Blank-133x176
When Hope Blossoms

Kim Vogel Sawyer

When Hope Blossoms

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  50 reviews
When a Mennonite widow and her children move in next door, Tim's tentative relationship with them stirs memories of a faith he left.
ebook
Published July 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about When Hope Blossoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Hope Blossoms

Bluerose's  Heart
To be honest, when I picked When Hope Blossoms up, it was only because it was my LAST review book at the time. I wasn't really in the mood for a Mennonite story. Despite that, I was pleasantly surprised at just how quickly I was pulled into the story.

I think it's important to know that this isn't a romance, despite the fact that it's labeled as one(I think). There is a little. Very little! It's a heartbreaking story of two families healing from loss and hard times. If you're exceedingly emotiona...more
Lynne Young
I love Kim Vogel Sawyer! She writes beautiful, faith filled stories that grab your heart and renew your faith. And this book is no exception.

I can honestly say I read this book in one day. I just couldn't wait to see how it all came out. Here you have a woman, Amy Knackstedt, a widow with 3 young children, who moves from her Mennonite community to start a new life amid questions regarding her husbands death. Was it an accident? Her children are adorable and will grab your heart. Bekah, the oldes...more
Janine
"When Hope Blossoms" by Kim Vogel Sawyer is a book that I must have read shortly after it came out last year, and for the last few weeks the story has been haunting me, but couldn't remember the name or author. Today I found "When Hope Blossoms" at the library and read the blurb on the back, I knew that it was the book I was looking for, so I had to get it to re-read it.

I love the book the second time around as much as I did the first time around. The whole reflecting of ones life, forgiveness,...more
JoyAnne
A light read that I enjoyed very much. Amy Knackstedt is a widow with 3 children, she leaves her community to begin a new life in Kansas after the death of her husband which was suspicious, unsure of whether is was an accident or suicide. Widower Tim Roper is a neighbor and wants nothing to do with them Amy and her children.

Amy's irresistable children befriend Tim and his heart softens. Loved the storyline, the characters, and the setting. A wonderful book!

I received a copy of this book free fr...more
Cassie
Loved this book! Couldn't put it down! The writing was clean and expressed many similar Christian beliefs to my own religious values. The story was sweet and emotional and the characters were believable and sentimental. One of my new favourites. The title definitely suits it.
Cindy
Amy Knackstedt and her children hoped that Weaverly Kansas would be a new start for them. Moving away from their home in Arborville Kansas, she was hoping to help ease the hurt of the loss of her husband. At home in Arborville there were memories of Gabe everywhere and she was hoping a new town would make that easier for them all. Her neighbor Tim Roper was not happy to learn that his new neighbors were Old Order Mennonites, the faith that he had left behind when he left home. Also her children,...more
Jordan Mierek
I received a copy of WHEN HOPE BLOSSOMS by Kim Vogel Sawyer, from Bethany House. I had never read a book with a Mennonite protagonist before, so I was excited to learn about the religion and culture. From chapter two onward, I was hook. Sadly, chapter one was a little slow, so I beg you to at least read a few chapters in before making an opinion about the book. By the time I was halfway through, I couldn’t stop, and read late into the night.

Amy, a young Mennonite widow, moves to a new town with...more
TAMMY CUEVAS
Tim Roper thought he had left his Mennonite background far behind when he left home as a young man. Twenty years later, he was unhappy to learn that his new neighbors were Mennonites. He had no idea just how much he had in common with his new neighbor. Amy's life had been fraught with loss and sadness just as his had been, but instead of turning away from God, she had learned to trust Him. Would Tim still continue to hide behind the walls he had built, or would he open his heart to love?

For some...more
When Hope Blossoms by author Kim Vogel Sawyer is a heart-warming story about loss, new beginnings and what can happen when you surrender all to God.

