Start by marking “A Tainted Mind (Windsor, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Tainted Mind (Windsor, #1)

Read Excerpt

A Tainted Mind (Windsor #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
OBSESSED with her job as a medical examiner and lead consultant with the FBI, Dr. Vivienne 'Vivi' DeMarco is a woman running from her own demons. And finding the remains of a body on the side of a road in rural upstate New York wasn't part of her plan. FRUSTRATED that the ghosts from his past won't leave him alone, Ian MacAllister makes for a reluctant Deputy Chief of Poli ...more
Published April 18th 2013 by Booktrope Editions (first published April 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Tainted Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tainted Mind

Barbara Ann
Jan 14, 2014 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading A Tainted Mind. It’s a mystery and romance that builds to a suspenseful climax and has a satisfying ending. The focus of the story is about finding a killer after Dr. Vivienne DeMarco discovers a skeleton as she’s passing through the small town of Windsor, New York. Vivi decides to work with Deputy Chief of Police, Ian MacAllister, to solve the case. The blossoming romance between them occurs over the course of the story and is cleverly connected to the case itself.

Vivi
Charlene
I thank the author for a copy of this in paperback, and what follows is my own opinion of the book.

I found myself quite unable to put the book down once I had begun reading it. I finally had to stop to get some sleep, which is not unusual for my reading habits!

I was quickly engrossed in this suspense story, in what turned out to be a serial killer mystery, in which all (or most?) of the victims bore a resemblance to Dr. Vivienne DeMarco, the story's heroine, a child prodigy who started college a
John Kurtze
Jan 26, 2015 John Kurtze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tamsen Schultz's A TAINTED MIND A WINDSOR NOVEL delivers a story that has something for everyone. Schultz weaves her story around the small community of Windsor, New York. Readers who enjoy a story with mystery and suspense will be hooked from the time they open the cover of A TAINTED MIND to the end. Tamsen Schultz's story is full of thrills and surprises and a thread of romance. The threads of romance are an integral part of Schultz's story. While driving towards Windsor, New York, Vivienne De ...more
Oct 04, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I was torn on what rating to give this book because there were times I would have stopped reading it if I had not agreed to review it but at other times I found myself enjoying the book so I went with a medium rating because it did not hold my attention throughout the entire book.
The biggest problem I had with the book was it dragged on way to slowly for my taste. There was way to much stuff that bogged the story down and made the entire story get lost. I must say the speed did pick up in the la
Jo-Anne
Sep 28, 2013 Jo-Anne rated it it was amazing
A Tainted Mind finds Vivienne DeMarco on "vacation" driving through rural New York. She finds herself in the small town of Windsor where she finds a body on the side of the road and calls the police. This is how she meets Ian MacAllister, Deputy Chief of Police of Windsor. Vivi has many jobs, some of which are medical examiner and a consultant with the FBI so she wants to stay involved with the body identification. Both Vivi and Ian have baggage but are drawn to each other.

They determine that th
Wanda
While traveling through upstate New York, Dr. Vivienne DeMarco stumbles upon the remains of a woman in a rural area. Deputy Police Chief Ian McAlister asks Viv for her help to investigate the crime. At first Viv refuses, but reluctantly stays on when it appears they have a serial killer in the area, as more victims are discovered. And is it just coincidental that these women all resemble Viv?

Viv started college when she was sixteen, and she became a Professor, a Cop, an ME, FBI Consultant, and a
Adrienne Testa
Apr 08, 2014 Adrienne Testa rated it really liked it
Vivienne De Marcos is obsessed with her job as a medical examiner and FBI consultant, until her family is killed and she has a melt down. She takes a leave of absence from her work, only to find herself in the middle of a serial killer case in Windsor New York. Vivienne finds a dead body on the side of the road after a heavy rain storm, she reports it to the local police. Ian MacAllister is the local deputy, a former Army Ranger, over coming his own demons when he meets Vivienne De Marcos. Vivie ...more
John Kurtze
Jun 03, 2014 John Kurtze rated it it was amazing
Mystery Full of Exciting Characters Who Deliver Suspense.,

