Start by marking “Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A bombshell investigation reveals how Washington really works: politicians extort money from us, then use it to buy each other’s votes. Best-selling author Peter Schweizer reveals:*Obama’s "Protection Money": How the Obama Administration targeted industries for criminal investigation but chose not to pursue key political donors.*John Boehner’s "Tollbooth": How the Speaker ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Extortion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extortion

Ben Batchelder
Mar 22, 2015 Ben Batchelder rated it it was amazing
This is a book to read and weep. It tells the devastating and documented story of how politicians of both parties have corrupted Washington, D.C. and undermined our delicate republic. These days, not only do the Power Pols (those in the Legislative & Executive Branches) routinely exempt themselves from the sprawling laws they impose on us (Obamacare, most recently), but take gleeful advantage of exemptions from security laws (among others) to trade on insider information. While its premature ...more
Miles Fowler
Feb 16, 2016 Miles Fowler rated it really liked it
A disturbing book. It tells you everything you knew was true about government corruption but were afraid to admit. The trouble with government is NOT that this party or that party is in control and is doing wrong, but rather it is that both parties are corrupt and playing their voter bases for fools. Democrats might think that corporations should be regulated and that their political leaders are dedicated to doing just that. Republicans might think that corporations are already overregulated and ...more
Book
Jul 28, 2014 Book rated it really liked it
Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Pockets by Peter Schweizer

"Extortion" is an interesting expose of how politicians extort money, legally. Research fellow, consultant and author, Peter Schweizer provides a well-referenced account of how the members of the Permanent Political Class profit handsomely from such practices. This troubling 256-page book includes the following ten chapters: 1. Introduction, 2. America’s Most Expensive Tollbooth, 3. Protection: for
Jacob O'connor
Apr 14, 2014 Jacob O'connor rated it liked it
I don’t have a lot of faith in politics. I'm not surprised when there's a scandal. Friends will often point to a dirty politician from my party. I don’t have a reaction. I have zero expectation that these guys are going to be paragons of goodness.

By all means, read this book and be outraged. Schweizer goes after democrats and republicans alike. The problem is systemic. Politics has evolved in such a way that favors, bribery, and yes extortion, are simply the way things get done. I'm not convinc
Kurtbg
Feb 22, 2014 Kurtbg rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, fiction-non
Can you believe that politicians use their held office to suggest legislation and call votes in order to shakedown corporations to pay into their campaigns, and PAC's? That's the case presented by the author.

What if just by saying you're going to take a look at financial regulation resulted in obtaining money from pro or anti regulation "constituents"? How hard would it be to not do that?

What if there was a two party system that was always contrary?
money would always be flowing, wouldn't it?

The
Gerry Claes
Dec 12, 2013 Gerry Claes rated it really liked it
Everyone assumes that it is the lobbyists who are throwing money at politicians in order to encourage them to pass favorable legislation and spending. The reality is that in most cases it is the politicians who are extorting money from the lobbyists in order to line their own pockets or to finance their agenda. All a politician has to do is to propose a bill that favors or punishes a particular industry. Then the politician just sits back and waits for the lobbyists to come calling with pockets ...more
Carol Menges
Jan 03, 2014 Carol Menges rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in understanding what's going on in government.
Recommended to Carol by: I read about it and heard an interview with the author on the radio.
This is a grim exposé. Any residual hopes I had that extortion was not quite as endemic—even expected—at any government level, especially the federal, were wiped away. It's hardly even necessary today to pretend otherwise among those in Congress and the Executive Branch who practice it. The deal, though, is to maintain a sliver of respectability while hiding behind a wall of obscure objectives that only staffers who wrote them understand. It's also important to pretend honesty while wringing dry ...more
Charles E.
Jul 11, 2015 Charles E. rated it it was amazing
There is a fine line between bribery and extortion; especially when the transaction is unspoken and not asked for in words. If you own a business and a Mafia type comes in and says "Nice business you have here, it would be a shame if something happened to it" and not another word is spoken, just a transfer of cash, was that extortion? Those are the questions that Peter Schweizer examines.

