Start by marking “The Gospel of Matthew” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of Matthew

The Gospel of Matthew (Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture)

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This Catholic commentary on Matthew interprets Scripture from within the living tradition of the Church for pastoral ministers and lay readers alike.
ebook
Published December 1st 2010 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of Matthew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of Matthew

Julie Davis
ABOUT THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW
This is not quite as good as the previous books I've gotten in the series (The Gospel of Mark, Corinthians I and II). Partway through I began feeling the way Homer Simpson did about the Bible, "What a preachy book!"

It occurred to me that it was because these authors focus primarily on the connections Matthew made with Old Testament scripture and on Christ's struggles with the Pharisees. Aside from specific sections "for reflection" there is scant focus on Christ's huma
Ethan
This is a great commentary on the Gospel of Matthew. The format is great. The insights are great. The sections are broken up nicely. I'm reserving my five star rating for Bernard Orchard's commentary (A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture).
Martin
I've started reading a section of this commentary each day and I've found it to be very worthwhile. There's a wealth of information presented in an easy to read way, and it has opened up St Matthew's Gospel and revealed some unseen nuances and details that have added a lot to my reading and understanding of the Gospel. I'd highly recommend this book.
Les Walters
More a reference book than a 'read-through'. Excellent presentation and commentary. I especially like the way the chapters align with the schedule of liturgical readings for the year of Matthew.

Good resource for deepening my practice of Lectio Divina
Donna
I find these a wonderful reference for understanding The Gospel of Matthew. Excellent reading. References for the other books of the Bible that pertain to the various chapters are included. I would like to read other books in this series.
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Fr Adam Kane
Fr Adam Kane marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Pierre
Pierre marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kory
Kory marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
LenZ
LenZ marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
John J
John J marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Howard White
Howard White marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Brian Condra
Brian Condra marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Fershinmanu
Fershinmanu marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Gospel of Matthew, The (Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture) Jesus of Nazareth Study Guide, Vol II: 2 Jesus and the Covenant of Marriage: Catholic for a Reason IV A Study Guide for Jesus of Nazareth: Part Two - Holy Week: From the Entry into Jerusalem to the Resurrection Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God