Start by marking “Out of Warranty” as Want to Read:
Out of Warranty

Out of Warranty

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  78 reviews
If you’ve ever struggled with a health insurance claim, you’ll love Haywood Smith’s witty send-up of the health insurance industry, the drug companies, the medical profession, and falling apart ten years before Medicare. From the beloved author of The Red Hat Club and Wife-in-Law, Out of Warranty isa witty story of two lonely misfits who find exactly what they need in the ...more
Published January 14th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Warranty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Warranty

Nikki
I've given this book 5 stars for 2 reasons. First, because I love Haywood Smith's way of writing. And, more importantly, because I've spent years dealing with doctor's who can't 'plug' my symptoms into a convenient hole that fits their comfort zone. Therefore, I've been patted on my head and patronized more times than I care to count. Simply put, Haywood has very likely changed lives and restored sanity to those people reading this book who recognize their symptoms in her story and find hope in ...more
bookczuk
The basic premise of this book is amusing enough -- after experiencing astronomical expenses for an unusual health condition, a relatively newly widowed Cassie teams up with an equally ill Jack to fight insurance companies in the health care equivalent of a green card: finding a new husband with healthy insurance benefits to have and to hold and cover her health care expenses.

It may sound a little mercenary, but it was all handled in a humorous, tasteful manner. Cassie and Jack's relationship an
Junkie for the Written Word
My mom gave me this book to read. Today.

I was hesitant. It's about old people being old. It's not my normal reading material and I wasn't very interested.

I started reading it this afternoon and I didn't stop. The writing is superb. The story, about two, let's be honest, late middle aged people having medical problems that almost bankrupts and kill them, turns out to be enthralling. I couldn't put the damn thing down. It was simultaneously funny, heart warming, heart wrenching, and very human.
Ricki
I love, love, LOVE this new book by Haywood Smith! As a baby boomer with serious medical issues, too ill to work but not old enough to collect social security, this book really hit home! How many times have I sat there going through EOB statements and thinking WTF? Anyhow, Out of Warranty by Haywood Smith is a super and very satisfying read, especially if you are a person of a certain age. If you have any medical issues at all, Ms. Smith gets it SO RIGHT about the expensive and discouraging plac ...more
E
A light, funny, quick read. It was nice to read a book about a health problem that was not overly depressing or guilt ridden. The friendship theme was nice and refreshing. I also liked that the older people in the book had to let go of the many things they had accumulated over their lives so they could move on. Note to self, stop holding on to so much stuff!
Cathy Spencer
Haywood Smith's Out of Warranty was my first Christian novel, and I quite enjoyed it. The hero and heroine were in their fifties with health issues, so it wasn't your typical romance. Their characters were fully-developed with a large dollop of realism that had me turning the pages, wondering what was going to happen to them next. I would recommend it to any reader who wants to step outside the boundaries of the formula romance.
Janet
An enjoyable read! This the first book I've read by Haywood Smith. I'd heard good things and expected a fun read. I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. This book is about two quirky, interesting misfits. They have health problems and life issues going on and end up crossing paths. I wasn't sure how this would all work out or end up. It was fun to find out. I will be looking into more of her books.
Harry Lane
An engaging plot, which seems to begin by annotating some of the more egregious ills afflicting our dysfunctional health care system, but segues into a low-key romance with some Christian overtones. The story moves along at a good pace, the characters engage your sympathy, the romance is almost comic, and the religious viewpoint is never preachy.
Lin Stepp
I enjoyed my first Haywood Smith novel QUEEN BEE GOES HOME AGAIN … but I enjoyed this one less. Main characters Cassie Jones and Jack Wilson meet sitting in doctor's offices. Much of the book details their many illnesses and diagnoses and conditions … and the problems they are experiencing with healthcare, doctors, and medical bills. …. There is a little more of that than I could enjoy. … Eventually, these two decide to combine forces and marry - to solve a host of medical and personal problems ...more
Nancy Evans
This is one of those books that's just a fun read especially for those of us who are older women and "out of warranty." Made me laugh and kept me turning that pages. Cassie seems to be a compilation of just about everybody I know and Jack is just about the same. When it comes to second marriages after the first spouse has died, I think she's just about got it...you can't ever think of replacing them but you can have a very wonderful and loving relationship with a new some one.
Have read Haywood
 Gigi Ann
My Thoughts...

This was a charming and delightful southern romantic surprise. As always there are plenty of laughs and lots of heart with Ms. Smith's books. I've only ever read one of her books before, it was "The Red Hat Club" book. This storyline is a bit different than the Red Hat Club book. I have "The Red Hat Club Rides Again" on my TBR list waiting to be read. I will have to work it into my reading schedule sometime this year.

I borrowed this book from my local library. I enjoyed it enough
The concept was interesting but the execution was, in my opinion, lacking. Cassie, a widow of one year, is diagnosed with a condition for which her insurance company denies coverage. She finds herself running through her late husband's life insurance payout rapidly, as she not only pays medical bills but also must carry out extensive renovations to her home....which she cannot sell because it was left in trust to the children. OK, right there...seriously? Yes, it probably is necessary to the plo ...more
Oswego Public Library District
Recommended by Kirkus Reviews, this is chick lit for ladies in their middle years. I have heard there is about to be a tsunami of books hitting the market in the next few years that are focused on boomers and I think this is an excellent example of that. Very light and humorous exploration of health woes, learning to be a widow, dating in mid-life, elder care, and more. There are numerous issues included here that many women will relate to. There are several Christian references, but this is not ...more
Fran
Out of Warranty: Haywood Smith

