Wannabe: A Would-Be Player's Misadventures In Hollywood

Wannabe: A Would-Be Player's Misadventures In Hollywood

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Everett Weinberger has an Ivy League education and an MBA, but what he really wants to do is produce.

He's willing to start at the bottom-even if it means being Alec Baldwin's personal assistant-but after tapping all his L.A. connections, he still can't land a job. He even blows one interview by forgetting to compliment a studio exec on his car.

When Everett gets work as a "...more
Published August 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin

Amy Wolf
I really enjoyed this book! This poor kid came fresh out of Columbia with an MBA & thought that this would lead to a lucrative career in Hollywood. What it led to was fetching coffee & being heaped with abuse by some of the town's finest. Ultimately, he goes back to NYC, certainly the wiser for his L.A. experience. I enjoyed his lack of ego as he recounted his mishaps.
Will Byrnes
Weinberger tells of his experience trying to break into the movie business after graduating from B-school at Stamford. It is an entertaining and informative look behind the scenes at the horror that is tinsel town, where who you know, one’s word is never one’s bond, and where intelligence and knowledge always take second place to connections and style.
Jon Mason
Dec 18, 2007 Jon Mason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Fun read and true story about a guy who decided to give up his high paying career in finance to try a career in the entertainment field. I actually randomly met the author at an intimate party that a friend had about 2 weeks after I finished the book. It was very exciting for me. I also just added Everett to my Facebook friends.
Mark Moran
Feb 11, 2012 Mark Moran rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone aspiring to a Hollywood career
Recommended to Mark by: Jordan Mechner
A fun biography about an assistant who has an adventurous few years working his way up the Hollywood assistant ladder before finally coming to his senses.
Greg
Greg added it
Mar 08, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Amy Karlin
Amy Karlin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Mick
Mick added it
Apr 22, 2012
John Robertson
John Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2009