Start by marking “Rex Regis (Imager Portfolio, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rex Regis (Imager Portfolio, #8)

Rex Regis (Imager Portfolio #8)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,006 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The saga of the Imager Quaeryt, Commander in the forces of Lord Bhayar, reaches a new climax as the great struggle to unify the continent of Lydar enters its final phase. Only the land of Khel remains uncommitted to Bhayar’s rule. Their decision could mean a lasting peace, or more conflict across an already war-ravaged realm.

While the conqueror of Bovaria awaits emissaries
Published January 7th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Rex Regis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rex Regis

Words of Radiance by Brandon SandersonThe Broken Eye by Brent WeeksTower Lord by Anthony  RyanPrince of Fools by Mark  LawrenceSkin Game by Jim Butcher
Can't Wait Sci-Fi/Fantasy of 2014
93rd out of 493 books — 2,531 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiRuin and Rising by Leigh BardugoInto the Still Blue by Veronica RossiDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
End of Series in 2014
65th out of 118 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
Odlican zavrsetak koji fino odgovori na sva pitanja, nagradi pravedne i kazni negativne likove.

Jedino sto mi je smetalo sto ume relativno cesto da se ponavljaju neka objasnjenja i razgovori Koje glavni lik vodi posto istu stvar objasnjava gomili drugih likova. Ima smisla sto se price tice ali majko nervira kada moram nesto treci put da citam unutar 10 strana, al dobro to su vec manje zalbe.
Bryan Brown
This was a very satisfying ending to the Imager prequel series. You should know that this set of books is set 750 years in the future of the first three Imager books. It concludes the story of the Rex Regis mentioned in the initial trilogy and more importantly the story of his then unnamed imager.

This story returns from the war stories of the previous two into more of the political and philosophical ruminations of the first one. I found it engaging and fun to read. It is full of your classic Mod
Liviu
very appropriate ending to Quaeryt's story though of course one wants more in the Imager universe; more in the vein of book 1 with intrigue rather than battles, and almost all the little things from the first books (eg the fate of the last Khanara of Tilbor or of Eluisa's family or who wrote the book about Rholan that is quoted throughout) are settled here, while in a very nice salute to the Rhenn books, new student Imagers with names like Poincaryt and Chartain appear, as well as the path to as ...more
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

This volume in the second part of the Imager Portfolio, which started with Scholar, has been about the consolidation of Bhayar’s rule over Tilbor and conquest of the rest of the continent in order to create the continental empire that becomes the Solidar we know in the first volume Imager. It’s been a long ride, or read.

Rex Regis is Bhayar’s title, or it will be if Quaeryt gets the job done, because Quaeryt has been the mover and shaker (sometimes literally
Alexander Smith
I was very disappointed with this final book of the series. Normally I like Modesitt books because they are consistent and are ths a familiar friend. Normal stories have a series of small events that build up to a large event. Sort of like build-up, event, build up, event, build up, EVENT. This book was one long build up to a very small and disappointing event. Basically it flatlined. No new character development was necessary and in fact none was given and instead the author rehashed all the ba ...more
Jim
A pretty good wrap up to the series, but 5 books was a bit many for this particular character. He had a lot to do with very limited resources & murky problems. Very realistic issues that went well with the theme of hard work making for good fortune. In 5 books, this point became repetitive. Then Modesitt took him in a direction I didn't care for. (view spoiler) The ch ...more
Stefan
Rex Regis is the eighth overall novel in L.E. Modesitt Jr.’s Imager Portfolio and the fifth one in the series-within-a-series about Quaeryt. The first three novels, with Rhennthyl as their protagonist, were set later in this fictional world’s timeline. Scholar, the first Quaeryt novel, moved the story several centuries into the past, initially making these books feel somewhat like prequels that mainly served to show the origins of the world of Imager, Imager’s Challenge and Imager’s Intrigue.

How
D.w.
This is the last book in this series of 5 of the Imager series. The final notes of how the entire continent was conquered and made safe for Imagers to live and flourish.

Once more we see the formula that Modesitt has employed and we are heartily glad that this end over 3000 pages of material that might have been told in 1000. Repetition has not done much for the success of this series. School taught us that we need to mention a thing 3 times for it to stick, not a dozen times.

