Start by marking “The Gospel According to Moses: What My Jewish Friends Taught Me about Jesus” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Gospel According t...

Athol Dickson

The Gospel According to Moses: What My Jewish Friends Taught Me about Jesus

Can Christians learn about their faith from Jews? This book explores some of the primary differences between Christianity and Judaism--as well as the common ground.
ebook
Published May 1st 2003 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Moses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Moses

Josh Meares
The Gospel According To Moses is a pretty sharp book by a pretty sharp layman. His experience attending a Reformed Jewish temple for 5 years are valuable for all Christians. He does a good job of explaining the Jewish roots of the Christian faith. And his interactions with the Jewish congregation may put faces to a religion that many of us have not had much contact with. Dickson recitation of the church's sins against the Jews, and their quite justified fear of us, is a powerful reminder of the ...more
Don Schiewer
I absolutely loved this book...there was a sense of relief that the questions that I've wrestled with in Scripture were "OK"...this book gave me the freedom to question the Text and find that the answers are beautiful, wonderful, and oftentimes elusive![return][return]The questions that Dickson chose to use in his book are fascinating and at times uncomfortable...and then you realize that 'in God' there truly is freedom...freedom to question, to argue, to wrestle...to be in awe...[return][return ...more
Geoff Glenister
Sep 08, 2015 Geoff Glenister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of one man's journey to understanding Jews as brothers. Athol Dickson began attending Chever Torah (literally "Torah group" - basically a Jewish bible study) five years before writing the book. Dickson makes the book very personal, and it makes it a joy to read - even for someone who is more familiar with the material. I think the most important lesson is summarized in this story:

Braktheitalian
Jan 17, 2015 Braktheitalian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily the best book I've read in recent memory. It brought new ideas and, more importantly, new questions. The writing style lends itself more to reading than to studying, but the progression of thought should be enough to excite any faith-filled scholar.

This is a book which I will recommend for friends and reread for myself.
Jaret
Apr 21, 2013 Jaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book written by an evangelical layman who writes about the 5 years he's been going to Chever Torah. I thought it was honest and had a lot of good insights on how people from both religious groups see and stereotype eachother and eachother's beliefs, and why a lot of them are wrong. Although the author's dream audience would be a mix of Jewish and Christian readers, I'd wager the VAST majority of people who read the book would fall under the second category. Still, a very good read ev ...more
Deborah
Aug 07, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I liked this book a breat deal. It made me look at things from a different perspective. But I wouild caution that this book is not for everyone. Whether Jew or Christian, I wouild recommend you have some level of Biblical knowledge prior to reading the book. Natrually, the bulk of the book is based on the Tanak or Old Testament. But please do not let that deter you from reading the book with an open mind.
Debi Wittrock
Jun 24, 2008 Debi Wittrock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the similarities between Christianiy and Judaism- from a new perspective.
Recommended to Debi by: A Bible study friend
This book was so awesome. It has made me really look at Judaism and dispensationalism. As Christians we are taught "everyone needs to be saved"- but what about the promises God made to the Jews specifically? What we see as works (keeping Shabbot, keeping kosher...) they see as following the laws and ordinances God has given specifically to them.
It has changed my theology enough to make my friends crazy!
Amber
Apr 10, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very challenging and educational. This is not an easy read, and can actually be used as a Bible study, though it depends on the translation of Bible you have (I do not recommend using the NIV for this). Teaches Christians how to "wrestle with God" as the Jews have always done, and to question typical ideas of who and what God is. Have an open mind, and give this one time to really sink in.
Heidi
May 18, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an honest look at the differences and similarities between Judaism and Christianity. It also addresses (and provides answers for) some of the common misconceptions Jews and Christians have about one another's faiths. I was pleased to learn a lot about Judaism as well as discover some ideas that I can wrestle with about my own faith.
Eddie Snipes
Excellent book and highly recommended. Several times in the book I thought I would end up disagreeing with Athol, but as he explained his point, I found that we usually ended up in agreement. There are a few minor points I don't agree, but overall, I consider this book as a must read for any Christian, Jew, or anyone else.
Andre
Sep 22, 2008 Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good read. explained a lot about how judaism and christianity are alike, and how the differ. My favorite part was about the Shema, how from one jewish phrase you get the attributes of God intertwined as a whole.
Camille Turner
Mar 12, 2012 Camille Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think its an excellent book. Its great to be able to use the knowledge of anothet culture to understand God better and I love that the book addresses bold meaningful questions rather than simply a storyline
Daniel Jones
Jul 27, 2007 Daniel Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians looking for something fresh.
Shelves: religion
This is a Christian author who spends some time with some Jewish guys and listens more than talks. Sort of original. Makes you rethink Judaism and Christianity.
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Sharon_S
Sharon_S is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Alex Portillo
Alex Portillo is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Cynthia Egbert
Cynthia Egbert marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Brian D.
Brian D. is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2016
Brandon Labbree
Brandon Labbree marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Brian Chambers
Brian Chambers rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Elisabeth S.
Elisabeth S. marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Charles Hall III
Charles Hall III marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Matt Royall
Matt Royall rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • The Allure of Hope: God's Pursuit of a Woman's Heart
  • New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context
  • Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith
  • Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  • Bible History: Old Testament
  • A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew Revised Edition
  • The Body of God
  • Miracle of Scarlet Thread
  • Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
  • The Jewish Annotated New Testament
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals
  • The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life
  • Conflict & Community in Corinth: A Socio-rhetorical Commentary on 1-2 Corinthians
  • The Life of David
Athol Dickson's parents were living on the road when he was born. His first bed was a drawer lined with towels in a travel trailer. He has loved road trips ever since. Boating is a passion, too. Athol owns three boats, and once lived aboard a yacht full-time while cruising the Gulf of Mexico and the USA's Atlantic coast. But Athol's nine novels are proof he can sit still and write if he's with his ...more
More about Athol Dickson...

