Start by marking “A Modern Comedy” as Want to Read:
A Modern Comedy

A Modern Comedy (The Forsyte Chronicles #4-6)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  14 reviews
1929. English novelist and playwright, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1932, Galsworthy became known for his portrayal of the British upper middle class and for his social satire. His most famous work was The Forsyte Saga of which this is the second part. See other titles by this author available from Kessinger Publishing.
Paperback
Published by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about A Modern Comedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Modern Comedy

Holly
Back when I was a kid I read THE FORSYTE SAGA and then, in due course, A MODERN COMEDY. The first trilogy is all about Soames and Irene, whereas the second trilogy deals with Soames' daughter Fleur and her husband, Michael Mont. Many readers have rated the second trilogy as inferior to the first, but in my opinion A MODERN COMEDY holds up quite well to critical scrutiny. It is very different, of course, in focus and intent. THE FORSYTE SAGA shows the transition, in manners and morals, from late...more
Teresa
The White Monkey: 4/5
The story begins a couple of years after the end of To Let. Fleur and Mont are married but, even if he's very devoted, she does not love him. Instead of a marital bliss she is restless, always organising meetings and always wanting to be surrounded by the finest, fashionable and artistic society.
Soames –gosh, how can it be that I love such a character (with this kind of past)?–is still around and is meddled in a Board his son-in-law's father which is causing him great conce...more
Helena R-D
It was a proper sequel, yet lacking a bit of the furor and fire of the original saga. The one thing that I did like was that we got to know Soames and Fleur more as people rather than caricatures of villains. I did despise June before, but in this series, she grows more into her own. Holly is a bit useless and other than Winnifred and Fleur, I have to conclude Galsworthy couldn't really write women as cleary as he did the men.

Otherwise, it was a great three books that I did enjoy reading, but t...more
Olga
"Белая обезьяна"
На первый взгляд странное название, не так ли?
Оказывается, белая обезьяна - это особая картина, которую ценитель Сомс забрал из дома свеого двоюродного брата Джорджа, которая как бы олицетворяет все человечество.
- Да ведь это превосходная аллегория, сэр. Съедать плоды жизни, разбрасывать кожуру и попасться на этом. В этих глазах воплощенная трагедия человеческой души. Вы только посмотрите на них! Ей кажется, что в этом апельсине что-то скрыто, и она тоскует и сердится, потому что...more
Irene
This is the second volume in the lengthy saga of the Foresyte family. The action of this volume is centered during the 1920s in England. With skill and wit, Galsworthy paints a vivid and somewhat critical picture of the generation coming of age in England between the two Great Wars. Galsworthy is amazingly attentive to detail; we come to know these people as if they were part of our lives. At the same time, the detailed writing never becomes tedious. Amazingly, over hundreds and hundreds of page...more
Arabella
Galsworthy is at his best in the sections of the books that deal with the challenges of romantic relationships, so I enjoyed the book about Fleur and Jon the most. (As with the first section of the Forsyte Trilogy, this actually consists of three separate books and two interludes). Soames becomes a far more sympathetic character in this series as he mellows with age and with love for his imperfect daughter.
Nina
Alicia
This is the second 3-book part of the Forsyte Chronicles. I'm enjoying the series more as I get farther into it. Even though the author seems to have written the book in order to make very un-subtle commentary about English society of the time, the characters are very well developed, very interesting, and easy to sympathize with - even those characters one would not call "good."
Philip
In this companion trilogy to THE FORSYTE SAGA (and the second of the three trilogies which comprise THE FORSYTE CHRONICLES), the younger generation of Forsytes (Fleur, Jon, Val) moves to the fore - no, they're not quite as fascinating as their parents, but enough of the original Forsytes remain on hand to keep things interesting, particularly Soames, (Young) Jolyon, Irene, and June).
Roland
Jan 04, 2009 Roland marked it as to-read
Shelves: english, fiction
The edition I have is actually a hardcover, no ISBN number, published in Moscow by the Foreign Languages Publishing House in 1956.With an appendix for the Russian translation of the more difficult English expressions.

I am not sure if I will ever read it - although I wish to -, but it is kind of a treasure.
Raphael
There were some high and lows as I read through, but overall worth it because the bittersweet ending satisfied me.
Yuliana
Please see my review about The Forsyte Sage as this is the sequel to it. The best book ever.
Caryn
Fleur just lacks the appeal of characters from earlier in the saga.
Cindy Tucker
Jon, Holly, and Val my favorite characters- Michael a dear.
Kalie
Kalie marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Frances Kaye
Frances Kaye marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Pandele Ana maria
Pandele Ana maria marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Gina Reynolds
Gina Reynolds marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Elyzaveta Bateham
Elyzaveta Bateham marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • The Brandons
  • Complete Barchester Chronicles
  • The Weather in the Streets
  • The Friendly Young Ladies
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • An Unsuitable Attachment
  • The Good Companions
  • My Cousin Caroline (The Pemberley Chronicles #6)
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • A Kiss Before Dying
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • Lucia Rising
  • The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern...more
More about John Galsworthy...
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga To Let: The Forsyte Saga The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga) In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)