Amy Knackstedt is a young Mennonite widow who has moved away from her old order in Ohio to Weaverly, Kansas hoping to make a new start with her three children. But her new neighbour Tim Roper, isn't taking kindly to having Mennonites living next door to him, because they remind him of the faith he walked away from many years ago. Even worse, one of t...more
Maureen Timerman
What a great read, took less than a day and I couldn't put it down. Such a warm, sweet read, filled with faith.
When Amy Knackstedt moves with her children to Weaverly, Kansas to find a new beginning. Three years ago her husband had had an accident at a Grain Mill, and the pain of loosing him, and living with the memories in her small town. She purchased a new, well older home, with some land that other Mennonites who also moved from Ohio...are going to farm.
What she doesn't know is that next doo...more
Virginia Campbell
Each of us observes our faith in our way, just as we deal with grief as best we can in our own personal manner. The loss of loved ones may result in a loss of faith, or it may send one into deep religious contemplation--"prayer without ceasing". Children and adults may also see death in a very different light, and often the adults cannot answer the simple, powerful questions that only a child will ask. Young widow Amy Knackstedt and her three children leave behind the life they have known in Ohi...more
Kathryn
Little slow at the start, but was a touching read about living the Mennonite faith, it's demands as well as the positive aspects it can bring to raising children and becoming a responsible, able adult in the community. It was very realistic in that the teenager, Bekka is questioning her faith after her move due to her father's death by accident or personal choice it is still a question. She is wondering why she has to be different and if those differences are for her.
Her mother, Amy is dealing w...more
Ruth Hill
When I picked up this book, I was expecting to read about Mennonites as I understood them--ones who were not that different from me. I was always of the opinion that the Mennonites were more "normal" than the Amish. But I quickly learned how wrong I was. There is such a thing called "Old Order Mennonites," and this book prompted my doing some searching on my own, and I discovered that the Amish and Mennonites came from the same source, and I felt like this book pushed me to learn more about thes...more
Itsjustme-wendy
Well, I just love Kim Vogel Sawyer! I have read several books by her and have several others in "the waiting". I always get excited when she has a new book coming out. If you like nice sweet easy to read stories that have a nice Christian background - I highly recommend this author.

This story is nothing earth shaking, it is not "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" writing but it is a very nice, simple, and very entertaining read!
I always love the characters Kim puts in her books. They are always people...more
Abbie
Amy has moved to Weaverly Kansas to start fresh. Her husband had been killed in a accident a few years earlier and there are questions about it really being an accident or suicide. She hopes that a new town will help her and her three kids to heal and move on. They soon meet Tim who owns a orchard right next door. Tim used to be a Mennonite as well and is not happy to see Mennonites moving into his area. He soon finds himself spending time with Amy and her kids and it opens old wounds and just m...more
Pat Dyer
Amy Knackstedt moved her family to Weaverly, Kansas, a community of both Mennonite and non-Mennonite residents. While trying to settle into their new home, she encounters her next-door neighbor, a seemingly grouchy man who warns her to keep her children at home and out of his orchard. What transpires afterward is a heartwarming story of loss, forgiveness and healing.

Notes About the Characters in This Book:
Amy Knackstedt, deeply committed to the Christ and a member of an Old Mennonite Order, fin...more
Paula-O
When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Amy Knackstedt newly widowed is moving with her family to Kansas hoping a new start will help provide a better future for her three children. Arriving she meets her new neighbor who runs an apple orchard, Tim Roper.
Tim left his Mennonite faith many years ago never looking back and is not pleased that his new neighbors are a Mennonite family.
The children meet their new neigbor first and not under the best of circumstances....
Tim still remembers many of the th...more
Wanda
Mennonite widow Amy Knackstedt and her three children have moved to Weaverly, Kansas to try to get a fresh start after the death of her husband. As they settle into the old farm house they bought, they discover that they have a new neighbor who runs an orchard on the property next to theirs. The children take to Tim Roper immediately and a friendship slowly develops between all of them. Amy is surprised to learn that Tim is a former Mennonite who has left the faith and is dealing with his own lo...more
Wendy
Amy Knackstedt is looking for a new start in Weaverly, Kansas after losing her husband in a grain elevator accident. She hopes to leave the questions behind as to the reason for his death, the insurance has paid her and she wants to move on with her three children. With the help of her community they helped her to find a house and get her moved, now she won't have to face the questioning looks, whispers and turned heads when she walks down the street.

When Tim Roper, a former Mennonite, left home...more
Casey
A contemporary love story that I wouldn’t really call a romance, but a story that takes the heart of two characters and steadily draws them closer together.

I thought the setting, a small Mennonite community and one bitter young man, was an interesting take on the “bonnet” fiction sect. I enjoyed that each character brought a struggle to the plot that crafted a sweet and surprising ending.

Why don’t I call this novel a romance? Mainly because the story kept me in limbo the entire time, wonderin...more
Cindy Navarro
Once again, Kim Vogel Sawyer has written a book filled with characters that captured my imagination and a piece of my heart. Both Amy and Tim have suffered tragic losses in their lives, yet Amy found strength in her faith and Tim wandered a bit from his. To watch her steadfast determination to accept whatever comes her way, work to provide for her family by using her talents, and to trust in the Lord is surely a symbol of hope to other women. Tim was also an encouragement to others who have buil...more
Ibjoy1953

When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer
For Bethany House review by Shannon Hannabass

Tim Roper thought he could run from God, hid himself in his apple trees, but when a Mennonite widow and her children moved in the farmhouse next to his, his life changed forever. But that change took a while, and the changed unfold between the pages of Kim Vogel Sawyer’s new book, “When Hope Blossoms.”