“Rabbi Zimmerman is away this Shabbat morning, so Rabbi David Stern leads Chever Torah in his place. Rabbi Stern is young, handsome, and possessed of a lightning quick wit. He wears his hair in the style made famous by J.F.K. His energy is contagious. The morning's discussion accelerates as he asks a question worthy of Rashi, then paces back and forth in front of the hall grinning with delight as we answer and respond with questions of our own. But a few minutes later the rhythm flags inexplicably and we sit silently, staring at our Torahs. Rabbi Stern fires off another question. No one answers. He offers a provocative observation - something controversial to stir the pot. Still, we are silent. Finally, in frustration, he exclaims, "Come on people! Somebody disagree with me! How can we learn anything if no one will disagree?"

We laugh. But it occurs to me that Rabbi Stern has offered the most profound observation of the day, and it is a very Jewish idea.

Unfortunately, most theological conversations I have had in church have been the self-reinforcing kind: a group of people sitting around telling each other what everyone already believes. If some brave soul interjects a radical new idea or questions one of the group's firmly held views, it is usually an unpleasant experience. We shift in our seats uncomfortably until someone rises to the bait. The discussion remains civil, but it seems that any challenge to the groups' theology must be corrected, so all comments are solidly aimed at that one goal: arriving at a preconceived answer.

Chever Torah has no such agenda. Or perhaps I should say all discussions have the same agenda: to explore the possibilities - all the possibilities.”
0 likes
“Rashi was trained to wrestle with God like Jacob at Bethel, to bargain with him like Moses at Mt. Sinai. Rashi's people have an ancient tradition of questioning God "face-toface, as a man speaks with his friend." [Exodus 33:11] Conversely, I abandoned my faith because it seemed I had no right to question the difficulties, much less expect answers. I had been taught to accept ready-made dogma rather than to personally take my doubts to God.

Make no mistake; I do not blame the church for my lost time. I might well have fallen away no matter what. But it is just possible that several years of painful isolation from the Lord might have been avoided had I learned at an early age this simple truth that most Reform Jews know:

God loves an honest question.”
0 likes