Start by marking “Blood Always Tells” as Want to Read:
Blood Always Tells

Blood Always Tells

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Dominique Monaghan just wanted to get even with her two-timing, married boyfriend, a washed-up boxer stuck in a toxic marriage to a dangerously spoiled socialite.However, an elaborate blackmail scheme soon lands her in the middle of an unexpected kidnapping... and attempted murder. But who is actually out to kill whom?

Desmond Edgars, Dominique’s big brother, has looked out
Published April 15th 2014 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Always Tells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Always Tells

Amy Lignor
An extremely good read, the characters in this suspense bring excitement to every page.

Dominique Monaghan is a supermodel who is, shall we say, a little past her prime. She has decided to get even with her ex-boyfriend, Gary Cowan, for stringing her along and playing a game she’s just figured out. For one thing, he is married. A boxer who is also past his prime, Gary is in a marriage with a very spoiled socialite who’s more than a little dangerous.

The supermodel, of course, is a bit dangerous to
Benoit Lelievre
I was kind of excited to learn Hilary Davidson was done with her Hitcockian Lily Moore trilogy, not because it was bad, but because I know for a fact it's only one side of her writing talent. Everyone who had read her short stories know how singular and twisted she can get. Then comes BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS, her first standalone novel.

Hilary Davidson is such a gifted classical storyteller. She doesn't play with the form at all, her novels real like airport thrillers, except they're a lot more comple
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
"...I also know that blood always tells. Your mother was a murderer. You're capable of killing a man just like she did."

Blood Always Tells was an incredible story about what means to lose a family and stick to them even after they are gone. It had everything. Amazing plot, great characters, and non stop action with twists that noone could have predicted.

Story starts off when Dominique puts together a plan to set up her ex-boyfriend Gary to tell her the truth about his wife. Spending a weeke
(;Lucy.Lala;) (;Book-A-Holic;)
They're two things I wanted to say before I start my review:

One: I won this book in a goodreads giveaway, and I have to say, I am glad, because this book left me at the edge of my seat, and left me wanting more!!

Two: This is my very first book that I have read from this author... I know I'm horrible, but I just discovered her through this book, and now I want to read more of her books....

Anyway on with the review!

This book has a person named Dominique (I don't like that name, too long :P).
S
Rory Costello
The setup here is reminiscent of an Elmore Leonard tale -- but before long, this story heads into darker terrain. I particularly enjoyed the sharp wit that's on display, especially with regard to New York society. That aspect reminded me a great deal of Dominick Dunne's work.

Where Hilary Davidson differs from other authors, however, is in how she crafts her stories. There are multiple layers, which she reveals expertly. As with her Lily Moore books (of which I have read two), the inner workings
Kerry Clare
I came to crime fiction via Kate Atkinson, so Hilary Davidson is something of a departure. She’s less blurry about genre, more bare-bones, hardboiled. Though not so much that there isn’t a character here who isn’t always spouting literary allusions, this time Marcus Aurelius. And the spouter is Desmond Edgars, a fascinating character, a helicopter pilot who hauled his own good self out of a troubled youth by way of a good education and military service. Though there is a hollowness to him, somet ...more
Renee
Apr 28, 2014 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: wcls
In a stand-alone story based in NYC, Hilary Davidson gives us many of answers and then robs us of the easy solutions. That is just the way I like it.

Davidson is also the queen of 'fore-shadowing', one of my first-learned and ever-favorite literary terms. And why does she wear the crown? Because she fore-shadowed the reveal of an old secret. Yes, she built UP to the PAST! (Kinda Doctor Who-ish.)