I love Kim Vogel Sawyers books, and this one is another winner for me. I love Tim and Amy’s story. Even though the...more
Elizabeth
Great book. Amy and her three kids (Mennonites) moved to a new town. Next door neighbor, Tim wasn't crazy about them, especially since he left the Mennonite faith years ago. But they all started to spend time with one another and helped one another. Love sparked for Amy and Tim and they ended up together. Tim going back to the Mennonite faith.
Jodie Wolfe
I was swept away as I began When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer. I entered the world of young Old Order Mennonite widow Amy Knackstedt, trying to raise three young children on her own. The family settles down in a new town, hoping to get over the pain and loss of the husband and father.

Tim Roper, their nearest neighbor, doesn't want any reminders of the faith that he left many years ago. Nor does he want to be attached to anyone after the loss of his wife and son, but the neighbor children ha...more
Janie  R.

It's been awhile since I have read a book by Kim Vogel Sawyer, that I had forgotten how much I enjoy her writing! I had a hard time putting this book down! This story is about a Mennonite family struggling to survive after the loss of a family member. There is also another character in the story who is an ex-Mennonite, and his surmounting grieve over a loss has completely changed his life. Is there hope for him, in his faith,in loving others, in moving on and and feeling happy?
This story gives...more
Tina
I always enjoy kicking back with a cup of coffee and reading a Kim Vogel Sawyer book, knowing I will get an old-fashioned read and a happy ending, but with a twist of realism that I can either relate to or that will make me think in a new, hopeful direction. I suppose that WHEN HOPE BLOSSOMS might at first seem like an expected story in the Mennonite category, but it only takes a few pages to see that Kim doesn't want to give readers just any categorical romance in the Amish and Mennonite genre....more
Linda
I couldn't put this book down. Tim left his faith then lost his wife and special needs child in an auto accident. Amy was holding her family together barley when an accident took the life of her husband. One of her children was also a special needs child too. God had a plan as He always does.
Heidi
Amy moves to Waverley, Kansas with her three Mennonite children for a fresh start. Tim is still trying to heal from losing his wife and son and dealing with the issues from leaving his Mennonite faith. Having Amy and Tim become neighbors was God's work. They both helped each other, and Amy's children, without realizing it.

I loved reading more about the Mennonite faith and did enjoy all the divine interventions throughout the book. I also enjoyed that this was a well-written and clean book by Kim...more
Tima
Amy moves her little family to Weaverly, KS hoping to get a fresh start after the death of her husband. She unknowingly moves next door to Tim, a man who has left the Mennonite faith. Their paths keep crossing and Amy keeps praying that God will soften Tim's heart.

Summer heat and a simpler lifestyle helped make this a very slow, meandering story for me. The information was there enticing me to care about the characters, but the shallow depth and lack of romantic plot had me completely indifferen...more
Elizabeth Dyck
The story of Amy Knackstedt and her children. They move to Weaverly, Kanses after Amy’s husband dies. Amy wants to make a new start for her family.

But she didn’t count on having a hostile neighbor. Tim Roper hates anything to do with the Mennonite people. Yet he can’t help being drawn to Parker, Amy’s son.

Though I hadn’t read any of Kim’s books before, I really enjoyed this book. She weaves a little romance in with the plot of the story.

I think my favorite character was Bekah, Amy’s oldest daugh...more
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Almost Amish
  • His Love Endures Forever (Land of Canaan Series #3)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • The Haven (Stoney Ridge Seasons #2)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • Lydia's Hope (The Lost Sisters of Pleasant Valley #1)
  • Reckless Heart
  • An Uncommon Grace: A Novel
  • The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow, #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
Kim Vogel Sawyer is the author of fifteen novels, including several CBA and ECPA bestsellers. Her books have won the ACFW Book of the Year Award, the Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence, and the Inspirational Readers Choice Award. Kim is active in her church, where she leads women's fellowship and participates in both voice and bell choirs. In her spare time, she enjoys drama, quilting, and calligrap...more
More about Kim Vogel Sawyer...
My Heart Remembers Waiting for Summer's Return (Ollenberger, #1) Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6) A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3) Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie #8)