Did you ever feel like the inside of an Oreo cookie stuck within the confines of the two outer parts with nowhere to go? Did you ever wonder why when you get older you body parts seem to fall apart and you cannot go to a mechanic to repair them? Life should be better and more fun when you get older. Retirement, going on vacations, forgetting about all the things you learned about bomb shelters, doomsday rooms and hardships while growing up should be in the past as y
Mary Ann Donaghy
This book made me laugh out loud, cry and I hated for it to end. I loved the way the way Ms Smith brings her characters to life. By the end of the book you feel like they are friends. I would love to see a sequel. I love Haywood Smith's books. Please don't stop writing. You make my days brighter when I'm reading a book written by you. Thank you so much.
Lisa Byrd
I picked this up in the Southern section of the library and was pleasantly surprised. This was an easy read and perfect for those of us "coming of age". Haywood Smith identifies with the old adage, 'getting old sucks', and reminds us God is not finished with us yet, even though we feel like we are falling apart.
Maudeen Wachsmith

Good but not great. Marriage of convenience story between two people in their 50s/60s who share a common ailment. Cassie is a widow and Jack a professor who bond together when Cassie helps Jack demold his house. There was a discrepancy in the part of the story in Detroit and an error (HIPAA violation given the wrong acronym). But my real problem with this book, not published by a Christian publisher, is its constant references to Christianity, God, church, etc. Yet unbelievably Cassie didn't kn
Lizpeveto
Middle aged woman ditched by husband and tries a different approach to being alone. Book is ok & there is really nothing that can mend this kind of hurt, no matter the book and storyline. Some Smith books are better than others. Would not read a sequel.

Kathy
I really enjoyed this book by a new author (for me). Lighthearted and found myself smiling as I read it. My husband walked into the room this afternoon and asked me what I was smiling about. Love Haywood Smith's sense of humor and compassion for the human soul/
Anna
A unique book--I've never read anything quite like it and was captivated. Who else but Haywood Smith would tackle serious health and economic issues and manage to make it funny, moving and poignant all at once?
Virma
This book really earned my 4 stars! I read it in 1 day because I could not put it down. Funny even though it is predictable.
Sandra
I enjoyed this book--good book about aging and health issues in a fun setting.
Gloria
Recommended by Kirkus Reviews, this is (to me) chick lit for ladies in their middle years. I have heard there is about to be a tsunami of books hitting the market in the next few years that are focused on boomers and I think this is an excellent example of that. Very light exploration of health woes, learning to be a widow, dating in mid-life, elder care, and more. There are several Christian references, but I can not call this Christian fiction as the references were too fleeting. Entertaining ...more
Marisa Gonzalez
A widow discovers she has a chronic illness which has a hefty price tag that her insurance will not cover. She goes on a search for a man to marry with good insurance and discovers the man she was looking for....a curmudgeon who is a fellow patient. This book starts out kind of slow. I considered to stop reading it but by the middle it got more interesting and the characters became more likable. While I liked this book for the most part I would probably only recommend it for an older reader who ...more
Loretta
This is a romance novel for women of a certain age. No sex - thank heaven. But I think maybe younger women might find it interesting for the information given about the thankfully rare condition that this woman suffers from, and the problems one has with doctors and insurance. This is not a downer, there is just enough humor to leaven the heavy stuff. She is downright perky most of the time and rather religious - just so you know.
Kathie O
I really enjoyed this book. I read it while I wasn't feeling well, and it was such entertaining reading. I enjoy the sense of humor that Haywood Smith uses. And, I loved the characters, Cassie and Jack. The author presented Jack as a gruff, crusty old guy. But, the reader just knew there was something there under all those layers. The unraveling was most entertaining! This was a book for pure pleasure and entertainment.
Darlene
A humorous look at healthcare vs health insurance for those that are too young for medicare and over fifty with a serious health condition. Though the subject itself may not be a funny item to anyone who has suffered at the hands of healthcare, Ms Smith must have herself must have firsthand knowledge to have spun such a lighthearted tale as "Out of Warranty".
Rebecca Holland
This novel, for me, was a first. A fictional tale centered around a health insurance claim. (Well, that is not all, but I am not going to revel much more.)

Sounds boring right?

Wrong. It is anything but boring. It is funny. It is full of easy-to-relate-to LIFE episode.

It is believable fiction, and every page that gets turned has a welcome surprise.
Maria
So loved this book. At first I wasn't sure that I would like it. Although the fictional time line is too condensed to truly be realistic it gives an altogether honest look at health/insurance problems that so many face day to day.
I grew to really like Cassie & Jack. The end result was no surprise but the storyline getting there was funny, yet so real.
Mary
Funny but sad; a man & a woman meet in the drs office. He's divorced and she's a widow. They share similar health problems and are facing huge lifestyle changes if they want to ever feel better. Lots of insight into the health care system's short falls. Do the drs or insurance companies actually care about the people they serve?
Mansfield Public ...: Out of Warranty Review by Sharon Wapen 1 1 Jul 31, 2013 07:43AM
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • Daughters of the Dust -Op/111
  • Down and Out in Bugtussle: The Mad Fat Road to Happiness (Mad Fat Girl #3)
  • The Clover House: A Novel
  • The Mercy Oak (Bay Tanner, #8)
  • Blessings of Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #4)
  • Nothing with Strings: NPR's Beloved Holiday Stories
  • Peninsula of Lies: A True Story of Mysterious Birth and Taboo Love
  • Wakulla Springs
  • Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the "King and I" Governess
  • Southern Living
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Madame Mirabou's School of Love
  • House Arrest: A Novel
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Elvis is Dead And I Don't Feel So Good Myself
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • The Melody of Secrets
The Red Hat Club Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch The Red Hat Club Rides Again Ladies of the Lake Waking Up in Dixie