Start by marking “Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes

Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (Encounters of Sherlock Holmes #2)

BRAND-NEW TALES OF THE GREAT DETECTIVE

Once again the spirit of Sherlock Holmes lives on in this collection of twelve brand-new adventures. Wonder at how the world's greatest consulting detective plays a deadly game with the Marvel of Montmartre; investigates a killing on the high seas; discovers Professor Moriarty's secret papers; battles a mysterious entity on a Scottish
Published February 11th 2014 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes

Matt Cresswell
Feb 24, 2014 Matt Cresswell rated it really liked it
An anthology generally lives or dies by the strength of it’s individual stories, so I’ll run through them, each in their own right.

The anthology opens with The Adventure of the Professor’s Bequest (Philip Purser-Hallard) which sees Holmes investigating the theft of papers belonging to the late Professor Moriarty. It suffers from a somewhat threadbare mystery (or rather, something of a slender set of clues) but makes up for it by punting the story into a fascinating retro-futuristic-Matrix, Cart
Philip Jones
Nov 17, 2014 Philip Jones rated it liked it
This is a collection of a dozen Sherlockian tales by a number of authors. The editor’s view is that Holmes remains Holmes, no matter who writes the tale and where or when it takes place. He agrees with me that Doyle brought life to an Archetype, to a character that is real to all people of all times and places, The Great Detective. Here we see that character through many eyes.

In “The Adventure of the Professor’s Bequest,” a novella by Philip Purser-Hallard, we meet Professor Moriarty’s daughter
Victor Gentile
May 12, 2014 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
George Mann in his book, “Further Encounters Of Sherlock Holmes” a Book in the Encounters of Sherlock Holmes series published by Titan Books brings us new short stories featuring the adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

From the Back Cover: Brand New tales of the great detective

Once again the spirit of Sherlock Holmes lives on in this collection of twelve brand-new adventures. Wonder at how the world’s greatest consulting detective plays a deadly game with the Marvel of Montmartre; investigates a killi
Mary
Apr 09, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I won this book, from entering the giveaway. I Love Sherlock Holmes, I was so excited to get this book and could not wait to read it. This is a must read every story is wonderfully written, I could not even pick a favorite for I loved them all. A Betrayal of Doubt was wonderful story with Dr. Watson Jr. They call Sherlock who has by now retired, to help them solve a rather puzzling mystery. A man found with strange marking's is found dead behind a locked door that, and there is only one key. I ...more
Michael Brown
Feb 22, 2015 Michael Brown rated it it was ok
Some good stories. Some bad. And some that were just outright stupid and worthless. Too many people think that they can tell a tale set in London with Holmes and Watson and all will be right in the world. Well bull. Most of the plots that worked for Doyle have either already been reused by better authors or so overused that the need to add a sci-fi, horror, fantasy or erotic hook just ruins the story.
Lola
Feb 25, 2015 Lola rated it it was amazing
I won this book via Goodreads giveaway (and am embarrassingly far behind in reviewing it, for which I apologize). It was absolutely delightful. There was only a single story I didn't care for (the one set on Mars), and I generally find anthologies, especially those with a fairly narrow theme, to be very hit or miss. I have bought the previous collection in the series (Encounters of Sherlock Holmes) based on my enjoyment of this volume.
Ade Couper
Feb 11, 2014 Ade Couper rated it really liked it
This is another collection of Sherlock Holmes tales by contemporary writers- & very good most of them are, too...

As ever with a short story collection, I'm not going to critique each tale in detail: for me, the best tales in here were "The Snowtorn Terror", by Justin Richards, & "A Matter of Doubt" by Philip Marsh, which sees Holmes called out of retirement 1 last time....

Well worth a look.
Taillieu
Apr 26, 2016 Taillieu rated it really liked it
I loved it as it mainly followed the classic narrative. However still a 4/5 as there we're a few stories that didn't follow the traditional style; either by writing outside of Watson's p.o.v. or by drifting closer to the paranormal as a solution rather than the absolutely logical and sound endings, that I personally prefer, those particular stories brought down the overall rating.
Jose Luis Meza Garcia
Mar 31, 2015 Jose Luis Meza Garcia rated it it was ok
Thought it was going to be a better compilation of stories. Started very good and ended great but the other stories couldn't keep up with the high standard I'm accustomed in Holmes stories. Hope you have a better time with this than me.
Becky
Mar 17, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winner
This is a very well written book. George Mann really made you feel like you were in the story. I had a hard time putting this book down this is a must read for all Sherlock Holmes fans or anyone looking for adventure
Anne Thorpe
Jun 05, 2014 Anne Thorpe rated it really liked it
Some short stories are quite good, some far fetched and some uneven, did not quite ring true. On the whole, entertaining.
Emily
Dec 27, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
31/2 stars: while I found one story distasteful to the Sir Arthur style I did enjoy finding out what happened to the characters after Sherlock's fall with Moriarty.
Kyle Chmura
Kyle Chmura rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
shartyrant
shartyrant rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Sidney Lock
Sidney Lock rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Alain Chappaz
Alain Chappaz rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Dottie
Dottie rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Ambure
Ambure rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Claude
Claude rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
TheRavenking
TheRavenking rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Annika
Annika rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Donf22
Donf22 rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Ainoa
Ainoa rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Jon Puryear
Jon Puryear rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
M.a. Poces
M.a. Poces rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Deborah Barber
Deborah Barber rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Trisha
Trisha rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Kathryn Hellmann
Kathryn Hellmann rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Bill Rakowski
Bill Rakowski rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau
  • The Stuff of Nightmares
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Albino's Treasure
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Detection by Gaslight: 14 Victorian Detective Stories (Unabridged)
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Beyond Rue Morgue Anthology: Further Tales of Edgar Allan Poe's 1st Detective
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
George Mann is an author and editor, primarily in genre fiction. He was born in Darlington, County Durham in 1978.
A former editor of Outland, Mann is the author of The Human Abstract, and more recently The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual in his Newbury and Hobbes detective series, set in an alternate Britain, and Ghosts of Manhattan, set in the same universe some decades later.
He wrote the T
More about George Mann...

Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (2 books)
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes