Start by marking “Harvest of Hearts” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Harvest of Hearts
Laura V. Hilton

Harvest of Hearts (Amish of Seymour County #2)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Matthew Yoder is eager to make a fresh start as part of a swap of Amish men. He is taken by surprise when the oldest daughter of his host family comes home from nursing school for the summer. He soon discovers what a fun, feisty girl she is. When it turns to love, Shanna must decide where her true home is.
Published August 1st 2011 by Whitaker Distribution

To ask other readers questions about Harvest of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvest of Hearts

Love at first sight! Most people don't believe this can happen but it certainly does for Matthew Yoder in A Harvest of Hearts.

In this engaging novel we find Shanna Stoltzfus, having fled her Amish heritage to seek a college education in nursing, returning for the summer while waiting for her fall college term to begin. She meets Matthew, who has come from a PA amish community as part of a man swap, on her first day back home and immediately thinks he is "hot" for an Amish guy. Matthew, on the ot
A Harvest of Hearts is one of the lightest, most refreshing Amish fiction books I've read in a long time. The Amish fiction genre has really started to branch out from the "traditional" there's been a book centered around an Amish family affected by Vietnam and even a book with Amish vampires. Laura Hilton's latest installment in the Amish of Seymour series while not quite as unique as the other new releases caught my attention because the heroine Shanna, even though Amish, was very outgoing and ...more
Book Two
The Amish of Seymour
Laura V. Hilton
Releases September 2011
Whitaker House

Shanna Stoltzfus is a bad girl who is really a good girl. Just my type of person, a good person at heart with a mischevious streak, a bit irreverent, but knows what is important. Shanna like many of us does not like rules that are not steady, and often different bishops intrepret things differently, thus she is rather unsure about the Amish faith. Not unsure about God, just about being Amish
Trinity Rose
Another winning book by Laura V. Hilton. I really like her fresh new look at the Amish. In her Amish stories it tells about some Amish that have went over to being English/thinking about it or have had babies out of wedlock {that was in book one of the Amish of Seymour series}.
In book two A Harvest of Hearts you read the story of Shannah {fantastic name by the way} how she ran away from the Amish to become a nurse and also about Matthew a very strict Amish man. How they meet and what becomes of
Laura Hilton -The Amish of Seymour series-book@2 "A Harvest of Hearts"

Matthew Yoder is part of a group of men that is in a "swap" of men to leave lancaster county and make a fresh start in Missouri. He comes from a large family and knows there wont be much left for him in way of farmland and he has a dream to grow blueberries.
Shanna is a strong willed young woman who left the amish community to have a chance to get educated to be a nurse. She and her dad had always clashed about things and they
Matthew Yoder came to Missouri from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in a swap of Amish men. His desire to come to Missouri is to start a fresh life. Matthew is taken in by the Stoltzfus family until he is able to acquire a place of his own. He works for Levi Stoltzfus in Levi's furniture business.

Shanna Stoltzfus's dream is to become a nurse. She knew that her Amish upbringing would not allow her to further her education so she left home during her rumschpringe to pursue her dream. Shanna knew t
Emotionally charged and positively riveting, A Harvest of Hearts will touch your heart and stay there long after you read the last word. Hilton digs deep, uncovering layers of pain and misunderstanding in her characters. The family relationships in this book are so real! It made my heart ache to watch her characters struggle.

The contrast between Shanna and Matthew is profound -- like oil and water they shouldn't mix, but they do, though not without difficulty. I love how Matthew's steadfast cal
This is book two in a series by Laura and another great book. If you haven't read book one you will still be able to follow this series. This book brings us Shanna who has come home wondering if her father will accept her coming home for the summer. She left the Amish to go to college. When she comes back she meets Matthew who has come to the community on a swap. Hes boarding with her family. What I love is the way Shanna is torn over her old life and new life and dealing with her fathers feelin ...more
Maureen Timerman
Another great book by Laura, you meet again with some of the Character's of Patchwork Dreams which I find enjoyable. You will not have had to read this first book to read this one, all is explained.
This story is about Shanna and Matthew, and putting together two lives. One Amish girl that has gone English in order to pursue her dream of becoming a nurse, the other an Strict Amish man who wants to be true to his faith, having a wife and kids.
Through out the book you find the love of family in jus
Loved this book and loving the series. Sure cant wait till next June to read the third book; praying to read more about Shanna and Matthew in the third book.
Sure had me guessing and wondering. I could not put the book down this weekend.
I wanted to read more about Shanna and Matthew's relationship up to and including December.

