Start by marking “Henry Wood Time And Again (Henry Wood Detective #2)” as Want to Read:
Henry Wood Time And Again (Henry Wood Detective #2)

Henry Wood Time And Again (Henry Wood Detective #2)

Fans of Dashiell Hammett, who long for days of Bogart and Becall, will appreciate Henry Wood's sleuthing.

1955, Manhattan, and Henry has just gotten the call. Mickey is dead. His long time mentor and friend, run down outside their favorite bar, The Dublin Rogue. It looks like a simple hit and run, but keen eyes notice there is only one empty parking spot on the street, and
Published April 18th 2013 by Brian D. Meeks (first published April 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Henry Wood Time And Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Wood Time And Again

Mike
Jun 03, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, when I read this book the punctuation was kind of a train wreck, which I found extremely distracting. However, I've talked to the author about it, and I'm sure he'll have it updated soon. Punctuation is easy to fix.

Something that's much harder than punctuation is writing a genre book in which the characters grow beyond their tropes and types, and that is something Brian Meeks has definitely achieved here. Even minor characters change and develop, something I don't often see. They
Bgsgigi
Oct 15, 2013 Bgsgigi rated it it was amazing
Brian Meeks novel, "Henry Wood : Time And Again" (Henry Wood Detective Series) is a very good read. From the moment I began the novel I couldn't put it down until the last word. Brian Meeks' character development brings the reader into a personal relationship with Henry, and each character Henry comes in contact with.
Transporting the reader back to 1950's New York, describing the scenes with simplicity, actually puts the pictures in one's mind clearly in focus.
The twists and turns Mr. Meeks tak
M.D. Meyer
I decided to read this novel because somewhere I read that it was a time travel story. Well, they were wrong. Ok, it has maybe five sentences involving a time travel closet what delivers newspapers from the future to help the main character solve the mystery, but that's it. So as a time travel story it's a dud. I'm not sure why it was even in the story as the author could easily have chosen some other way to provide the clues. As a murder mystery it was pretty good even if it had a slow start. ...more
Pamela Foreman
May 19, 2013 Pamela Foreman rated it it was amazing
Might I begin by saying I do like a good mystery. I enjoy watching shows like Matlock, NCIS, Perry Mason and more. Give me all day to watch Law and Order: SVU reruns and I’m happy. I love the mysteries which keep you guessing, those which don’t give away who did it during the very first chapter. Those are never fun!

If you are like me, liking good mysteries, and want a great mystery to read, then I highly suggest Henry Wood: Time & Again by Brian D. Meeks. Mr. Meeks does a fantastic job of se
Darryl Brooks
Apr 18, 2014 Darryl Brooks rated it it was ok
Randy
Mar 01, 2015 Randy rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Henry Wood series. It involves illegal art collectors and sellers, and once again Henry gets something from the future in his magical closet that helps with the case. His mentor, Mickey, is killed by a hit-and-run, and Henry's primary goal is to find who killed his friend. A woman from Henry's past reappears and becomes part of the investigation.

There is an interesting plot in this book, and his friends are involved again. Taking place in the 1950s, Mr. Meeks inclu
Ronda Reed
Oct 15, 2013 Ronda Reed rated it it was amazing
Love how Brian Meeks brings Henry to life with more emotion in this book two of The Henry Wood Detective Agency: Time And Again. Still he tweaks it with just a hint of magical realism. He nails the time era (1955) with his descriptions and characters. A great mystery read! I am looking forward to book three, "Perception"", which is in my to-read queue already. Well done, Brian!

Merged review:

If a good mystery is what you're looking for, you'll find it in Henry Wood Detective Agency: Time and Agai
Cynthia Maddox
Jan 13, 2015 Cynthia Maddox rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters. I loved the story. I think it was well written and it kept me interested. But...

I really felt annoyed about that magical closet. I know at the end of the book he gives an explanation of why he has it in there, but for a true detective novel, that's just cheating. The author is a good writer and he could have come up with a solution that didn't rely on a magic school bus... sorry, magic closet to deliver the solution to the problem.

It was a good
Glynn
Jul 18, 2015 Glynn rated it it was ok
I vaguely remember downloading this book because I had heard there was time travel in it but it turns out that there wasn't really any time travel to speak of. Although this mystery story seemed kind of interesting at first I got very bored with it by 60 percent in. The sentences were very convoluted, sometimes to the point of being nonsensical and this reflected on the story itself to the point where I was too confused and bored to care. I had committed some time to the book and it was a quick ...more
Anne Thorpe
Mar 28, 2015 Anne Thorpe rated it it was ok
I keep forgetting that the author has a gadget in his story that has no reason or relation to anything, it is just there. When I finally figured it out, I got mad and was not going to get any more of the books...but when I look for something else to read, I see that I have some of his books and I get another. Except for that mystery closet, the stories are not bad. That "from the future" device is a distraction. It just insults me every time.
Jbaes
Feb 11, 2015 Jbaes rated it really liked it
Another Totally Tantalizing Tale

Henry Wood Book 2 is as much fun as book one. Delving into the market for stolen art is entertaining if only make believe. Does the trick of having important clues mysteriously appear in a magic closet in the basement provide the author with an important crutch which simplifies closing the plot make it worthless as a mystery or turn it into science fiction? Who cares, it is a fun read. Go for it.
Nancy R Miller
Feb 08, 2015 Nancy R Miller rated it it was amazing
Another great story from the 1950s.

As always Henry and crew satisfy. If you personally remember'55 as one of the great years you will be one of Henry's devoted followers. This book won't disappoint. If you don't remember when the Dodgers were the Brooklyn bums you're in for a treat.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Aug 21, 2014 kenneth h. robinson rated it it was amazing
Old-Fashioned Detective Work Permeates This Mystery

Old-Fashioned Detective Work Permeates This Mystery

Forget about your wistfully panting female detectives - this is the real deal. It was a pleasure to read about crimes, murders, and conniving going on without the folderol of talking about passions more suited to junior high school girl secret-sharers.
Xenia Hopiak
Feb 10, 2015 Xenia Hopiak rated it liked it
I enjoyed Henry Wood: Time and Again by Brian D Meeks (Book 2). This book was kind of a cross between Columbo and Jesse Stone. This murder mystery had a few surprising twists and turns with a surprising result. Look forward to going back to reading Book 1 and then catching up on Books 3-5. Really enjoyed the futuristic twist that reminded me about the TV Series "Early Edition"
Mary L.
Dec 16, 2015 Mary L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting--especially the newspapers that appeared in his closet and let him know about things that happened in the future that helped him solve the case. Some of the characters were better written than others but he kept the story moving along and I think I will try to find the other 4 books (if he hasn't written more since the last one came out!)
Catherine
This book was fine. It revolved around famous art being sold illegally which was interesting enough. However I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters or what happened to them. I wouldn't rule out reading another Henry Wood book, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Alfredia Haynes
Dec 20, 2014 Alfredia Haynes rated it really liked it
Enjoyed as much as book #1

This second book in the series was just as intriguing and enjoyable as the 1st one. I think the closet was just the right touch to make the series memorable. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Lili
Apr 26, 2015 Lili rated it liked it
The 2nd in this series. Once again I found Henry a very likeable and believable character. Enjoyed the addition of the new receptionist who added something to the mix however I found the "closet" an addition not needed.
Kristi
Fun noir-style mystery set in the mid-1950's Manhattan. Enjoyable characters with some fun twists. The time closet is an unexpected element, but I liked it. Will keep reading more from this series. This is book two, but I was able to jump right in.
Tim Shepperson
Jul 15, 2015 Tim Shepperson rated it really liked it
Another great read

I am really getting to like these Henry Wood novels. I have read three and am looking forward to the fourth. These books keep you interested from start to finish.
Cindy
Nov 08, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Perfectly good mystery. like other reviewers I didn't get the time travel thing. But author shows promise. This is well written and well thought out. TTS-enabled eBook ©2014 Recommended for mystery readers who are sci-fi fans.
Robbie
This is the third book I've read in this series and I'm still enjoying every one. Henry is extremely intelligent and there's always "the closet"..... I rated this one 4.6 stars and will soon be reading the next one.
Linda J. Corder
Apr 02, 2015 Linda J. Corder rated it really liked it
"Eye" of Lyn loved it

This intrigued me. It took me longer than it did Henry to know Kat was the Falcon. I usually guess what is coming and when I don't, it is usually a good book/story. I wanted to know if there's really anything like the Eye of God and what it might be.
Deb
Jan 25, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing
Henry Woods once again entertains

In this second Henry Wood mystery we meet and miss old friends and make some new. This new installment does not disappoint.
Holly
Jul 17, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
Loved this mystery! Written in the older PI style (think Sam Spade or Matlock), great plot. You really don't know who did it until the end. Loved the characters.
John
Apr 24, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Well written. This was a very enjoyable book to read and I would given it another 1/2 star had it been available.
Michael
Feb 17, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Good story. I still have trouble with the closet that gives him stuff from the future, but it was a small enough part of this book that I was able to overlook it.
Jan Stanton
Apr 25, 2015 Jan Stanton rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-reading
I can't wait to read book #3. The Henry Wood series of books are a quick read that keep the reader on the edge of his or her sear.
Pxipenguin
Jan 23, 2015 Pxipenguin rated it really liked it
Plenty of characters and plenty of action. I didn't think it would turn out as it did, the the ending is satisfactory.
Laura Frye
Laura Frye rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
  • Artful Dodger (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #1)
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • The Bone Road
  • Derelict (Halcyone Space, #1)
  • Other People's Heroes
  • The Zen Man
  • Cruelest Month
  • Hexes and X's (Z & C Mysteries #3)
  • The Tower's Alchemist (The Gray Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #2)
  • Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller series, #1)
  • Death by Proposal (Caribbean Murder, #7)
  • Cool Blue Tomb (Soc Series)
  • Swift Run (A Charlie Swift Mystery #3)
  • The Sheikh's Bargain Bride
  • Highway to Vengeance: A Thomas Highway Novel
  • Crossroads
  • Bonita (Bennington, #1)
5190901
Brian D. Meeks is a graduate of Iowa State University with a degree in Economics. He is the author of the Henry Wood Detective Series and also wrote a book about the 1986-87 Iowa Hawkeyes Men's basketball team titled Two Decades and Counting: the Streak, the Wins, the Hawkeyes Thru the Eyes of Roy Marble."

He lives and writes in Eastern Iowa.
More about Brian D. Meeks...

Henry Wood Detective (4 books)
  • Henry Wood Detective Agency (Henry Wood Detective #1)
  • Henry Wood Perception (Henry Wood Detective #3)
  • Henry Wood Edge of Understanding (Henry Wood Detective, #4)

“Ordo Templi Orientis…” 0 likes