Start by marking “The Hidden Man” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Man

The Hidden Man

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Mark and Benjamin Keen haven't seen their father, Christopher, for more than twenty years.

He has only just begun to shed light on his life as a master spy when he is murdered in cold blood by an unidentified assassin.

Was his death connected to his MI6 past? Had Christopher uncovered a dangerous conspiracy involving his eldest son? And what were his links to Moscow, Afghani
Published 2003 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Man

Zhiqing
Having read all of the other spy thrillers written by Charles Cummings (A Spy by Nature, Spanish Game, Typhoon & Trinity Six), I was stoked to finally lay my hands on Cumming's very first novel. This debut novel painted a grim picture of contemporary intelligence world that is as compromising, ruthless and dirty as the Cold War espionage portrayed in Jon Le Carre's novels. Though not as complex and intriguing as Cumming's other wroks, it is still a very impressive debut from a former spy.
Ahsan
Pretty good. I picked this up because I'm following the author on Twitter (@CharlesCumming). And spy novels - I love em.

It's a different kind of spy novel, though. It's very much the story of two ordinary young men whose father, a retired MI6 spy, is murdered. It captures, convincingly, the portrait of ordinary people faced with unusual circumstances.

I like the writing. You feel involved with the characters' flaws, you want to hit them over the head sometimes and sometimes you want to reach out
Kevin Scott
This book was remarkably difficult to find in the US. It is not (legally) available as an ebook, it is in very few libraries, and difficult to find on Amazon or on book swap web pages. It's a good read, but like the other Cumming books it's a slow build (and it's a lot slower build than his others, which are slow to build). The first 60% of this book, until the first murder, just seems like padding to make the book get to novel-length. If you make it that far (and a little bit farther), then the ...more
David Hull
It may be because my reading of the book was interrupted a number of times but although initially I found the story line interesting, intriguing and entertaining, by the time I got to the end I was rather more confused by what I'd read than I had expected. Cummings is a recently favorite author of mine but this one won't be a memorable read unfortunately.
Marty Fried
This was my first book by Charles Cumming. I came across a review, which compared him to Le Carre, an author I liked a lot in the past and read most of his books. So that got my interest, and I can see the similarities.

I enjoyed the book, and finished it pretty quickly. There was a lot going on, and I was slightly lost at the end, probably due mostly to the Russian names, and the fact that at least one had multiple names. Also, the main English characters were two brothers and their father, so t
Lynn
I think so far I've liked Cumming's The Spanish Game more than the others.
John
Whilst I enjoyed this book, it disappointed me a little after the excellence of the two Alec Milius books and Typhoon. The set up, with an ex SIS father seeking to re-engage with his two sons after a twenty year gap takes a while to establish; but once the story moves into full spy mode, the momentum gathers, and because so many people are telling lies to everyone involved, it gets a little confusing; despite Cummings' usual crisp writing style and mastery of dialogue.
The background this time ro
Jim
Fortunately for this reviewer - but not for this review - the first Charles Cumming book I read was "The Spanish Game" - one of the most enjoyable novel's I've ever read in this genre. And then "A Foreign Country", which was even better and "A Colder War" which was amazing. After giving up on "Typhoon", I bought this paperback from UK Amazon because the Kindle version is not yet available in America and I could not wait for that.

This is Charles Cumming's second novel. It's starts with killing of
Pete
Cummings writing is solid but the uneven pacing of the novel was a major problem. The story is plodding for the first half then badly rushed through the second half. The focus of the story seemed to be a moving target as well which only created confusion.
Chris Drake
Classic Cumming

He just gets better and better. At last, after early Le Carre, we have a new gold standard for this genre.
Penny
Mark and Benjamin Keen have had no contact with thier father for over twenty years. When he suddenly appears, hoping for reconciliation, he begins to tell the brothers of his secret life as an espioage agent. His story is just emerging when he is murdered by an unknown assasin. To discover the truth and to avenge thier father's death - Mark and Benjamin must immerse themselves in a covert world where nobody can be trusted and information commands a heavy price.

never really caught the line of thi
Eric Grounds
Cracking good tale
Kathleen Dixon
I'm not really a spy thriller type of reader and can't remember why I bought this book. Perhaps I was spending a book voucher and as it was going for just $5 I added it to the purchase ...
Anyway, it's not bad - not one of those action, action, action thrillers, but plenty of intrigue and wondering what the 2 brothers were going to get caught up in. I'm sure others will enjoy it.
Hal
Ending was disappointing.
Gregg Veach
Another great Charles Cumming story; and really, that is all one needs to say. I hate writing reviews, since they kind of "spoil" the plot; so, I don't like to really review.
Francis Valletta
Not his greatest but still readable
Ebby
Ebby marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Paul Cheney
Paul Cheney marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Kimberly Jones
Kimberly Jones marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jason Parker
Jason Parker marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Bookman
Bookman marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • The Ancient Ship
  • The First Billion
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • 36 Yalta Boulevard
  • Free Agent
  • Vanishing Games (Jack White, #2)
  • My Pretty Pony
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • The Amateur Spy
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • Palace of Treason
Charles Cumming is British writer of spy fiction. His international bestselling thrillers including A Spy By Nature, The Spanish Game, Typhoon and The Trinity Six. A former British Secret Service recruit, he is a contributing editor of The Week magazine and lives in London.

More about Charles Cumming...
The Trinity Six A Foreign Country A Spy by Nature A Colder War The Spanish Game