Start by marking “Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist” as Want to Read:
Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist

Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

Enhanced with fifteen new essays, the benchmark of an acclaimed writer's spunk and sense of place

Ellen Gilchrist has amassed a nationwide following, and her readers eagerly anticipate each new short story collection and novel. The sassy and moving commentaries she recorded for National Public Radio were a large part of the original kindling for this intense interest.

In F

Published 1988 by Back Bay Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Through Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Through Space

Catherine Shattuck
I pick this up and put it down between other books, and every time I read a few entries, I am energized and inspired, as I nearly always am when I read anything by Gilchrist. She loves life and she lives it, as do her characters, with great gusto and verve. I covet this woman's spark, creative and otherwise. My favorite living Southerner.
Greta
May 04, 2011 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun reading after having become familiar with so many of her short stories. She is a great woman writer of our time, although my mother's age she is unusually honest about her life.
Stuart
Jan 03, 2016 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned of Ellen Gilchrist from her commentaries on NPR, which led me to this book, and this book is what got me hooked on reading more of her work. Beautiful writing, widespread interests, interesting insights.
Janis Williams
Oct 02, 2014 Janis Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasure to read. Thanks for lending it, Lisa! I will buy my own copy and add it to my favorites shelf. (Its a real shelf).
Deb
Apr 22, 2009 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My library had a display of the letters and journals of authors, and I snagged this. A really quick read, great pictures, but not as revealing as one might assume - perhaps because in the twenty-plus years since publication, the novels and stries have disclosed everything in here, and more.
W.B.
Jan 15, 2008 W.B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those great memoirs showing how a writer created a life in writing and told beautifully, memorably. Gilchrist is always a pleasure. She likes her black sheep...they are in her real life as much as they are in her stories.
ACRL
Mar 01, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Susan Campbell. Learn more about Susan on the ACRL Insider blog.
Kristin Spadafore
I really like this book so far...it is very nostalgic and reminds me of all of the years I have written in journals. Plus she's from the south and there is a pleasant laid back vibe to it.
Joe Mossa
Aug 07, 2008 Joe Mossa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i love ellen gilchrist. her characters have real feelings. she writes in short clear sentences which are very refreshing
compared to many writers.
Karen
Jan 17, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo bought me this book years ago for $.20. I love it and read it over and over. Gilchrist is such a down to earth and insightful writer.
Amy Plum
Feb 28, 2011 Amy Plum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was going on my post-university Southern writer rampage, Gilchrist was one of my top authors. And this was one of my favorites of hers.
Jenny D.
May 07, 2007 Jenny D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read everything written by Ellen I could get my hands on, this was a delightful look into her personal life.
Lisa
Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist (Banner Books) by Ellen Gilchrist (2000)
Vicki
Feb 06, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ellen's books. I found this wonderful!
Jstroh1
Sep 09, 2008 Jstroh1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
Senlin Ward
Senlin Ward rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Brenda McCartney
Brenda McCartney rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Vicki Munn
Vicki Munn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Clarissa Earwood
Clarissa Earwood marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Maria Menozzi
Maria Menozzi rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Wendi
Wendi marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Betsy
Betsy is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Chris Heilgeist
Chris Heilgeist marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Stephanie Norris
Stephanie Norris rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Shane F
Shane F marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
  • No Time on My Hands
  • The Writer on Her Work
  • Bring Me a Unicorn: Diaries and Letters of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1922-1928
  • Working Days: The Journals of The Grapes of Wrath
  • Naked in Baghdad: The Iraq War and the Aftermath as Seen by NPR's Correspondent Anne Garrels
  • Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, And A Journey To The Ends Of The Earth
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...