Okay, it has probably been done before and a reader probably knows the big secret before the reveal.
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS is a twisted tale of revenge, murder, family, and loyalty. Dominique Monaghan is a beautiful woman who fell for the wrong married man. When she found out he was also cheating on her, she comes up with a plan to blackmail him. Yet, it backfires in a big way and she finds herself kidnapped along with her cheating beau. Desmond Edgars is Dominique’s brother and protector. Always looking out for her since their mother was convicted for Dominique’s father’s murder; he doesn’t hesit ...more
Kim Fay
Congrats to Hilary Davidson for this chilling standalone departure from her Lily Moore series. I read all the Lily books and will follow her anywhere, but I'm glad Davidson took a break, because I needed this book for an escapist day of rapid page turning. I wouldn't quite call this a beach read - too many deaths (and some violence) for a sunny day. This is the story of a woman, Dominique, who discovers that her married lover is cheating not only on his wife, but on her, as well - and decides to ...more
Shonna Froebel
This mystery thriller is a stand alone novel. As it begins Dominique Monaghan, a model turned stylist, has reconnected with an ex-boyfriend that she feels had wronged her. She has plans to get even, but are those plans really her own, or was she influenced by someone with their own agenda? As the evening begins to go horribly wrong and she finds herself the victim of a kidnapping, she begins to question her boyfriend's actions and realize that she is in over her head. She calls the one person sh ...more
Lisa
Since it was frigid in Denver, it was time to read a new mystery by one of my favorite authors Hilary Davidson. Blood Always Tells is the story of model/stylist Dominique who falls for the wrong man. Both have secrets and he has enemies. Dominique's brother Desmond is summoned and must figure out the mystery, the secrets while shedding light on his troubled past. It was hard to put down, as are all of Davidson's. I highly recommend it!
Brandon Nagel
Hilary Davidson can tell a story like no other...she could make the ABC's exciting. I love her Lily Moore series and when I found out about the stand alone, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Not disappointed. Everything about the story was excellent. I would recommend this book to anyone who READS. Doesn't matter if you like mysteries, crime, noir, whatever. Just a damn fine read.
The Baking Bookworm
My Review: I wasn't sure what to expect from Hilary Davidson because I hadn't heard about her before and had only picked up this book based on my long-time friend (and fellow Library Assistant) Beth's insistence that it was a good suspenseful read. Honestly, a 'word of mouth' read is one of my favourite ways to find a new author and Beth knows me and my 'book likes' so very well.

Blood Always Tells starts off strong because Davidson doesn't waste any time getting into the storyline and suspense.
bookczuk
I have enjoyed Hilary Davidson's series centered on Lily Moore, which are not only mysteries, but, since the main character is a travel writer (as the author is) take me on a journey to a new location, as well. When I heard that a new novel was out, I snagged a copy, not even noting at all what it was about. In this case, the novel is a stand alone, but carries with it the same crafting of a mystery that hooked me with earlier writing.

A beautiful woman wants revenge on her charming but deceitfu
Steve Weddle
I know Hilary Davidson. She blurbed my book. I've interviewed her a number of times for the DoSomeDamage blog. She's good people. So, if I hadn't liked this book, I would have just not said anything. That happens sometimes among writers. Luckily, that's not what happened this time.
BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS is my favorite Davidson novel, and that's saying something.
I really enjoyed the Lily Moore books - the travel and intrigue and all.
This novel takes all that was great about those and adds something,
Lynne
Before reading Hilary Davidson’s Blood Always Tells I was on the verge of another book slump but luckily this book prevented that from happening. Blood Always Tells is a story that is told in different parts with three different narrators. It starts with Dominique Monaghan, a model with pretty horrible taste in men. When we first meet her, she is having an affair with a married ex-boxer. One day while trying to get revenge on him, the two of them end up getting kidnapped. The second part is then ...more
Eve Nolon
The first I've read from Davidson although I remember wanting to read her debut when Laura Lippman recommended it. I grabbed this at Audible when I couldn't find anything else, to be honest, but what a delicious surprise. Davidson is extremely talented in crafting characters that organically move the story along from one surprise to another. Davidson breaks out of the typical crime format and does amazing things for it. I enjoyed this so much and cannot wait to read more of her novels.
Joe
What I love so much about Hilary Davidson's work is her ability to be both cutting edge and mainstream. She knows the tropes of the genre, then delights in twisting those rules, tweaking expectations, and standing everything on its ear. Here, Davidson plays with POV, dividing her novel into three parts, as told by Dominique, Desmond, and Polly, with the bulk of the narrative falling on that second player. And it really feels like Desmond's story, and his character more than carries the weight. T ...more
Debbie
Wow! I could not put this book down. There were so many twist and turns. Just when I thought I figured something out - something unexpected would happen. I thought it was well written and liked the main characters, as flawed as they were. This is the first Hilary Davidson novel I've read but I think I need to read others. Once I get caught up with laundry and other chores...
B.j. Thompson
Another pick from the library bookshelves. Less than 100 pages into it, I realized I had no interest in reading any more. This book is meant to be a mystery/thriller and an exciting edge-of-the-seat read. Just didn't cut it. Weird story line, weird characters, not thrilling, and not exciting. It goes back to the library unread.
Elaine
I think that this is Hilary Davidson's best book so far. It was impossible to put down.

