Soldier of Fortune's Downfall (Wolves of Stone Ridge, #18)

Soldier of Fortune's Downfall (Wolves of Stone Ridge #18)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Out of the Cage: Even the best laid plans can go awry, sometimes in the most wonderful of ways.

Raven cares about one person: himself—his comfort, his desires, and his freedom to do as he pleases. He’s fed up with scientist Sampson Marlow making decisions for him and ready to start a new chapter in his life. One last assignment goes horribly wrong, and he’s the one who end...more
Published May 16th 2013 by Extasy Books (first published May 15th 2013)

Riayl
Jul 22, 2013 Riayl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
I had been reading both this series and Kontra's Menagerie and around book 11 of this series and book 7 of KM I kind of got frustrated. I haven't actually checked back with the older books so it could be, and probably is, all in my mind but it felt like the books were getting shorter and had less plot and more sex. So I backed off from these. But I liked the idea of the arctic fox shifter, so I decided to give it a try. I was much happier with this one. It helped that 80% of the book was not sex...more
Sophia
I was so excited when I saw that this was to be Raven's story. Raven is one that has been an enemy of the shifters and has done bad things so I was very curious how Ms. Richards would turn him into a hero that I would like. And I'm happy to report that I did find him more than likeable.

Raven makes a deal with Miach that allows him to escape from the shifters in exchange that he will not report to the scientists what he has learned while a prisoner. Raven's good with the deal because he plans to...more
Hc Lynn
Switching back between following the events and first person mind speaking (see comments below) with a little confusing. It jumped back and forth between the two of them several times. Did have a lot of action to keep you interested and we see yet another soldier fall for a shifter. I have a feeling this will not be the last time that happens as well. Overall impression is I liked it but the sex scene was a little rough at the end with a newbie in the driver seat.
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
The ending was a bit rushed. I wanted to see the couple all settled down, not ending in a transition of sorts. I hope there's more of Jared and Raven working together in the future. Reading about them at each other's throats would be priceless. There were many loose ends that i feel the next book cannot come soon enough! :)
Beth
Phaney
May 22, 2013 Phaney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Strangely enough (given the fact that we did not get to know Liam until after the first third of the book, and there is not too much interaction between the protagonists), I’d consider this actually one of the better books in the series. Not the best, though, mostly because of the ending, which, frankly, is lame.

I really need to apologize in advance for all the probably unnecessary spoiler tags. However, since this book is so new, I’d rather err on the side of caution.

Raven here has a really fas...more
Ana
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

This was one of the more interesting stories of the series. I of course read #19 first, I really need to get my act together and read books in order, but it didn't ruin anything for me in this case.

Raven is a mercenary of sorts, not a good guy, really, but he has finally had a change of heart and doesn't want to help the scientists hunt and harm the shifters.
On his last day at the facility he scents his mate...poor Liam is totally SOL, his old skulk are homophobic asshats and the experiments...more
Kayla N. Burgess
Wow...

Ok, it had a nice.run up to the end for me.
Between this and Catting Around... I'd prefer the later
~SexyBookWorm~
The book and story was pretty good! Raven the former scientist team lackey and intel gatherer finds his mate who happens to be held in the facility.
Liam is an arctic fox shifter who seems a little timid. But his personality compliments Ravens shoot first ask questions later mentality.
The ending of this book was rather abrupt but I can see why. Everything really was covered and the story needed to end but mid sex scene might not be the place to do that. Especially since it was pretty...more
Shadowlynx Behr
I've liked most of this series so far, but feel it would be even better if each book were a bit longer. Some of the characters were so interesting that I wished I could read more about them. Also, I'm still wondering how the war with the scientists is going to be resolved, if ever. In previous books it seemed the war got sidetracked, but it was brought up here again. Still, it would be nice to learn a bit more about this ongoing war and how the characters all play into it.
Purplegirl
I love this series and I know every book can't be good. This is one of the slower ones. I didn't buy the storyline. Raven and Liam just didn't do it for me. I don't know if it is a setup for a new series because there didn't seem like as much interaction with the Stone Ridge Wolves as usual. And the interaction that was there just didn't seem right. I don't know, I guess I just didn't like this one. This is a 2.5 but I can't round it up.
Mary Tillman
It was hard to like Raven, even after he finds Liam, but Ms. Richards wrote him well and his change of heart is evident to the reader which allows us to identify and eventually root for him to win and be happy.
Candice
Raven and Liam. While I liked this one, I thought they needed to talk more.

(view spoiler)

Jared. YUM! Jared and Raven together...EEK! I want to see them match wits. YES, yes I do. I also wanted to know what Jared said about the swiped gun ;)
Alexandria Mesa
I really like this book. I think it's one of the better ones in the recent series, maybe because there's actually a bit more plot and story to it. I've really gotten the impression that Charlie Richards is trying to put out books too quickly and they're suffering because of it but this one's worth a read.
clear skies
There isn't much I can say about this book, a short story about a guy who handed shifter's to mad scientists. However, when he "meets" his mate all that changes and with some fanfare they live happily ever after.
Dina
More of a 3.5 but I still loved the story. I wanted to give it a four, but there's a bit of a (view spoiler).
Lis
Okay paranormal story. It moved really fast and I would have loved to see Raven and Liam a little later on. This story only spans a few days and moves very fast. Loved Liam and Raven though
Claudia
Love this serie - can't get tired of reading it.

This story was amazing and I loved Liam from the start
Roos
Finally one like the good old days: one that isn't filled with page after page of just sex!
Maya
2.5 Not my favourite of the series at all.
Susu
Loved all the series cross-overs!
Lasha
3.5 stars. Review coming.
TracyG.
May 24, 2013 TracyG. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
loved this book.
Roseanne17
Roseanne17 marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • The Omega and the Assassin (Wayne County Wolves, #7)
  • Silent Secrets (Brac Village, #2)
  • Not-So-Simple Simon (Aberdeen Pack, #4)
  • Wesley (Leopard's Spots, #8)
  • Micah's Refuge (Pack Mates, #2)
  • To Kiss a Killer (Banded Brothers #5)
Werewolf at the Zoo (Wolves of Stone Ridge, #1) Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1) Alpha's Prerogative (Wolves of Stone Ridge, #2) Accepting His Animal (Wolves of Stone Ridge, #3) Goading the Enforcer (Wolves of Stone Ridge, #6)