Blank-133x176
Falling Through Space:...

Ellen Gilchrist

Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Enhanced with fifteen new essays, the benchmark of an acclaimed writer's spunk and sense of place

Ellen Gilchrist has amassed a nationwide following, and her readers eagerly anticipate each new short story collection and novel. The sassy and moving commentaries she recorded for National Public Radio were a large part of the original kindling for this intense interest.

In F

Published 1988 by Back Bay Books (first published January 1st 1987)

Catherine Shattuck
I pick this up and put it down between other books, and every time I read a few entries, I am energized and inspired, as I nearly always am when I read anything by Gilchrist. She loves life and she lives it, as do her characters, with great gusto and verve. I covet this woman's spark, creative and otherwise. My favorite living Southerner.
Greta Roussos
Fun reading after having become familiar with so many of her short stories. She is a great woman writer of our time, although my mother's age she is unusually honest about her life.
Deb
My library had a display of the letters and journals of authors, and I snagged this. A really quick read, great pictures, but not as revealing as one might assume - perhaps because in the twenty-plus years since publication, the novels and stries have disclosed everything in here, and more.
W.B.
One of those great memoirs showing how a writer created a life in writing and told beautifully, memorably. Gilchrist is always a pleasure. She likes her black sheep...they are in her real life as much as they are in her stories.
ACRL
Mar 01, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Susan Campbell. Learn more about Susan on the ACRL Insider blog.
Kristin Spadafore
I really like this book so far...it is very nostalgic and reminds me of all of the years I have written in journals. Plus she's from the south and there is a pleasant laid back vibe to it.
Joe Mossa

i love ellen gilchrist. her characters have real feelings. she writes in short clear sentences which are very refreshing
compared to many writers.
Karen
Jo bought me this book years ago for $.20. I love it and read it over and over. Gilchrist is such a down to earth and insightful writer.
Amy Plum
When I was going on my post-university Southern writer rampage, Gilchrist was one of my top authors. And this was one of my favorites of hers.
Jenny D.
Having read everything written by Ellen I could get my hands on, this was a delightful look into her personal life.
Lisa
Falling Through Space: The Journals of Ellen Gilchrist (Banner Books) by Ellen Gilchrist (2000)
Vicki
I love Ellen's books. I found this wonderful!
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Samreen Ghouri
Samreen Ghouri marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Jann
Jann marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Suzanne Huender
Suzanne Huender marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Dolly Youssef
Dolly Youssef marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Tammy Roberts-Subarton
Tammy Roberts-Subarton marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Lab
Lab marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...
Victory Over Japan: A Book of Stories In the Land of Dreamy Dreams (Voices of the South) Drunk with Love The Anna Papers Rhoda: A Life in Stories