Start by marking “Yami no Matsuei 04” as Want to Read:
Yami no Matsuei 04

Yami no Matsuei 04 (Les Descendants Des Ténèbres)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When you work for the Ministry of Hades you have to be ready for anything, even on vacation. While on their annual retreat to a Hokkaido hot springs resort, Asato Tsuzuki and company meet a pack of talking animals who serve the Queen of Snow. But now the Queen is missing and there's a vicious dragon prowling nearby. Can Tsuzuki and Hisoka find the Queen before she becomes...more
Paperback
Published July 1st 2003 by Carlsen (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Yami no Matsuei 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yami no Matsuei 04

Kati
This manga is two parts fluff, one part creepy horror, all wrapped up in a beautiful package. In the first chapter, the whole Enma-cho department goes on a vacation together. In the second chapter, they look for the Winter Queen that went missing. In the third and fourth chapter, they take part in an archery competition. But the fifth part is where it gets über-creepy with devils and zombies and murdered, mutilated boys. And the whole thing is riddled with yaoi hints and insinuations (in part fi...more
Leila Anani

This volume contains 3 2-chapter one offs in the DOD universe.

The first story is the worst and deals with the Winter Queen of some fairy dimension that goes missing. It turns out she's simply passed out eating Tsuzuki's cooking. Very very silly, although from a bishonen POV has some gorgeous scenes of the boys bathing in a hot spring!

2nd story is an archery contest between the 2 departments in the ministry of justice. Introduces some new characters and is great fun, but ultimately still very "li...more
Yati
I read all four volumes at one go (found them in my sister's collection). The whole lot was engaging enough, but really, really uneven, both story- and art-wise. Some chapters had better artwork than the others, and it's not a case of getting better as it goes along -- it continues being choppy. After four volumes I still have problems picking out the main characters from a page! It's really troublesome! Why can't the characters with black hair always have their hair shaded black all the time! T...more
Jody Mena
This series is just delightful! Bloodsoaked mysteries, intense dramatic moments, demons and death swirled artfully together with hilarity, mis-adventurous mayhem and plenty of PG-13 homo-erotic innuendo. So much fun, I can't get enough! I am in love with the characters, and the plot is great because its so varied, yet cohesive, a wonderful grab bag of twists and arcs that leave you always guessing what's going to happen next. I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume!
Viridian5
I just can't do it. Can't. I loved the anime. I want to like this series. But everybody's overwrought and it's straining too hard for The Funny and I like my guys to look like men not prissy girls. A full cast of men who look like girls would be bad enough, but they all look like prissy girls. Augh. What little I can make out of plot around my distaste of the art and descension into The Funny hasn't been thrilling me either.
Lissibith
I swear, if the whole series were like the first part of this book, it would be a cracktastically hilarious romp from one end to the other.

However, it seems to be more of the second half of this book - the weird, warped sexuality, deep violence and character actions that make no sense while wanting to be taken seriously. It's still a guilty pleasure, but this volume really showed some of the deep, deep flaws this series has.
earthy
First story about the shinigami on vacation is delightfully cracktastic and good fun. Second story is a mess of unnecessary violence and weirdly hypocritical, stereotypical portrayals of homosexuality and Catholic schools. On the upside, Matsushita's artwork is getting more consistently decent.
Naomi Moffitt
Naomi Moffitt marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Tory
Tory added it
Sep 12, 2014
Tadamono
Tadamono marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jennie
Jennie added it
Sep 08, 2014
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Monique Milner
Monique Milner marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Bo Thampituck
Bo Thampituck marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • Fake, Volume 05
  • Gravitation, Volume 03
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 3: Kafka
  • Innocent Bird, Volume 1
  • Legal Drug, Volume 02
  • Gorgeous Carat, Volume 02
  • Eerie Queerie!, Volume 3 (Eerie Queerie!, #3)
  • Hero Heel, Volume 02
  • Loveless, Volume 8
Yoko Matsushita (松下 容子) is a mangaka best known for the supernatural series Yami no Matsuei (published in English as Descendants of Darkness).
More about Yoko Matsushita...
Descendants of Darkness, Volume 1 Descendants of Darkness, Volume 2 Descendants of Darkness, Volume 3 Descendants of Darkness, Volume 5 Descendants of Darkness, Volume 7