Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)

Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians #6)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  59 reviews
In volume six of Olympians, graphic novel author/artist George O'Connor turns the spotlight on Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Look for the same thoroughly researched and wonderfully accessible comics storytelling as O'Connor tackles the story of the Aphrodite from her dramatic birth (emerging from sea-foam) to her role in the Trojan War.

O'Connor has outdone himself with t...more
Published December 31st 2013 by First Second

First Second Books
Jan 07, 2014 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
I'm not going to lie: when I first heard we were doing a book about Aphrodite, I was like, 'this book is going to be all filled with love and stuff, isn't it?'

Well.

Aphrodite being the goddess of love, there is some love in this book. But more than love, this book is really about power: about a goddess who's a woman figuring out her relationship to a pantheon of gods and what she can do with that situation if she uses love (for good or for ill). It's a really interesting discussion of familial an...more
Kara

Note: I received a free copy of this from the Goodreads FirstReads Giveaway.

O’Connor hits it out of the park again in his latest in his Olympians series.

Here, he examines the myth of Aphrodite – and it isn’t at all what you’d expect. This isn’t a story about love – it’s a story about power, and more than that, it’s about powerful beings making power plays.

Zeus-the-womanizer sizes up Aphrodite as she steps out of the ocean and is smart enough to realize her ability to make people fall in love...more
Shweta
After having dealt with the other Olympians, George O’Connor has chosen Aphrodite as the subject of his new book. Story told through vivid and colorful illustrations by the highly talented artist begins with The Creation. The union of Gaea and Uranus, the rise of the Titans and eventually the rise of the Olympians. Aphrodite, the physical form of love, joins the Olympians when Zeus chooses to make her his daughter. You know Zeus was cunning that way. He quickly gauged the situation where in the...more
Jordan
For a book about Aphrodite, this turned out remarkably kid-friendly and yet didn't feel overly censored or changed. Although I definitely was amused at the tries to artfully get around exactly what Kronos cut off of Ouranos that created Aphrodite. "The seat of Eros' power". (view spoiler) This round, I enjoyed the inclusion of the Pygmalion myth because I've always particularly liked that myth. At Thetis' wedding, the whole part with Eris was ju...more
Barbara
I received this book for free as a Goodreads First Read.

I've always believed that mythological figures like Aphrodite, Apollo, Jason, Zeus, Athena, Odysseus, & Hercules are the superheroes of Ancient times. They are not perfect creatures. They could be just as jealous, manipulative & vain as they were compassionate, generous, & loving. Perhaps this is why mythology translates so well to the graphic novel medium. It is an excellent way to introduce this type of lore to young readers....more
Hunger For Knowledge
I do like the idea of having mythology translated into graphic novel/comic book form as it makes the subject more approachable to the wider audience, not just for the ones who have that inner interest to all things mythology.

As one of my passions is Greek mythology, this was something I needed to read and see, especially as I was not aware of the Olympians series. In this sixth volume O'Connor turns his eye on Aphrodite, telling us a story of her birth, her marriage, her son's birth, her love de...more
Barbara
As he has done with all the other earlier titles in his Olympian series, George O'Connor tackles the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite. Not only does he portray her beauty--she's stunning in every way--but also her imperfections and carelessness. By explaining her origins, he allows readers to make sense of the complicated relationships among the gods and goddesses. His notes explain how he decided to tackle the matter of three powerful women fighting for a golden apple. For him, the question was...more
Tif
The interesting thing about this series is that even when it's not my favorite adaptation or interpretation of that particular myth, I'll read the author's note at the end of the book and gain a wholly new appreciation for the story and effort that went into researching the character. Such was the case with this volume- it wasn't my favorite in the series and I felt like it spent way too much time with other gods and myths than Aphrodite herself. If I recall correctly, I had a similar problem wi...more
Samantha
This series is great and this 6th volume won't disappoint; it had this reader thinking. As I make my way through this series I find that there are some gods and goddesses I know more about and others who I know in name only. Aphrodite is one of those goddesses for me. Her origin story is fascinating, yet I had moments where I was asking myself if I liked her as a character which was such a fun way to read this story.

