Victoria
Victoria is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Maha Almojel
Maha Almojel marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Celtic
Celtic marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Oct 21, 2014
  • 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry
  • Y is for Yorick: A Slightly Irreverent Shakespearean ABC Book for Grown-Ups
  • Never Have I Ever: 1,000 Secrets for the World's Most Revealing Game
  • The Twible: All the Chapters of the Bible in 140 Characters or Less . . . Now with 68% More Humor!
  • Sorted Books
  • Hope and Sensibility
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • Bury My Heart at Fun-Fun Mountain: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Not Quite Adults: Why 20-Somethings Are Choosing a Slower Path to Adulthood, and Why It's Good for Everyone
  • Doctor Who : The Shakespeare Notebooks
The Encyclopedia of Punk Encyclopedia of Punk Music and Culture Encyclopedia of Politics, the Media, and Popular Culture Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart Mosh the Polls: Youth Voters, Popular Culture, and Democratic Engagement