Start by marking “William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays

William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays

Among the plays staged at the Globe and published in Shakespeare's lifetime were The London Prodigal by William Shakespeare, A Yorkshire Tragedy written by W. Shakespeare and Thomas Lord Cromwell written by W. S. Could Shakespeare really have written these plays? Why were they excluded from the First Folio of his collected works?

Edited by renowned Shakespeare scholars Jona
Hardcover, First, 752 pages
Published November 12th 2013 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published November 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare and Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare and Others

Feb 07, 2014 Daryl rated it really liked it
A Goodreads giveaway won! As someone who's studied Shakespeare (MA in English) and worked in amateur and semi-professional theatre, I have a confession to make. I know most of Shakespeare's works weren't published during his lifetime and I'm aware of the silly rumors that someone else wrote his plays. But I never thought (or was taught) about the possibilities of collaboration, although thinking about it now, it not only makes sense but seems almost inevitable. The introduction and sections on a ...more
Aug 15, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer one: I'm going to do something I've never done before - write a review before I've finished a book.

Disclaimer two: I got my copy free as a good reads giveaway.

I have only glanced at the plays, but I have read all of the things relating to why this book was put together, the background, etc. I am a reader of Shakespeare and for the most part, love them (I loathe Romeo and Juliet). I knew there were factions that believed he plagiarized, stole, wrote more, and so on, but I have never re
Nov 19, 2013 Sammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theatre
I'm so very glad to have this as part of my collection. I adore the layout and aims of Bate & Rasmussen's RSC Complete Works, even if I ultimately believe the more all-encompassing scholarship of the Ardens is the pinnacle in Shakespearean research. But every home should have a complete works, and the RSC is top-notch.

Of course, a "Collaborative Works" is always going to be divisive among reviewers, and my own mind is both rapturous and doubtful about this edition. The plays herein are fres
Feb 11, 2014 May rated it liked it
I was so happy when I won this book (it's my first win too)! My English class does not talk about literature. Its main focus is more on writing., but I pull out this book sometimes to act it out. I enjoy reading plays when I'm bored because then I get to play someone else. I feel like I'm in their world rather than mine. However, it sucks sometimes that I have to play all the characters because I'm alone.
Dec 23, 2013 Nolan rated it really liked it
Well, this was quite a book! It included some great Shakespeare plays (I know about the debates on his authorship, of course), not to mention a few pictures and notes. There were a few things I wanted to mention about the Goodreads First Reads copy (advanced copy):
From a formatting point of view, I think the font should be at least a little bigger. Perhaps this is to be corrected for the final edition?
Another thing, in the advance copy I won, there are some plays missing. Pages 71-206 ("Locri
Dec 22, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
Full disclosure up front: I won this book through FirstReads.

I love Shakespeare and the Apocrypha--a series of plays he might or might not have had involvement with--is something I was eager to explore, so I was excited to win this book. There is one problem with the book I received, though: the advanced copy only had three of the 10 plays listed in the contents. It is unfortunate because what is here is great. And it's not only the plays but the scholarship in this book that is impressive too.
Kurt Daw
Feb 16, 2014 Kurt Daw rated it really liked it
This is an excellent volume, with many carefully edited and printed plays. The author's argue that some of them are partially by Shakespeare (as collaborator or as play doctor) but it has been relatively poorly received because their own essays argue against attribution of ANY part of several of the included plays to Shakespeare. It rather begs the question why they included them.

The essays (especially Will Sharpe's extended essay on authorship and attribution) are the best part of the volume, a
Julie Bozza
Oct 29, 2014 Julie Bozza marked it as to-read
Another birthday pressie from my awesome sister. The companion volume to the first, covering in wonderful scholarly detail all 'The Shakespeare Apocrypha'. (Sometimes I really do wish I was immortal-ish.)
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Edward Rustin
Edward Rustin rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Fergus Carroll
Fergus Carroll rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
C.A. marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Jem Bloomfield
Jem Bloomfield rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Danielle Alicia Klaus
Danielle Alicia Klaus marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Colin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kevin Simoneau
Kevin Simoneau marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Erasmus marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Maria Kinsman
Maria Kinsman marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Katerina Stournara
Katerina Stournara marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
R. marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Hannah added it
Dec 02, 2015
Sarah Schofield
Sarah Schofield marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
William Shakespeare & others plays 1 1 Dec 19, 2013 01:38PM
  • The First Folio of Shakespeare, 1623
  • Becoming Shakespeare: The Unlikely Afterlife That Turned a Provincial Playwright into the Bard
  • The Globe Guide to Shakespeare
  • The Kindness Ambassador and the Sugarholic Prosecutor: 13 Keys to Living the Life You Are Meant to Love
  • A Mere Christian
  • Hollywood or Bust
  • Dying to Live: Running Backwards Through Cancer, Lupus and Chronic Illness
  • Franco's Crypt: Spanish Culture and Memory Since 1936
  • Being Berlusconi: The Rise and Fall from Cosa Nostra to Bunga Bunga
  • Lifelong Love: When You Know Better, You Do Better. (Book 1)
  • Bombing Nazi Germany: The Graphic History of the Allied Air Campaign That Defeated Hitler in World War II
  • The Second Coming: America's Second 9/11 Attack
  • Hart's Grove
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
Jonathan Bate CBE FBA FRSL is a British academic, biographer, critic, broadcaster, novelist and scholar of Shakespeare, Romanticism and Ecocriticism. He is also Professor of English Literature at the University of Oxford and Provost of Worcester College, Oxford. A Man Booker Prize judge in 2014.

He studied at the University of Cambridge and Harvard University. He has been King Alfred Professor of E
More about Jonathan Bate...