Start by marking “Whisper Lake” as Want to Read:
Whisper Lake

Whisper Lake

In the tradition of 80’s slasher films and old school horror comes the new book from award-winning author, James Melzer.

Tasked with cleaning out his recently deceased grandmother’s cabin, Trevor and his three friends prep for a week of fun and debauchery in the woods, but when they get to the middle of nowhere they quickly realize that nothing could have prepared them for
Kindle Edition
Published May 2nd 2013 by Gemineo

To ask other readers questions about Whisper Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whisper Lake

Kasia
Feb 27, 2014 Kasia rated it really liked it
I love spending my free time surrounded by books, lucky me I had two days of nonstop reading last weekend. After finishing four books I had just enough energy to slip this novella into the mix for a nice weekend wrap up. Whisper Lake was my first Melzer read but after a taste I’m curious to see what else this guy can come up with. It was pretty short which I actually liked and the writing was crisp and to the point with just enough humor thrown in to make this realistic versus delivering me a ...more
Larry
Feb 17, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2014, 2014-best, novella
this was an awesome slasher novella. It was everything I hoped for. The only downside was all of the misspelled words.
Georgia
Jul 16, 2013 Georgia rated it liked it
Whisper Lake by James Melzer is a story that follows the usual serial-slasher formula.

First Paragraph:

"Trevor reached out his hand and turned down the stereo in the minivan. He cocked an eyebrow at his girlfriend, Sarah, sitting next to him in the passenger seat. "Wait, are you seriously telling me that women are better drivers than men? Seriously?"

PLOT

As with pretty much all slasher stories, a group of teens (in this case four) drive out to the middle of nowhere, preferably surrounded by forest
Courtney
Oct 30, 2013 Courtney rated it it was ok
Randee Baty
Mar 03, 2015 Randee Baty rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, librarything
Ok, so I'm assuming that the author wrote this as a joke or maybe to win a bet. I'm really hoping this wasn't meant as a serious writing endeavor. The blurb says "In the tradition of 80’s slasher films and old school horror." Well yes, but not in a good way. Not in a way that says "Hey, let's all laugh together at the stupid teenagers in the lakeside cabin being killed by a psycho." More in a way that says, "I want to be clever but I'm coming off incompetent."

Basic plot, teenagers who are into
Richelle
Nov 03, 2014 Richelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Amazing Novella *!
If you enjoy creepy, frightening stories .. This is a book for you..
I love love loved it !
Not a single complaint until I got to the end ..
In which; first- I don't understand the end ...
& Second- I feel it's lacking information... What happened to.... ( not going to say who) & what happened with the investigation .. Does anyone know the truth?
I got no closure what so ever ..
But still even knowing all this now I
Would I read the book !!
Loved it .. Highly recommend it !!
Brittney
Oct 20, 2013 Brittney rated it it was ok
Spooky but predicable

Whisper Lake is a book about a group of teenagers who go to clean out a pasted away grandmother’s cabin. They end up finding out that the grandmother had a little secret all her own. This book wasn’t too bad, it was just to predicable for me. It was easy for me to see where this book was heading pretty early in.
Johanna Panko
May 19, 2013 Johanna Panko rated it really liked it
A very good short horror story. Flowed really nicely and was a quick read. Four kids go to clean out acabin that belonged to one of their grandparents so it could be sold. When the kids arrive they find something else. I thought the author could have detailed better where the man came from but I still enjoyed it.
Brenda Seaberg
Sep 03, 2013 Brenda Seaberg rated it really liked it
This was what I figured it would be, but since that's what I was wanting, it worked out well for me. I enjoyed the story - very Friday the 13th for me. I found it to be quite an enjoyable slasher read.
Tona
Jun 22, 2013 Tona rated it liked it
This reminds me of a great campfire story. With all of the detail and horror, its bound to become a classic. I loved it. I am so glad that I was given the chance to read it.
Lynda
Lynda rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2013
Fredrick Rouse
Fredrick Rouse rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2015
David Roun
David Roun rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Joshua Wiles
Joshua Wiles rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Karla Cristina
Karla Cristina rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Samia
Samia rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2013
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
it was okay
Heather Prescott
Heather Prescott rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Matt
Apr 15, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Alright slasher kind of horror story. A little cliched, but a decent story overall.
Carly Patterson
Carly Patterson rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Hector Diaz
Hector Diaz rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2013
Lance
Lance rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
dorothy balestrieri
dorothy balestrieri rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
David Briggs
David Briggs rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Veronica Shawcroft
Veronica Shawcroft rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
2191246
James Melzer is the award winning author of The Zombie Chronicles Trilogy (Permuted Press/Simon & Schuster), Hull's Landing (Double J Media), Team Awesome! (Double J Media), and Outskirts (Double J Media). His short fiction has appeared in publications from Library of the Living Dead, and he is also a podcaster. Melzer resides in Pennsyltucky with his wife and daughter.
More about James Melzer...