Start by marking “An Immoveable Solitude” as Want to Read:

An Immoveable Solitude

Erik Hash, owner of a shark diving company in South Africa, loses everything in one night--his business, his partner, and his desire to live. The victim of a violent hate crime, he leaves South Africa and takes a job aboard a private yacht to escape.

When his partner reappears after three years, he wonders if there is something left for them to rebuild. But the ocean isn't
Published December 20th 2013 by Totally Bound (first published October 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about An Immoveable Solitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Immoveable Solitude

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Review completed February 25, 2014. Probably the best three-star book I've ever read. I loved it. And I hated it.

photo 45a7a2a1-0055-439b-aa1b-b84f60bd0b17_zps823ea3ab.png

As much as I want to marginalize the bad to let the beauty shine in all its brilliance, I just can't do that. It wouldn't be fair because I want to stay true to myself. My rating simply reflects my conflicted feelings.

photo tumblr_mt28zr3RVP1rkf2rso1_500_zps3dd0b75a.gif

Barber's Adagio for Strings:

All around me the ocean swayed gently, the sun shone brightly and the world was falling apart.
I was
Vio
Awesome, Fabulous, Stunning, Romantic, everything I could ever want or dream about. There isn't a thing I didn't love about this alluring and emotional journey. It pulled me in every direction possible and ended in the best possible way. So, so, happy......

Just gorgeous, the sound and smell of the sea, the diving and the fascination with those sharks, magnificent creatures are what they are. I am siding with Erik about how mesmerising and powerful the attraction is towards them, unpredictable bu
Ami

Here I am, being a party pooper once again, giving the first 2.5-stars review of a book that so far has gotten stellar ones. But since the rating on GR is about whether one likes the story or not, I have to do it. Because the answer to that for me will be, no, I don't like it...

Let me start first with what I do love, okay? The writing is lovely. I also love the setting; there is something majestic when Ms. McAuley describes the great white sharks and the love that Erik has for the deep
T.J.
Oct 30, 2012 T.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers.

First things first, a disclosure if you will. I know the author personally. She is a friend of mine.

However, on the flip side of that, just because someone is a friend of mine doesn't mean I let that color my ratings/review of books. I have read things by people that I consider friends and have not been a fan of the work. It's just the way these things go. And, as you can all attest for those that follow me here, I rarely write reviews for books, and typically will only do so when one
Simsala
Sometimes love is not enough....or is it?

Darn book made me blush...for jumping to conclusions like the characters did. So how could I blame them for being infuriatingly stubborn, hurt without trying to find out the truth, making the wrong decisions because of being young and immature, not being able to ask how the other feels or thinks? I couldn`t...

A stunning, sometimes sad and almost quiet romance, a bumpy journey to happiness with surprising depth - multilayered main-characters who felt very
Lenore
I should have asked for a shorter chain.

This book.

This book broke my heart, and it kept breaking it into ever smaller pieces until the end. Because of Kerry.

This book made my bruised heart jolt against my chest like a scared bird crashing into a cold window pane. Because of Erik.

This book made my battered heart lodge right up into my throat and then drop into my stomach with an audible thud. Because of Kelle.

This book made me want to scream until my throat went raw. Because of Erik and Kerry.

Thi
Bev
Jan 07, 2014 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bev by: Vio
Well, where do I start??? I suppose , and then might be a suitable place. This is a absolutely stunning book, and if I could give it 10 stars, I would!

This book is about sharks ...(yes, not a shark I know, but the teeth were fierce!), two men Erik and Kerry, who seem to have a beautiful and loving relationship, until one fateful night when it implodes with horrific results, Kerry's bossy and frosty sister Kelle, and the secrets that people mistakenly keep to themselves....what's the saying 'A
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
3 totally arbitrary, still-reeling-from-this stars

DEVASTATING AND RAW

Objective rating based on literary merit: 4+

Subjective rating based on my emotional state during and after reading: 2

This is a nearly impossible book to get through without rage and frustration. Both MCs, but particularly Kerry, are self-destructive. Kerry is also selfish and immature. I was waiting for some huge epiphany, which would justify his actions to me, but I didn't find it. The choices Kerry made weren't logical, and
Isabel
Feb 23, 2014 Isabel rated it it was amazing
Before I start speaking about this fabulous book, I have to say that this is my first S.A. McAuley book, and that I fell in love with her writing! It's amazing and I will read more of her books, for sure!