The bulk of the story centers around a beauty contest starring Aphrodite, Athena...more
Kim
Although this is not my favorite of the series, it is an interesting and viable addition to a fabulous series. I love the look of Aphrodite and the stories O'Connor picked are decent. I wish he'd included Eros and Psyche because it's my favorite, but there is only so much that one can add to a book. I will definitely buy this one.

I received this as an ARC from NetGalley. Thanks!
Andrea
I won this book through the Goodreads FirstReads program in exchange for an unbiased review.

A little story how I came about actually getting my hands on this book. I first saw Hades being offered on Goodreads and as a fan of all forms of mythology, whether it be true to the classics (like this series) or brought into the modern day (like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson) I couldn't resist. However I didn't win. Then came Poseidon and I tried to win that failed. I went, "Fine!" and went out and bough...more
Aeicha
I’m a huge Greek mythology fan, so I was super stoked to dive into George O’Connor’s Olympians- Aphrodite: Goddess of Love, and found myself completely engrossed by O’Connor’s talent and storytelling.

This is the sixth volume in O’Connor’s Olympians graphic novels series, and he explores the enchanting Goddess of Love. From her dramatic sea birth to her part in the Trojan War, O’Connor vividly and expertly brings Aphrodite’s story to life. Readers familiar with this goddess will appreciate the s...more
Christopher
Aphrodite: Goddess of Love is the sixth entry in George O'Connor's Olympians series. This volume is decidedly much lighter in tone than the previous entries. It fits Aphrodite's character and what she stands for. I appreciated that O'Connor made Aphrodite alluring enough that kids would understand that she is supposed to be irresistible without making her overtly sexual. Coming on the heels of my least favorite book in the series (Poseidon: Earth Shaker), I'm very happy to see that the Olympians...more
Dolly
Feb 27, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the sixth book in the Olympians series of graphic novels by George O'Connor. It's an entertaining and dramatically illustrated version of the classic Greek mythology.

It features the story of Aphrodite, with stories of Pygmalion and Paris (before he falls in love with Helen). We also see Thetis's wedding and we are introduced to Eros, too. It also depicts the birth of Aphrodite and her inclusion as one of the Olympians.

Our girls love Greek Mythology and we've read a lot of books that fea...more
MR. D.
Reading George O'Connor's Olympian Series is a joy I cherish each time a new book comes out. It brings me back to the Edith Hamilton Mythlogy days of my youth. In Aphrodite: Goddess of Love, I liked how much of it was based on the research O'Connor has done, even the bee sting at the end. I was also surprised to discover Aphrodite is the only Greek god not directly connected to the rest of the family.

The author note's do an outstanding job of conveying the depth, thoughtfulness and care O'Conno...more
Diamond
Thank you to First Second Books for providing me with an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

I am familiar with the Olympians graphic novel series. Awhile back I purchased the Athena graphic novel and absolutely loved it. I've always loved reading about Greek myths and seeing them drawn out in beautiful colors and told a little differently (everytime I hear the myths the story changes slightly) was a real treat.
Aphrodite was painted a little differently in this. Her marriage...more
Rinn
I received this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for a review. Review also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I am a big mythology buff, as well as a fan of graphic novels, so I was instantly drawn to this book when I saw it on Netgalley. It is part of a series about each of the Olympian gods, this one focusing on the first appearance of Aphrodite, through her immortal life until her role in the Trojan War, narrated by the three of the Muses.

I wasn't sure of the target audience when I reques...more
Pınar Alsaç
Thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this book.

Although this is the sixth volume of Olympians, it's the first one I've read. The illustrations are beautiful, and the story is well told.

