Start by marking “Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)

Dead Secret (Diane Fallon #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  35 reviews
“Call[ing] to mind the forensic mysteries of Aaron Elkins and Patricia Cornwell” (Chicago Sun-Times), Beverly Connor’s spellbinding series proves that the dead do tell tales—and reveal secrets that can threaten the living in the most chilling of ways…

In the depths of an unmapped cave, forensic anthropologist Diane Fallon makes an astonishing discovery: the decades-old sk
Published December 6th 2005 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Dead Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Secret

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth PetersThe Mummy Case by Elizabeth PetersAmelia Peabody's Egypt by Elizabeth PetersThe Falcon at the Portal by Elizabeth Peters
Archaeology Romance, Mystery, Suspense
47th out of 110 books — 71 voters
Alien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniToo Much Information by David  HaskellReckless Endangerment by Amber Lea EastonRiptide by Amber Lea EastonSon of a Serial Killer by Jams N. Roses
Recommended Thriller/Suspense
219th out of 533 books — 662 voters

More lists with this book...

Gail
Connor has two mystery series with forensic anthropologists. I said in a review of the other series that the emotional life of the main character is unsatisfactory because it is merely reported on rather than experienced. This series with museum-and-crime-lab-director, Diane Fallon, does the same thing but is much more successful. Probably because Fallon herself is very work oriented in a way to control her complex feelings and relationships.

Diane and a couple of co-workers are exploring an unma
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars Great series for those interested less in gore and more in science,, January 22, 2009

This review is from: Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, No. 3) (Paperback)

These are great mysteries with not much gore or grisly murders. Diane is smart (she knows everything and can do everything) and the details about so many different subjects make the novels very interesting. We learn tidbits about forensics, archeology, paleontology, osteology, botany, entomology, anthropo
Vickie
There's that fine line that forensic mystery writers walk and tend to stomp the reader to just about tears of boredom with the in-the-weeds forensic medical speak.

Beverly Connor has mastered the tightwire and not a bored tear to be found while reading this pretty exciting quick-turn-the-page-see-what's-going-to-happen-next kind of suspense.

I liked the mixture of getting to see Diane Fallon's life outside the labs and museum while she went caving with friends. Granted going caving and finding a
Lauren
Dead Secret
4.5 Stars

In this installment, Forensic Anthropologist, Diane Fallon, and her team discover a mummified corpse while caving, which sets in motion a series of chilling events culminating in the revelations of a decades old murder that has deadly consequences in the present.

An action packed and intricate plot with characters that come to life on the pages. The forensic details are fascinating and contribute significantly to the engrossing storyline without being excessive or redundant.
Michelle Palmer
This has been the best so far of the Diane Fallon series. There were some great twists and turns to keep up with. The character is interesting with some totally bizarre things happening to her and her friends and co workers. Really enjoyed the book.
Bgrass Chic
A good read

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a little drawn out and the ending was hard to tie together. Still a good read overall.
Phillipa
Another one, yes (and there are more to come!). This one was back up to the first one's standard, I thought. I really enjoyed it. Although I did consider that the next one might start off immediately after this one (based on how it ended), but I skimmed a few pages and it didn't ... otherwise I would've had to move directly onto it!

I am still really enjoying the characters.
Glynda
EXCELLENT, JUST AS I EXPECT FROM CONNER'S WORK. GOOD MYSTERY WITH A SPECIAL TWIST IN THE EPILOG.
Ellen
Aug 13, 2013 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I am certainly improving my forensic anthropology skills and feel I could probably get my Master's in it by now! Apart from a little too much detailed information in this area, I enjoyed this book which had an interesting plot which held my interest. The protagonist, Dr Diane Fallon, is rather too much of a superwoman who can recover amazingly quickly from various assaults from the baddies but she is still a sympathetic character. I'll definitely read more of this series.
My mother recently turned me on to the works of Beverly Connor, since she knows I am interested in forensic science. So far, I have read two of hers, and own two more. Fans of Cornwell's "Body Farm" series and Kay Scarpetta will love Diane Fallon. The characters are approachable, the science interesting, and the plot takes numerous twists and turns, expertly weaving in subplots, side plots, and outright red herrings. Definitely recommended for fans of the Crime Network.
Pamela Coleman
I was new to this author...liked her. It's a good forensic/murder mystery.
Susan
While exploring a rather dangerous cave, forensic anthropologist Diane Fallon discovers a mummified skeleton. More skeletons, recent and ancient follow. The bones of a reputed witch are delivered from England. Diane is stabbed and her mother wrongly imprisoned. The museum and crime lab that she directs are threatened. All this action makes for a frantic pace interspersed with various lectures by Diane. The book is entertaining but not satisfying.
Kay
The forensics and various data bases (e.g., buttons, fabrics) that help solve crimes these days are amazing, as always, as is Diane Fallon's other job, the natural history museum. What keeps this book from being a 4-star, IMHO, is the extraneous serial killer tossed in near the end. The central set of murders is complex and interesting enough without this strange extra.
Shannon Clark
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. When I first started reading it I thought I might not like it too much because it is very detailed about caving, forensic anthropology, etc. It surprised me. It wasn't too much detail, and it helped to explain for a better understanding of the story. Several twists in the book-loved the one at the end! Gotta get the next one!
Michael VanOmmeren
up to **** 1/2

I've read all three of the Dian Fallon series - this is my favorite. The mystery held my interest better than the second book. The author weaves combination of caving, crime scene investigation and detective work together very well.

All around good read... looking forward to the next.
April
This series just keeps getting better. I really like the elaborate back stories that are present and how the mystery is unraveled bit by bit. I like that the solutions aren't obvious but are at least believable. I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys mysteries.
Nicole
so intense, at first i thought that if all the unrelated events were to be pulled together because of one character, the book would be lame... however, the twist the story took was so worth it, and i 100% take back my original thoughts. The ending was a great!
Samantha
Excellent really enjoyed it so much going all the time there is no time to get bored. Love all the different characters it isn't all Diane Fallon she doesn't tackle the investigations single handed she has a team and they all work together.
Zafia
I really enjoyed the book. The plot was great and entertained me throughout. Still not too sure of Frank. Still not seeing much of him imo. I liked how it was all tied neatly in the end and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.
Wenonah
Wow, twists and turns throughout the book and she still manages to keep the outcome a secret until the end. Great series.

Recommend starting from the beginning of the series.
Kathy
Very good book...Not as good as the other two but I did enjoy it...I loved the end of it. I still love the characters and I will be continuing with this series...
Brenda Kirton
Excellent book. I need to find these books to purchase. I have read the whole series, but now I need to by them so I can read them again, they are so good.
Beth
Can you tell that I am into this series?? This book blends caving (the heroine's hobby) with the discovery of a body dead many years.
Ellen
I love these books. I do not understand why she is not at the top of the list for forensic science detectives, which is my favorite.

Wogc
ok mystery book. ending was a bit rushed and the subplot of the "rabbit fan" could have been better used in another book, imo.
Amanda Markham
I've written a more detailed review of this book here:
Missy
What can I say, I love this series. Great story line, enough mystery and intrigue to keep you reading page after page.
Clare
I really love this series and can't wait for the new book to come out.
Tracy
Another amazing book by Beverly Connor. I love the Diane Fallon series.
Courtney Kerr
The first book was so good, I'm reading the entire series!
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Hades
  • The Bone Chamber
  • The Devil's Closet
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • While Galileo Preys
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • Brunswick Gardens (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #18)
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...
One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1) Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2) Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4) Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5) Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)