An Immoveable Solitude is an unforgetable book to me! The story is so captivating that I saw myself completely entangled in Erik and Kerry's life!

I have to say that I have some conflicted feelings about Kerry, and the fact that he was a very young man, could justify his fear and his consequent b
SueC
Feb 04, 2014 SueC rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Let me get this out of my system: I am in love with S.A. McAuley.

My first experience with McAuley’s writing was with One Breath, One Bullet and I really enjoyed that. Then I read Someday It Will Be, and I thought that was absolutely amazing, and now I’ve fallen in love with An Immovable Solitude.

More specifically, I’ve fallen in love with Erik, South Africa and sharks. It’s that simple; it’s strange, but it’s true.

An Immovable Solitude is written in Erik’s first person POV with an almo
Debra
Aug 05, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-free, m-m
This was such a beautifully written, moving book. It's hard to discuss without being spoilery, but if you have read the blurb you know the basics of the story. Kerry and Erik (aka Hash) have been a couple and business partners for several years before one night changes everything.

The story that follows deals with Erik still wondering where he went wrong, why Kerry did what he did and whether Erik can ever pull himself together and really live his life again. Three years later, Erik is working wi
Trisha Harrington
1.5 stars, I hated this book. I never want to read it again!

This book was not a favourite of mine to be honest. It is a highly recommended book and has been described as beautiful. I would not be able to describe this book as beautiful. When I started it, I believed that I would love it. But as I read it I found myself frustrated and annoyed at the characters.

(view spoiler)
Mandapanda
I haven't disliked a character from a book as much as I did Kerry for a long time. What a cowardly asshole! He did not deserve to be forgiven. The author even killed off his sister in order for him to appear sympathetic but it didn't work for me. Hash was a doormat. Both men's relationship with the sister Kelli was a bit weird. Shame because the writing and settings were not so bad.
AnnaLund
Aug 26, 2013 AnnaLund rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: M/M romance buffs, good soulful people
Recommended to AnnaLund by: Con Riley
It's taken me the best part of a week to digest this book. It had me hard in its grip from the get-go, and it just NEVER let go. I'm still on a high from it, and can't seem to start a new book, because I still think about these characters daily. Uncanny. I'm still reeling with all the emotions.

I bought it over a month ago, but it's been patiently waiting in my TBR pile. Woe is me, I had no idea what I had pushed into that corner of semi-life—had I known I would have read it the same day I got i
Eva
Mar 21, 2014 Eva rated it it was amazing
An easily flowing, very well written and gripping story where nothing was as it seemed at first glance...

about beautiful sharks...

betrayal...

revelation...

and unconditional love...

A stunning, sometimes unbelievable romance, a bumpy journey to happiness with surprising depth - amazing real MCs, great dialogues, beautiful settings that came alive before your eyes.

Recommended read
Sunne
Nov 05, 2012 Sunne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a train wreck - I'm going to finish the book but only because I can't stand ending at their momentary situation. I defintely need a very very good HEA to make me at least be content again. This is not what I expected after all the glowing reviews.

I don't feel the love, I hate Kerry for leaving. I wanted to scream at him.

So - I have finished it. For me it's 1,5 stars.

The writing was good but I never got any connection to the MCs. And I really really dislike Kerry. (view spoiler)
Jess Candela
Oct 27, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is out today, and I highly recommend it: it's one of the best books I've read this year. Since this is October, and I read a lot, that's really saying something! Especially since I beta'ed it, so it's presumably even better than when I read it. Sam has said she incorporated many of my suggestions, so how could it not be better? ;) And seriously, it was a breath-taking book to begin with.

The characters are awesome and believable. The setting is unusual and fascinating. Sam has a way of
R.J.
Dec 07, 2012 R.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly beautiful...

Never more so has a cover matched a book... The cover is all quiet beauty and the book matches. Told in first person we live for some time in the head of Erik Hash and see from his perspective the terrible loss he endured and how he deals with it. A hate crime, a murder, fire and his lover leaving it's a wonder he manages to pull himself out of it.

I didn't realise what time the book was set in, and although contemporary, the ending of it is wrapped in an event that I rememb
S.E. Jakes
Feb 04, 2013 S.E. Jakes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beautiful. I didn't like Kerry at first - I was really pissed at him but as the story progressed, I really understood him. But Hash is a good narrator -- and it's not an easy book, but very worth it. Much of what happened was unexpected, but all of it showcased the power of loving someone, and how if something is meant to be, it will find a way. (trying not to give any spoilers at all :)
Feliz
Dec 03, 2012 Feliz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, tissues-required
4.75

I read this book on the recommendation of some friends who praised it to high heavens. During the first few pages, it read somewhat slow if pleasantly enough, and I couldn’t help wondering what all the fuss was about. But then, bam, disaster hit, and I was hooked. Erik’s and Kerry’s winding, rocky road back to themselves and back to each other held me captive, not lastly because of Erik’s 1st person POV narrative voice. Internal and outward conflict, raw emotion, love, hate, despair and joy,
Barb Gilmour
Nov 02, 2012 Barb Gilmour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! A South African diver and his Irish lover, running their own Shark Dive business in South Africa - how many books within this genre have that as a setting for their story? Not many, right? Not that I am complaining about all the MC's that are cops, firemen, teachers, night club owners etc but as a girl from Southern Africa married to a boy from Northern Ireland - the minute I read a little of the blurb I had to stop any reading plans and pick this book up (incredible, huh? ...more
Snowtulip
Oct 28, 2012 Snowtulip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Wow, what an emotional rollercoaster...there was so much emotion in this book. I picked it up because of the beautiful cover and am so glad, this book touched me deeply. Definately not for everyone, but it was beautiful in so many ways.
Lily
3.7 stars. In my opinion, this is certainly a highly emotional story, with unpredictable twists in the plot development, lovely depictions of scenery and its metaphorical use (including the sharks...) and a variety of multi-dimensional characters. Nevertheless, I feel the need to voice some uncomfortable thoughts about Kerry in general and how the issues between him and Erik were addressed in particular. Since I do not want to unintentionally give away unwanted information, I will just put ...more
Dumbledore11214
Edina Rose
2.5 stars (Half-liked, Half-disliked)

This book is intensely emotional and the author writes beautifully.

However, I don't like when in such a good story the conflict is solved with an accident instead of people processing what happened, talking, taking the time necessary to forgive and trust again, proving that they have changed and being patient etc. I mean, I like a good, thorough, courageous fixing, not the emotional eureka of "I love him anyway so, I forgive him anyway, He is sorry anyway, O
Ely
Jun 07, 2012 Ely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was beautiful and haunting. Absolutely loved it. I cried and felt an ache in my heart reading through Erik's pov because I felt he was telling me the story. I didn't read this as a work of fiction, but a narrative from a a beautifully damaged soul, one in which all of his imperfections make him who he is.
Sagajo
Nov 06, 2012 Sagajo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A crappy story, written beautifully.
Serena Yates
Jan 17, 2014 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
Stunning, fascinatingly detailed, beautifully written, and heart-wrenchingly emotional are all words I would use to describe this book. It took me on a true roller coaster of ups and downs as I followed Erik's life story. The loss and suffering he had to endure, the events that would have pushed any normal person into permanent depression, and his irrepressible need to survive it all had me spellbound. Add to that the amazing setting and his unusual profession of shark diver, and I have to say ...more
Ery
Oct 29, 2012 Ery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Style/prose = 5+ stars, storyline = 3, ave. =4
Vicky
Jan 15, 2015 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mm, mm-romance
An Immoveable Solitude

This was my first experience with McAuley’s writing and have now added her to my “favorite author” shelf! I was immediately drawn in to this very well written story. It emoted such strong feelings in me and I couldn’t put this down. McAuley’s writing style flowed and is very descriptive, which I love.

Although this was a sad romance and a bumpy ride to HEA, I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this book and would highly recommend to everyone that loves a good romance.

I just
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Listening To Dust
  • Mourning Heaven
  • Clark's Story (The Making of a Man, #4)
  • Butterfly Hunter (Butterfly Hunter #1)
  • White-Knuckled Moments
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • The Coil
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • The Angel of 13th Street (The Angel of 13th Street 1)
  • Breaking Point (Turning Point, #2)
  • Beginning Again (Finding Peace, #1)
  • Slide (Roads, #1)
  • Memorizing You
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Worth the Coming Home (Love's Value, #1)
  • Above All  (Jasper Swinton #1))
Sam sleeps little, reads a lot. Happiest in a foreign country. Twitchy when not mentally in motion.
More about S.A. McAuley...