Start by marking “Lost Geography: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Lost Geography: A Novel

Lost Geography: A Novel

In her triumphant debut novel, Charlotte Bacon explores the transitions that sixty years visit upon the members of an unforgettable family—a Saskatchewan woman and her Scottish husband; their independent daughter who moves to Toronto; and her daughter, who lives in France with her Turkish-English husband. In settings both rural and urban, these stalwart, resilient people r ...more
Published January 5th 2002 by Picador (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Geography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Geography

daysgoby
Feb 23, 2008 daysgoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeously written book detailing three generations of a family hard-scrabbling it through life in Western Canada.

The writing in this was superb. The author's sentences were really nicely done and zinged with extra bits of information that made the depth of the book shift and change.

I was a little leery of the ending but 9/10ths of the book? GORGEOUS.

A pretty quick read as well, although I think I'll be thinking of parts of this for a long time....
Rebecca
May 10, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok
This novel started out strong, but the introduction of Osman and his family in the middle of the book detracts from the original storyline. I tried, but just couldn't reingage with the plot or characters.
Jonna
Mar 10, 2010 Jonna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like one of Osman's rugs, this novel is full of crossing strands of beautiful colors, creating a wonderful whole. Sad & lovely, full of touching moments.
Emilyrs
It started strong, and I liked the individual sections, but by the end, I felt like all connection to the beginning was lost. Beautifully written, however.
Calypso Kenney
Sep 07, 2015 Calypso Kenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful book. I loved the metaphors; it made me think of Elizabeth Hay. I also loved the repetitions between generations: birth, babies, early marriage, men, catastrophes, family, death, love, migration, etc.

A beautiful story of life. It surprised me how the choices the characters made in their early twenties were the ones that ended up affecting their entire lives. It was strange to think how one changed moment could have set the characters on an entirely different path at 21 or 2
Tamara J.
One of my favorite novels of all time!

A well crafted family saga which traces some 60 years in the life of a family with its roots in Rural Saskatchewan.

Margaret Evans, a young nurse, and Davis Campbell, a Scottish laborer who meet and fall in love when Davis becomes Margaret's patient. Ah yes, the typical love story you think. No, this story is anything but typical. The couple settles into a grueling impoverished life as farmers and have three children: Hilda, Jem and Stuart.

Hilda, who must c
Beth G
Sep 19, 2016 Beth G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Bacon's writing style and her characters. The book was a little reminiscent of a simpler INHERITANCE OF LOSS. What a nice surprise to see she is a professor at UNH.
Jen
Jun 19, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lovely and beautiful. also sad, which made it even more beautiful. the way she took you in to the lives of so many people, over so many generations, cultures and countries, and so easily wove all their stories together like a gorgeous turkish carpet.... it was truly impressive. the story itself wasn't so remarkable, but the way she was able to captivate you and take you inside the heads of all those characters... such a gift.
Malonie
Picked this one up because it starts in Saskatchewan which is where I am from. I loved the writing when the story was in Saskatchewan, the people and the way they spoke (and didn't) was so right on. I didn't like this story as much when it moved to the east and then to Europe.
It is a quiet story about how life happens and our choices determine whether we have a happy story or not.
Mary Anne
I liked the idea of this book - following a family through three generations. The story was interesting, but felt a little contrived to me to have such major catastrophies hit each generation. However, for the most part, it was an interesting read and I learned something about each generation's era and the geographical area where the family members were living.
Charmaine
The book started off great. I was captured with the writing and the story. It has three sections. In the middle of the second section I felt the author was getting lost in her own geography. By the end of the book, I was sure of it.... She had a good idea, and shared some good insights, but I was disappointed in the over-all story.
Kc
Jun 03, 2009 Kc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about this book is the idea "What do children really know about their parents?" It brings to light how much each member of family is living in their world with joys and pain that are sometimes are shared but are often not.
Bex
One of things I loved about this book was how it followed a family trough individual members over generations and across the world. All those important things people write about identity, family, palce, loss and love. well written too.
MJ
May 11, 2012 MJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of those “family” novels, not very good. Davis Campbell from Scotland, left his fishing family for the prairie of Canada. It follows Campbell and several descendants…I never cared much about anyone, or anything that happened.
Ernest
Aug 09, 2011 Ernest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a carefully written book that was sometimes frustratingly slow and other times yet rich in its depth. I do not think that one can easily categorise this book, nor do I think it will appeal to a wide audience.
Michelle
Aug 25, 2007 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I attended a great reading for this debut novel and felt compelled to buy the book due to the vivid imagery and use of words. A good reading is rather rare, not all good authors are also good performers. This is a solid novel.
Apr 06, 2008 Jennifer marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Though it's set on the Canadian plains, its subject is people of the plains, nonetheless, so I felt too familiar with the themes and people, being from the upper Midwest.
Shawn
Jul 07, 2010 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little melancholy... dark... to be a good book to read in the quiet night hours. I kept waiting for something good to happen for the characters to really hold on to!>!>
Emily
Nov 14, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written story about three generations of a family. Bought it because of the title (I majored in Geography) but it's a lovely story of family, place and growth.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I only read half of this book.
Christie
Oct 11, 2008 Christie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far a very interesting book
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Rex
Rex rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Don
Don rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Diana Nagy
Diana Nagy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
George
George rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Burning Marguerite
  • The Mineral Palace
  • Mean Boy
  • The End of Vandalism
  • Trip of a Lifetime
  • Entertaining Disasters: A Novel (With Recipes)
  • Turning Life into Fiction
  • No One Thinks of Greenland: A Novel
  • Look Back All the Green Valley
  • Middle Son: A Novel
  • The Good Patient
  • The Death of Che Guevara
  • Who Stole the Funny?: A Novel of Hollywood
  • Faces of Revolution: Personalities & Themes in the Struggle for American Independence
  • The Cowboy and the Cossack
  • Biggest Elvis
  • Secondhand Smoke
  • Back Home
205564
I first started writing when I was a counselor in a halfway house after college and I had a colleague who always wrote, "Things just fine," in the log we used to track the states of mind of our clients. Given that they were all chronically mentally ill, 'things just fine' was a bit misleading. I started trying to use the small space we had to capture what I saw and discovered the power of clear de ...more
More about Charlotte Bacon...