I think it is harder to illustrate (or re-write) a known story, especially a well-known one like this. The expectations are higher and everyone will know the story (of course!) which increases the number of criticisms. However, I think George O'Connor managed to pull that off nicely. Like I said, the illustrati...more
Andrew Shuping
Aphrodite. The Goddess of Love. The Goddess of....troublemaking? That's right, Aphrodite the Goddess of Love, is a troublemaker. Because what else is love, but something to stir the pot and create jealousy and envy...and even hatred. Not just amongst the humans of the world, but of the gods as well, for all feel the power of passion and love and anger that Aphrodite brings forth. For she has always been around. Longer than the gods, she is the same age as Gaia, the earth goddess. And while Aphro...more
Pamela
This is the first of O'Connor's Olympians GN series that I've read--I received it as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoy mythology. Like, a lot. I find Percy Jackson to be a delightful romp, and one of my favorite books growing up was D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths. I actually still recommend it to people at the library. All the time. Which explains why it's always checked out. Anyway. I've also enjoyed The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid (okay, Roman, but whate...more
Andrea J
Aphrodite is the sixth book in the series of graphic novels that explain/retell the ancient Greek mythos in a way that is both well researched but also approachable.

In this novel, the story of how Aphrodite came to be (along with the stories she was a pivotal player in such as the Golden Apple and Helen of Troy/Paris). The story is narrated from the perspective of the three charities (grace, beauty, adornment).

The books really are an excellent way of introducing Greek mythology to young readers....more
Lindsey
Like all of O'Connor's Olympian graphic novels, this one was also a treat.

Until this book, I've never really understood Aphrodite and her relation to the other gods and goddesses. In reality she is more powerful and older than Zeus and his siblings, but Zeus quickly solidifies the hierarchy by calling the goddess of love his daughter and marrying her to his son. Yes, a bit incestuous.

Like the other Olympian books, this one goes into some of the more well-known myths associated with this goddess...more
Samantha
Sixth in the graphic novel series title Olympians. Tells the story of Aphrodite, her birth from the sea, her marriage at Zeus's command, the birth of Eros (Cupid), and how she would eventually end up sparking the Trojan war because of a promise she makes to Paris, Prince of Troy. Great graphics, good story line that hits the highlights of the goddess. My middle school students love this series.
Aphrodite has always been my least favorite of the major Greek goddesses, but this was a fun way of retelling some of her major myths. I probably will read more books in the series, but only of the deities that are particular favorites of mine. I plan on buying Athena's comic, and will likely buy Artemis's book when it comes out, but I doubt I'll read the others. Overall, I didn't love this comic but it was enjoyable because I love Greek mythology.
Received from Goodreads.
Jeffrey
The Greeks of old, had a field day with their Gods and reveled in the daily drama created by these deities and you can’t say drama without mentioning the most dramatic of all the Gods or Goddeses (I’m going to call them all Gods)….Aphrodite.

Read my full review here:
Ian
The 6th in the Olympians comic book series by George O'Connor(A really nice guy according to librarian friends)and it continues impress me how he takes old myths from various sources and mixes them into a vibrant graphic format so a wide scale of people can understand the stories told in a bygone age. I also like the extra information they dd in the back end of each of the books in the series.

My favorite part of the book was a contest toward the end. Poor old Zeus always having to keep on his to...more
Ian
Wow. Aphrodite doesn't have the easiest origin to explain, but O'Connor manages it with concision. There are a few floating strands--the Charities just sort of take up space, the story ends with a shrug--but O'Connor's authorial voice and insights into the character are more than enough to satisfy.
Hannah
Honestly, I just can't get enough of these books. The drawings are magnificent, and the story is fairly true to the mythology. It is especially admirable how the author takes the time to clarify with the reader, explains bit, give the different names, and such.

Bravo! I can't wait for the next book!
Shazzer
Another solid installment from George O'Connor in his Olympian series. My kids at the library gobble these books up like candy, so I know they'll be excited for this new book, though I think it will live in YA officially. Aphrodite has always seemed to me to be tough to nail down, but O'Connor does a great job, with her origin, her place among the Olympians, and the beginning of what is one of her most famous stories (the Judgement of Paris). I do hope O'Connor does continue the story into that...more
Kirsten
Another great addition to the Olympians series. I particularly liked the depiction of Zeus and Aphrodite, and how that was portrayed, and then how it led into the golden apple contest at the end. Well done. (My library cannot keep these on the shelves - they are always checked out.)
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • Bluffton
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Explorer: The Lost Islands
  • Odd Duck
  • Teen Boat!
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • The Lost Boy
  • Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)
  • The Odyssey
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Giants Beware!
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.

More about George O'Connor...
Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1) Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2) Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4) Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3) Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)