Start by marking “Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Falling Through Space:...

Ellen Gilchrist

Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Enhanced with fifteen new essays, the benchmark of an acclaimed writer's spunk and sense of place

Ellen Gilchrist has amassed a nationwide following, and her readers eagerly anticipate each new short story collection and novel. The sassy and moving commentaries she recorded for National Public Radio were a large part of the original kindling for this intense interest.

In F

Published 1988 by Back Bay Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Through Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Through Space

Catherine Shattuck
I pick this up and put it down between other books, and every time I read a few entries, I am energized and inspired, as I nearly always am when I read anything by Gilchrist. She loves life and she lives it, as do her characters, with great gusto and verve. I covet this woman's spark, creative and otherwise. My favorite living Southerner.
Greta
Fun reading after having become familiar with so many of her short stories. She is a great woman writer of our time, although my mother's age she is unusually honest about her life.
Janis Williams
What a pleasure to read. Thanks for lending it, Lisa! I will buy my own copy and add it to my favorites shelf. (Its a real shelf).
Deb
My library had a display of the letters and journals of authors, and I snagged this. A really quick read, great pictures, but not as revealing as one might assume - perhaps because in the twenty-plus years since publication, the novels and stries have disclosed everything in here, and more.
W.B.
One of those great memoirs showing how a writer created a life in writing and told beautifully, memorably. Gilchrist is always a pleasure. She likes her black sheep...they are in her real life as much as they are in her stories.
ACRL
Mar 01, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Susan Campbell. Learn more about Susan on the ACRL Insider blog.
Kristin Spadafore
I really like this book so far...it is very nostalgic and reminds me of all of the years I have written in journals. Plus she's from the south and there is a pleasant laid back vibe to it.
Joe Mossa

i love ellen gilchrist. her characters have real feelings. she writes in short clear sentences which are very refreshing
compared to many writers.
Karen
Jo bought me this book years ago for $.20. I love it and read it over and over. Gilchrist is such a down to earth and insightful writer.
Amy Plum
When I was going on my post-university Southern writer rampage, Gilchrist was one of my top authors. And this was one of my favorites of hers.
Jenny D.
Having read everything written by Ellen I could get my hands on, this was a delightful look into her personal life.
Lisa
Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist (Banner Books) by Ellen Gilchrist (2000)
Vicki
I love Ellen's books. I found this wonderful!
Samantha Grabelle
Samantha Grabelle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
LR
LR marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Martha Wagner
Martha Wagner marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Carol Farrow
Carol Farrow marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Allegra
Allegra marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Sarah Marton
Sarah Marton marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Anna Schwartz
Anna Schwartz marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • The Clearing
  • Daybook: The Journal of an Artist
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Working Days: The Journals of The Grapes of Wrath
  • Naked in Baghdad: The Iraq War and the Aftermath as Seen by NPR's Correspondent Anne Garrels
  • The Writer on Her Work
  • Journal of a Residence on a Georgian Plantation in 1838-1839
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • The Last Gift of Time: Life Beyond Sixty
  • Journal of a Disappointed Man
  • A Woman Speaks: The Lectures, Seminars and Interviews of Anaïs Nin
  • Modern American Memoirs
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...
Victory Over Japan: A Book of Stories In the Land of Dreamy Dreams The Anna Papers Drunk with Love Rhoda: A Life in Stories