Start by marking “The Ways of an Atheist” as Want to Read:
The Ways of an Atheist

The Ways of an Atheist

Bernard Katz smartly turns biblical tales and religious declarations back on themselves to expose their mythical origins and obvious contradictions. This remarkable and entertaining collection of essays takes an atheistic and humorous look at the most popular religious beliefs, including the concept of God, biblical morality, magic and miracles, the much-touted mental ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 1999 by Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ways of an Atheist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ways of an Atheist

No Remorse
Jul 17, 2010 No Remorse rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: God Hates You
"...there should be a warning label on every Bible that says "reading this may be injurious to your health.""

"...nature is orderly: the planets move in regular orbits, planted seeds grow uniformly into complex structures, the seasons succeed each other in order. Everything conforms to patterns, is governed by law."

"Apparently Aristotle originated the argument from design. Taking their cues from him, Augustine and Thomas Aquinas converted the argument to benefit Christianity."

Verbal jujitsu

*smash
Feb 22, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
There were some interesting facts in this book and trivia. I liked the section that showed the "sins" of Jesus- all the times he acted contrary to his own teachings or broke the ten commandments. I found myself taking notes while reading this book, as I often do with atheist books. I wish the author had gone a little more in depth on some of the things he wrote about- it seemed like each chapter was short and was just a basic overview. This made the book a quick read, but at times left me ...more
Mark
Mar 01, 2008 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: atheism
Mr. Katz’s book is an easy read that would be a good introduction to some of the more simple arguments for atheism. Each section very short, giving anyone who has not studied secular humanism a taste for some of the foundational arguments. The book sometimes delves off into subjective opinions, but that said, also tends to “straighten itself out” so to say.
Topics range from variations on Hume’s arguments against miracles to a section called “Jesus: Warts and All”. I believe that a list of source
Pablo
Sep 27, 2013 Pablo rated it liked it
Overall, there isn't much in this book I didn't already know. My problem (maybe too strong a word) with this book is that the essays are too short. Abundant in information, they lack depth of analysis. Katz seems to hold that certain things are self evident. While he may be right, that doesn't excuse him as the author from delving into the issues he presents. And someone needs to tell him that exclamation points are for emphasis, and he should probably back off from such abundant use of them.
Kailoa
Kailoa rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Vincent
Vincent rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
John Karabaic
John Karabaic rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Frank Lovell (Jr.)
Frank Lovell (Jr.) rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Khenpo Gurudas
Khenpo Gurudas rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Krisko Isackson
Krisko Isackson rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2012
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Tracey Sims
Tracey Sims rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Tracy Campagna
Tracy Campagna rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Ryan
Ryan added it
Mar 06, 2012
Tseitel
Tseitel marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Srivatsan
Srivatsan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Megan Demers
Megan Demers marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Mohammad F.
Mohammad F. marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2016