A Very Young Rider

A Very Young Rider

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A ten-year-old girl relates her experiences as she and her pony train and prepare for riding competitions.
Published October 2nd 2006 by Dreamhouse Publishing Inc. (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about A Very Young Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Young Rider

Shelby
My dad bought me this book when I was a horse-crazed little girl. I cherished this book as my prize possession.

The book is written about the Malloys, and more specifically, Vivi Malloy (her mother's name is Vivien) and her life as a young equestrian. The book discusses the various chores and things she had to do around her parent's farm everyday to care for Penny, and it discussed the various aspects of show life including braiding, Pony Club, and what to do when you outgrow your pony.

I loved...more
Aingeal
I love this book! The part about George Morris and his "fat rider" comment was horrible, but classic GM... Vivi's sister Debby passed away a few days ago, and it made me remember this book and how much I love it. It's unfortunately packed away somewhere right now, I need to find it! A very good read and one that I cannot wait to share with my children (when I find it). Sure, Vivi is a very lucky girl, having her horses at home and training with a good trainer and we got a glimpse into what life...more
Kara
As a huge fan of Jill Krementz' series this one bugged me the most. I was also a teen equestrian so I would like to have related to Vivian's experiences. But Vivi never has to get up at 5AM and be driven by a grouchy parent an hour to the stables where she has to muck the stalls in exchange for room and board. Her family is insanely rich, they have their own riding ring and all the luxuries and trappings that go along with riding and showing that most girls do not have. It does not offer a reaso...more
LaDonna
As a child, I checked this book out from the library over and over again. Jill Krementz has a whole series of "Very Young" books that chronicle a year in the life of a gymnast, dancer, actress, etc. But "A Very Young Rider" was always my favorite, due in no small part to my obsession with horses, but also because of Krementz's compelling black and white photographs.

As an adult, I found the book unexpectedly in a used bookstore, and was overwhelmed with childhood memories. It now has a special pl...more
Hollie
I LOVE this book! I read it about a million times as a child, and it prepared me for having my own horse when I was ten years old. I recently bought the book again, and my own daughter is transfixed. Wonderful photographs and story, still fun thirty years later!
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jul 30, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Ata Amlashi
Ata Amlashi marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Sarah Kassabian
Sarah Kassabian marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Very Young Dancer The Writer's Desk A Very Young Gymnast A Very Young Skater How It Feels to Be Adopted