Yet, we are happy to
Frode
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is one of my favorite Sci-fi/fantasy authors. Having read all the previous books in the series, the characters were quite familiar, and the story of Quaeryt ends well. It was bittersweet in the sense that his story is over even though it ended well. The husband-wife relationship between Quaeryt and Vaelora is both sweet and humorous. It would be a better world if all married folks handled their difficulties in like manner. There is a good mi ...more
Brian Palmer
I fear I'm done with Modesitt's fantasy, at least for a long time. Modesitt's fantasy hasn't been challenging its readers in a long, long time; the main character is always a minor variation on a stock 'careful planning, uber rational character given unparalleled magic powers who develops insight into magic, usually aided or predictd by a prophecy.'

This book was so stuck in that rut it was a parody of the concept. It spent a huge amount of time resolving threads opened up in the second half of t
Colleen
At long last, the story of Quaeryt Rytersen has come to an end, two books later than I expected. The previous two books were building to this conclusion, so there were nearly no surprises. Instead, this was a book of methods to bring the reader back to the first book in the series, set 500 (guessing) years after this one. How was the country of Solidar established (in the end), how was the Imager Collegeum built, and why was the government structured the way it was in Rhenn's time?

Modesitt is al
Keilani Ludlow
What can I say? I'm a huge fan of the entire series. Odds are you aren't picking up #8 in the series without having read the first seven (or even the series about Imagers that was written first, but to which this is a prequel series) and so no need to give too much detail.

As usual, most of the names are a spaghetti mess of constants and vowels, impossible to pronounce and hard to remember.

Following our wonderful hero and his wife as they move on to more active government roles, support Lord Bha
Kevin
This looks to be the final book in this excellent series. I would love for it to continue, but the author probably feels that he has wrapped things up. He'll probably start a new series in a similar setting as he has done in the past.
This author is very intellectual, philosophical, and spiritual without beating you over the head with his beliefs. I appreciate that.
I enjoyed the characters here, but there were too many minor characters for me to keep track of. Also, the names were similar and not
Karen
Rex Regis is a well written conclusion to a long story. The 5th book following Quaeryt and Vaelora consolidating Bhayar's rule, the book nicely ties up loose ends while leaving intriguing hints at the continuation of the world with a female imager. I appreciated the conclusion of Quaeryt's story but it was not the action packed adventure the other books were, nor was the intrigue as compelling.
Robert Brown
While the story is a bit of a regurgitation of "Scholar," with episodes from "Imager's Battalion," the story-line concludes in a satisfying manner. I REALLY enjoy reading, and often re-reading, the entire "Imager Portfolio" series; and, this will be a series I often re-visit.

Modesitt's regular jumping around the timelines of his "worlds" is something that can put off many from enjoying his books. However, as long as he sticks with this "new" mode of writing a series of books in the same timeline
William Bentrim
Rex Regis by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is a continuation of the Imager Portfolio. Quaeryt continues to discover that there are normally unforeseen results to every situation. The war may be over but the battle for peace is just beginning.

Melding self awareness with the humbling recognition that your body, soul and talent are seen as a tool to preserve the status quo provides the mental angst typical of Modesitt’s work. I still feel that the philosophic aspects of Modesitt's work are wrapped in the
Fantasy Literature
Regis Regis is the eighth book of the IMAGER PORTFOLIO and the fifth book following Quaeryt. After literally years of hard work, war, and nothing less than miraculous events, the curtain begins to close on this part of Solidar's history.

The fall of Antiago had been particularly painful for Quaeryt because of the loss of his child when his wife was injured. The reality of the constant threat of power-hungry competitors to influence the future of the continent of Lydar leaves Quaeryt with very lit
Mic
I felt like I was reading a diary. Typical of the author's style he is absorbed by the mundane to fill pages. Occasionally he writes in something exciting or clever. Just often enough to keep me interested. This time he failed miserably. The main thrust of the story in this book ended not with an exciting climax nor even a creative way of ending the challenge. Instead it ends with a whimper and an allusion to who may be responsible for a development that lacked imagination and creativity.

I am fi
Joseph S. Duval
Rec Regis is an excellent addition to the imager series.

