American Smoke: Journeys to the End of the Light

American Smoke: Journeys to the End of the Light

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The visionary writerIain Sinclair turns his sights to the Beat Generationin America in his most epic journey yet

“How best to describe Iain Sinclair?” asks Robert Macfarlane in The Guardian.“A literary mud-larker and tip-picker? A Travelodge tramp (his phrase)? A middle-class dropout with a gift for bullshit (also his phrase)? A toxicologist of the twenty-first-century land...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Faber & Faber (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about American Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Smoke

Paul M.M. Cooper
Since making his name with the essay collection Lights Out for the Territory (1997), Iain Sinclair has pushed the boundaries of modern writing from one extreme to the other. Whether it's walking counter-clockwise around the M25 'to see where it leads', or repeatedly trying to infiltrate the London Olympic Park in the run-up to the games, he's an explorer as much as a writer, unravelling as he walks, peeling away history and literature as they settle in layers on every place he encounters.

In the...more
Brian
A relatively slim volume, 'American Smoke' is an extract from Iain Sinclair's forthcoming (2011) book 'Ghost Milk: Calling Time on the Grand Project'. Sinclair's prose is as sinuous and dreamlike as ever, and from the few pages here, which narrate a portion of an alternative US road trip without recourse to the car, I'm looking forward to reading the full book next year.
Tosh
As a reader of Iain Sinclair books, one is just on the journey that he's taking. I'm happy to have him as my guide to the underworld that is London, but now, he's on my home turf, meaning America. Not only America, but it's Beat America. Sinclair journeys to the actual locations, but more important he journeys in the text of the Beat's literature. As well as follow their footsteps. And no, since it is Iain Sinclair, we're not getting a tour like on a tourist bus - the material for him is a empty...more
Al Maki
Aug 07, 2014 Al Maki rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
The book is the story of an extended road trip by an Englishman in North America, meeting and interviewing his literary heroes, primarily beats. Gary Snyder is one of my favourite writers and when somebody publishes a book with a chapter about him I read it to see what I can learn. Not much in this case. I think it would be possible to precis the chapter in one or at most two paragraphs. Snyder could probably do it in a few terse stanzas. The book seemed to say more about Sinclair's finding Nort...more
Rose
Iain Sinclair's American journeys in search of Charles Olson, Jack Kerouac, Gregory Corso, William Burroughs, Malcolm Lowry and others. His descriptions and observations are interesting, but it is easy to get lost in his spirialing style as he does not indicate any dates, and hops from place to place at seeming random. Still it is a great experience. It was surprising to find a few nods to H.P. Lovecraft. I also enjoyed his coverage of some antiquarian book dealers.
Rupert Reynolds-maclean
I think I would have lined this a lot more if is read some of Sinclairs books and more Beat writers work beforehand. It's one of those books I've read that I appreciate but can't say I really liked and I probably would have given up had I not been on holiday with nothing else to read.
It has made me more interested in everything he was talking about though and I did like the style on which he wrote it which was fairly different to a lot of other prose.
There were some lovely moments in there but t...more
Graham Tennyson
If non of us are where we think we are, where are we? This book might make you want to check out some of the artists mentioned (Olson, Snyder, Burroughs and others) or it could send you on a journey of your own - with of without a swan pedelo! I know what it makes me want to do ...
Lesley Lawson Botez
I'm afraid I abandoned this book. It's very experimental in style which I found beautiful for short passages but heavy going for a whole book. The subject matter did not hold my attention sufficiently to carry on. Sorry
Owen
It amazes me that I've never read a Sinclair before- he strikes me as exactly the kind of writer I would read. Anyway, not really sure overall but really excellent in places, I enjoy the way he flips about in time & place all the time.
Michael
Starts strong, goes wrong.

Patrick
Patrick is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Hena Hameed
Hena Hameed marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Robbie
Robbie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rainymonday
Rainymonday is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Paul Dembina
Paul Dembina marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Aimee Apt
Aimee Apt marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Michelle Christina Power
Michelle Christina Power marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
K. L.
K. L. marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Darryl
Darryl added it
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Iain Sinclair is a British writer and film maker. Much of his work is rooted in London, most recently within the influences of psychogeography.

Sinclair's education includes studies at Trinity College, Dublin, where he edited Icarus, the Courtauld Institute of Art (University of London), and the London School of Film Technique (now the London Film School).

His early work was mostly poetry, much of i...more
More about Iain Sinclair...
London Orbital Lights Out for the Territory: 9 Excursions in the Secret History of London Hackney, That Rose-Red Empire: A Confidential Report White Chappell, Scarlet Tracings Downriver