Over all the book's message was: Not to put off improving a relationship and not to judge situations and or people.

Adorable impossible-love story. Great sequel to the series. Verrrry captivating and fun.
She is a nautty damsel in distress, he is an honorable hero. She wants to be an english nurse he wants to be an amish blueberry farmer. Their paths run in opposite directions but he is stubbornlly stating that she will marry him and only him. Lovelly Amish romance!'
I generally enjoy these romances that involve the Amish - and this was no exception. The author did a good job in creating a story that kept the reader engaged as well as taught us some things about the Amish way of life. Definitely recommend to others.
Kathleen Friesen
Shanna is not your typical Amish heroine, and I applaud author Laura V. Hilton for featuring such a strong character in this story. Shanna ran away from home in order to fulfill her dream of a nursing degree. She has almost fully embraced the Englisch life, and that creates plenty of tension – especially in her relationship with her father.
Matthew cannot ignore Shanna’s beauty and her sometimes shocking ways, and I enjoyed watching their two-steps-forward-one-step-back relationship evolve. His s

I am immersing myself in The Amish of Seymour series!

This is something I enjoy doing, whenever I have the time… to take a beloved book series – begin with the first one and continue in order until I’ve read the last one, with no interruptions, at least by any other story line.

Let me just say that while A Harvest of Hearts is one of my favorite books and a great sequel… Shanna isn’t one of my favorite characters!

There! I’ve said it… and I really didn’t want to say it, but she’s just so pushy, so
Rachel Brand
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one in the series, but it was still a fun, light read. I appreciate the fact that Laura allows her young adult characters to dabble in the English world without making her plots over-dramatic, as some authors have a tendency to do. Matthew learned to drive in his rumspringe, and Shanna went to college and worked at McDonalds, but neither of them gave up their values and morals. This seemed appropriate considering their upbringing and their ties to th ...more
Penny Zeller
The characters come to life in Laura V. Hilton’s second book in the Amish of Seymour Series. I adored Matthew’s character and his patient and caring personality. I enjoyed traveling with Shanna as she overcame the hurt and rejection of her past, and I wondered with her about what would become of her future.

One of my favorite parts about the book was the surprise ending and the touching closeness of the families portrayed in the book. A Harvest of Hearts leads readers to the hope of where home re
I'm not exactly sure what to write in this review. Overall, I liked the book and thought the author did a good job of making sure that Matthew and Shanna were multi-dimensional characters. But, there was something (and I can't really put my finger on it) that didn't quite sit right with me.
This was the second book in the 'Amish of Seymour County' trilogy, and I am intrigued to read the final one and see what ultimately happens with all the characters the author has created.
Judith Mullett
Really enjoyed the second book of the Amish of Seymour Series. Characters are very real and the plot was good but not a surprise. A good read full of inspiration.
I liked this book, but I think I liked the first one better. I love the theme of the Amish doing boy exchanges to get new blood in the community.
This story was so cute. This series has been different than the other Amish books that I have read. I can't wait to read the third one!
Sweet story. Easy read after reading a more intense book.
Carolyn E
I loved this book!! I highly recommend it.
Dec 10, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
JANA LOWE marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Alexis marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Toni Shiloh
Toni Shiloh marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Mindy marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
John Reese
John Reese marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Fans of Amish Fic...: July's Book- A Harvest of Hearts by Laura V. Hilton 7 22 Jul 18, 2013 07:04AM
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • Rebecca's Rose (Forever After in Apple Lake #2)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • Along Wooded Paths (The Big Sky Series, #2)
  • A Wedding for Julia (The Pebble Creek Amish #3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
Award winning author, Laura Hilton, her husband, Steve, and their five children make their home in Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas. She is a pastor’s wife, a stay-at-home mom and home-schools three of her children. Her two oldest children are homeschool graduates and are in college. Laura is also a breast cancer survivor.

Her publishing credits include three books in the Amish of Seymour series from Whita
More about Laura V. Hilton...

Amish of Seymour County (3 books)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Promised To Another (Amish of Seymour County, #3)