The first part of the book tells Dominique's story. When she is murdered, her brother Desmond is the focus.

Finally we hear about Polly, who is a victim of her evil brother. Woven together the story is fascinating.
Kathleen Dore
Fantastic book. I couldn't wait to read the next chapter and had that bittersweet feeling that comes at the end of an excellent book - happy to have read it, but sad to close the cover on this one. Good news is that Davidson's next won't disappoint...I just have to wait for it.
Ehbooklover
4.5 stars. A great stand-alone thriller by the author of the Lily Moore mystery series. This was an edge-of-your-seat suspense story that is told from the point of view of three equally interesting characters that never let up. Full of twists and turns, I couldn’t put this one down and finished it in just one day!
Helene
I really enjoyed the first two parts of this novel told by Dominique's voice, then by her brother Desmond. The third part was told by an unexpected character. I wish this character was more developed in the novel. It did have twists and turns that made it very interesting!
Sheila
I'm a fan of Hilary Davidson's Lily Moore series, so I was curious about her first non-series book. It completely blew me away. Blood Always Tells is one of the most compelling books I've ever read. It's also completely twisted — I kept thinking I had it figured out, only to find the book going in an unexpected direction. I highly recommend it!
Kevin Egan
A birthday cake of a book with three distinctly textured layers held together by smooth writing. But don’t let the cake image fool you into believing that BLOOD ALWAYS TELLS is sweet. Once Hilary Davidson sets her characters spinning, anything can happen – and in this marvelous thriller, anything does.
Emily Klein
I was nervous when I realized that this was not a Lily Moore book, but all of her characters are always so rich and I was not let down. I hope we meet some of these again. Excellent, well paced, engaging. I loved it!
Bill Loehfelm
A barnburner. Does one my favorite things a thriller can do, hits you with a stunning EARLY twist that blows everything wide open for the rest of the book. The surprises keep coming after that, too.
Stacey
70 pages into this book I put it down. I was bored even though there was things happening. Just didn't catch my interest.
Katherine
Didn't get far before I stopped reading this book. Plot was weirdly improbable.
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Muzzled (Kate Turner, DVM #1)
  • Wakulla Springs
  • Infidelity
  • Midnight
  • Hot Stuff
  • Going Home Again
  • The Two Sisters of Borneo (Ava Lee, #6)
  • 12 Rose Street (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery, #15)
  • A Measure of Blood (Richard Christie, #7)
  • They Danced by the Light of the Moon
  • A Door in the River (Hazel Micallef Mystery #3)
  • The Good Cop: A Mystery (Carter Ross, #4)
  • Flee, Fly, Flown
  • The Pillow Book of the Flower Samurai
  • And Sometimes I Wonder About You (Leonid McGill, #5)
  • Music of the Swamp
  • Between
Hilary Davidson’s first novel, THE DAMAGE DONE (Forge, 2010) won the 2011 Anthony Award for Best First Novel, and the Crimespree Award for Best First Novel. (It was also a finalist for the Macavity and Arthur Ellis awards). It launched a series featuring travel writer Lily Moore, and continued with 2012's THE NEXT ONE TO FALL and 2013's EVIL IN ALL ITS DISGUISES. Her first standalone novel, BLOOD ...more
More about Hilary Davidson...
The Damage Done The Next One to Fall Evil in All Its Disguises The Black Widow Club: Nine Tales of Obsession and Murder Frommer's New York City Day by Day