Start by marking “Allegiance” as Want to Read:
Allegiance

Allegiance (River of Souls #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  9 reviews
King Leos of Károví, the tyrannical despot whose magic made him near immortal and who controlled a tattered empire for centuries through fear and intimidation, is finally dead. Ilse Zhalina watched as the magical jewels that gave him such power reunited into a single essence, a manifestly God-like creature who then disappeared into the cosmic void. Ilse is now free to fulf ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Allegiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allegiance

Nightwing
Beth Bernobich's third book in her River of Souls series, Allegiance is even better than the two that preceded it, Passion Play and Queen's Hunt. Passion Play introduced the reader to the world of Ilse Zhalina and Raul Kosenmark, a world rife with politics and magic. Queen's Hunt continued their story, although they were separated by seemingly insurmountable odds. Allegiance picks up right where Queen's Hunt left off. Ilse and Raul are still, as far as they can tell, forever remaining apart, for ...more
Kelly
As this is the final volume in the ‘River Of Souls’ trilogy, spoilers for the first two books are unavoidable. With that warning: King Leos is dead (permanently, one hopes) and the jewels have been reunited. Valara Baussay is bound for Morennioù, Raul Kosenmark is off to serve the king and Ilse Zhalina is caught between oaths and allegiance. She and Raul are still doing all they can to prevent war and, again, the obstacles in their path are numerous.

Secrets, lies, assassins and spies will try to
Cat Hellisen
(I accidentally starred this when I was clicking on the shelves, and then decided that even though it breaks my rule of not starring books, I don't mind terribly in this case ;) )

Allegiance is the concluding book of the River of Souls series. The series is romantic, political, complex, with layers and layers of characters and plots within plots. *This* is the kind of book I love to read, and Bernobich does a great job.

It's also rather nice to read a fantasy world where the game settings are not
Dr susan
Around page 185 of Allegiance, I remembered that the River of Souls series has been described as an epic. Epics are grand, sweeping stories of loss, betrayal, war, death, passion and life, and do not often have 'happily ever afters'. So I girded my loins, bit the bullet, put on my big girl panties, and prepared myself for the death of all the characters I enjoy.
Allegiance has multiple points of view that then blend into a main character's 'voice', so this book flows more smoothly than Queen's H
Darlene
A most satisfying conclusion to the River of Souls story arc begun with Passion Play. Raul Kosenmark and Ilse Zhalina are torn apart by political forces in the wake of the death of King Leos. Each of the lovers has a role to play in the struggling kingdom, and their allegiance to their cause will be tested, over and over again, but their allegiance to each other never wavers.

Fans of the earlier volumes will most definitely want to read Allegiance. There's room for more stories in the River of S
Carien
This is a nice read mostly.

Ilse's journey is full of danger and treachery and I was rooting for her to get back to Raul. She has to leave some people behind, but meets others along the way. I kept trying to guess who she could trust and who might stab her in the back.

Raul's storyline is filled with even more intrigue and politics. New to me characters appeared, but from the context of the story I learned they were returning characters from the first book in this trilogy (which I didn't read). S
Jeff
Excellent work finishing this life in the book. (Though how many past lives should one be held accountable for ?) despite intrusions & inclusions in the world of magic, the tale is stunningly wrapped up and made whole. The king is dead, long live the king; once again proving the office, not the mutable person is what makes a difference.
Gwen
A very satisfying ending for two damaged people and for a well rounded and intricate fantasy world - really enjoyed the series. Could there more books? possibly. Do I want more? no not really but that's just me, I am happy were it ended.
Linda
I was prepared to be disappointed...boy was I wrong. I will search out other books by Ms Bernovich and indulge my escape from reality!
Xahne
Xahne added it
Oct 30, 2014
Katie Clarke
Katie Clarke marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
CierraRae
CierraRae marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Aanchal
Aanchal marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
BookLoversLife
BookLoversLife marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Monica Kardys
Monica Kardys marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vianca
Vianca marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Racheal
Racheal marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2)
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • A Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume I
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #3)
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
  • Bianca (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #1)
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Bard's Oath (Dragonlord, #3)
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger, #3)
  • Battle (The House War, #5)
  • Frost (Mist, #2)
  • The Given Sacrifice (Emberverse, #10)
  • Treecat Wars (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #3)
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • Bastion (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #5)
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
Beth Bernobich is a writer, reader, mother, and geek. She loves to tell stories.
More about Beth Bernobich...
Passion Play (River of Souls Series, #1) Fox and Phoenix (Long City, #1) Queen's Hunt (River of Souls Series, #2) Pig, Crane, Fox (Lóng City, #0.5) Thief of War: A Tor.Com Original