Start by marking “Valley of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Valley of Dreams

Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,350 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
As one woman tries to find the hidden valley of her father's dreams in the 1906 Black Hills, she also discovers courage, faith--and romance.
Published November 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

Angelc
Sep 26, 2011 Angelc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-own-read
I am a huge fan of this author, and when I found out she was writing about a Wild West show, I knew I had to read it! It wasn't as much about the show itself, but more about the core characters leaving the show to find the Valley of Dreams. But still, with the heroine and her sharpshooting skills, her gorgeous, attention getting pony, and even a buffalo too old to perform anymore, there were enough references to the show to satisfy me.

The only drawback to the book for me was that it didn't feel
Elsie
Nov 07, 2011 Elsie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, dnf
Well, I think this is a first for me.... unfortunately. I didn't even finish this book. I was pretty excited to read it, I thought it had a lot of potential from the back cover summary, but....

Honestly, I was trudging through this book, hoping it was going to pick up some speed and then I had some friends over, cleaned my house and somehow misplaced the book. The bad part was that I wasn't upset that I lost it, because I was so bored with the story by then.

The problem? The main character, Addy,
Wendy
Sep 27, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cassie Lockwood grew up in a traveling Wild West Show, she is an amazingly skillful trick rider and sharpshooter. Her parents have both passed away and she has continued to travel with the show with "Uncle" Jason, her father's best friend and partner, continuing to manage it. Too late Cassie finds out that "Uncle" Jason was a very poor manager and he's run the show into debt and it's about to be taken by the bank. All of the money she let him keep out of her pay is also gone, except for a roll o ...more
Renee
Sep 29, 2011 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I last read a book by Lauraine Snelling but when I read the cover blurb for her latest novel, Valley of Dreams I knew I had to give this author another try. The world of circuses and Wild West shows have always been fascinating to me so a book with an Annie Oakley heroine and furry yet talented critters promised to be entertaining. I'm sad to say I was a bit disappointed. If you're looking for a Christian Water for Elephants type story you will be as sad as I was that this ...more
Amber Stokes
Valley of Dreams has a very interesting premise, and the uniqueness of the setting and characters is commendable. Fans of all things American West should find this to be an enjoyable excursion.

Since this is the first book in a series, it's nice to have this introduction and insight into Cassie's story, as well as the Engstroms' lives. However, Valley of Dreams seems almost like a very long prologue rather than a story of its own. Cassie's character does grow a little bit, but overall the book fe
Wendy Sparkes
I enjoyed this 1st book in the Wild Winds West Series.

All Cassie Lockwood has ever known is the Wild West Show her father started. Now both her parents have died & the show's manager has run the show - amassing a mountain of debt along the way. The show has to be disbanded & Cassie is left devastated. All she has is the dream of the valley her father talked of, located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. All Cassie has to do is find that valley, & with the help of 2 friends they star
Christine Meunier
Feb 16, 2015 Christine Meunier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reading
Cassie Lockwood is a likeable character who at twenty years of age, finds herself without parents and without the career that she's grown up with and the people she's known as family. The end to the Wild West show sets her on a trip to find the valley her father dreamed of settling down in.

As Cassie travels with two companions - one who knows where the valley is - she questions what God has in store for her - does it involve a happy ending? Life as she knew it is over and suddenly she has to lea
Sarah Grace
Love this trilogy so much! Lauraine Snelling has a way of mixing the culture of the wild west in a beautiful story!
Marilyn A.Sewell
Following My Father's Dream

The mark of a great writer. Is their ability to create new and refreshing story lines. Lorraine Smelling is just that, a great writer. I enjoy reading her books. They are always uplifting. Her characters are always strong women. These strong women always have faith in God and belief that God has all the answers. Which a good lesson for all.
April
Oct 29, 2016 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty good. This book is not my usual genre but wanted to change it up a little bit. A young woman who has never had to take care of herself learns the way of the land. A little slow for me but would recommend this to my mom.
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2017 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Unsatisfying ending but loved the characters. (view spoiler) So iffy ending cost a star.
3.5 star
Should note it never sermonizes.
Sheila Holmes
Oct 25, 2016 Sheila Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed immensely. Am looking so forward to the next in the series.
Bobbie Holt
Oct 07, 2016 Bobbie Holt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Enjoyable

Valley of Dreams was well worth the read. It starts a bit slow but after you get into it, it is hard to put down. I can hardly wait to read the next book in the series.
Ria Potter
Mar 08, 2017 Ria Potter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and Full of Life

I enjoyed this one. Cassie is a likable character, there was a lot of food described in here and I really liked the animals, such as Wind Dancer and the Buffalo George. The Indians were interesting, and Ransom's family were cool, though I liked reading Cassie's parts better. The ending cuts off rather abrupt, but aside from that, the book was excellent. Four stars.
Victor Gentile
Aug 30, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauraine Snelling in her new book, “Valley of Dreams” Book One in the Wild West Wind series published by Bethany House brings us into the life of Cassie Lockwood.

From the back cover: When Cassie Lockwood’s mother died, Cassie began travelling with her father’s Wild West Show. Along the way, she became an amazingly skillful trick rider and sharpshooter, likened by some to the famous Annie Oakley. When her father passed away, she continued to work with the show, having nowhere else to go.

Now Cassi
Kristin
Valley of Dreams by Lauraine Snelling is the first in the Wild West Wind series and follows the life and struggles of the main character, Cassie Lockwood.

Cassie is the star rider and sharp shooter in a wild west show that had been owned by her now deceased parents. When her parents died, the show was left in the care of her honorary uncle, Jason. However, Jason isn't business saavy and likes to drink too much which leads to the demise of the show.

When the show collapses, Cassie heads south in
Hope
I could right the same review for almost all of Lauraine Snelling's books... I **LOVE** them! :-) She is one of my favorite Christian Fiction writers. Of course this new series is wonderful! I was sucked in and held captive from almost the first page.

We follow Cassie from her life as the star of a wild west show to suddenly finding she is utterly alone in the world and without a livelihood! What will she do now? You can feel her confusion and her utter despair. It's tangible! Of course there are
Hope

Kathleen (Kat) Smith
I loved the simplicity of this storyline and how things appear to go from great to worse in a minute. When Cassie Lockwood learns after her performance at Lockwood and Talbot Wild West Show, that her Uncle Jason has squandered all the money the show has been making on some poor business decisions, he has left the show broke and now being handed over to the bank to pay the debts still owed. Now with only whatever supplies she can gather together in a gypsy-style wagon along with a few cattle, hor ...more
Kitty Bucholtz
Jul 20, 2012 Kitty Bucholtz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the back cover copy for Valley of Dreams, I was intrigued. A story about a young girl in a Wild West Show who is a trick rider and sharpshooter? That’s my kind of story! But the publisher didn’t word the back cover very well - the Wild West Show part is only in the first couple of chapters. Then it’s a book about a girl, Cassie, who knows nothing outside of life in the show who has to hit the road and find the valley her father bought long before Cassie was born.

Once I got over my di
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
First reviewed here: http://overweight-bookshelf.blogspot....

Since I read and saw Water for Elephants earlier this year, I have become mesmerized by the history of travelling circuses. I am intrigued by the social influence and personal stories of these circuses and the drama behind their rise and fall in popularity. Initially I thought Valley of Dreams would be a story written in this vein (or at least partially), but alas, it started where the Wild West show ended so there was very little elab
Faye
Oct 06, 2011 Faye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once the star of a Wild West show, Cassie Lockwood is determined to carry on to her father's Valley of Dreams, after the disbandment of the show. So with the help of an elderly Native American and her friend Micah they make theri way through North Dakota and into the Black Hills of South Dakota, to the Valley of Dreams.

This book was more of a character development and backstory book, introducing us to the characters that we will see later on it the series. It was slow moving at times and there j
librarian4Him02
Plot: Cassie Lockwod's life is thrown into turmoil when the manager of her families Wild West show looses ownership of the show due to poor financial choices. She sets out to find the valley her father always talked about. Accompanied by the Indian who was also part of the show and Micah, one of the show's hands. Cassie discovers things she never knew about herself.