Tamsen Schultz’s A TAINTED MIND A WINDSOR NOVEL delivers a story that has something for everyone. Schultz weaves her story around the small community of Windsor, New York. Readers who enjoy a story with mystery and suspense will be hooked from the time they open the cover of A TAINTED MIND to the end. Tamsen Schultz’s story is full of thrills and surprises and a thread of romance. The threads of romance are an integral part of Schultz’s s
Linda
Aug 14, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written, suspenseful tale. Amazingly well researched, in several areas - pathology of serial killers, police procedures, and psychology of PTSD. The plot is credible as is the romance. I eagerly await her next work.
Amber (Daisymau)
Sep 23, 2013 Amber (Daisymau) rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great story. A real page turner that was hard to put down. Kept me in suspense until the very end. A very shocking ending to a great story. Can’t wait to read the other books in the series.
Jill
Jan 04, 2014 Jill rated it liked it

Bev
Oct 13, 2013 Bev rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-owned
Vivienne DeMarco, who works for the Boston PD, the FBI and is an ME, discovers a body while on vacation. She ends up helping Ian MacAllister, Deputy Chief of Police of Windsor, New York solve the case.

I had really mixed feelings about this book. It was very well-written but the first half of the book really didn't hold my attention. In fact, I got interrupted after chapter 12 and didn't get back to it for a week. When I picked it up again, I couldn't remember the characters or plot. This is unu
Renee Entress from Renee Entress's Blog
4.5 Star Review - A Tainted Mind

I recommend this book.

I enjoyed this book by Tamsen. This book includes passion, laughs, heartache, kidnappings, murder, and betrayal.

Vivi is supposed to be on a leave of absence from work. When she pulls over to change a tire along the road of a small town she stumbles across a body. When the local Deputy Chief of Police, Ian is called to investigate he asks her to help out in the investigation.

As they investigate the crime more and more woman show up missing or
Ellen
May 22, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it
I've read my fair share of romantic suspense. It's one of my favorite genres, actually! I was excited to receive the opportunity to review A Tainted Mind.
I found all of the characters extraordinarily vibrant and engaging, something that is actually quite rare in the books I've been reading lately (maybe it's just the books I've been choosing...who knows!). Vivi DeMarco has had one hell of a hard time lately. I found myself easily identifying with her struggles (which are an integral part of the
Jill D Coffin
Nov 25, 2015 Jill D Coffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the best characters I've met in a long time

Although in many ways this could have just been another serial killer suspense novel , it was enhanced exponentially by a cast of brilliantly executed characters . Very original , vivid and interesting . I'm looking forward to reading more from this author .
tone
Jan 29, 2016 tone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Tainted Mind

Dr. Vivi DeMarco a medical examiner and consultant for the FBI discovers a dead body while stopped to change a flat. Vivi stays in Windsor to help Deputy Chief of Police Ian MacAllisten with his investigation . Another body is found and they discover they both women look like Vivi.
Anna
Nov 30, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This wasn't bad as a mystery, although the ending was a bit convoluted and the villain was painfully obvious from the start. That said, it was in the romantic suspense category, which is one I vastly prefer to mysteries. And this was *not* romantic suspense.
Louise Schultz
Jun 12, 2016 Louise Schultz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a good rea

Characters are interesting and believable. Plot line from one end to the other with subtle twists throughout to keep the reader guessing. I'm going to be reading second book in the series for sure.
lynda
Nov 28, 2015 lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it....

FAst paced, plenty of action. Lots of suspects to consider. Nice love story between two vulnerable and slightly flawed heroes. Fun ancillary characters. A nice way to pass an afternoon.

Holly
Nov 18, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing characters and setting.

Thoroughly enjoyable book. If you enjoy Bones, you'll enjoy this book. The same, but totally different. Looking forward to the next one.
Kerry
Nov 08, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
WOW!!!!! I really like the romantic suspense genre, that said... I really, really loved this book!

This story had me on the "edge of my seat" throughout the entire book. If I wasn't on the edge of my seat I was pacing the floor while reading it. There were so many twists & turns in this story, I didn't know what to expect next.
Of course there was also the romantic part, a fast paced - hot loving couple that dreams are made of. Vivienne & Ian compliment each others strengths & weakness
C. Baccari
Nov 21, 2015 C. Baccari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

I enjoyed the book Lots of twist and turns page after page. The author kept me reading on .Very suspenseful.
P.J. Fiala
Nov 02, 2015 P.J. Fiala rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Suspenseful and exciting. I honestly had a hard time putting this book down. Gotta go read the rest of the series.
michael rietman
Nov 20, 2015 michael rietman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book managed to keep me up. I had put it down but had to know the ending so much for sleep.
Millie Russom
Nov 22, 2015 Millie Russom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

This is a good mystery and one that is hard to figure out til you get to the end. The ending was a surprise.
Danielle Taylor
Jan 28, 2015 Danielle Taylor rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and would give it 4.5 stars. The characters were interesting and the romance was nice. Although I too figured out the killer it was still a very good book and I will read more from this author.
Sandy
Dec 26, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the mystery as well as the love story. I have never read Tamsen Schultz before, but I will definitely watch for her works. I was totally surprised by the ending when the murderer was discovered. I also appreciated the writing skill that all the various aspects of Dr. DeMarco's talents so interesting and I could actually picture what the Deputy Sheriff looked like. Great read.
Jeanie Jackson
Jan 05, 2016 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it
A Tainted Mind is an outstanding, fast-paced suspense novel with a wonderful romantic element. While the plot is solid and complex, it is the quality of characters that make the story great. I am glad that this is a series because even the secondary character grabbed my interest and absolutely I loved the main characters who are both extremely strong intelligent characters who have faced almost more than they can handle. This one will having you begging for more just as it does me.
Susan
May 29, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Tamsen pens "A Tainted Mind" in a plot that is filled with mystery, adventure, and romance. With her well developed and strong characters, they kept me turning the pages. This was one book that I thought I had it all figured out but then BAM another twist was thrown in. A must read that will not disappoint for all romantic suspense fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Ila
Sep 30, 2013 Ila rated it really liked it
Finally finished this book! Can't believe it took me this long, will review soon! Really liked it!
Romantic Suspense: Looking for Reviews! 12 23 Sep 20, 2013 12:48PM
  • Primal Instinct
  • Shroud of Fog (A Cape Trouble Romantic Suspense Novel)
  • Tell-All
  • Deceptive Cadence (The Virtuosic Spy, #1)
  • Make Your Voice Matter with Lawmakers: No Experience Necessary
  • Tea and Primroses (Legley Bay, #2)
  • Set Free: A Story of Peace Found Through Forgiveness
  • Death By Ice Cream (Pismawallops PTA #1)
  • Painted Boots
  • Target Churchill
  • Duke of Scandal (Moonlight Square #1)
  • To Wed in Scandal (Scandal in London, #2)
  • Teeny Totty Uses Mama's  Big Potty: Transition from  Potty Chair to Toilet
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • The Book of Ephesus: A Novel
  • Revenge (Faces of Evil, #5)
  • The Purple Heart
  • Mind of an Outlaw: Selected Essays
Tamsen Schultz is the author of several romantic suspense novels and American Kin (a short story published in Line Zero Magazine). In addition to being a writer, she has a background in the field of international conflict resolution, has co-founded a non-profit, and currently works in corporate America. Like most lawyers, she spends a disproportionate amount of time thinking (and writing) about wh ...more
More about Tamsen Schultz...

Windsor (4 books)
  • These Sorrows We See (Windsor, #2)
  • What Echoes Render (Windsor, #3)
  • The Frailty of Things (Windsor, #4)