Start by marking “Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)” as Want to Read:
Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)

Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Kjell Eriksson has made a huge splash around the globe with his Ann Lindell police procedural series. Now Eriksson is back with another stunning mystery packed with surprises.
In Black Lies, Red Blood, police officer Ann Lindell is great at solving crimes, but she doesn't have as much luck in her personal life. When she meets journalist Anders Brant, Ann thinks her luck ha
Published April 29th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Lies, Red Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Lies, Red Blood

City of Darkness and Light by Rhys BowenThe Prime Minister's Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNealThe Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan BradleyThe Outcast Dead by Elly GriffithsThe Secret Place by Tana French
Most Anticipated Mysteries of 2014
117th out of 130 books — 377 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonThe Snowman by Jo NesbøThe Redbreast by Jo Nesbø
Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries
234th out of 250 books — 541 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
Apr 12, 2016 Ann rated it liked it
I remembered reading another Kjell Eriksson book -- The Princess of Burundi and thought I had enjoyed it, but after finally working my way through the uneven pace of this police procedural, I looked it up and discovered that it didn't grip me either.

Ann Lindell is a character I somehow don't empathize with and her odd relationship with the mysterious journalist that weaves through the novel doesn't ring true, to me. What we discover about the couple along the way reminds me of something my gran
Anirban Das
Dec 12, 2014 Anirban Das rated it did not like it
Black Lies, Red Blood by Kjell Eriksson is the latest instalment in the series featuring Ann Lindell. Set is Sweden, the book starts with Lindell glowing in the light of new found love (according to her). But, no sooner had she really started feeling happy, than the “perfect man” Anders Brant, disappears from her life and apparently from Sweden without any hint as to his whereabouts or his motive. Before Lindell can figure what’s happening, a dead body with a bashed up head is found. Quickly ide ...more
Gloria Feit
Apr 09, 2016 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
Ann Lindell has been portrayed in prior entries in this series as an unhappy person but an excellent detective. In this novel she starts off on cloud nine, having hooked up with Anders Brant in a short but highly satisfactory love affair, only to be disappointed when he takes off on a trip. And soon she learns that he might be involved in a murder inquiry; no one knows how to contact him and he doesn’t respond to e-mails.

Meanwhile, Ann becomes obsessed with a different murder, that of a 16-year-
Katherine
Jun 09, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
"The plants that had worked their way up out of the coarse gravel radiated chlorophyll-deficient impoverishment and misery. It was a place of exile, a Guantanamo for plants" (3).
"It had been a long time since she needed to handle emotions like passion and hope. Regret and longing she had been able to parry with pretty good success. But this? (11).
"There the mournful existences that no one really wanted to take responsibility for or even know about, could get a meal, some clothes, and considerati
Laura Bourassa
May 19, 2014 Laura Bourassa rated it it was ok
The translation was very poor and the editing that didn't catch the poor translation disappointing. The mystery was well paced and interesting. The parallel Anne and Anders romantic thread was overdone and detracted from the characters themselves.
Carol
Nov 18, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok
I nearly gave this one star. A train wreck. Not sure what he was attempting here - trying something new? Was he reading other Scandinavian authors and emulating them (my first thought was "Is he trying to be Nesbo?") Ugh - his other novels that I have read I truly enjoyed. But this was way too long, too many characters, unnecessary sex, and navel-gazing taken to the extreme (and I have enjoyed characters' internal dialogues in his other books but in this one, it was way over done).

Also a few typ
Susan
Jul 25, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Ann Lindell, homicide detective in Uppsala, Sweden has a demanding job in which she is having increasing difficulty finding any meaning. Although journalist Anders Brant’s politics could not be more unlike her own, she is beginning to invest in their relationship. When his phone number is found in the pocket of a murdered homeless man, she hopes that he has an explanation and says nothing to her boss. As the connection becomes more and more serious, she has increasing difficulty confessing and b ...more
Linda
Jul 25, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
I've liked his previous books featuring Ann Lindell solving complex crimes, however this entry seems muddled and not nearly as interesting.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
This another in the Ann Lindell police procedural series. I did not like this one as much as the others - because Ann was a little bit too "needy" , "falling apart" in this book
Ann meets a journalist, Anders, she falls "madly" in love/lust. Then he has to leave to go on a trip but she does not know where. Then his name comes up in a murder investigation. She becomes almost catatonic - which to me seems a bit much. Instead of seeming like a strong police officer who has flaws (like most of us do)
Oct 09, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
This book was all about the personal lives of the detectives, at least for me. And I liked the direction they're heading in - both the new entanglements and the deepening of inter-departmental ties. The mystery part was a little weak. One of the two mysteries was left (kind of) open-ended; the other was pretty difficult for me to care about.

This doesn't stand alone well. However, if you're a fan of the series, this is well-written and you're going to have to read it for the character development
Doug
Apr 18, 2015 Doug added it
As with many Scandinavian mysteries the story is probably more about the personal lives of the police officers than about the crime or crimes that have been committed. In part the story explores the nature of living with a lie. That part I found interesting and good but then with the events of the story the individual is relieved of living with that lie. The better part of the story is the police procedural part but that seems to be a minor part.
Lance Wright
Jun 17, 2014 Lance Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-titles
The two primary storylines of this novel are set up well, with the one involving the lead detective probably the more interesting of the two, if also the more melodramatic. But too many points of view from minor characters mar the overall experience, adding confusion instead of clarity to the stories. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
Gary Van Cott
May 05, 2014 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
There was a long wait for this book to appear in English. It was published in Sweden in 2008 but the translation has just appeared at the end of April 2014. There are 5 more that haven't been translated yet. A good book but fairly depressing like the Wallander books. I think there are probably too many characters in this book as they are hard to keep straight.

The translation, although done by an American of Swedish decent, has a few odd sentences early in the book that I found it hard to deciph
Sherry Mackay
May 12, 2016 Sherry Mackay rated it liked it
This book was okay. More of a psychological drama than a police procedural. Lots of stuff about the police woman's love life which I found pretty boring to be honest. The characters seem odd. I am not quite sure once again if the translation lets the author down. All a bit abrupt and strange. Hard to like the characters I find.
Aug 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Sometimes, I wonder why I continue to read these stories. The characters often seem as bleak as the storyline. This one had the addition of sex thrown into the mix, but still it was dark and disturbing and sad. While I enjoy the "who-done-it" quality, the rest is so heavy and dark.
Leslie Gyi
Jun 21, 2016 Leslie Gyi rated it it was amazing
The fifth of the Inspector Ann Lindell series set in Uppsala, Sweden with some travel in Brazil as well. Enjoyed the mystery, as well as the descriptions of Uppsala. Reading the Ann Lindell series in order also lets you follow the development of her career and life.
Jon Ellis
May 04, 2016 Jon Ellis rated it liked it
My first read of this series. Its amazing how many authors have come from Scandinavia. The plot was complex and at times hard to follow as the names of the characters are hard to keep track of. Enjoyed the read but not sure I'd go hunting others in the series.
Thomas Stevenson
Oct 04, 2015 Thomas Stevenson rated it really liked it
When I read a mystery, I want a story that draws you in, keeps you interested, is realistic, and complicated enough to make you want to find out who did it. Black Lies, Red Blood does this well without making any of the characters seem too pure.
Veronica
Sep 29, 2015 Veronica rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel once I was able to get all the names straight. The plot is fast paced with unexpected twists and turns and the characters are all believable. A fun read for a police procedure series.
Robin
May 17, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Ann Lindell is an engaging though sad character, but there were, as other reviews have mentioned, too many characters and places for me to keep careful track. But i am curious to see where things go next.
Jan
This probably is a 3.5 star book. The complicated story line & difficult relationships among the characters didn't always make the smoothest of transitions from Swedish to English, but it was better than average nonetheless. I was rather confused at one point but could't put the book down once I sorted out a few key characters. (Better not to read too late at night!)
Ellen Keim
Dec 28, 2014 Ellen Keim rated it it was ok
Shelves: scandinavian
The problem may be in the translation, but I just couldn't get into the main character even though she is going through a pretty traumatic period in her life. The writing seemed stilted and devoid of emotion and there were some rough transitions that made it hard to follow the story line (maybe because there was really more than one).
Ann Tonks
An interesting array of issues (homelessness, Russian money laundering, prostitution) in a mystery with a lead detective who may just have fallen in lust with the wrong person.
Michael
Nov 03, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
Well written, but I'm not a fan of inner dialogue and that made this book almost impossible for me to read. If you are a fan of inner dialogue then this might be the book for you.
Mary
Nov 06, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
I am getting more used to Swedish names and places, but not there yet :-( Mafia is Russian. "...this concerns enormous sums of money, for another the mafia runs the economy, and third, the forces that could serve as a corrective are completely out of commission or even mixed up in it. I'm thinking about the politicians, the police, and the courts." Nominated for BEST SWEDISH CRIME NOVEL.
Lynn Kearney
Aug 05, 2014 Lynn Kearney rated it liked it
This series is hampered by clunky translation. "Fisticuffs" even when striving for something old-fashioned? I don't think so.
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Quiet and compelling narration. Richly complex female protagonist, and a narrative that is more than a mystery.
Therese Rickman-bull
Jul 07, 2016 Therese Rickman-bull rated it it was ok
An enormous disappointment. Who cares about Anders Brant's philandering, and why is Ann Lindell, the best detective on Gothenburg's police force breaking her heart over this loser? A two stars rating is generous, perhaps one star would send the message to Kjell Eriksson that he can and must do better than this ill-judged effort, otherwise he has lost this reader.
Margaret Wichorek
Oct 29, 2014 Margaret Wichorek rated it liked it
I've read all of Eriksson's books, but this was definitely not one of his best. Just too long and convoluted.
Lis
Jun 10, 2014 Lis rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Very well done -- now I have to backtrack and read some earlier ones in the series.
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Ice Moon
  • The Land of Dreams
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Spring Tide
  • The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen, #1)
  • Where Monsters Dwell
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Copper Heart (Maria Kallio #3)
  • Spring Remains
  • Killer's Island
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
Karl Stig Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer, author of the novels The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002. They have both recently been translated into English by Ebba Segerberg.

Series:
* Ann Lindell Mystery
More about Kjell Eriksson...

Ann Lindell Mystery (10 books)
  • Den upplysta stigen
  • Jorden må rämna
  • Il giardino di pietra
  • The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4)
  • Nachtschwalbe
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell, #6)
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Open Grave (Inspector Ann Lindell #10)