Why I picked it up: I've read another book by Lauraine Snelling and enjoyed it. So, thought I'd give this one a try. The blurb sound
Regina Spiker
Cassie Lockwood is the new Annie Oakley, riding her beloved pony Wind Dancer and sharpshooting her way into the hearts of her audience that attend the Wild West Show. But, when money runs out and the show folds, Cassie's only choice is to head south and search for her late father's land out in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Joining her are Micah and Chief, Cassie's cohorts from the show and a ragtag bunch of animals, including George the buffalo.

At the same time, down in Argus, South Dakota, a
Bethany
I love Lauraine Snelling and own just about every book she has ever written (seriously). I'm excited for this new series, but it fell a little flat for me. If anything, this book seems like it's really a prequel for the actual series. If the story perhaps had more of the backstory of the Wild West show, this might have been a better book. It basically starts with the show ending and Cassie packing up to head for the Black Hills and her father's "Valley of Dreams." It splits between Cassie travel ...more
Allan67
Feb 16, 2016 Allan67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another book that I read to my wife. This is one of the things that we can do together now - she has always loved to be read to and I enjoy reading to her.

This story is about a young woman whose deceased father owned half of a wild west show. Cassie was a performer in the show, who lived and traveled with the show all of her life. The show was all that she knew. Imagine the shock of finding that the show was being closed due to financial troubles. It was all that Cassie had ever known.
Maeleah
Cassie, a trick rider and sharpshoote, who is used to having meals cooked for her and the comforts of life, suddenly finds herself heading to South Dakato with the hope of claiming land her dad had hoped to return to one day. (The show was driven into debt by her "Uncle" Jason.) She quickly learns to shoot animals for food and heat beans over a fire. With both parents dead, she brings a few friends along on the journey: a long time Indian, family friend who leads them and the wagon and animals, ...more
Tammi
Jul 07, 2012 Tammi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauraine Snelling is one of my favorite authors. So, when I saw that her newest book Valley of Dreams, the first book in the Wild West Wind series, was available to review I didn’t need to make the difficult choice over which book to choose. I wasn’t disappointed!

I felt in love with the main characters right away. I could feel Cassie’s nervousness as she waited for her turn to perform during what would be her last Wild West Show. As well as, her disappointment, and anxiety when she heard that th
Mayda
In this first book of the Wild West Wind trilogy, the author begins to spin her tale of Cassie Lockwood, trick rider and sharp shooter. After her father dies, Cassie continues as the star of the Wild West Show he co-owned. But the new sole owner runs the show into the ground and it disbands. Cassie now finds herself with only her dog, her horse, a wagon, and two fellow coworkers as she sets out to find her father’s dream ranch. A new life awaits her, and Cassie must rise to the challenge. With t ...more
CJ
Nov 10, 2011 CJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This wasn't one of my favorites of Lauraine Snelling's, but it was a fun, easy read. I enjoyed the characters at the Bar E ranch more than most of the characters in the group the novel mainly followed, and am looking forward to their intersection in the second book.

That said, the book ended very annoyingly. It was very abrupt, just when you were about to learn information Snelling had been hinting at the whole novel through.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, but I don't think th
  • Love Blooms in Winter (The Dakota Diaries #1)
  • A Whisper of Peace (Heart of the Prairie #7)
  • Touching the Sky (Land of the Lone Star, # 2)
  • Beauty for Ashes (Hickory Ridge, #2)
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • Where Wildflowers Bloom (Sisters at Heart, #1)
  • Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1)
  • The Lady's Maid (Prairie Dreams, #1)
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, #1)
  • A Love of Her Own (Heart of the West, #3)
  • A Most Unsuitable Match
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Wild West Wind (3 books)
  • Whispers in the Wind (Wild West Wind #2)
  • A Place to Belong (Wild West Wind, #3)

“Yes, she believed God loved her. But if this whole fiasco was His idea of love . . .” 7 likes
“could” 0 likes