We frequently hear people complain about big-monied corporations "buying" politicians to gain political favo
Stampartiste
Sep 23, 2015 Stampartiste rated it it was amazing
What an eye-opening book! It sure explains why Congress is so tone-deaf to the opinions and petitions of their constituents. As the author reveals in detail, there was a time when those in Washington (he terms them the Permanent Political Class) enriched themselves while pretending to serve their constituents. No more. The masks are off, and they don't even pretend to listen to those who elected them. Their main focus is the acquisition of continually more money and power. The author is quick to ...more
Chris Ross
All I can say is WOW! What an eye opening book with the research and data to prove it. All the more reason to vote the incumbents out and start asking your Congressmen/women and Senators to start enacting laws that make sense and are not 2,000 pages long and are never read. This book truly explains the reason why our government has become so dysfuntional and corrupt. Perhaps it is time for a new revolution or a coup to overthrow the Permanent Political Class and install more Joe the Plumbers, wo ...more
Dennis
Jan 18, 2014 Dennis rated it it was amazing
As a friend of a friend would say, "I despair." Campaign contributions. Fundraising parties. Nepotism. Money sloshing around in Washington buying votes or favorable treatment. Only the tip of the iceberg one finds after reading this book. The corruption that takes place in Washington is beyond one's imagination. It seems something that only takes place in a third world country. Where are the people rioting in the streets because of Washington corruption as we see in those countries? The author, ...more
David
Dec 18, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Recommended by a friend and business colleague, I wanted to educate myself about our political system. It is that, walloping my ideas of how money moves in Washington, with our representatives pulling the strings and being mostly self-serving, not serving the greater good. Teeth gnashing, and i'm not sure the entrenched interests will ever do anything to change this system--they themselves would have to vote to change the system that enriches themselves.
Michael
Aug 01, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Good points, not great writing. There's a lot of information, but it's somewhat repetitive and disorganized, and his points don't always follow from his evidence. Still, four stars for being an important book.
Dahl
Oct 04, 2015 Dahl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations
An eye-opening account of the corruption which has seeped through every aspect of the United States government. A must-read for every American who plans on casting votes and supporting legislation. It will help you see the whole picture and tear away the facade that Democrats and Republicans preside over a divided government or that either party is a flawless defender of the everyday American.
Gregory Tanico
Apr 14, 2015 Gregory Tanico rated it really liked it
A great book. I knew it was bad in Washington but i didn't know how bad. There are very good reasons why so many people in congress, as well as their families and friends are filthy rich. Both parties are at fault though the chapter on Harry Reid is classic. I'm looking forward to his book Clinton Cash
Rhonda Sue
Apr 15, 2015 Rhonda Sue rated it really liked it
Very good read-but sickening to see how truly corrupt the political system in Washington, DC is. Ever hear of a "milker bill?" If not, I recommend you read this book and get educated. I recently heard this speaker at an event and he was gracious to give out free books and to sign them. He's a brave guy!
Jim Pfaff
Jan 04, 2015 Jim Pfaff rated it it was amazing
Peter is a great researcher into the workings of government and culture. I must admit some bias as Peter is a friend. But he objectively has done fantastic work pointing out the frustrating dysfunction which is presently overwhelming our political system.
Robert Sparrenberger
Feb 07, 2014 Robert Sparrenberger rated it really liked it
Can we start over in Washington? After reading this we sure need to. I'm in the wrong job. I need to be a consultant for all of this congressional nonsense. Quick short read with lots of examples.
Lee
May 01, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: political-books
An excellent sequel to Throw them all out. An in depth analysis of the muck of politics on both sides of the aisles, it shows how the politicians make the rules to suit and enrich them and shake down everybody else.
Roxanne
Oct 13, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
These politicans make me sick, they always have their personal agenda to get money from anyone they can. The whole system of government needs to be changed.
Jay
Aug 28, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: memory
Depressing. It's rather amazing how naked the corruption is in Washington and how little it's reported on...
Bo Trapnell
Feb 06, 2014 Bo Trapnell rated it really liked it
Insightful look into the American political system. Self-interests, money and wrong motives.
John Venable
Apr 28, 2014 John Venable rated it really liked it
Sad tale of how the Political Machine is still alive and kicking. We'll written, thoroughly footnoted, and utterly depressing.
David
Feb 28, 2014 David rated it really liked it
So that's how they do it.
Michael Frederick
Nov 06, 2013 Michael Frederick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides insight into the power the US government and elected officials use over businesses and associations to generate campaign donations, jobs after they step down, and income for their family members. It is wye opening and makes a good case for term limits and other means to limit the influence of elected officials.
Justin Powell
Nov 30, 2013 Justin Powell rated it liked it
Could have, or should I say, should have been a bigger book. The topics that were covered could have been elaborated on more. And at times, I felt like the book was a little partisan (no, I didn't vote for Obama and no, I'm not a registered Democrat. Most of the was within the Obama era.
Malin Friess
Oct 08, 2014 Malin Friess rated it did not like it
Even for a somtimes political cynic like myself, I found this book far too negative and absolutly depressing. I do believe our politicians and political process with its failures still believes in the common good of the people.

1 star. Not worth a read.
Garret Rose
Jun 19, 2016 Garret Rose rated it really liked it
Boy, you will hate politicians even more after this book! Although Schweizer leans right, this book, along with his last will attract readers from both sides as he stays apolitical and attacks all of those worthy of being attacked.
Chris
Mar 18, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
This was a pretty easy read, if a bit disheartening.

"Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made.” - attributed to John Godfrey Saxe ( although often attributed to Otto von Bismarck"
Danmcgohan
Nov 05, 2013 Danmcgohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me ill! If only a small percentage of these facts are true, we are in deep!!! This is definitely a strong argument for term limits. I pray our country is not lost to the professional politician.
  • Stonewalled: My Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation, and Harassment in Obama's Washington
  • Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's Bloodiest Scandal and Its Shameless Cover-Up
  • A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State
  • BETRAYED - The Shocking True Story Of Extortion 17 As Told By A Navy SEAL's Father
  • Disinformation
  • The Tyranny of Clichés: How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas
  • War on the Middle Class: How the Government, Big Business, and Special Interest Groups Are Waging War onthe American Dream and How to Fight Back
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
  • Breakthrough: Our Guerilla War to Expose Fraud and Save Democracy
  • No, They Can't: Why Government Fails-But Individuals Succeed
  • A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media
  • The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy
  • Illiberal Reformers: Race, Eugenics, and American Economics in the Progressive Era
  • Because They Hate
  • A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing
  • Suicide Pact: The Radical Expansion of Presidential Powers and the Lethal Threat to American Liberty
  • How the West Really Lost God: A New Theory of Secularization
PETER SCHWEIZER is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. From 2008-9 he served as a consultant to the White House Office of Presidential Speechwriting and he is a former consultant to NBC News. He has written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, National Review, Foreign Affairs, and elsewhere. His books include The Bushes, Reagan's ...more
More about Peter Schweizer...

“The assumption is that we need to protect politicians from outside influences. But how about protecting ourselves from the politicians?” 1 likes
“What if politics is really largely about fund-raising and making money?” 1 likes