Start by marking “Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)” as Want to Read:
Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)

Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Kjell Eriksson has made a huge splash around the globe with his Ann Lindell police procedural series. Now Eriksson is back with another stunning mystery packed with surprises.

In Black Lies, Red Blood, police officer Ann Lindell is great at solving crimes, but she doesn't have as much luck in her personal life. When she meets journalist Anders Brant, Ann thinks her luck has
Published April 29th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Lies, Red Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Lies, Red Blood

Anirban Das
Black Lies, Red Blood by Kjell Eriksson is the latest instalment in the series featuring Ann Lindell. Set is Sweden, the book starts with Lindell glowing in the light of new found love (according to her). But, no sooner had she really started feeling happy, than the “perfect man” Anders Brant, disappears from her life and apparently from Sweden without any hint as to his whereabouts or his motive. Before Lindell can figure what’s happening, a dead body with a bashed up head is found. Quickly ide ...more
Katherine
"The plants that had worked their way up out of the coarse gravel radiated chlorophyll-deficient impoverishment and misery. It was a place of exile, a Guantanamo for plants" (3).
"It had been a long time since she needed to handle emotions like passion and hope. Regret and longing she had been able to parry with pretty good success. But this? (11).
"There the mournful existences that no one really wanted to take responsibility for or even know about, could get a meal, some clothes, and considerati
This book was all about the personal lives of the detectives, at least for me. And I liked the direction they're heading in - both the new entanglements and the deepening of inter-departmental ties. The mystery part was a little weak. One of the two mysteries was left (kind of) open-ended; the other was pretty difficult for me to care about.

This doesn't stand alone well. However, if you're a fan of the series, this is well-written and you're going to have to read it for the character development
Lance Wright
The two primary storylines of this novel are set up well, with the one involving the lead detective probably the more interesting of the two, if also the more melodramatic. But too many points of view from minor characters mar the overall experience, adding confusion instead of clarity to the stories. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
Gary Van Cott
There was a long wait for this book to appear in English. It was published in Sweden in 2008 but the translation has just appeared at the end of April 2014. There are 5 more that haven't been translated yet. A good book but fairly depressing like the Wallander books. I think there are probably too many characters in this book as they are hard to keep straight.

The translation, although done by an American of Swedish decent, has a few odd sentences early in the book that I found it hard to deciph
Jan
This probably is a 3.5 star book. The complicated story line & difficult relationships among the characters didn't always make the smoothest of transitions from Swedish to English, but it was better than average nonetheless. I was rather confused at one point but could't put the book down once I sorted out a few key characters. (Better not to read too late at night!)
Sometimes, I wonder why I continue to read these stories. The characters often seem as bleak as the storyline. This one had the addition of sex thrown into the mix, but still it was dark and disturbing and sad. While I enjoy the "who-done-it" quality, the rest is so heavy and dark.
Laura Bourassa
The translation was very poor and the editing that didn't catch the poor translation disappointing. The mystery was well paced and interesting. The parallel Anne and Anders romantic thread was overdone and detracted from the characters themselves.
Robin
Ann Lindell is an engaging though sad character, but there were, as other reviews have mentioned, too many characters and places for me to keep careful track. But i am curious to see where things go next.
Ellen Keim
The problem may be in the translation, but I just couldn't get into the main character even though she is going through a pretty traumatic period in her life. The writing seemed stilted and devoid of emotion and there were some rough transitions that made it hard to follow the story line (maybe because there was really more than one).
Michael
Well written, but I'm not a fan of inner dialogue and that made this book almost impossible for me to read. If you are a fan of inner dialogue then this might be the book for you.
Mary
I am getting more used to Swedish names and places, but not there yet :-( Mafia is Russian. "...this concerns enormous sums of money, for another the mafia runs the economy, and third, the forces that could serve as a corrective are completely out of commission or even mixed up in it. I'm thinking about the politicians, the police, and the courts." Nominated for BEST SWEDISH CRIME NOVEL.
Lynn Kearney
This series is hampered by clunky translation. "Fisticuffs" even when striving for something old-fashioned? I don't think so.
Elizabeth Manwell
Quiet and compelling narration. Richly complex female protagonist, and a narrative that is more than a mystery.
Margaret Wichorek
I've read all of Eriksson's books, but this was definitely not one of his best. Just too long and convoluted.
Linda
I've liked his previous books featuring Ann Lindell solving complex crimes, however this entry seems muddled and not nearly as interesting.
Lis
Very well done -- now I have to backtrack and read some earlier ones in the series.
Vicki
Kjell Eriksson has made a large splash around the globe with his Ann Lindell police procedural series. Now, Eriksson is back with another stunning mystery packed with surprises.

Eriksson has been nominated for the Best Swedish Rime Novel five times, and readers will find this new book in his critically acclaimed and beloved series both shocking and intriguing.

Looking forward to reading his other novels soon.

Good read!
Matthew
I probably won't be reading any more of these.
Tux
NL - Zwarte leugens, rood bloed
Terry
Impressive murder mystery from Sweden.
Monika
Nionde delen om Ann Lindell är nu utläst och jag har bara en enda del kvar att ta mig igenom. För faktiskt, det är precis det det handlar om. Att ta mig igenom. Läs mer på http://bokslut.blogspot.se/2014/11/sv...
Kathy Naff
This was not his best novel. It was one where I was very aware of the fact that it was a man who was trying to write from a woman's perspective. It dwelt too much on the protagonist (Ann Lindell)'s perspective on her relationship with a man who becomes a suspect in the murder mystery. I also found it difficult to keep track of the many characters in the novel. Having said that, since I very much enjoyed his previous novels, I would read another one by the same author.
Ian Wooder
I love mysteries and this mystery is definitely one of the best I have read.
Katrina Gonsalves
Too many characters, hard to keep straight. And why would they translate the ninth book in a series before earlier books?
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Scandinavian noir. A police procedural that leads you to answer and then says what do you think.
Janis Weltzin
Great story. I love Rebecca, the main character in the author's mysteries.
Joanne
Good, but hard to keep all the characters straight.
Susie Vavasour
What an incoherent translation!
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • The Land of Dreams
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
  • The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen, #1)
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • Where Monsters Dwell
  • Ice Moon
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)
  • Le Dernier Lapon
  • Dead Water (Shetland, #5)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • The Vault (Grens & Sundkvist #2)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • The Day is Dark
  • Under the Snow
Karl Stig Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer, author of the novels The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002. They have both recently been translated into English by Ebba Segerberg.

Series:
* Ann Lindell Mystery
More about Kjell Eriksson...

Ann Lindell Mystery (10 books)
  • Den upplysta stigen
  • Jorden må rämna
  • Il giardino di pietra
  • The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4)
  • Nachtschwalbe
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell, #6)
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Öppen grav
The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4) The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell, #6) The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8) The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7) Kjell