L. E. Modesty Jr. it's one of my favorite authors in no small part because of the way he crafts his stories with interesting and believable characters. The settings and actions are detailed and reasonable. This latest book in the story of Quaeryt brings the reader one step closer to understanding how Solidar and the imagers came to be. For those who have not read the first three books of the imager series, I would recommend that you read th
April
I enjoyed this YA fantasy in the world of Recluse. In this book, Modesitt goes way, way back to the dream and building of the first Collegium for Immagers. Quaert, brother in law to his lord and master, is also his right hand man. Modesitt portrays a man who is truly obedient to his king while also trying to preserve his own dream of justice and fairness. The enemies are all outside Quaert's little circle of trust and he comes off as more capable by far than the brother-in-law king, but the plot ...more
BobA707
Summary:The final book (currently) in the imager series - just as good as the rest, highly enjoyable. In some ways an unnecessary book as its about domestic (treason etc) problems rather than uniting the land. But good stuff and a fitting finale. Recommended.

Plotline: Great plot although more predictable that some of the earlier books.

Premise: Imaging works very well

Writing: Simple, elegant very descriptive. I love the descriptions of drink and food

Ending: Goal achieved (not bad after 8 books)

Pa
phillip
A wonderful end to the begining

As I read the imager series, I was saddened at the end of the story of the characters lives. I wanted more and only had the next story to read. then I got to know the characters and was once again saddened at the ends of their stories. finally the story that started it all soon had me totally endorsed and slowly filled in gaps and questions raised in previous stories in the future. a wonderful ending to the beginning. PRN
Henry Lazarus
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. is one of my favorite authors. Rex Regis (hard from Tor)completes the five part prequel to his world where People work magic by imaging things. Lydar was all by conquered by Quaeryt in the previous books and all that remains is a treaty with the fifth section of the Island. However treason sends Quaeryt to the north where he is ambushed by enemy Imagers. Other than that excitement, the Island of Imagers is built and a place for them found in society. It’s a quiet tale and a n ...more
Ron
L. E. Mosesitt, Jr. continues to flesh out his Imager series with Rex Regis. This volume has less action sequences and more world building as Quaeryt and Velora travel back to Variana, and then aid Bhayar in settling issues with Khel and scheming military high command. The pace is leisurely and ends with the consolidation of the continent, setting the stage for the first three Imager volumes. Enjoy where Modesitt and the Imager volumes are read.
Nate
Did you read the previous four books in the series? Then you pretty much know where this one starts out, where it will end up, and how it will get there.

If you haven't read it, did you read the recluse books? Then you can figure out 95% of it from that.

Eventually all his protagonists sound exactly the same, and end up with exactly the same wife.
Brian Chafin
Denouement for the series

This book is a necessary capstone for the second arc of the Imager series. If this arc were considered as a single book, Rex Regis would be the denouement. It wraps up all of the plot lines, so readers of the other books should read it. On the other hand, like most denouements, it doesn't have a lot of suspense.
Samantha
A good finish to the Imager Portfolio series. The Quaeryt - Vaelora - Bhayar relationship is a particular delight. There's one rather surprising development, left dangling in what is otherwise a familiar style and story progression. It's a pleasure to follow along and learn how Solidar came to be.
Linda
I have read a lot of the Recluse series but this is the first in the Imager series I have come across and L.E. Modesitt, Jr. does not disappoint. I will be returning to the library to search out some of the prior seven. Great characters,excellent fully realized plot, in a well thought out world.
Fredrick Danysh
As Lord Bhayar waits on news from Khel in his attempt to create one kingdom on Lydar, he begins to have suspicion about several of his officers in the north so he sends Quaeryt and several other imagers to investigate. Quaeryt must put down a rebellion before it starts. This is a gripping read.
Yune
Read if you've read the previous book (Antiagon Fire).

A satisfying conclusion to the series, for all that it ended fairly predictably; as is the tendency with Modesitt's works, I liked the feeling that it was well-earned.
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
  • Hunter's Academy (Veller, #2)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • Mutineer (Alexis Carew #2)
  • Skirmish (The House War, #4)
  • Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)
  • Magus (Advent Mage Cycle, #2)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
  • The Healing Spring (The Inner Seas Kingdom, #1)
  • A Plunder of Souls (Thieftaker Chronicles, #3)
  • Soul of Tyrants (Demonsouled, #2)
  • Light In The Barren Lands (Travail Of The Dark Mage, #1)
  • Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy, #5)
  • Silverkin
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Imager Portfolio (9 books)
  • Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • Scholar (Imager Portfolio, #4)
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Imager's Battalion (Imager Portfolio, #6)
  • Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio, #7)
  • Madness in Solidar (Imager Portfolio, #9)
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)